Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Time_pants posted:

I think part of the problem is that the pace of invention used to be slower, so when a technology happened, it would be improved and iterated upon several times before the next big game-changing technology came along. Now, it seems like an endless parade of stopgap or nonstarter tech that comes along in the lulls between actual seismic shifts in technology. Nothing is around long enough to grow and mature, so it's just one lovely new-and-different-enough half-measure that sort of addresses a problem while introducing two new ones.

Large companies buying up smaller ones on the rise and then moving on shortly thereafter resulting in half-baked/broken software is pretty common or at least I encounter it often when working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I clicked a youtube short not logged in and started autoscrolling and Charlie Kirk was the 5th video that came up

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Think I'll just start paying for a non Gmail client, try to spin down my Google service usage more. I've basically stopped using search from them now. Just email and YouTube to go.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Further Reading posted:

I'm kinda confused. You say you're deleting your history every month along with taking other steps to make it as hard as possible to remember anything about you but you're unhappy because this results in it not remembering anything about you?

I don't get any fash or Mr Beast content because years ago I hit "not interested" and "don't reccomend channel" on a bunch of thumbnails. Then I opted not to go out of my way to erase all that info because it obviously only works if it can remember I did that.

Yeah, the tools they give you do seem to work

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
Late last year Kraft just decided to completely remove the bags from Shake n' Bake. They didn't even tell anybody or make any changes to the packaging, which is now like 60 percent air with the bags removed and still has the original text that still instructs you to use the shaker bag to coat whatever meat you're working with. It's my turn to cook tonight and I was caught off guard and thought there was a fuckup at the factory until a quick search confirmed this change was real and permanent. Maybe I'm just being a whiny baby but it's just not the same doing it with tupperware instead.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
My laptop came installed with Windows 11

I opened the File Manager to find some files and holy fuckin' poo poo

OH DO U WANT TO SEE ALL THE FILES SORTED BY DATE THAT THEY WERE USED

OR THE DATE ATTACHED TO THEM

and I went through every little effort to get it to show me just the regular file list, alphabetical order, and it's incredibly hosed up. OH DID U WANT TO VIEW THEM AS SORTED BY THEIR ASTROLOGICAL SIGN

and also, I plugged in my phone to move some photos and that's when I found out about how much of a colossal bitch OneDrive, a service I did not ask for, is. In the ancient past of a few years ago, I plugged in the phone, instructed it to treat it like a drive, and then moved files over. I did that, but then when I went to access them from the local folder, windows said they weren't ACTUALLY there. You see, because they needed to be uploaded to OneDrive first. I made a desktop dir for the images (I'm trying to sell my car and I just want to move the photos over) and even after I disabled onedrive it wouldn't just let me drag and drop the images. It's unbelievable and loving awful and I still don't understand it.

How do I make the file explorer display files in the normal Old Ways

help

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Floodixor posted:

My laptop came installed with Windows 11

I opened the File Manager to find some files and holy fuckin' poo poo

OH DO U WANT TO SEE ALL THE FILES SORTED BY DATE THAT THEY WERE USED

OR THE DATE ATTACHED TO THEM

and I went through every little effort to get it to show me just the regular file list, alphabetical order, and it's incredibly hosed up. OH DID U WANT TO VIEW THEM AS SORTED BY THEIR ASTROLOGICAL SIGN

and also, I plugged in my phone to move some photos and that's when I found out about how much of a colossal bitch OneDrive, a service I did not ask for, is. In the ancient past of a few years ago, I plugged in the phone, instructed it to treat it like a drive, and then moved files over. I did that, but then when I went to access them from the local folder, windows said they weren't ACTUALLY there. You see, because they needed to be uploaded to OneDrive first. I made a desktop dir for the images (I'm trying to sell my car and I just want to move the photos over) and even after I disabled onedrive it wouldn't just let me drag and drop the images. It's unbelievable and loving awful and I still don't understand it.

How do I make the file explorer display files in the normal Old Ways

help

Agreed w/ all this. poo poo a year ago my win10 keeps reverting to this loving setting. You have to r.c. and select Group/Group By and choose (none).

OneDrive, no loving clue. I don't understand it to this day and I once had a job that paid me to support Ms apps. People called in all the time absolutely confused and I never met anybody that had answers. MS documentation doesnt have answers. Internal MS docs don't have answers. I avoid it and it disable it on every device. I just use click and drag with Google drive for one simple reason: it loving works.

The more a piece of software claims to enhance your life and keep things simple and easy, the bigger the colossal piece of poo poo it is.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does Google Maps give good directions to anywhere anymore? I keep getting diverted onto side roads. I'm trying to plan a road trip and half the campgrounds say "don't use Google maps" on their websites.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Google mail is a gigantic piece of poo poo and I can't find anything on it. Like, I know this person sent me an email, show me the emails they sent me in date order, motherfuckers you are a trillion dollar corporation this should not be hard

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Google Maps works either decently or utterly shits the bed in certain parts of Sweden, and boy it is not great to figure out this en route!! Like even within the same drat city.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

sebmojo posted:

Google mail is a gigantic piece of poo poo and I can't find anything on it. Like, I know this person sent me an email, show me the emails they sent me in date order, motherfuckers you are a trillion dollar corporation this should not be hard

Also if I change which folder it needs to be in don't close the email I wasn't done with it yet and now I can't find it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

sebmojo posted:

The worst thing is I know for a fact that people who work a google do use gmail for their work email. The people who screwed up gmail are somehow living with the terrible decisions that were made to lead gmail to doing that crap, and they're still not fixing it. WHY!!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I use outlook for work and it's really good, I can find any email I want in moments. Why is it better to apply bullshit machine learning nonsense to show me an email from 2016 that I didn't ask for, Google? Why is that better

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The X-man cometh posted:

Does Google Maps give good directions to anywhere anymore? I keep getting diverted onto side roads. I'm trying to plan a road trip and half the campgrounds say "don't use Google maps" on their websites.

In my experience this is due to the campgrounds/parks themselves not having good data.
If they actually updated the data to set locations correctly, and whether "roads" are actually roads or just fire trails or even private, there wouldn't be an issue.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

White LED Headlights have been getting brighter and brighter as well as being placed higher on cars while also having their distance alignment further out. The combination of those things makes it impossible to see while driving at night if vehicles with these lights are behind you are or are in oncoming traffic

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tythas posted:

White LED Headlights have been getting brighter and brighter as well as being placed higher on cars while also having their distance alignment further out. The combination of those things makes it impossible to see while driving at night if vehicles with these lights are behind you are or are in oncoming traffic

Holy poo poo I despise new headlights. I feel like blinding other motorists is not conductive to driving safety??? And yet???

Maybe if you can’t see with regular loving brights on you shouldn’t be driving

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

teen witch posted:

Holy poo poo I despise new headlights. I feel like blinding other motorists is not conductive to driving safety??? And yet???

it's not even that they have their brights on, every year they get brighter because there isn't a law against headlight brightness jut headlight alignment height, which was made for old yellow bulb lights that were bright at the center and dim at the edges , which hasn't been updated for these new bright headlights

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
So I was in here last night bitching about youtube not recommending similar content to what I watch. Tried troubleshooting it when I sobered up to no avail.

Thank god for fellow goons. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037977

Just a heads up in case anyone runs in to similar problems.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
People actually think outlook is better than Gmail? drat

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I swear, like a lot of google stuff, gmails been getting worse.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm terrified to try other email services because I can see the massive wave gmail's spam filter is holding back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve had good luck with one drive. I fully committed to it when covid hit

That’s just for work only tho.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Because it's now standard practice to delay flights 3-4 hours at the last minute, everyone shows up for their original departure time. The automatic bag drop machines are all time locked so even though you're there on time, it tells you you're too early to drop your bag and have to use the service counter. So you're forced to join a thousand person line all waiting to speak to the two check in staff just to drop bags while the automatic bag drop remains totally deserted. Cool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

if you want to find an email then having a bunch of columns you can sort by is infinitely superior to whatever the gently caress gmail does.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Skype doesn’t let you post gifs. My friends still use Skype because one of them is an anti discord contrarian. They have a gif library but it’s lacking in substance.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Skype still exists?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

~Coxy posted:

In my experience this is due to the campgrounds/parks themselves not having good data.
If they actually updated the data to set locations correctly, and whether "roads" are actually roads or just fire trails or even private, there wouldn't be an issue.

Why are campgrounds supposed to do Google's work for them?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I had to do some work stuff around times square at nighttime a couple months ago and Google maps kept failing in the entire area. Simple addresses and subway stops and the app would only spiral and never returned data.

Could've been too crowded of an area*, but I was criss crossing blocks.

*like how bluetooth headphones don't work in the nyc marathon, too many devices in close proximity. Owned. Wired 4 life

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Waze still works for state trooper alerts but I would not trust the path finding on any map app. At some point they will be sponsored to drive you past advertisers if they are not already

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

teen witch posted:

I killed a grizzly cub a year ago because the upcoming dickhead put up their brights and I didn't see it until it was going under.

I get high beamed so often it's just something that happens and I didn't think much of it. If they'd flicked the lights a few times or put on hazards or even just done nothing at all it'd probably have been fine. Instead I killed a giant teddy bear in front of its mom and sibling. Awesome.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

sebmojo posted:

if you want to find an email then having a bunch of columns you can sort by is infinitely superior to whatever the gently caress gmail does.

Use a real email client and set up IMAP with your account. :smug:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Outrail posted:

I get high beamed so often it's just something that happens and I didn't think much of it. If they'd flicked the lights a few times or put on hazards or even just done nothing at all it'd probably have been fine. Instead I killed a giant teddy bear in front of its mom and sibling. Awesome.

A lot of newer cars have automatic highbeams and I don't like them, and I bet most people are hardly even aware of them and that you can turn that off. I always turn them off on our Mazda 3, otherwise it flicks them on right after pulling out of the driveway at night, and I don't need to be blasting my neighbors' houses with a billion lumens or whatever.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The worst offenders are people that install LEDs in their pickup or other tall vehicle and don't bother changing the reflector housing or adjusting the aim at all. If you're in a regular car not only are you looking into the brightness of three suns, it's coming straight at you at directly eye level too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t believe lifted f350 owners would be so inconsiderate

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Proposal
- Blinding LED headlights are illegal
- fine is $1,000
- Can avoid fine by paying for $2,000 test (refundable if a pass result, vehicle not released until lights are changed)
- Cops go nuts raising funds by doing something useful
- shitheads with dangerous headlights are punished and hopefully fix their stupid lights
-accidents avoided

Reality
-testing system is deliberately broken to always fail tests
-cops go nuts stealing money from minorities while shitheads with dangerous headlights continue to cause accidents

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Elder Postsman posted:

A lot of newer cars have automatic highbeams

Worst modern car feature. Worse than touchscreen radio controls.

naem
May 29, 2011

years ago at my first type-numbers-into-a-spreadsheet job, we used a piece of software that takes numbers and turns them into useful things like making payments etc.

most similar software subscriptions focus on the people that use them (the people entering the beans) and have a simple user portal that is somewhat automated, including this one

they changed, and decided to focus on the backend (the people counting the beans afterward).

it went from what looked like an excel spreadsheet that populated with data and you selected one or two things and were done, to, a nightmare of brightly colored squares and rectangles that would change size and float around when you mouse past them:

for reference, only much worse looking. Each little box would have buttons you could press, and also words might or might not be links when you clicked. It looked like a bad html website.

ALSO there was the word “edit” where you could customize each box, and sometimes clicking “edit” did something, sometimes not. Sometimes “edit” became a pencil you clicked on when you hover over it, and sometimes you hover over the pencil and the word “edit” would pop into existence in another corner of the box only to vanish when you move your cursor off the pencil. So you had to remember to go click the invisible “edit” pencil.

It was a master class in bad user interface design. And it wasn’t consistent, it would change regularly so don’t bother remembering what worked last time. As a failed artist and over educated graphic design major it particularly bothered me.

they also DELIBERATELY made it really easy to make a particular mistake, and charged money for an online class to figure out how to fix it, and the class was a 5 minute video where the voice guy couldn’t help but laugh as he described “select this hidden button over here you could never find without paying for this video”

that company then started offering a paid service to replace in house Bean Enter-ers, knowing that a lot of their users had made mistakes with the changes they made.

we started getting a lot of ads like “Hey bean counters! Are you noticing that your bean enter-ers are messing up a lot? Look at our automated service that blah blah money something.”

They even sent some sales people to stop by unprompted at the tiny nonprofit to offer to replace what would have been several people including my then boss (who’d hired me to be the fall guy in their place if needed) and gave the sales pitch TO the person they’d be replacing

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Extra row of tits posted:

Console gaming.

I just want to shoot some fucker, not update something every time I turn it on or go looking for some dumbass button that keeps teleporting around every time you update some app I never use.

Another one:

Hints given in puzzle games.. I never use hints and love puzzling out the answer in my head, sometimes for days, and greatly enjoying when I finally get it right,

At least I used too, now I log back in to stare at the clues again to find a “hint” with can’t be prevented and is so large it’s basically a spoiler.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In the recent Tomb Raider trilogy, I hate how using her Spider Senses or whatever, Lara will also reveal a clue to solving the puzzle. "I've got to turn that mast somehow..." I'm not looking for a hint, I'm just trying to see which parts are glowing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
all american passenger vehicles are fat and huge now like the fat ferrari

http://images.buyyourcar.co.uk/photos/caaa3b15-7c60-4997-8baf-2c1b5935b1a0/2546/2546_1_m.jpg

and they're all in an arms race to be as huge as possible, thus negating the safety advantage of being huge in a collision and making them all into pedestrian terminators