Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've now found all 8 guilds so I can mess around more with subjobs. Did a bit of rearranging and this is what I'm rolling with now:

Temenos/Scholar
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Dancer
Ochette/Warrior

So now I have 1 strong physical DPS and 1 strong magical one, a healer/backup magic DPS and a support/backup phys DPS. Should work out pretty well I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m fairly under leveled and I’m not sure why. I’m working through most characters chapter 4s, the recommended levels for with are 30s through 40s, but most of my characters are in the mid 20s and a couple even in the teens. Hikari is at 47 because he’s my main and Osvald is close behind. I rotate the others out for each chapter so I was hoping they’d still get decent experience, but I guess not.

Not sure what I’ve done wrong. I’ve been thoroughly exploring every area for chests even when they’re recommended level is quite a bit higher and I even turned off Osvalds ability to reduce encounters, so everyone has done plenty of fights. I actually hit a wall in Agnea’s quest where you need an item that can only be obtained with her path action, but she had to be at level 25 to get it and she was at 18. I had to grind for an hour in a level 31 danger area to get her up to the requirement.

My situation seems kind of unique, most people talk about being too over leveled for their story chapters and a lot of people say you never need to grind… but somehow I’ve gotten to a point where I need to because quite a few party members can be killed in one hit in their current chapters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I ended up with a main death party that's kind of overleveled for all the content and the other half that I have to sub in for their story missions. I'm approaching the end of everyone's chapters and it's pretty drastic now, like Throne/Castti/Partitio/Hikari are all 55+ while my B-team are mid-30s or below. I'm not exactly sure how under these circumstances anyone could end up with every character overleveled for the content. What I've been doing is just taking two carries through the story missions and throwing in a couple B-team characters to get them a few levels. But the leveling curve isn't drastic, so they remain pretty consistently underleveled for their story chapters. It doesn't matter though when you have Super-Throne and Mega-Hikari destroying everything.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Throne with BP Regeneration, some buffs and Aeber's Reckoning was hilariously useful for the superboss.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't understand how you could end up with everyone being underleveled; I had the reduced encounters skill up pretty much constantly from the moment I unlocked it, and still ended up with my core team being overleveled pretty much the entire game, and the sub team catching up the curve real quick.

Have you been to any of the side dungeons? There's a bunch of areas that aren't tied to any main quests; some are related to side quests and some just have loot and an optional boss. That's the only thing I can think of.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't understand how you could end up with everyone being underleveled; I had the reduced encounters skill up pretty much constantly from the moment I unlocked it, and still ended up with my core team being overleveled pretty much the entire game, and the sub team catching up the curve real quick.

Have you been to any of the side dungeons? There's a bunch of areas that aren't tied to any main quests; some are related to side quests and some just have loot and an optional boss. That's the only thing I can think of.

Yup. I’ve been diving into every cave and tunnel that my mains are within at least two levels of and bringing a few b team members along each time. My map is mostly filled out. The only spots I haven’t been to are a few places that are like ten levels or more above my main.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's your equipment? If you've been mugging and stealing a lot you probably have some pretty badass gear and you should be able to just roll into a higher-level area and do fine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I ended the game at like level 50 overall on everyone and I did everything. I had to manually level before the superboss because incidental AoE was just killing my party. It's completely plausible if you have the reduced encounter skill on permanently.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're underleveled, you should be doing more of the optional dungeons that can be found in most zones.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Ibblebibble posted:

What's a good subjob for Osvald? I can't help but think that my current filler choice of Merchant is suboptimal for an Osvald I'm running like a main dps (though I might start running Ochette as one instead and use Osvald as a breaker).

I used Osvald in my main party as my item taker and found subbing Merchant was really nice for beating up NPCs in the mid-game. It gave him 2 weapon types for breaking, Rest let him heal both hp and sp at once so i didn't have to go to the Inn as much and break my groove, and once i unlocked it, the Merchant Divine helped me clear through a bunch of fights before i got murked, since it goes off elemental attack and is strong enough that i could use that instead of setting up with Alephan's and using the normal spells for similar damage, plus the extra cash was nice.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I dunno if anyone else has run into the same bug on PC, but I noticed during the combined Throne/Temenos quest chapter 1 that Temenos's voice acting was a lot quieter than normal compared to his solo quest. I actually had to listen closely to hear it above the BGM. Throne's voice was a normal volume still, it was just Temenos's voice along with an NPC that was weirdly quiet.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I think its universal. I had it and have seen it mentioned a good amount here and on reddit.

Same with Ori being loud.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I imagine it's because some of the lines were recorded during COVID and so they were done at home studios.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Harrow posted:

How's your equipment? If you've been mugging and stealing a lot you probably have some pretty badass gear and you should be able to just roll into a higher-level area and do fine.

I've taken everything that Agnea can get off people at her level and am flush with cash. I'm not sure I have the best grasp of the systems to always know what the best purchases are, but I think I'm alright on gear. The lowest-level characters are still going down pretty fast anytime a boss has consecutive attacks though. It's making some of the story bosses a bit less fun.

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're underleveled, you should be doing more of the optional dungeons that can be found in most zones.

Like I said before, I've been doing every optional area I've come across. Any zone that has a danger level under 40, and a few above it, I've scoured for chests. I go into every cave or weird door I see. So, unless there's something really hidden, I'm not skipping anything. The world map is pretty much filled in (Except for an island a spot on the southern tip of the eastern continent that I can't find any paths too...) and full of diamonds and caves to indicate I've visited all the little spots...

Osvald's reduced encounter ability is always off. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong to have such a different experience. It doesn't seem like this should be mathematically possible. All the quest recommendations are for Level 45 and my strongest character is 38, weakest 19.

Anyway, since it is happening, are there any fast ways to grind? I'm still having fun... but a few of these bosses... oof.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 28, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I imagine it's because some of the lines were recorded during COVID and so they were done at home studios.

That would explain it, glad I'm not going crazy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

I've taken everything that Agnea can get off people at her level and am flush with cash. I'm not sure I have the best grasp of the systems to always know what the best purchases are, but I think I'm alright on gear. The lowest-level characters are still going down pretty fast anytime a boss has consecutive attacks though. It's making some of the story bosses a bit less fun.

Ah you can probably do better with Osvald or Throné than Agnea. Osvald especially, with some finesse you can punch pretty far above your weight and get some better gear than you might be able to get with Agnea. That kind of thing is what kept me overpowered for most of the game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Harrow posted:

Ah you can probably do better with Osvald or Throné than Agnea. Osvald especially, with some finesse you can punch pretty far above your weight and get some better gear than you might be able to get with Agnea. That kind of thing is what kept me overpowered for most of the game.

Hmm, I ran around using his mug just now and... it doesn't net me much that would make a difference in the cities I've visited so far. Agnea already looted most of the gear off everyone. Mugging gets me stuff I can sell for money, but I already have more money than I know what to do with. High-level armor isn't really stopping my weaker characters from getting killed in chained attacks from bosses anyway.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I just did my usual thing of bringing along my main, the story character, and whoever was lowest level out of the rest. Never did any grinding whatsoever. Everyone was around lvl 55 by the end except for Castti, my main. She was like 70 something cuz I never took her out of my team even after I finished her quest. :3:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I thought I'd been doing the same. Really not sure what's off.

I took two of my weaker members against a boss so they'd get a bunch of XP just now. Near the end of the fight they both got killed when the boss had one break point left. I went to break it with the intent of using the break time for Temenos to resurrect the party members before Hikari nuked the boss... but the breaking attack with a staff killed the boss so the two weak party members didn't get any XP. Lol. gently caress.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alright, so now I have two choices to progress. Either I head to the northeast corner of the map which has two level 37 chapters and done 39... but to get there I need to have to go through a cave that requires everyone to be level 36 or higher. The other option is to do the level 45 chapters elsewhere on the map, but that seems unrealistic given how much trouble the level 37 chapters have been giving me.

Does anyone know if the cave requirement means I have to level everyone up or just my active members? If it's the latter then I can achieve it by bringing Agnea up eight levels, which I can probably do in an hour or so. Boring but doable. If it's the latter... fuuuuck. I might just give up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I found a door in the desert that is asking me to be alone. Is there even a way to set up a solo party? Is it a good idea to check this out at lvl 24 main character, or come back later?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can remove party members from town and no, not until you're like 45+ with your strongest character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also, when you do return to that solo dungeon, make sure to bring a skill that breaks a shield without hitting weaknesses to save some headaches.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Also, when you do return to that solo dungeon, make sure to bring a skill that breaks a shield without hitting weaknesses to save some headaches.

My main guy is Temenos so I should be fine on that front :v:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bugblatter posted:

Alright, so now I have two choices to progress. Either I head to the northeast corner of the map which has two level 37 chapters and done 39... but to get there I need to have to go through a cave that requires everyone to be level 36 or higher. The other option is to do the level 45 chapters elsewhere on the map, but that seems unrealistic given how much trouble the level 37 chapters have been giving me.

Does anyone know if the cave requirement means I have to level everyone up or just my active members? If it's the latter then I can achieve it by bringing Agnea up eight levels, which I can probably do in an hour or so. Boring but doable. If it's the latter... fuuuuck. I might just give up.

I went through the cave with a Level 45 main but everyone else like 31-33. I'm in the exact same boat with you level wise, FWIW - did both of the level 37 chapters in the northeast snow city with underleveled guys, and about to do the level 39 chapter (though they're now up to around 36-37).

I totally found the same issues you did around leveling. And yeah, the squishiness of characters in boss fights did make some of them less fun - really it meant I just optimized the hell out of the weaknesses ("you get a spear! You get a spear! Everyone gets a spear!") and spent 100% of my time breaking shields, doing unboosted attacks on vulnerable enemies (gotta save those boosts for breaks!), and doing the cleric group heals. With a little bit more HP and defense I probably could do more interesting things in bosses - the only support skill I have time to use is the Hunter one that pushes back an enemy's action to the end of a turn, that one is super useful.

I'm going to probably sit down and grind my way from level 36 to 45 after I finish this chapter, since everything I have left is 45. Should only take a couple hours, maybe I'll try using the Octopuff/Cait items as well and see if that helps.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

I went through the cave with a Level 45 main but everyone else like 31-33. I'm in the exact same boat with you level wise, FWIW - did both of the level 37 chapters in the northeast snow city with underleveled guys, and about to do the level 39 chapter (though they're now up to around 36-37).

I totally found the same issues you did around leveling. And yeah, the squishiness of characters in boss fights did make some of them less fun - really it meant I just optimized the hell out of the weaknesses ("you get a spear! You get a spear! Everyone gets a spear!") and spent 100% of my time breaking shields, doing unboosted attacks on vulnerable enemies (gotta save those boosts for breaks!), and doing the cleric group heals. With a little bit more HP and defense I probably could do more interesting things in bosses - the only support skill I have time to use is the Hunter one that pushes back an enemy's action to the end of a turn, that one is super useful.

I'm going to probably sit down and grind my way from level 36 to 45 after I finish this chapter, since everything I have left is 45. Should only take a couple hours, maybe I'll try using the Octopuff/Cait items as well and see if that helps.

Glad to know I’m not alone… but how did you get through the cave? The guard at the entrance won’t let me through even though three of my four party members are above the requirement.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just knock him out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
oh he's not actually a level check, you gotta knock him out

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh jesus christ. Been grinding my lowest level party members for nothing. Lol but also ugh.

Edit: Uuuugh, he was such an easy duel. I wasted so much time.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 28, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i had to google it :v:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The thing is I did google it and a very wrong guide said you needed to be level 36. The area is marked as danger level 36 and the guy said it was too dangerous for me every time I walked past so it made sense!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bugblatter posted:

Oh jesus christ. Been grinding my lowest level party members for nothing. Lol but also ugh.

Edit: Uuuugh, he was such an easy duel. I wasted so much time.

Time wasted now is time saved later!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

abraham linksys posted:

i had to google it :v:

When in doubt, choose violence.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Evil Fluffy posted:

When in doubt, choose violence.

I had a couple times where Throne had an 8% chance to steal a good item but Osvald (6 or 7 levels lower than her) was able to Mug the person easily.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mustard Iceman posted:

I had a couple times where Throne had an 8% chance to steal a good item but Osvald (6 or 7 levels lower than her) was able to Mug the person easily.

I’ve noticed that with info too, really difficult ones but bribing is hilariously cheap or vice versa

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I don't have the formulas but I wouldn't be surprised if Allure/Mug/Inquire end up having the slowest rises scaling to level because they're the lowest effort actions.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Oof, I really should have taken a healer into Ochette's final boss. Scraped by with only Hikari alive and a hit away from death.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've put 52 hours in this game and picked up a million evil flowers and herbs and whatever and kept thinking it was for some secret class I was going to unlock later

I just accidentally pressed left while hovering over the Medical Concoction menu item and now

goddammit

:negative:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
As if Castti's concoctions weren't broken enough, today I learned that you can combine Sealtige's Seduction with her special Remedy skill and that it can roll other ultimate buff skills. I only wish I had learned about this before the final boss. I suppose there's always the super boss.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sealticge's has a lot of fun interactions.