Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Any advice on interpersonal conflicts of a 3 year old?

We come home by ~5, and the inlaws stay for dinner by the time we finish cooking around 7; they spend their weekdays watching the two gremlins. The big mister decides, every day, that grandma and grandpa are anathema as soon as one of his parents comes home, and he tries his best to make it known he wants the grandparents to leave. He tries to hit, he screams, etc. We try the carrot. We try the stick. He persists.

He cannot explain why he wants them gone. If they try to speak or engage with him, he gets madder. It can devolve into a tantrum until dinner time, then he returns to loving them at the dinner table, then dinner ends, and he's back to trying his best to be hostile toward them.

What is going on with his internal monologue. I simply don't get it. He loves them! Is this a phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

He's three.
It's probably just his way of saying he wants to spend time with Mom and Dad since they are his main people and he obviously doesn't get social niceties yet because he's three. I would just guess he's trying to communicate in the only way that he knows how that he wants to hang with his parents now.

This is something that the parents and grandparents need to just roll with and not be offended by. It's not that he doesn't love them, It's just that he wants to chill with his main people.

Can the grandparents start dinner or whatever when Mom or Dad gets home so one of you guys can give him your full attention will not trying to force any interaction with Grandma and Grandpa until he's gotten to hang with you guys a bit?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

hooah posted:

Our son will be 5 in October, and he is only kind of potty trained. He'll usually go if we ask him, but he often throws a fit about it and he has an accident at least once a week - always pee. So far we've tried a sticker chart with toys and treats as rewards, setting a timer for regular potty visits, and a chore chart which lets him earn allowance money if he doesn't have an accident or throw a fit when we ask him to try. We're out of ideas now. The only thing we've heard of that we haven't tried is letting him be naked. We've avoided that because we haven't had longer than a day and half to do it. Is most of a weekend enough time to let him be naked? What else can we try?

I don't know but if you figure it out let me know. Mine's four and never protests using the potty but if he's having fun or distracted at home he'll just wet himself a tiny bit then continue playing, so I don't know it's happened until he actually goes potty later. Never happens when we're out of the house. When I try to introduce any incentive he just decides he doesn't want that so he doesn't have to improve.
My wife's solution is just to make him use the potty constantly, which I'll grant fixes the soiled underpants, but isn't really teaching him to listen to his body for when he needs to pee, or I guess the general shame we ought to feel for pissing all over ourselves?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Renegret posted:

My kid's defective.

My daughter eats whole cucumbers out of the garden the same way.

Took all three kids solo to the local children’s museum yesterday and goddamn I’m not doing that again for a while. Managed to lose two kids at different times each for 10+ min.

One of them got read the riot act because he wandered off when I told them to stay at the table in the outside dining area while I refilled water bottles and hit the restroom literally right around the corner.

The other one, the oldest, I told her she could go ahead to the next area while her brothers were finishing up an activity. I was very, very specific about what area to be in. She did exactly that, but unbeknownst to me there was a tunnel thing in that part. When the boys and I showed up I couldn’t find her for a very long time. We went down to the rendezvous point I specified and she wasn’t there, so we went back up and she finally was out of the tunnel area. At that point I had had enough and we left, because I didn’t want to lose the third kid too.

That was a very Not Fun time that I do not wish to repeat.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 26, 2023

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I can't think of anything on this earth that smells worse than the inside of a full diaper genie in summer.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

whiskas posted:

I can't think of anything on this earth that smells worse than the inside of a full diaper genie in summer.

A few years ago when we had a month straight of highs in the 90s and 100s, the smell of the diaper genie bags that were baking in the trash outside was a nightmare. I’m so glad he’s potty trained now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ughhh

The smell had a bonus psychological damage effect for reminding me of that reddit confessions post

You know the one

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sheri posted:

He's three.

This is something that the parents and grandparents need to just roll with and not be offended by. It's not that he doesn't love them, It's just that he wants to chill with his main people.

Yes

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

whiskas posted:

Two years ago my wife accidentally left a poopy diaper in her car and let it bake in the summer sun for two days . It was pretty bad. The only saving grace is that she had to deal with the stink and not me.

Also in the picture I posted I just realized I gave my kid a Christmas Mickey mouse plate in July. I don't even give a poo poo it's a good plate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
List of most pointless things in the world

1. Metaverse
2. Twitter rebranding to X
3. Diaper genie carbon filters

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I got the cheapo generic diaper pail and then stuffed a big sock filled with activated charcoal in it. It kinda works.

Started to stink again after about a year and a half so I replaced it with a new batch.

Took the kiddo to the playground today and he wanted to chase me, but when I got tired I abused toddler pathfinding mechanics. You can break these little guys pursuit if you just go up and down a ladder. He had to run all the way around and up to the top of the structure and take a slide back down each time.

Then he hit the dog with his little toddler chair like a professional wrestler and I put him in timeout for a couple minutes and made him say sorry.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

sheri posted:

He's three.

Thank you. I'm reorienting my perspective. Tired.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

A Bad King posted:

Thank you. I'm reorienting my perspective. Tired.

It's hard because sometimes it seems like they are so much more mature than you'd ever expect them to be and then this kind of thing happens and you just have to remind yourself their brains aren't done cooking yet

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Olanphonia posted:

It's hard because sometimes it seems like they are so much more mature than you'd ever expect them to be and then this kind of thing happens and you just have to remind yourself their brains aren't done cooking yet

He surprises me every day with his brain. Yes. Tie it with his baby brother still not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time and that exhaustion and yeah ...I needed the perspective adjustment, he's still my tiny mister and he needs our help and understanding with big feelings.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

nachos posted:

List of most pointless things in the world

3. Diaper genie carbon filters

Lmao what

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think toddler brains kind of short circuit sometimes (okay, multiple times a day).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Like I get the point of a diaper genie but it isn’t really necessary. We used a foot-activated lid regular-rear end trash can from ikea that you can pull the pail out for dumping/cleaning.

Dump baking soda in the bottom, wrap them up tight, and if you start to smell it it’s time to empty. Even with twins it worked just fine.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

A Bad King posted:

Any advice on interpersonal conflicts of a 3 year old?

We come home by ~5, and the inlaws stay for dinner by the time we finish cooking around 7; they spend their weekdays watching the two gremlins. The big mister decides, every day, that grandma and grandpa are anathema as soon as one of his parents comes home, and he tries his best to make it known he wants the grandparents to leave. He tries to hit, he screams, etc. We try the carrot. We try the stick. He persists.

He cannot explain why he wants them gone. If they try to speak or engage with him, he gets madder. It can devolve into a tantrum until dinner time, then he returns to loving them at the dinner table, then dinner ends, and he's back to trying his best to be hostile toward them.

What is going on with his internal monologue. I simply don't get it. He loves them! Is this a phase?

my daughter will do the same thing, but with specific activities in various places. Like if mom's playing racoon & unicorn in her room, she'll physically push me out (which is extremely adorable) and make a fuss if i come in. Same thing happens in reverse if we're hiding from monsters under the cover and mom comes in the room. It was tough to adjust to at first, but she's just expressing very clearly a preference for what she wants to do.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So speaking of diaper pails, anybody know where I can just get generic bag rolls from? The refills are expensive and I feel like surely someone out there just sells bags of different diameter and I can just swap in whatever.

I may try some baking soda or something, the diaper smell is starting to breach the containment vessel.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Grocery stores in my area sell generic refills, as does Amazon. I also see some being sold on second hand websites by people who have potty trained their kids and don't need them anymore.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Boy the “the child is a child” thing is such a good reminder, especially as someone who is in a somewhat step-parent-esque role. I’m a year in (wow!) but I’m still learning what it means to be consistently around a four and a half year old. Plus mixed with the anxiety of trying to make my relationship work, not overstep, balancing schedules, etc. So I’ve definitely had occasions where kiddo says extremely kid things and my brain goes OH NO! The time he looked at and said “you should leave” was the worst, because it was like ALL THE BIGGEST FEARS! Oh no! I’m not a good presence! I’m taking his dad’s attention! He’s going to be in therapy as an adult because of this phase!

Obviously he was just in that phase of experimenting with what he can and cannot say to people. And judging by how obsessed he was with me last weekend (this was the first time he actively wanted to snuggle with just me on the couch :3), we’re doin alright.

In summary, yeah kids obviously don’t have nuance or a lot of understanding of other people’s feelings.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My kid used to reflexively favor me and then she started figuring out how to (attempt) to play us against each other. Whenever I'm holding her and she gets sad she wants mom, whenever mom's holding her she wants dad, etc. Yesterday I was going on a bike ride leaving her and her mom alone for dinner and she burst into tears and said "DADDY I DON'T WANT YOU TO GO!" This morning the mere thought of me helping her brush her teeth and playing a short peppa pig video was unacceptable, she wanted mom.

Kids!

she's still pretty cute and awesome most of the time so I guess I'll keep her.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I was told refunds returns and exchanges were prohibited? What's this about deciding to keep the child?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I ask this as my eldest has gone to defcon 1 because I didn't let him casually kick his baby brother in the face. Brotherhood is hardly a navigable waterway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Silly me thinking we had the potty thing figured out. Back to randomly peeing someplace!

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Silly me thinking we had the potty thing figured out. Back to randomly peeing someplace!

This post would be right at home in Pet Island.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Benagain posted:

My kid used to reflexively favor me and then she started figuring out how to (attempt) to play us against each other. Whenever I'm holding her and she gets sad she wants mom, whenever mom's holding her she wants dad, etc. Yesterday I was going on a bike ride leaving her and her mom alone for dinner and she burst into tears and said "DADDY I DON'T WANT YOU TO GO!" This morning the mere thought of me helping her brush her teeth and playing a short peppa pig video was unacceptable, she wanted mom.

Kids!

Kiddo will definitely switch off between what he wants me or his dad to do. Like sometimes he really REALLY wants his dad to let him out of his car seat, not me. Maybe I take it less personally because I'm not the Actual Parent. He did recently try to tell me he wanted me to help him in the bathroom and I was like love ya buddy but that's a daddy thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

whiskas posted:

This post would be right at home in Pet Island.

I feel like they're becoming animals! Summer vacation, man.

But then my girl comes down in a nice outfit with her hair brushed and horrible cake-smelling body spray on, all ready for her piano lesson and... she's a little person again

How am I supposed to emotionally handle this poo poo? It's every moment!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Benagain posted:

Kids!

I'm my son's favoured butt wiper. Needs help in the toilet? NO DAD GO AWAY I NEED MUM. I asked him why me instead of dad and he just said "you're very better at it"

Joy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody else use the Aldi diapers? Our boy is in the size 2's and I haven't been able to find any in stock in more than a week. They always have the newborns and the size 1's, then some boxes of the size 3's but the size 2 is always sold out!

We're in the Chicago area if anyone else is around there.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That's a nice steam cleaned floor and freshly painted walls and molding you got there

Would be a real shame if someone barfed on it at 2AM, now wouldn't it?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We do have a barfing pattern though, in that it's always a direct hit on me.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Day one of potty learning.

I had no idea my kid pissed this often.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Solution: just never be around the kid, then no barf!

whiskas
May 30, 2005
My kid just got some Robeez shoes, but for the life of me I can't tell right from left, the soles look symmetrical. Does the velcro face the outside or inside of their feet? Does this even matter?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

whiskas posted:

My kid just got some Robeez shoes, but for the life of me I can't tell right from left, the soles look symmetrical. Does the velcro face the outside or inside of their feet? Does this even matter?

I think the convention is for the Velcro straps to face outwards. Check a different pair of shoes for reference.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

whiskas posted:

Velcro flaps towards the outside.

I had the same issue with our baby booties shoes back when she had them

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The flap points to the foot it goes on

My 1st grade teacher taught me that and that's still how I think about it as a grown rear end adult lol

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Anyone who buys my toddler Play-Doh is on my enemies list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Renegret posted:

We do have a barfing pattern though, in that it's always a direct hit on me.

Our daughter was born super premature (<1lb!) a and a common thing that comes with that is reaaaly bad acid reflux. After we brought her home from the NICU it wasn’t unusual for mom and me to go through 3-4 outfit changes in a day. We constantly had a barfy smell to us even after showers.

Thankfully that’s been under control for the past year thanks to Nexium (which costs upwards of $400 a month retail in powdered form despite being the same goddamned thing that you can get at Costco for $12, yay America yay capitalism). It was awesome convincing my insurance company that yes in fact my child does need $5000 worth of Nexium each year

King Hong Kong posted:

Anyone who buys my toddler Play-Doh is on my enemies list.

The smell of that poo poo has always made me dry heave, even as a kid

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 29, 2023