Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kchama posted:

Statholme is my favorite Classic dungeon.

Wait, what forum am I in again?

Deadmines baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Awkward Davies posted:

Deadmines baby

Scarlet Monastery. I'm just hear because you guys have a style. And because it's a great place to power level since it's really easy to amass an entire wing and burn it down quickly.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I unironically liked wailing caverns

WC will always have a special place in my heart because it was my first ever MMO instance and just absolutely rocked my world in terms of what multiplayer gaming could be.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

WC will always have a special place in my heart because it was my first ever MMO instance and just absolutely rocked my world in terms of what multiplayer gaming could be.

I think the first dungeons on both sides were like that.

Especially if you were reading the quest lines that led there. Deadmines had a build up and I remember having to get friends together and spending a day in it because we didn't know a damned thing about party comp and agrro management.

Coming back on an alt even a year later was just pulling massive hordes and burnjng them down, which was a different kind of fun. But there's no recapturing that first time and being blasted by a cannon or having a murloc chef just gently caress your day up.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is Ministry of the Future good? I love KSR and have read a good portion of his books. Something about the cover saying it was a favorite of Obama’s is turning me off. Also climate fiction may hit too close to home at the moment.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

Is Ministry of the Future good? I love KSR and have read a good portion of his books. Something about the cover saying it was a favorite of Obama’s is turning me off. Also climate fiction may hit too close to home at the moment.

It's a decent idiot liberal "fixing global warming" wish fulfillment fantasy that glosses over the fact that the same characters run the Ministry of the Future for like 30 years straight.

The description of the 35°C wet bulb heat wave at the beginning is harrowing, and there's a scene at the end when the leader of the Ministry of the Future and her chief of security are chatting while feeding ducks in the park that cracked me up.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It's a extremely optimistic book that ends up being depressing because we're in the real world and people don't agree to "just fix everything" and there are no UN black ops death commandos.

Also some silly stuff about the blockchain actually being useful.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I may have an antidote. It's not fantasy or sci-fi, but if you want some pure existential climate change dread mainlined into your bloodstream, I recommend The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen. Not saying that you necessarily need more of that dread in your life right now as we're currently in the hottest month ever recorded in human history, but still :tipshat:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

It's a decent idiot liberal "fixing global warming" wish fulfillment fantasy that glosses over the fact that the same characters run the Ministry of the Future for like 30 years straight.

The description of the 35°C wet bulb heat wave at the beginning is harrowing, and there's a scene at the end when the leader of the Ministry of the Future and her chief of security are chatting while feeding ducks in the park that cracked me up.

I read the first chapter with the heatwave right before bed last night. Pretty horrifying.

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's a extremely optimistic book that ends up being depressing because we're in the real world and people don't agree to "just fix everything" and there are no UN black ops death commandos.

Also some silly stuff about the blockchain actually being useful.

An issue I have with his books is that he overestimates people’s ability to all band together to do huge things. Maybe I’m too cynical but I don’t think things work that way.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A climate change book may hit too close to home at the moment, but it is likely to hit even closer to home in any future moments so now is the best time to read it

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Ministry for the Future is probably overly optimistic, but I don't think it comes from a liberal faith in our governing institutions. Instead it always feels like it comes from a humanistic sense that we can do better than this, we can make a better world, even if our governing institutions stand in the way of that right now.

There's some interview KSR did where he pitches his work as the inverse of dystopian SF: what can the world look like if we actually tackled the malaise that feels like it's choking us? For me, that's a major selling point, even if he has to cut some implausible corners to get there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I’m extremely okay with authors writing wish-fulfillment, especially outside of the genre I usually find it in (romance). Just makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see people imagining better things and then sharing the dream. :shobon:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HaitianDivorce posted:

Ministry for the Future is probably overly optimistic, but I don't think it comes from a liberal faith in our governing institutions. Instead it always feels like it comes from a humanistic sense that we can do better than this, we can make a better world, even if our governing institutions stand in the way of that right now.

There's some interview KSR did where he pitches his work as the inverse of dystopian SF: what can the world look like if we actually tackled the malaise that feels like it's choking us? For me, that's a major selling point, even if he has to cut some implausible corners to get there.

Ministry for the Future might be this, and the Mars Trilogy eventually gets this way after Red and most of Green Mars being dystopian as gently caress, but I'm pretty sure Aurora is just quietly horror.

E: NY2142 is definitely hilariously optimistic, as is 40/50/60. I haven't read Red Moon though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 28, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Ministry for the Future might be this, and the Mars Trilogy eventually gets this way after Red and most of Green Mars being dystopian as gently caress, but I'm pretty sure Aurora is just quietly horror.

The prion part, yeah.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Aurora is hopelessly optimistic because about half of the colonists survived to return to Earth.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aurora is hopelessly optimistic because about half of the colonists survived to return to Earth.
How?

Two ships were launched. One makes it to Tau Ceti, ~2000 people. Almost half stay behind and are ??? (probably dead). Of the people who head back, it seemed like 20 or 30 people at most make it back alive.
I don't have my book with me but even on that return journey they are dying fast.

E: I'm positive they get down to living in 1biome, of 24 original, and even then are sparse. I could be wrong, but I don't see how you get to half at all.

E2: comedy option they all die and Ship barrels into Earth at 0.1c for vengeance for some reason.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 28, 2023

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Aurora is hopelessly optimistic because about half of the colonists survived to return to Earth. the returning colonists realize that life is still worth living even after everything they've been through and lost.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

HaitianDivorce posted:

I've not read it but this sounds in line with some of his other work. I recall some centrist/liberal pearl clutching around the time of Ministry for the Future's release because the good guys are doing eco-terrorism!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Given that the author gave me a copy for free and it's really cool, I must share!!!

https://www.abramsbooks.com/product/worlds-beyond-time_9781419748691

quote:

Worlds Beyond Time is the definitive visual history of the spaceships, alien landscapes, cryptozoology, and imagined industrial machinery of 1970s paperback sci-fi art and the artists who created these extraordinary images.

In the 1970s, mass-produced, cheaply printed science-fiction novels were thriving. The paper was rough, the titles outrageous, and the cover art astounding. Over the course of the decade, a stable of talented painters, comic-book artists, and designers produced thousands of the most eye-catching book covers to ever grace bookstore shelves (or spinner racks). Curiously, the pieces commissioned for these covers often had very little to do with the contents of the books they were selling, but by leaning heavily on psychedelic imagery, far-out landscapes, and trippy surrealism, the art was able to satisfy the same space race–fueled appetite for the big ideas and brave new worlds that sci-fi writers were boldly pushing forward.

In Worlds Beyond Time: Sci-Fi Art of the 1970s, Adam Rowe—who has been curating, championing, and resurrecting the best and most obscure art that 1970s sci-fi has to offer on his blog 70s Sci-Fi Art—introduces readers to the biggest names in the genre, including Chris Foss, Peter Elson, Tim White, Jack Gaughan, and Virgil Finlay, as well as their influences. With deep dives into the subject matter that commonly appeared on these covers—spaceships, alien landscapes, fantasy realms, cryptozoology, and heavy machinery—this book is a loving tribute to a unique and robust art form whose legacy lives on both in nostalgic appreciation as well as the retro-chic design of mainstream sci-fi films such as Guardians of the Galaxy, Alien: Covenant, and Thor: Ragnarok.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StrixNebulosa posted:

Given that the author gave me a copy for free and it's really cool, I must share!!!

Ooooh. Want!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Relevant to the topic

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NERQRPI/

The Bull from the Sea (Theseus #2) by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6WC/

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is rad!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Abigail Nussbaum has an interesting review of the book that dissects the excessive optimism: http://wrongquestions.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-ministry-for-future-by-kim-stanley.html

Abigail Nussbaum posted:

In the cosmology of The Ministry for the Future, there are the elites, and there are the people. In between there are governments—weak, biddable bodies constantly being tugged between the demands of these two groups; scientists and engineers, ready to solve our problems if we just give them the funding; and institutions—sclerotic, slow-moving things that have to be pushed towards their own survival. But the assumption that the book never examines is that "the people" are an undifferentiated lump who all want the same things. It's an easy assumption to make, since those things are so obviously good—clean air and water, freedom from fear and want, a better life for your children. And yet, it only takes one look at the world around us to know better. If you brought "the people" together to demand something of their leaders, the odds that they would all demand the same thing—and that it would be the right thing, as opposed to more refugee internment camps or the overturning of a legal election—seem pretty slim.

What's more, Robinson refuses to consider that structures of feeling can be engineered. He has a lot to say about the elites' ability to influence banks and governments (unsurprisingly, neoliberalism is a constant bugbear in this book). But the idea that the elites might seek to influence the masses into acting against their own interest is given no space.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

GhastlyBizness posted:

I've not read it but this sounds in line with some of his other work. I recall some centrist/liberal pearl clutching around the time of Ministry for the Future's release because the good guys are doing eco-terrorism!
I find pretty much every work of fiction where ecoterrorism is a thing to be unrealistic to the point of unreadable. Nobody does ecoterrorism. Nobody is ever gonna do ecoterrorism.

I only made it like 20% of the way into ministry for the future and was like ok that's enough now.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RDM posted:

I find pretty much every work of fiction where ecoterrorism is a thing to be unrealistic to the point of unreadable. Nobody does ecoterrorism. Nobody is ever gonna do ecoterrorism.

I only made it like 20% of the way into ministry for the future and was like ok that's enough now.

Theodore Kaczynski might beg to differ.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Theodore Kaczynski might beg to differ.
His entire manifesto was how much he hated technology because what it did to people. It's like calling luddites ecoterrorists cause they were smashing up factories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Windmill slammed that. I expect it will go out of print quite quickly.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

RDM posted:

I'd agree with this. In our real world we don't really have ecoterrorism so much as ecovandalism. Actual terrorism tends to result in the thing you're doing terrorism for getting blown to hell. Ecoterrorism means that whales start getting assassinated by Seal Team 6.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RDM posted:

His entire manifesto was how much he hated feminism because what it did to people

fixed

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

GhastlyBizness posted:

I recall some centrist/liberal pearl clutching around the time of Ministry for the Future's release because the good guys are doing eco-terrorism!

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1678030577486708739

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the eco revolutionary anime avatar Twitter person is definitely 100% right,, well, definitely the last sentence anyway :cheersdoge:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

the eco revolutionary anime avatar Twitter person is definitely 100% right,, well, definitely the last sentence anyway :cheersdoge:

It's not twitter anymore it's X in a fancy font :v:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

well if yuuko from nichijou says so

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RDM posted:

His entire manifesto was how much he hated technology because what it did to people. It's like calling luddites ecoterrorists cause they were smashing up factories.

What it did to people and the environment.

And I don't think it would be too wrong to call the Luddites ecoterrorists by the modern definition, which lumps actual people-killing terrorism in with sabotage. And the Luddites, although primarily a labour-rights movement, were tied in with romanticism, which is basically what passed for environmentalism at the time.

In the modern context, though, there plenty of people spiking trees, setting fire to oil rigs, and sabotaging whaling boats, all of which is legally classified as eco-terrorism.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

C.M. Kruger posted:

This is my take on it. Really made me despair that we'll prevent hundreds of millions of needless deaths because the book was nigh pollyanna-ish and a ton of people still died.

Also:

GhastlyBizness posted:

I recall some centrist/liberal pearl clutching around the time of Ministry for the Future's release because the good guys are doing eco-terrorism!

Awkward Davies posted:

Is Ministry of the Future good? I love KSR and have read a good portion of his books. Something about the cover saying it was a favorite of Obama’s is turning me off.

Lol. Fuckin' internet leftists, man.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't afford this, so it's really a shame that I'm going to buy it anyways

...When it returns to print, that is.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

A climate change book may hit too close to home at the moment, but it is likely to hit even closer to home in any future moments so now is the best time to read it

"It's not the hottest summer of your life, it's the coldest summer of the rest of your life."

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 29, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

Lol. Fuckin' internet leftists, man.

It’s not really the politics of it, I’m just not sure that an Obama endorsement indicates a sci fi book I want to read? Like it implies that it’s very important to read or something, which activates my innate knee jerk “nah” feeling. I’m looking for escapism at the moment, not something that someone might say is “relevant and timely”.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is Carrion Comfort science fiction or fantasy? I dunno. I thought it was real loving good though. Definitely makes me want to read more Simmons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I'm about halfway through Blindsight thanks to this thread and I just wanted to pop in and say...

...gently caress you all very much.

(e: and I'm sure it only gets better/worse)