Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Sekigahara is awesome. Highly recommend it.

Played some more DC Deckbuilder on the weekend because we were out doing a bar crawl and it packs up sort of nicely and the one guy is obsessed with it. I am still fuckin' shocked that he loves the game so much. Next to no interesting decisions and purple monkey cheese dishwasher levels of randomness. I guess if you treat it like a casual game and nothing more that's fine I suppose but it's shocking how incompetent it is when you've got Valley of the Kings right there (and also fits in a way smaller package btw [referring to the OG not then reprint]).

VVV I've played that I think and had an alright time. No one plays Love Letter anymore and it's a shame because it's honestly pretty good at what it does.

I just want Shikoku to come out so badly so I can have a beautiful new 18xx that sits unplayed.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FulsomFrank posted:

Sekigahara is awesome. Highly recommend it.

Played some more DC Deckbuilder on the weekend because we were out doing a bar crawl and it packs up sort of nicely and the one guy is obsessed with it. I am still fuckin' shocked that he loves the game so much. Next to no interesting decisions and purple monkey cheese dishwasher levels of randomness. I guess if you treat it like a casual game and nothing more that's fine I suppose but it's shocking how incompetent it is when you've got Valley of the Kings right there (and also fits in a way smaller package btw [referring to the OG not then reprint]).

Get some DC Love Letter going. Tell everyone they have to respond in the affirmative with “I am the night”

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

next time ask why he likes it so much. If it’s the IP you can suggest DC Spyfall or Love Letter. if it’s the gameplay then bring out VotK and its ilk.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

panko posted:

next time ask why he likes it so much. If it’s the IP you can suggest DC Spyfall or Love Letter. if it’s the gameplay then bring out VotK and its ilk.

It's not the IP and only loosely the gameplay. It's a game he's been playing for ~10 years and is therefore super cozy to him and his wife and, because he likes winning so much, this makes it even more appealing because he knows every card and all the synergies and what to look for. He (used to own) VotK and has played every other deckbuilder out there but returns to it time and time again like an old La-Z-Boy chair that fucks your back up every time you fall asleep in it but boy does it remind you of home and simpler times.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FulsomFrank posted:

It's not the IP and only loosely the gameplay. It's a game he's been playing for ~10 years and is therefore super cozy to him and his wife and, because he likes winning so much, this makes it even more appealing because he knows every card and all the synergies and what to look for. He (used to own) VotK and has played every other deckbuilder out there but returns to it time and time again like an old La-Z-Boy chair that fucks your back up every time you fall asleep in it but boy does it remind you of home and simpler times.

Look at the bright side, at least you dodged Munchkin

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I'll be going to GenCon with some friends this year for the first time. I've looked through the list of 500 or so games that will be there in the BGG list but it's impossible to see at a glance what looks good. What are some hotly anticipated games that I should be on the lookout for this year?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't bother with the hotness. If any new releases are good you'll be able to get them cheaper at retail in a month or so and not have to deal with the hassle. Instead, spend your time browsing for hidden gems or neat old games. There will inevitably be cool niche things that don't make it to the big sites or are older games from indie publishers that are worth your time.

Also, if you like euros the Rio Grande booth usually has great deals and does a big clearance on stuff on Sunday. You can get big box Dominion expansions for as low as $10 that way and if you have cash, often even better deals.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Radioactive Toy posted:

I'll be going to GenCon with some friends this year for the first time. I've looked through the list of 500 or so games that will be there in the BGG list but it's impossible to see at a glance what looks good. What are some hotly anticipated games that I should be on the lookout for this year?

There's still a few spots left to try out FFG's new CCG. I assume it's going to be talked about - 40 events with 30 seats each and it's basically sold out?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Bottom Liner posted:

Don't bother with the hotness. If any new releases are good you'll be able to get them cheaper at retail in a month or so and not have to deal with the hassle. Instead, spend your time browsing for hidden gems or neat old games. There will inevitably be cool niche things that don't make it to the big sites or are older games from indie publishers that are worth your time.

Also, if you like euros the Rio Grande booth usually has great deals and does a big clearance on stuff on Sunday. You can get big box Dominion expansions for as low as $10 that way and if you have cash, often even better deals.

Oh sorry I don't necessarily mean to buy, but maybe to learn/play while I'm there.

Definitely planning to try and find some fun indie stuff.

CitizenKeen posted:

There's still a few spots left to try out FFG's new CCG. I assume it's going to be talked about - 40 events with 30 seats each and it's basically sold out?

Ahh yes my friend was sad he didn't get into any Lorcana events but I think he'll enjoy this!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Radioactive Toy posted:

Oh sorry I don't necessarily mean to buy, but maybe to learn/play while I'm there.

Ahh yes my friend was sad he didn't get into any Lorcana events but I think he'll enjoy this!

Unlike Lorcana, he'll probably be able to buy Star Wars Unlimited when it drops. But yeah, Lorcana is going to be very much the talk of the town.

Ninja edit: We don't have a Lorcana thread yet, do we? Didn't see one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Ah in that case, the BGG Hot Games room is your best bet (if they do it this year). They'll have plenty of tables with dedicated teachers going. I don't think it requires tickets (maybe a single generic for entry). Any of the major releases will also have demo games going on the floor but that's a crapshoot of seeing maybe 1 round and getting a half-assed teach from the overworked demo teams.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the best board game deals of my life have happened at the gencon early morning wargames auction.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

Unlike Lorcana, he'll probably be able to buy Star Wars Unlimited when it drops. But yeah, Lorcana is going to be very much the talk of the town.

Ninja edit: We don't have a Lorcana thread yet, do we? Didn't see one.

Would it make more sense to have a general TCG thread? The non-Magic/YuGiOh/PokeMon/Flesh&Blood TCG thread, in other words. Hard to say if either Lorcana or SWU will need dedicated threads in here anytime soon. Not to mention there being a bunch of other TCGs already in a similar position

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hey 2 player wargame wifeguy I had a pretty good time playing Manoeuvre in your shoes, but as others said Sekigahara is 100% the game you want.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

uncle blog posted:

Would it make more sense to have a general TCG thread? The non-Magic/YuGiOh/PokeMon/Flesh&Blood TCG thread, in other words. Hard to say if either Lorcana or SWU will need dedicated threads in here anytime soon. Not to mention there being a bunch of other TCGs already in a similar position

Yeah, maybe? That might work. There's a generic LCG thread, and a dead CCG thread. Maybe a "CCGsc that don't yet merit their own thread" thread could have value.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

uncle blog posted:

Well, there's already a Fringe CCG thread which is a great thread. Beyond that, I think some adventurous goon could make a thread for Lorcana since it's coming out in a month and we can see about Star Wars as it gets closer.

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, maybe? That might work. There's a generic LCG thread, and a dead CCG thread. Maybe a "CCGsc that don't yet merit their own thread" thread could have value.

The Alive thread and the Dead thread heh. I guess even if Lorcana can support a thread, maybe there's call for a place for more card game talk? Then again, the One Piece game has a thread and I never heard of that.

I mean, I suggest someone :justpost: whatever they like. It's not like we're going to run out of thread juice; the only issue will be discoverability which is the case for most new threads.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

uncle blog posted:

- I looked at 878 Vikings, but seems to be out of print for the moment. Found 1812 The Invasion of Canada at a store, but - and this might sound silly - wooden cubes instead of miniatures might be enough of a turn off for me.

878 Vikings is great with two, fantastic with four. Keep an eye out for it.

quote:

- I already have Undaunted, but somehow that hasn't really clicked either (might be the lack of figures again lol).

Battle of Britain mixes things up a lot.

quote:

- I've heard Inis is good with 2, but I've played that one to death.

It REALLY is great with two. Surprisingly. Feels like a whole different game.

quote:

- Looked briefly at Memoir 44, but I have this preconception that the design might be dated (cus it's an old rear end game at this point), and might not be all that deep? Happy to be told otherwise!

It's VERY light. Not the best use of the Commands and Colours system (Ancients, Great War are both really good). If you want very light WW2, I'd say Company of Heroes is the GOAT. Combat Commander is also a fantastic light WW2, if you want to stay card driven.

quote:

- Pax Pamir: Have seen people mentioning this being good at 2, but the verdict on BGG seems to suggest otherwise, not that that is the gospel of such things. Out of stock locally anyways.

The mayhem is important.

quote:

- Ankh seems to be a pretty polarising game, but another one that people claim are good at 2 players? Fits the thematic requirements pretty well.

It's very tight. Surprisingly push-pull for a Lang game. I love it at every player count, but 2p is a bit like Inis - a bit of a transformative way to play the game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Magnetic North posted:

Well, there's already a Fringe CCG thread which is a great thread. Beyond that, I think some adventurous goon could make a thread for Lorcana since it's coming out in a month and we can see about Star Wars as it gets closer.

The Alive thread and the Dead thread heh. I guess even if Lorcana can support a thread, maybe there's call for a place for more card game talk? Then again, the One Piece game has a thread and I never heard of that.

I mean, I suggest someone :justpost: whatever they like. It's not like we're going to run out of thread juice; the only issue will be discoverability which is the case for most new threads.

I mostly just didn't want to overwhelm the Fringe thread with talk about hyped games that don't yet have a thread. But one could make a thread.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This thread isn't about a CCG based on the awesome TV show Fringe at all

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you want to see That Player Who Doesn't Understand The Rules, behold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krroyXmLWyk

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Morpheus posted:

This thread isn't about a CCG based on the awesome TV show Fringe at all

Did they ever figure out why those giant words were appearing in the sky on Fringe?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks for all the game recs. Added Sekigahara, 878 Vikings, Caesar Rome vs Gaul and Imperium to my wishlist (Imperium was already there, so it might be a long while before it's back in stock). Hopefully some of them will be back in stock soonish. Many of the other suggestions weren't even listed on any of my local avenues. Might pick up Ankh in the meantime.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

uncle blog posted:

I asked a similar question back in March. Ended up buying SW Rebellion and The King is Dead. Both decent games, but not the slam dunk success I was hoping for. So I'll try my chances asking again:
I'm looking for a new game to play with the GF. I want it too be fairly meaty lasting somewhere between an hour or two-ish, ideally not more than 3 hours. I'm probably looking for something could be considered more or less a war game. Combating over areas on a shared map and such. These are some alternatives I've explored:

- We tried Star Wars Rebellion, but found it a bit long and too abstract with the heavy focus on space combat and moving between planets.
- I looked at 878 Vikings, but seems to be out of print for the moment. Found 1812 The Invasion of Canada at a store, but - and this might sound silly - wooden cubes instead of miniatures might be enough of a turn off for me.
- I already have Undaunted, but somehow that hasn't really clicked either (might be the lack of figures again lol).
- I've heard Inis is good with 2, but I've played that one to death.
- Looked at War of the Ring, but seems very long and fiddly, not to mention having horrible UX. But the game be worth the hassle? Many seems to be raving about it.
- Looked briefly at Memoir 44, but I have this preconception that the design might be dated (cus it's an old rear end game at this point), and might not be all that deep? Happy to be told otherwise!
- I have Root and love it, but even with Hirelings I don't think it shines at only 2 players.
-Apparently Civilization A New Dawn is okay at 2 with the expansion, but there doesn't seem to that much conflict/interaction as one is generally encouraged to race towards objectives and explore away from the other player.
- Have The King is Dead, which is a pretty cool game, but too abstract and short for what I'm looking for right now.
- A bunch of people seem to love Polis, but that might be too deterministic and too much of brain-burner for us. Would love to hear some impressions!
- Hands in the Sea looks like a good fit, but unfortunately impossible to get hold of.
- Shores of Tripoli seems fine? Might be a bit light, and seems a bit hard to get my hands on.
- Pax Pamir: Have seen people mentioning this being good at 2, but the verdict on BGG seems to suggest otherwise, not that that is the gospel of such things. Out of stock locally anyways.
- Dwellings of Eldervale: This looks like a parody of Kickstarter mishmash, but is apparently good? And might have enough combat/interaction for our tastes. Anybody tried this?
- Ankh seems to be a pretty polarising game, but another one that people claim are good at 2 players? Fits the thematic requirements pretty well.
- Tigris & Euphrates / Yellow & Yangtze: Seems like solid games, but both unavailable at the moment where I am.

tl:dr; Is there a decent medium/heavy war-ish game that's great at 2 players (could support more, or not) that lasts 2 hours or less (and has ok theme/table presence preferably with some sort of figures I can move around the map)?

edit:
Wouldn't mind there being some euro or engine building component in the game, as long as it's thematic and has some elements of area control and a lot of interaction

Napoleon's Triumph is 3 hours, so maybe pushing it, but is one of the best 2-player war games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's also in the impossible to find category though, most likely.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The holy grail is a great cup for drinking

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Carillon posted:

Napoleon's Triumph is 3 hours, so maybe pushing it, but is one of the best 2-player war games.

Marengo is up for pre order

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Marengo is up for pre order

Link?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 26, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.histogame.de/e_BonaparteMarengo.html

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a card game I had growing up. The cards were the United States (at least the continental ones; can't remember if Hawaii and Alaska were included). The goal was to lay down a path across the US by having cards that were adjacent to each other. So e.g. California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia. I think score was inversely proportional to how many neighbors a state had. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I finally got a chance to visit my parents' and the game is Mad Dash.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So a cousin somehow managed to become a homeowner, but before we eat the rich in the coming revolution, I was thinking on getting him and his wife some kind of lawn game as a house warming gift. Like Bocce or Kubbs but I've never played them, so was looking for some goon attestations/recommendations.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Mölkky

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
While I personally hate it, the most popular lawn game in America is cornhole.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean get bocce even if you haven't played? It's really great.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Make sure your cousin has enough space to play whichever game you choose. A lot of these things require a decently large yard.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I mean get bocce even if you haven't played? It's really great.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Depends on the size of the space, but I find petanque easier to play then bocce on a smaller court.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bocce is good if you wanna get on the piss :boonie:

Alternatively some backyard cricket never goes astray
https://www.triplem.com.au/story/backyard-cricket-7826

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bocce rules. It's also the only game I know of where being the one in your household who mows the lawn gives you an advantage.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Chiming in, Bocce is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Or petanque