Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God Vampire by Olivia Rodrigo is a freaking bop. Currently my and my 8 year olds fave song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/laurenevemay/status/1682064342236434432?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Chvrches rules Lauren rules but most importantly two shows in Illinois rules

Normalize more shows within driving distance of my house

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
poo poo Urbana is close. That'd be a fun as hell show.

Edit: Oh, it's a music festival. That's less exciting.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Y’all …. This new Britney track. I ……have no words.

What the gently caress is this poo poo? ☠️☠️

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Will.I.Am must answer for his years of war crimes against the music industry

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/laurenevemay/status/1682064342236434432?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Chvrches rules Lauren rules but most importantly two shows in Illinois rules

Normalize more shows within driving distance of my house

I grabbed a ticket to the Lincoln Hall show! No idea what to expect, probably going to be pretty emo if I had to guess.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
As luck would have it, I'm gonna be in DC that weekend anyway to see Postal Service/Death Cab on the 5th, so that's a no-brainer. Makes me wonder if she started her tour there with a few days before the next show so she could see them too, lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Todd in the Shadows released a timely video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqE9B1_9TpQ

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Lauren sold out Chicago in like 12 hours and still hasn't released a single song. Good for her.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

I just paid way too much to see CRJ in a tiny club for a lolla aftershow but I'm loving hype

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

angrygodofjebus posted:

I just paid way too much to see CRJ in a tiny club for a lolla aftershow but I'm loving hype

I put my money down for that last week and immediately deleted all my aftermarket ticket apps because I was terrified prices were gonna drop as it got closer, glad to hear they’re still stupid

It makes sense, she sold out a much bigger venue last year

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first time I saw CRJ was in a small club in 2016 and I've just kind of resigned myself to the fact that it'll probably never happen again.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The first time I saw CRJ was in a small club in 2016 and I've just kind of resigned myself to the fact that it'll probably never happen again.

I saw her in the 800 capacity XOYO club in 2019 for just £20 and it was amazing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
gently caress. I'm too young to be crying at country songs. Why the gently caress is this "Dial Drunk" song with a Post Malone remix hitting me so loving hard.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

gently caress that, enjoy it while you can. i’m old and jaded.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Junpei posted:

gently caress. I'm too young to be crying at country songs. Why the gently caress is this "Dial Drunk" song with a Post Malone remix hitting me so loving hard.

Crying into a bottle of whiskey is where country is best.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

i didn't manage to snag uk tickets, please stop being mean to me

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1683242961038106624?s=20

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Figure I'd ask this here instead of the metal thread: What's that pop song that completely lifts the chorus to Kamelot's Lost & Damned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuYpdwhqbY

Hilarious coincidence if not intentional.

want

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Figure I'd ask this here instead of the metal thread: What's that pop song that completely lifts the chorus to Kamelot's Lost & Damned?

Hilarious coincidence if not intentional.

I'm not sure, it seems like a pretty common structure, but the first thing that comes to mind is Bon Jovi. But "You Give Love a Bad Name" appears to predate that song by quite a bit.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jH1RNk8954Q&pp=ygURa2luZ3MgYW5kIHF1ZWVucyA%3D

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

You see, I was gonna cry plagarism until

Sir Lemming posted:

You Give Love a Bad Name

lol

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YHYxw_Yc5I

Missed this new Slayyyter drop, it's cute.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm super behind on listening to music in my spotify queue and today Caroline Polachek's newest album just came up. The opening track is incredible.

The rest of the album is great too, I particularly like Sunset. But man, Welcome to My Island is perfect as an album opener and is everything I love about her music. I can't stop listening to it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've listened to that album a lot while running the past six months. Blood & Butter is my favorite thing she's ever done.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Loveliest Time is out!!!!!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
It's new Carly day!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've listened to the whole album twice, once alone and again when I went out running. I think if you like the dreampoppy soundscapes that Carly has been making since Now I Don't Hate California, Keep Away, and No Thinking Over the Weekend (I have), then you'll pick up on TLVT immediately. She's been saying it's more experimental in promo interviews, and she's not kidding. Aeroplanes sounds like it's stitched together from four different songs at once, and there's some really crunchy dissonance on Kollage. Only a few tracks have an identifiable classic CRJ song structure (Shy Boy, Stadium Love), others are recognizably Carly but weird in other ways (Psychadelic Switch), and some are just entirely out of left field (the bizarre Anything to Be With You opener). The biggest takeaway I had from my first listen was actually the lyricism pushing farther away in opposite directions of her darkness and humor. Unlike Carly's previous albums it's hard for me to pinpoint what the obvious bops are besides Shy Boy. Any track could be a hit, or none of them at all.

I thought Dedicated was kind of a transitional period for Carly's music to arrive at The Loneliest Time, but Loveliest seems almost as far apart from TLT as that did from Dedicated Side B. I can never guess how people are going to feel about music, but I think critics are going to like this. It's about as far away from CMM as pop can get.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

it's hard for me to pinpoint what the obvious bops are

I loving love Stadium Love and hope she plays it in a few days when I see her

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Psychedelic Switch fucks hard

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/carlyraewiki/status/1684886731424993281?s=20

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

this is definitely her most polarizing and experimental album imo - what I like about it I really like, but what I don't like doesn't work at all

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

this is definitely her most polarizing and experimental album imo - what I like about it I really like, but what I don't like doesn't work at all

Can't stay in the same exact lane forever. This rules. Shadow, Kamikaze, Psychedelic Switch, Stadium Love are all top tier songs. Or maybe I'm biased because of the show coming up but I totally dig it overall!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kamikaze and Psychedelic Switch are definitely my personal highlights after one listen. Quite a few where I found my attention wandering.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new Carly now and this album's pretty good, but I still prefer the other Stadium Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N4a7RX5x7E

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Seeing Taylor tonight. Can’t wait.

That was an experience. She really is the biggest star in the world. 80,000 people eating out of the palm of her hand for 3 hours. Crazy.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 30, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think where I’ve landed on Loveliest Time is that there are less songs than the average CRJ album that I absolutely love, but I appreciate the experimental spirit. Also Psychedelic Switch is a miracle Jesus Christ that song is so good. I kinda hope she plays it live when I see her

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

I think where I’ve landed on Loveliest Time is that there are less songs than the average CRJ album that I absolutely love, but I appreciate the experimental spirit. Also Psychedelic Switch is a miracle Jesus Christ that song is so good. I kinda hope she plays it live when I see her

Psychedelic Switch has been on the setlist the last two nights so fingers crossed here as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My feeling is that Carly can write bops any day of the week, that's never been in doubt. So it's nice to see her continue to branch out into more creative and dynamic song structures. Overall I think I like TLT more but Loveliest is a neat companion piece to that.