Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nephzinho posted:

I got a bunch of the OXO ones for like $3/ea on sale 6 months ago when I was asking this same question and plan on getting a ton more next time they do.
I like the tip on the Oxo squeeze bottles, and the integrated flip cap thing works better than the little red caps most generic squeeze bottles use (if they have caps at all). But I really don't care for their "squeezey-ness" or whatever you want to call it, and they're a pain in the rear end to clean gloopy poo poo out of, because of how small the neck the tips fit into is.

Generic food service squeeze bottles work fine and feel "right" in terms of the amount of squeezy-ness, and cut-to-size tips are good (and a finger over the tip works better for sealing for shaking than most caps), but I don't burn through a bottle of most things fast enough to be able to make do without a cap that seals well for storage. And gently caress making little bottle condoms out of foil/plastic wrap.

FIFO makes "normal" squeeze bottle tips for their bottles, so I'm going to give those a whirl and maybe live with mediocre third-party red party hat caps because the FIFO bottles are otherwise pretty good...good squeezy-ness, easy to clean, and easy to fill. And the fill-hole is a standard size (unlike the Oxo) so it's easy to find wide-mouth funnels that are an exact fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fwiw the OXO's I use have a wide mouth for easy filling and cleaning.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

fwiw the OXO's I use have a wide mouth for easy filling and cleaning.
Ah, cool. I'm talking about these guys, which are apparently "Oxo Chef's Squeeze Bottles" (they come in 16, 12, and 6 fl oz sizes):

They apparently also make l'il sippy-cup-looking things (capacity: 2.3 fl oz/68 ml) called "On-The-Go Silicone Squeeze Bottles":

...and a chonky-looking but small capacity (the big one is 6 fl oz/175 ml) "Oxo Outdoor Leakproof Squeeze Bottle Set":

Dunno if there are older products that are more like an ordinary squeeze bottle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SubG posted:

Ah, cool. I'm talking about these guys, which are apparently "Oxo Chef's Squeeze Bottles" (they come in 16, 12, and 6 fl oz sizes):

I use the 16 and 12s of these and the entire top fixture comes off, don't have any trouble getting stuff into them or cleaning stuff out. As for the "squeezability", that'll be personal preference/what you fill them with.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

I use the 16 and 12s of these and the entire top fixture comes off, don't have any trouble getting stuff into them or cleaning stuff out. As for the "squeezability", that'll be personal preference/what you fill them with.
Well, glad they work for you.

I really don't like the shoulder:

...and I find it irritating that the opening is only like 29 mm, or under an inch and a quarter.

For anyone who hasn't handled one, that's about the same size opening as in a typical spice bottle, for example. Too small to get a teaspoon into, much less a tablespoon. I think the most common thread spec for squeeze bottle tops is 38/400, which is 38 mm wide, or a hair under an inch and a half. Which is just barely big enough to admit most tablespoons, for reference.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Recently upgraded my range to an LG induction unit and I don't know why I waited so long. This thing kicks rear end. Water boils in no time flat, the heat is incredibly responsive, AND the range I got from Costco came with an induction-capable set of nonstick stuff for eggs and whatnot so I didn't feel bad tossing my old stuff.

It has an "air sous vide" feature which I'm keen on trying - IMO the biggest drawback to conventional sous vide is that it's a wet environment but I'm wondering if constantly circulating air will help promote a crust on proteins while still keeping it from overcooking. I'm sure the temperature won't be quite as precise as the water method, but it'll be fun to experiment.

Anyway, if you're considering induction, don't wait.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"Air sous vide" just sounds like a convection (air fryer) setting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

air sous vide sounds like “cook it slow and low enough that the plastic doesn’t melt”?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Air sous vide seems like just regular oven reverse searing. Which is cool and good and better than regular SV for thick things, but not something that really needed a gimmicky name

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Reverse air souvide works great on juice, flavored creams and smoothies.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure if there's air it's sans vide.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

"Air sous vide" just sounds like a convection (air fryer) setting.

It's hilarious that convection has been trend-rebranded twice now

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

My grandmother's oven had convection in it. I want something new.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So the idea of sous vide is that you put stuff in 150 degree water and eventually it entirely comes up to 150, rather than heating the outside at 450 until the inside is 150.

Does that really work with air?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

smackfu posted:

So the idea of sous vide is that you put stuff in 150 degree water and eventually it entirely comes up to 150, rather than heating the outside at 450 until the inside is 150.

combi ovens do it with humidified air, though I doubt a typical LG oven has that feature since actual combi ovens are expensive AF

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

smackfu posted:

Sure, it'll work with air, just take a lot longer due to the much lower thermal capacity of air compared to water.

Reading a bit more on the "air sous vide", you're supposed to bag the items just like you would with traditional sous vide. Probably to avoid turning the outside of a protein into jerky.

Makes me wonder about food safety, depending on how long this process takes. Probably gimmick after all.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Adding plastic waste to bake at a low temp seems very bad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Reading a bit more on the "air sous vide", you're supposed to bag the items just like you would with traditional sous vide. Probably to avoid turning the outside of a protein into jerky.
If it's bagged what is the advantage over just doing it in water?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

smackfu posted:

It would work with air but takes longer. For reverse searing, you still have a difference, but less of one so it creates less of a gradient. For example, I do pork roasts with the oven at 250°F until the center gets to 140°.

It does dry out the very exterior, but not like jerky. It sets you up perfectly for a sear that leaves an incredible crust, which is why I prefer it to SV.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mystes posted:

If it's bagged what is the advantage over just doing it in water?

I guess just that you don't have to fill the sous vide bucket and have it taking up space on your countertop the entire time. Also, the current-generation Anovas are really loving loud with an annoying medium-pitched whine I can hear throughout most of my house

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“air sous vide” sounds not very far from “smoking meat” where you surround a brisket with 225F air until it’s 205F inside. it takes 12+ hours, of course

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Fair point.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Clark Nova posted:

I guess just that you don't have to fill the sous vide bucket and have it taking up space on your countertop the entire time. Also, the current-generation Anovas are really loving loud with an annoying medium-pitched whine I can hear throughout most of my house

Get a bigger house.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Clark Nova posted:

Turn your cooking music up!

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I opened the thread to ask about spigots and oil bottles. Glad we're all on the same page.

I got a cheap AF oil bottle awhile back and as expected, the cap cover broke off and the entire outside is covered in a sheen of oil at all times. I'll probably grab some OXOs now.

On the topic of oil, I'm thinking of using avocado for my general purpose high temperature cooking. Amazon has a good price for a big bottle. I got one and it's working so far, just want to check if I'm missing something.

I'll keep a bottle of EVOO for salad dressing or flavor purposes. I typically use the Trader Joe's one with a built-in spigot. I know it's not the best quality but I don't use it often enough to justify anything fancy that will degrade within a year.

When I came into this thread I was thinking of going for glass pour bottles with a spigot if for nothing else than aesthetics. Anyone want to weigh in on why they prefer one over the other? Just the squeeze?

Also I use Torani coffee syrup (sugar-free) sometimes and I have some family/friends that do too. Are pumps the best way to go for that?

SubG posted:

Well, glad they work for you.

I really don't like the shoulder:

...and I find it irritating that the opening is only like 29 mm, or under an inch and a quarter.

For anyone who hasn't handled one, that's about the same size opening as in a typical spice bottle, for example. Too small to get a teaspoon into, much less a tablespoon. I think the most common thread spec for squeeze bottle tops is 38/400, which is 38 mm wide, or a hair under an inch and a half. Which is just barely big enough to admit most tablespoons, for reference.

Wouldn't you just squeeze into a spoon if you had to measure?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I’ve been using Avocado as my AP oil for a while now and I love it. I get the big jugs from Costco and fill smaller ones to keep by the stove and grill.

I do keep some nice EVOO around for dressing salads, bread and pizza. Peanut oil in my outdoor fryer and coconut oil for popcorn. Other than those the Avocado works for everything I’ve tried, performing as well or better than any of my previous favorites.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

For non-dipping olive oil eg cooking, salad dressing) , I like the Trader Joe’s 100% kalamata olive oil that comes in a tall rectangular bottle, but it’s been in and out of stock since the start of the pandemic so ymmv

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FaradayCage posted:

Wouldn't you just squeeze into a spoon if you had to measure?
I was thinking more of loading the bottles than getting stuff back out of them. A difference of 9 mm doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes a big difference in how much of a pain in the rear end it is to load a bunch of goopy poo poo into 'em. And also when you're cleaning them out.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

SubG posted:

I was thinking more of loading the bottles than getting stuff back out of them. A difference of 9 mm doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes a big difference in how much of a pain in the rear end it is to load a bunch of goopy poo poo into 'em. And also when you're cleaning them out.

In my restaurant days, we'd load quart tubs of sour cream into a squeeze bottle by first scooping it into a big ziploc bag with a rubber spatula, then cutting a hole in the corner of the bag and squirting it into the bottle. A bit wasteful in terms of plastic (like most restaurant tasks), but you could probably use something reusable like beeswax cloth if you're worried about that kinda thing. With a thinner liquid it's a non-issue...any funnel will do the trick.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

You can also get wide-mouth funnels that will work for thicker poo poo, which is what I use for mayo. You still end up having to sorta stuff it in with a spoon, but it's less of a mess than trying to do it "freehand".

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

For Mayo just get kewpie and call it a day

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
New blender test

(Annoying host warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtVWtKn0_D4

Surprised and at the same time not surprised that the nutribullet came in second to the Vitamix in so many categories. The slope of the jar doesn’t let anything stick for long and the jar is small so there’s nowhere to run from the blades

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I’ve been eyeing Costco Vitamixes forever. Maybe I’ll bite the Nutribullet instead, but the replacement parts/run forever quality of the Vitamix is so attractive. I’m currently running a Ninja blender/food processor and it sucks at both. Especially compared to the 70s Cuisinart DLC-8 I grew up with on the food processing side (still going strong). I know I’d make my own peanut butter, oat milk, and whatever the hell else.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

One of the best 'splurge' purchases I made was buying a vitamix tbh. I never have to worry about a recipe not working because of my blender, it churns through exactly what I need it to. I don't do smoothies, so if you want something more personal portions, maybe its not as good? But after more than a few lovely blenders, it's great.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Carillon posted:

One of the best 'splurge' purchases I made was buying a vitamix tbh. I never have to worry about a recipe not working because of my blender, it churns through exactly what I need it to. I don't do smoothies, so if you want something more personal portions, maybe its not as good? But after more than a few lovely blenders, it's great.

Likewise, I had put it off for years wondering how it could possibly be worth it and I wish I had gotten it years earlier. The thing lives on my counter and get's used multiple times a week.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’ve been eyeing Costco Vitamixes forever. Maybe I’ll bite the Nutribullet instead, but the replacement parts/run forever quality of the Vitamix is so attractive. I’m currently running a Ninja blender/food processor and it sucks at both. Especially compared to the 70s Cuisinart DLC-8 I grew up with on the food processing side (still going strong). I know I’d make my own peanut butter, oat milk, and whatever the hell else.

I got a Nutribullet that had the blend cap break after like a year of use. They replaced the whole thing for free with a phone call and then emailing them my original receipt (from Amazon). I know its not a life long thing, but their warranty was easy to use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We got the Ninja that is currently on sale at Costco and we're in love. First blender we've ever had that (A) doesn't get food stuck under the blade at the bottom (yay multiple blades!) and (B) blends the entire contents equally. This is the blender-only Ninja, not the combo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good suggestions for a mandolin?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hmmm much to ponder. Looks like Paypal can get a refurb Vitamix down to $275 ($100 off $375), but I can’t figure out how that deal works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

obi_ant posted:

Any good suggestions for a mandolin?

I have been happy with this Mueller for a few years now.