Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Look at how Annie is drawn in panel 1. Look at her CTRL-ALT-DEL faces in 2 and 3.

I've said it before, I'm glad the author has decided to throw in the towel and end this like a prematurely-canceled TV series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Wow it really is turning into DBZ

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That last panel is sending me, man. The grinning 2d Coyote just dropped over ware-Jerrek is really something else.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1722

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1740

How has the art regressed this badly that a super power chase scene / god fight interrupt goes from looking like ^ years ago… to this dbz furry trace.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
The pathos of the moment is lost on me because I could not really be made to care about Jerrick or his GooseWife, but this page is fine, honestly. Absolutely rabid Loup and Coyote laughing at everything was the kinda stuff I would be expecting out of Gunnerkrigg? Not like, not at the quality of some of the previous pages but I can forgive lapses in quality.

It's still, you know, Loup, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m so happy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FlocksOfMice posted:

The pathos of the moment is lost on me because I could not really be made to care about Jerrick or his GooseWife, but this page is fine, honestly. Absolutely rabid Loup and Coyote laughing at everything was the kinda stuff I would be expecting out of Gunnerkrigg? Not like, not at the quality of some of the previous pages but I can forgive lapses in quality.

It's still, you know, Loup, though.
I'm completely serious I starter reading this and thought "Pathos? What ate you oh wait yeah Lana"

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dammerung posted:

I'm predicting a Dragonball Z fight between Loup and Coyote, with every other character in the comic going :o in the background. Annie will make at least one comment on Loup's skyrocketing power level.

For the record, I didn't think this was actually going to happen. My expectations were subverted.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Coyote is going to reveal that Lana was alive the whole time until Loup attacked Coyote, and she died from Loup's attack, Loup will become suicidally angsty and Annie will mercy-kill him with Coyote's tooth.

Next time, on Gunnerkrigg Z!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Skippy McPants posted:

That last panel is sending me, man. The grinning 2d Coyote just dropped over ware-Jerrek is really something else.

Same. Gotta appreciate the little things. :unsmith:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So Coyote's strength seems to be physically represented by the red stripe on his back. In e.g. this page after he gives it to Ysengrin, it is absent from his body. In this chapter, it's back, and doesn't appear to be on Loup's body as it used to in e.g. this page. Is this an art error, is this some kind of illusory projection of Coyote, is the red stripe just a metaphor and I'm reading too much into it, or did Coyote in fact take his strength back when he burst out of Loup?

Also while I was browsing for those pages I stumbled across this one which I had forgotten, where Loup greets Annie for the first time by calling her "my love". Which was bizarre and creepy at the time but excusable by Loup being an insane confused weirdo. Now that Loup is no longer being portrayed as insane, and in light of Coyote's statements this chapter, it is so much skeevier. What the gently caress, Mr. Siddell.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Looking back on "Neither," the chapter that introduced Loup, it's really striking how much effort went into establishing a visual/stylistic "tone" for Loup that was reminiscent of Coyote but also very different: Loup is an unsettlingly maniacal character, aping Coyote's sense of whimsy only ineffectively. I remember this being a consistent thing about Loup's design, but it all apparently had to die so Jerrick could live.

Edit: "So Coyote often chose to remain unknowing" 🤔

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 28, 2023

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

In what meaningful sense is Coyote even still "dead?" He's right there, he still has his godlike powers, he can seemingly kill people. The characters have his own word that he's going to die (again?) and so will Loup, but he has limitless power. He can and did exist before he was created, he still exists after having been killed, so what are the stakes here?

Is Coyote still actually a part of Loup? Is Ysengrin? Or is Loup just a part of Jerrek now? What does any of this mean and why should it matter to us as readers?

Is the Court still in danger? Is Zimmy still in danger? Do we even care anymore since everyone is no longer part of the story and is leaving anyway? What are the stakes here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://youtu.be/I0H-rjz4xSA

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Randalor posted:

Coyote is going to reveal that Lana was alive the whole time until Loup attacked Coyote, and she died from Loup's attack, Loup will become suicidally angsty and Annie will mercy-kill him with Coyote's tooth.

it seems, in your anger, you killed her

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Oh no Coyote is going to get eaten again

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Randalor posted:

Violen posted:

it seems, in your anger, you killed her

Lmao god damnit this better not happen.

I do enjoy that last panel with Coyote lol.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

feetnotes posted:

In what meaningful sense is Coyote even still "dead?" He's right there, he still has his godlike powers, he can seemingly kill people. The characters have his own word that he's going to die (again?) and so will Loup, but he has limitless power. He can and did exist before he was created, he still exists after having been killed, so what are the stakes here?

Right, been wondering that myself, the "Coyote's Secret" chapter even explicitly says he's not "alive" in the sense that humans usually understand it, and that he is a creature of the Aether, which is also, in that very chapter, identified as the place where human souls are subsumed after death. He even explicitly repeats what the psychopomps had said about death resulting in "the world continues to turn" and implies he has a part in that. I think, at least at some point, Coyote's talk about "killing" was supposed to be another trick, but we're so thoroughly off-page at this point that who knows.

quote:

Is Coyote still actually a part of Loup? Is Ysengrin? Or is Loup just a part of Jerrek now? What does any of this mean and why should it matter to us as readers?

Is the Court still in danger? Is Zimmy still in danger? Do we even care anymore since everyone is no longer part of the story and is leaving anyway? What are the stakes here

As always, dear fellow, the answer is

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 28, 2023

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've thought about it for a bit, and the problem I have with this scene is that it totally undercuts how big of a deal it was when Coyote "died". The comic really emphasized how he's totally gone and not coming back, especially when that "recording" of Coyote came back to taunt Loup.

But now he's back and he could just have come back at any time, I guess. None of the destruction Loup wrought meant anything. If he's "alive" again, then he never died and it was all pointless. If he's not (which I don't think is the case), then what does that even mean if he can have this much effect on the world as some kind of memory ghost?

The worst part is realizing that Loup was always a lie. Coyote was actually just the rear end in a top hat inside him the whole time and we were wrong to like him. Yay?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Coyote was actually just the rear end in a top hat inside him the whole time and we were wrong to like him. Yay?

i mean... in fairness, if you actually like coyote and not just as a character, there's already a problem.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, yeah, I guess more what I mean is that it might as well have just been Coyote doing this all along. It turns out Loup isn't some crazed unstable perversion of Coyote, he was always just... Coyote.

Well, until becomes a nice, normal boy.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, yeah, I guess more what I mean is that it might as well have just been Coyote doing this all along. It turns out Loup isn't some crazed unstable perversion of Coyote, he was always just... Coyote.

Well, until becomes a nice, normal boy.

lmao if Loup is just Coyote being another dead goose

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Loup looks to be down an ear there. My money is that when Coyote saw his old plan went pear shaped he decided this was always just a big prank on Ysengrin and is goading him back out of Loup.

Which will leave us with a Jerrick that is depowered just enough to be the new main character.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao if Loup is just Coyote being another dead goose

It'd be very much within Coyote's wheelhouse, I guess. But it'd also be very boring, story-wise. Hooray, it's just been Coyote loving with everyone this whole time, and it turns out he could have done this all along but just didn't until now because [reason]. That's just so much more exciting than Coyote actually dying for real and producing an unpredictable newborn god.

Not that that newborn god is even a factor now that he's a nice, normal boy.

Maldraedior posted:

Loup looks to be down an ear there. My money is that when Coyote saw his old plan went pear shaped he decided this was always just a big prank on Ysengrin and is goading him back out of Loup.

Which will leave us with a Jerrick that is depowered just enough to be the new main character.

It really does feel like one be extended prank on Ysengrin. Which, again, seems very Coyote, but is also really, really tired. It's the least interesting part of Coyote to me. Why spend so much of his godly powers on loving with this one underling? Because he's cRaZy AnD rAnDoM I guess!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 28, 2023

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
God I love those beefy Trogdor arms, I am cracking up

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

GunnerJ posted:

Same. Gotta appreciate the little things. :unsmith:

Honestly, I really enjoyed Coyote's expression paired with the "Oh boy! Oh no!" caption.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

God I love those beefy Trogdor arms, I am cracking up

Tfw Loup did not watch the episodes where Trunks discovers that max power SSJ is useless

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Randalor posted:

Loup is going to eat Coyote which means he eats Lana by extension and merges with her, becoming a being made of love. Then he does a Steven Universe musical number and beats the poo poo out of the nearest antagonist

Less joking answer: he's going to cut open Coyote and Lana will be there but horrified at the violence and Jerrek's monstrous appearance even though it directly contradicts what she said before and Loup will be so heartbroken he begs to die by the tooth. This is the stupidest thing I can imagine so I'm laying my chips there

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what's killing me here is that werejerrek design from when he tried to punk robot was actually a little cool and that's what this should be

though the trogdor arms are VERY funny

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiny Myers posted:

beats the poo poo out of the nearest antagonist

what antagonist

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's just shocking to me that a comic poised (through so many carefully-laid clues) to say profound things about death, identity, and the pieces of ourselves that we can put together from loss, is effectively being 'resolved' by smashing two action figures together, whether it's the two Annies or Coyote/Ysengrin. "pew pew actually Coyote remained separate all along!" Just tragic.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

saddest webcomic development since Paranatural excised 95% of all the visual humor, which it was best-in-class for. webcomics are not in a good place I don't think

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ramie posted:

saddest webcomic development since Paranatural excised 95% of all the visual humor, which it was best-in-class for. webcomics are not in a good place I don't think

Counterpoint: Kill Six Billion Demons

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

TBH I think the latest Book is the least-good that comic has ever been

The protagonist finally had a long-awaited meeting with a fan-favorite character, and they spent most of their time together talking about said character's backstory, which was itself a retread of previously examined themes and narrative arcs. Their training arc together was what, 3 pages? and the expositing was 20. and hell, maybe there's an argument to be made that having all your mega-powerful goddesses have sexual assault as backstory is boring, if not outright Bad

just not really an example of the author firing on all cylinders imo, which is not a good sign for a comic on its final arc.

vv having a coolness competition where you are supposed to root for the Cool King to lose the crown in favor of the much less cool protags, maybe not the best idea. and then the winning protag gets a personality downgrade afterwards (???)

Ramie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 29, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

K6BD has never lapsed in style but the substance has been on a downswing ever since Solomon ironically stole the show and in so doing completely undermined the point of the character.

^Yeah lmao at the end of the day the comic kind of vindicates that Solomon is indeed every bit the Great Man of History that was absolutely pivotal that he thought he was, just not in the way that he imagined.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 29, 2023

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't agree with any of that, but even if it were correct, it still rules and is one of the best still-running webcomics

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

K6BD is slipping a bit but I give it a pass because ending poo poo is hard. Paying off themes and setup in a satisfying manner is the final boss of storytelling and as GK ably demonstrates, it is exceptionally difficult to avoid a face-plant at the finish line.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 29, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I agree K6BD hasn't been hitting *as* hard as it can, and I agree I was disappointed by the sexual assault in the backstory. I also agree a lot of Maya's backstory didn't really feel like it was necessary to be told at this point, especially when we'd already spent time on pivotal moments of her backstory in the past. The amount of time spent telling her story, which places narrative emphasis on how important she's supposed to be to the reader, felt a little weird compared to the relatively brief training segment where Allison pretty much immediately (maybe) grasps the Maybe Sword.

Also, just feels a little late in the comic for a training sequence especially after so much time spent on Allison overcoming her depression which is sort of similar in that it's her getting her strength back.

That said, the comic loving owns, Abaddon is a way better artist and writer than I could ever hope to be, and generally is amazing. So maybe there's some reason all of these were necessary and I'm stupid. The comic is amazing, and the low points of an amazing webcomic are still way better than average, so like, whatever. :v:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Skippy McPants posted:

K6BD Is slipping a bit but I give it a pass because ending poo poo is hard. Paying off themes and setup in a satisfying manner is the final boss of storytelling and as GK ably demonstrates, it is exceptionally difficult to avoid a face-plant at the finish line.

Yeah, I feel like the main problem with KSBD is it has set up a lot of dramatic and thematic lines that are at risk of having a weak payoff, especially since the Jadis and Maya arcs felt a bit underwhelming already and Jagganoth's is starting to look similar IMHO. It's possible these last three are setting up something more interesting (especially since there's still a lot we don't know about crucial elements of the story) but one should remain cautious at this point.

The direction the comic has been going makes me think the remaining part of the story will deal more with what all of this means for Allison existentially, and that the rest will be more or less shrugged off. It's a fine way of ending things but people should keep their expectations in check.

Anyway, there's still no comparison quality-wise with present day Gunnerkrigg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Gunnerkrigg Court:

YaketySass posted:

it has set up a lot of dramatic and thematic lines that are at risk of having a weak payoff