Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I’ve invested a lot of my ego into supporting Ukraine by fighting tankies online. I don’t need some British egghead giving fuel to the vatniks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't a defence scientist, who teaches British Army staff, advises Staff and Cabinet, has advised NATO staff etc. writing an article about why Ukraine is failing and how they might succeed more substantial support, in real terms, than cheerleading them or whatever?

Proving concrete advice from a position of expertise is like, the definition of support.

the western brain is terminally diseased

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

There's actually a town called Turnips that an advance from the north might have to go through.

ТОРНИПС!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it'll be funny if the stab in the back myth construction ends up settling on the us holding the knife

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

it'll be funny if the stab in the back myth construction ends up settling on the us holding the knife

Who else would it be, really

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The eu

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Also: bad news for civilians -

This war is a stark reminder of how valuable mines are in warfare, including the weird stuff like the Russian MLRS-deployed mines that kind of spit all over an aread and are only kinda-sorta mapped, not like a clear idea of how to go clear them out specifically. I think after seeing this war play out, you're not going to see any of the major players decide to abandon landmines any time soon.

I read this as mine as in sapping at first, I wonder how long it will be until we see extensive tunneling to blow up fortifications on both sides or if that will even happen.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

yeah unless ukraine is able to get back everything russia took in the last year and also crimea, the very logical thought process will be

1. the west initially supported us to get us to fight russia
2. the west failed to supply us sufficiently to fight russia
3. the west reduced or retracted support entirely, costing us the war, which we would have won obviously, because everybody in the entire western world agreed russias defeat was inevitable earlier on in the war

like this is less a stab-in-the-back myth as it is a stab-in-the-back detailed transcription of historical events

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah how does the stab in the back myth work when it's just fact?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
all the neo-nazis who have gained power through this war are probably also just going to scape-goat all their local political enemies as an excuse to get rid of them and consolidate power

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Russians are gonna enlist the nazis and send them at the true enemy )poland)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it was there this whole time...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how many disgruntled Ukrainians, burning from their defeat by Russia, immigrating to Canada would it take to take over their government? just Chrystia Freeland

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

celadon posted:

yeah unless ukraine is able to get back everything russia took in the last year and also crimea, the very logical thought process will be

1. the west initially supported us to get us to fight russia
2. the west failed to supply us sufficiently to fight russia
3. the west reduced or retracted support entirely, costing us the war, which we would have won obviously, because everybody in the entire western world agreed russias defeat was inevitable earlier on in the war

like this is less a stab-in-the-back myth as it is a stab-in-the-back detailed transcription of historical events

It's okay I'm sure no bad blood will come of it. The West [tm] will be forgiven with a laugh over cupcakes and coffee, then they all hug.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

how many disgruntled Ukrainians, burning from their defeat by Russia, immigrating to Canada would it take to take over their government? just Chrystia Freeland

lol I can't believe the loving Ukrainians got the new Bisons first.

How hosed are we if she runs for PM? If Trudeau is like "Obama left office", to paraphrase Chapo, and Canadians just want what they see on (American) TV, we're going to be confronted with a choice between Hillary and Trump, in the form of Pierre. Not great either way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I can't believe the loving Ukrainians got the new Bisons first.

How hosed are we if she runs for PM? If Trudeau is like "Obama left office", to paraphrase Chapo, and Canadians just want what they see on (American) TV, we're going to be confronted with a choice between Hillary and Trump, in the form of Pierre. Not great either way.

There is no practical difference when discussing ingredients in a poo poo sandwich.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The Oldest Man posted:

Who else would it be, really

Ukrainian liberals.

MinutePirateBug posted:

I read this as mine as in sapping at first, I wonder how long it will be until we see extensive tunneling to blow up fortifications on both sides or if that will even happen.

Somebody get Elon Musk on the phone.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Ukrainian forces have recaptured the village of Staromaiorske

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f085120bb1d7dbf

Ukrainian forces say they have recaptured Staromaiorske
7h ago
19.29 BST

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, has posted a video showing Ukrainian soldiers saying they have recaptured the village of Staromaiorske.

The soldiers are heard saying:

35th Brigade and the volunteer Battalion “Arei” liberated the village Staromaiorske. Glory to Ukraine! Glory to Heroes!

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1684627441610891265

The village is close to the frontline of the Ukrainian counteroffensive near the border of Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia regions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russia back to learning all the wrong lessons of the past 30 years :(

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

fizzy posted:

Incidental news for Ukraine - Ukrainian forces have recaptured nothing of value

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do they tow the ammo or is it in a different truck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I should stop reading this thread before going to bed.

I dreamt I was driving around in a tank.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tankie-ish "shifting the goal-posts" copium.

Initially - "Ukraine already expended its reserves and has nothing left for a counter-offensive."

Then - "Their counter-offensive won't even reach the Russian defensive lines."

Now - "The territory they recapture in their counter-offensive is irrelevant and valueless."

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Russia back to learning all the wrong lessons of the past 30 years :(

Why are they standing so close when it fires.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

that sounds like a great dream

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

sounds like fun as long as it wasnt in Ukraine

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

CODChimera posted:

sounds like fun as long as it wasnt in Ukraine

Maybe he was driving a Challenger 2 or one of the other tanks that isn't allowed near the front.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

yea, when the forums give you wet dreams its time to pause and take stock of the situation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was in an Abrams and entered into a hull down position to ambush a convoy. I'd managed to blow up like four or five trucks but then an ATGM hit the tank near the left skirt and I had to get out. I was shooting at the rest of the convoy with a handgun and then something else hit me and then I woke up.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you were playing arma

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

How much do you think they pay for these?

lol that they spent money on that when the perfect motorcycle already exists

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

lol that they spent money on that when the perfect motorcycle already exists

They will never run out of shells with supply lines like these.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

fizzy posted:

Tankie-ish "shifting the goal-posts" copium.

Initially - "Ukraine already expended its reserves and has nothing left for a counter-offensive."

Then - "Their counter-offensive won't even reach the Russian defensive lines."

Now - "The territory they recapture in their counter-offensive is irrelevant and valueless."

They picked one of like 8 villages in a small area to brag about. Did they not capture the rest? If they did why not brag about all of them?

Are all other posters some hive mind to you? You act like it.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cromulent_Chill posted:

They picked one of like 8 villages in a small area to brag about. Did they not capture the rest? If they did why not brag about all of them?

Are all other posters some hive mind to you? You act like it.

With the notable exception of Al-Saqr, yes the other regular posters in this thread of Putinist tankies exhibit hive-minded congruence of thought and mentality.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

fizzy posted:

With the notable exception of Al-Saqr, yes the other regular posters in this thread of Putinist tankies exhibit hive-minded congruence of thought and mentality.

Seems like you're not getting a lot of the jokes.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I saw that the professor at the British staff college, whose July 20 article, Russian fortifications present an old problem for Ukraine: Russian defensive capabilities are rooted in an old but effective twentieth century military strategy was posted yesterday, and who is literally writing the book on fortifications in the 21st century, is dismayed because he has been pretty ruthlessly attacked for not supporting Ukraine. That's the critique of his article - insufficient Slava - from, as far as I can tell, the leading expert on field fortifications working today.

:psyduck:

The article directly criticizes the propaganda apparatus for giving a false impression of how the war is going, wouldn’t be at all surprised if the people trying to cancel him are part of that same apparatus.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cromulent_Chill posted:

That presumes that tankies are capable of jokes, when it is well-known that tankies are humorless, following the mold of their spiritual leaders Karl Marx and Stalin.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cromulent_Chill posted:

:ironicat:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just post news, I don’t need your commentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

fizzy posted:

That presumes that tankies are capable of jokes, when it is well-known that tankies are humorless, following the mold of their spiritual leaders Karl Marx and Stalin.

wrong tankies are jokes :byetankie: