Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

actionjackson posted:

I went to my LBS, they had this bontrager low stool that had this gel thing, you sat on it and it showed you were your sitbones imprints are. they said I should get a saddle around 150 mm (my current one which came with the bike is 130). I got this one.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...saddle/p/32222/

they have a 30 day trial period so no real risk. they even have 165 mm which I hadn't seen before. is the difference between this one, elite and pro just fancier materials for the rails like carbon fiber?

Those sitbone width measurements are a gimmick, you don’t sit on your sit bones on a road bike, you rotate forward to where the bones are narrower.

That measurement also tell you nothing about what saddle shape will suit you, or how fat your thighs are, or anything else that should decide your saddle.

You may as well try if it’s a trial. I find saddles being too wide on the wings is the biggest issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Help thread!

I've got this dumb idea that I want to build a single speed townie on an older steel frame. Browsing through local craigslist and facebook marketplace, I'm turning up a bunch of Schwinns, a few Raleighs, the odd Motobecane (older and newer), a Peugot, and a couple Panasonics that fit the bill. Any of these to especially avoid? A couple of the lugged Raleighs from the late 80s are really catching my eye the most. Some of the Schwinns look cool too, but I don't know when it was that their frame quality took a nosedive.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Help thread!

I've got this dumb idea that I want to build a single speed townie on an older steel frame. Browsing through local craigslist and facebook marketplace, I'm turning up a bunch of Schwinns, a few Raleighs, the odd Motobecane (older and newer), a Peugot, and a couple Panasonics that fit the bill. Any of these to especially avoid? A couple of the lugged Raleighs from the late 80s are really catching my eye the most. Some of the Schwinns look cool too, but I don't know when it was that their frame quality took a nosedive.

IIRC the French bikes like Peugeot and motobecane can have very non-standard parts sizing and threading, making repairs and parts compatibility a real nightmare.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone with the 4130 single speed from State have experience sticking bigger tires on them? They mention that they support up to 45s officially, but some people have gone as big as 50s. Basically just curious what the biggest tires I can stick on it are, excited to gently caress around on trails with it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Does anyone with the 4130 single speed from State have experience sticking bigger tires on them? They mention that they support up to 45s officially, but some people have gone as big as 50s. Basically just curious what the biggest tires I can stick on it are, excited to gently caress around on trails with it.

I have one, but I haven't changed the tires yet. Looks like it'd have plenty of room for 45's, but if you go up from there, things like the actual tire diameter, how true the wheels are, etc. will start coming into play.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I found a road bike! It’s a Giant TCR.

I figured out the clipless pedals in only 3 YouTube tutorials!

I ate poo poo forgetting to clip out!

I feel like a real bicyclist now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I found a road bike! It’s a Giant TCR.

I figured out the clipless pedals in only 3 YouTube tutorials!

I ate poo poo forgetting to clip out!

Congratulations!

quote:

I feel like a real bicyclist now.

Biker. It's pronounced, biker.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
If nobody saw you eat poo poo it doesn't count. It's the emotional injury that makes you a real bikecyclist

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dog Case posted:

If nobody saw you eat poo poo it doesn't count. It's the emotional injury that makes you a real bikecyclist

Does my 7 year old daughter who then did circles around me on her scooter count?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
If ya ain't a masochist ya ain't doin it right

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dog Case posted:

Last Sunday, getting ready to leave a coffee shop mid-ride. Minor brain fart while getting on the bike. Clipped in both feet then realized my partner wasn't ready to leave let.

"oh I need to unclip. Wait I'm horizontal. Oh no"

Crash down, bike in the air as I'm still attached and rolling around like a fat turtle on its back.

Group of other cyclists: "are you hurt?"

"just my pride"

Laughter erupts

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I still haven't bit it in full view of anyone due to clipless cluelessness.

Can't wait to see how this afternoon's super-hot-and-humid cardio ride goes now that I've put that out in the universe.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

tarlibone posted:

Can't wait to see how this afternoon's super-hot-and-humid cardio ride goes now that I've put that out in the universe.

Venture Bros movie came out. Have you seen?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

PosSibley posted:

Venture Bros movie came out. Have you seen?

Yup. I got the Blu-ray, too, and the commentary is great.

I kept the ride short today because the heat index was 100+, and my route didn't have shade. Didn't fall, thankfully.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I was passed by a bus on an steep uphill, just inches to spare. I cursed at him and flipped him off for a long time. The fucker stopped on the hill to up the confrontation. A bunch of back and forth between us later and he tried to get going again. This is a near 20 percent grade, and the bus is some sort of 50 hp POS used as a free shuttle. Needless to say he could not get going, and from the sounds of it, he broke something in the drivetrain. He yelled at me as I rode past him something about his linkage breaking. I told him it was not my loving problem. Man that felt good.

I've been riding over 35 years and this was the closest a vehicle has ever come to me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
So, I've been trying to preplan how I'd like to drop the gearing down a bit on the State 4130, and was just wondering if I am thinking about this right.

I used this gear calculator: https://kstoerz.com/gearcalc/compare/

I am comparing the State 4130 Single Speed to my Trek Domane AL2 Disc (links are to spec sheets). It looks like the State has a 46t chainring on front, and a 16t cog on the back. My road bike has 50t/34t chainrings on front, and then an 8-speed casette with 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32t on back.

I plugged all this into the comparison calculator, and this is what I get:

For ref, that is like a 2.88:1 gear ratio for the single speed.

My understanding of how to read this is that this means the single speed's default/only gear is basically going to be equivalent to if I was in the little chainring up front and the smallest cassette cog in back (which obviously would be super cross-chained, but pretend it isn't). So, for example, if I want the single speed to be more equivalent to like the little ring up front and the third smallest cog on the cassette, then I should switch the rear cog on my singlespeed to be a 22t cog, giving more like a 2:1 gear ratio and like ~55" gear inches.

Am I understanding this basically right? Basically I'd like to be able to use messing around on my road bike to get a sense of what I want to do with the cog on the singlespeed- definitely going to a bike shop for help w/ the actual swap, but wanted to get a better sense of what to ask for. I'm pretty sure it will need to drop since I'm planning to do more terrain/some hills on it and use it more for slower rides in general.

The other question I have - how big do cogs actually go? I'm not seeing that many which are above 22t (though one or two 25t which I think could also work), so I'm wondering if I really wanted to get it down to low 50" gear inches if that would actually mean switching the front chainrings, not the rear. This seems intuitively like it would be more annoying/expensive, but I'm not sure?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

It's usually easiest to do bigger changes in gearing by swapping the chainring, which might also require removing chain links, and then making smaller changes by swapping out cogs/freewheels, which usually/hopefully only requires tightening or loosening the chain within the range that the dropouts allow.

You'll be limited in how small of a chainring you can use based on the BCD of your cranks. Completely guessing but you've probably got 130bcd which I think limits you to like 38 teeth?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Dog Case posted:

It's usually easiest to do bigger changes in gearing by swapping the chainring, which might also require removing chain links, and then making smaller changes by swapping out cogs/freewheels, which usually/hopefully only requires tightening or loosening the chain within the range that the dropouts allow.

You'll be limited in how small of a chainring you can use based on the BCD of your cranks. Completely guessing but you've probably got 130bcd which I think limits you to like 38 teeth?

Oh thank you that’s super helpful! Looks like you’re exactly right on both re the BCD and the minimum teeth count.

I also found this cadence to speed by gear ratio converter: https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

I think I’ll probably try swapping to a 38t chainring first then, and then maybe go 1-2 teeth bigger on the cog depending how it feels.

It seems like that would put a normal 80-90 bike cadence at like 13-15 mph, which is realistically the speeds I’ll probably be going, and hopefully will make hills a bit less bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tildes posted:

I also found this cadence to speed by gear ratio converter: https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence
This one has a lot of features but can render speed at given cadence, and importantly gives you visual dragging of the gear tooth options:
https://www.ritzelrechner.de/?GR=DERS&KB=46,40&RZ=16&UF=2150&TF=75&SL=2.6&UN=MPH&DV=speed

quote:

I think I’ll probably try swapping to a 38t chainring first then, and then maybe go 1-2 teeth bigger on the cog depending how it feels.
38t 130bcd is somewhat rare. 39 and 40t will be more common. But that calculator will help you visualize different combos easily to help figure out a cheap option.

Keep this in mind:
- sizing down the front ring gives you more loose chain, and you’ll need to shift the rear axle back and/ or remove links in the chain
- sizing up the rear cog will give you less chain, so you’ll have to move the axle forward or swap to a longer chain

If you add teeth to the back and take the same number from the front, then the axle can stay in place. Each tooth you add/subtract is roughly 1/4” movement in the axle.

If you size down the chainring first, you might need to take links out of the chain, and then you’ll need a new chain to size up the cog.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Time and weather combined to not let me ride the new bike more than the initial around the block ride until today. Only 7 miles, but it rides very very nice. The Garmin showed the wrong gears on the head unit, but I got that corrected. Have front light and rear light/radar on the way. Seems super useful for the type of rides I'll be using it for.

Still need a power meter, but that's on hold for a little longer. Bikes and accessories are bloody expensive.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
are mountain bikes allowed?

Got this little number on the way....

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that purple fork looks so good

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that purple fork looks so good

I accidently thought the sticker was blue in the original pics I was looking at and got blue pedals. I should return them for purple I suppose

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Went for my longest ride yet today. Found a local 20 mile route on Strava that didn’t go through much traffic and after getting used to my new (first) road bike yesterday felt good about it. I can say at least that none of my problems were because of the bike.

I knew right before the last 3 miles there was a decent sized (for me, it was 350 ft and steep which is probably nothing to most but this is my first real hill) hill. I was prepared for that, as much as someone who had never done a hill could be. And the downhill after was nice even if I’m not confident to go over about 25 yet and was on the brakes a lot.

And then at the bottom of the hill the road was gated and closed. There was no way around. The only way back was… back. Back up the loving hill. I thought I was going to die.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

And then at the bottom of the hill the road was gated and closed. There was no way around. The only way back was… back. Back up the loving hill. I thought I was going to die.

Hike-a-bike is perfectly acceptable if you have reached your climbing limits. No need to die on this hill.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I was passed by a bus on an steep uphill, just inches to spare. I cursed at him and flipped him off for a long time. The fucker stopped on the hill to up the confrontation. A bunch of back and forth between us later and he tried to get going again. This is a near 20 percent grade, and the bus is some sort of 50 hp POS used as a free shuttle. Needless to say he could not get going, and from the sounds of it, he broke something in the drivetrain. He yelled at me as I rode past him something about his linkage breaking. I told him it was not my loving problem. Man that felt good.

I've been riding over 35 years and this was the closest a vehicle has ever come to me.
YES

Does my 7 year old daughter who then did circles around me on her scooter count?
Oh fo sho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the new seat with the cutout seems to help with the dick numbness. I started with it pretty much flat, then angled the noise up a tad so my rear end stayed more towards the back of the seat, and my balls lined up with the cutout. I also moved the seat forward just a tad. My rear end hurts but my dick is fine

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

PosSibley posted:

Hike-a-bike is perfectly acceptable if you have reached your climbing limits. No need to die on this hill.

I strongly considered it but was wearing clipless shoes and that didn't seem much easier.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My wife and I are starting to gradually ramp up our riding distances (she on her road bike and me on my gravel). We joined a local bicycle club and have been checking out rails to trails rides. We’d like to work up to 50 miles a day over multiple days as a long term goal. That’d let us plan some weekend rides we could do while pulling out camper. Right now we can bike 25 miles or so at a slower pace without much trouble.

She’s been plagued by saddle soreness and numbness in her feet way more than me. Anything past 10-15 miles and she starts losing feeling in one of her feet or the other. We ordered new Bontrager shoes to replace her Specialized spd ones since I’ve read Specialized run narrow and it could be her feet swelling that’s causing numbness. However, I think we are at a point where instead of just randomly changing poo poo and hoping it works, we should just spring for a bike fit. My problem is the local places offer two tiers of fit and I have no idea whether we need to spring for the motion capture option or if a standard fit would do the job.

Local place offers:

Precision Fit ($200)
Shoe Sizing and Cleat Placement
Saddle Height and Fore/Aft
Saddle Selection
Stem Length and Position
Handlebar Width and Position

Pro Fit ($350)
Motion Capture Video Analysis
Saddle Pressure Mapping Analysis
Saddle Selection
Stem Length and Position

I think the 200 dollar fit would work but is there anything I am missing about doing motion capture for what is essentially light touring style riding?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

kimbo305 posted:

This one has a lot of features but can render speed at given cadence, and importantly gives you visual dragging of the gear tooth options:
https://www.ritzelrechner.de/?GR=DERS&KB=46,40&RZ=16&UF=2150&TF=75&SL=2.6&UN=MPH&DV=speed

38t 130bcd is somewhat rare. 39 and 40t will be more common. But that calculator will help you visualize different combos easily to help figure out a cheap option.

Keep this in mind:
- sizing down the front ring gives you more loose chain, and you’ll need to shift the rear axle back and/ or remove links in the chain
- sizing up the rear cog will give you less chain, so you’ll have to move the axle forward or swap to a longer chain

If you add teeth to the back and take the same number from the front, then the axle can stay in place. Each tooth you add/subtract is roughly 1/4” movement in the axle.

If you size down the chainring first, you might need to take links out of the chain, and then you’ll need a new chain to size up the cog.

Thank you this is all super helpful. Guess I’ll get an idea of what works and then go to a bike shop :)

E: for bike fitting this might be a helpful place to see what is out there- https://www.slowtwitch.com/fitters/

tildes fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 31, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hekk posted:

My wife and I are starting to gradually ramp up our riding distances (she on her road bike and me on my gravel). We joined a local bicycle club and have been checking out rails to trails rides. We’d like to work up to 50 miles a day over multiple days as a long term goal. That’d let us plan some weekend rides we could do while pulling out camper. Right now we can bike 25 miles or so at a slower pace without much trouble.

She’s been plagued by saddle soreness and numbness in her feet way more than me. Anything past 10-15 miles and she starts losing feeling in one of her feet or the other. We ordered new Bontrager shoes to replace her Specialized spd ones since I’ve read Specialized run narrow and it could be her feet swelling that’s causing numbness. However, I think we are at a point where instead of just randomly changing poo poo and hoping it works, we should just spring for a bike fit. My problem is the local places offer two tiers of fit and I have no idea whether we need to spring for the motion capture option or if a standard fit would do the job.

Local place offers:

Precision Fit ($200)
Saddle Selection
Stem Length and Position

Pro Fit ($350)
Motion Capture Video Analysis
Saddle Pressure Mapping Analysis
Saddle Selection
Stem Length and Position

I think the 200 dollar fit would work but is there anything I am missing about doing motion capture for what is essentially light touring style riding?

I would strongly suggest finding a bike fit that isn't done through a shop.
Instead, look for one through a licensed physical therapist. As a bonus, you may be able to get insurance to cover some or all of it.

There's nothing magic about motion capture, but there is about having actual real training instead of just regurgitating Retul webinar jargon.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

bicievino posted:

I would strongly suggest finding a bike fit that isn't done through a shop.
Instead, look for one through a licensed physical therapist. As a bonus, you may be able to get insurance to cover some or all of it.

There's nothing magic about motion capture, but there is about having actual real training instead of just regurgitating Retul webinar jargon.

I appreciate the feedback. Some light searching didn’t bring up any local places that work directly with insurance companies but this dude says he can generate a bill you take to your insurance for reimbursement.

https://gophysiomn.com/bikefitting

That’s 100 bucks more than the bike shop but he is certified by BikePT if that means anything at all.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Not sure if I should post this in the competitive bike thread or here, but whatever.

Triple Bypass 2023 Trip Report

On July 22, 2023, I did my first triple bypass, an event in Colorado that goes from Evergreen to Avon over three passes, totally 118 miles and over 10k feet of climbing. I have my friend to thank, who did it last year and inspired me to:
1. Get back in to road biking again after swearing it off.
2. Ride the triple bypass with him this year

Unfortunately it #2 didn't work out since his schedule didn't line up the right way, but he definitely inspired me to spend money on road bike poo poo again. I used to be in to road biking/racing, but got out of it when more and more of my friends were ending up injured/in the hospital because of road biking accidents/racing accidents. I last had a bike in 2015 or so, so it'd been a few years since I had been riding seriously. Like everyone else though, I got back in to biking a few years ago when my wife bought a Peloton, and I'd been doing the FTP driven classes 5-6x/week for the 2-3 year period up until last summer/fall. When I signed up for the Triple Bypass last year, I bought a road bike and a Kickr, and started training 6 times/week on the trainer using Trainerroad. 95% of my training has been on trainer road. With a toddler, it's tough to tell your wife that you need to spend Saturday/Sunday away from the house for 5-6 hour training rides and leave her alone with the baby. It's a lot easier to ride in the morning before work where you're not limited by the weather, and honestly I love it. Trainerroad is incredible. It takes me back to college and data driven workouts. It periodizes my training in a way that I'm too lazy to do on my own. I road 6 times per week on the trainer, typically from 1-2 hours per day, from last fall up through the summer. When the weather I got nicer I threw in outdoor rides on Thursdays when I'm off of work, anywhere from 40-60 miles at a time, typically up one of the passes around the mountains.

I was feeling pretty good coming in to the ride, although a little bit nervous since although I've run marathons before, I've never done an event quite as long as this one. My training for the past few weeks leading up to the event was also kind of questionable, since I had really peaked my FTP a few months before the event, and the last few weeks I was basing my training off a lower FTP. I ended up starting right before 6am and felt pretty decent. Things are obviously pretty packed at the beginning, and I rode the first part of it with my friend who I had done some training rides with. She was using the event as a training ride for her Ironman later this year, so I ended up breaking away to be on my own. I probably overcooked the first pass a bit, as there was a pretty speedy paceline that I hopped on with for a 1/3 of the climb or so. Ended up getting up the first past in just about 1:35 or so, which is pretty consistent with my times riding up solo, albeit on rides where I don't have a full 3/4s of the ride left after.

Descent from Juniper to Idaho Springs was pretty decent and took me right around 30 minutes. From that point, you're climbing from Idaho Springs to the base of Loveland Pass, gaining roughly 3k of elevation over roughly 25 miles. There's a climb at Georgetown, but most of the climbing is more gradual over the entire distance. You're on a mix of roads/bike paths over this distance, and things end up spreading out a bit more. I ended up hooking up with a guy that was roughly my same speed, and we road this section together. There's a lunch stop at the base of Loveland Pass, although this is probably where I screwed things up a bit. Nutrition wise, I started the day with two 320 Maurtens bottles and two 320 Maurtens in my pockets. The lunch stop was super well stock with sandwiches/SiS gels/SiS drink/fruit/bars, but my stomach wasn't feeling it. I had half a banana and a bar, but decided against eating more. I went through roughly a 320 Maurten per hour, and ended up at the top of Loveland Pass after roughly 4:45 minutes of riding time, which I thought was pretty decent (looks like I was in the top 5% or so of riders for the two timed climbs). From the top of Loveland, you're descending to Frisco. FWIW, I'm a lovely descender, as most of my riding is spent indoors, and I'm not going to bomb down at 50mph. Once you get to the Keystone area, you have a small hill to the top, and you come down to the final big stop of the day at Frisco High School.

I felt miserable here, and wasn't quite sure if I wanted to throw up or not. I was right around 5.5 hours of riding time at this point, and stopped here for roughly 20-30 minutes or so while I figured out how much I could get down and regretted my life choices. Ended up downing a bottle of SiS and a bar or two and finally started the ride from Frisco to Copper. Rode this part mostly solo, and hated almost every minute of it. It kind of felt like a mini-bonk, although I was still turning the pedals. Thankfully Vail Pass isn't a super hard climb, and I ended up linking up with two guys who were also taking it fairly easy on the way up. The way I saw it, things were over once I got to the top of Vail pass, since it's essentially all downhill once you get to the top. I got to the top and then started the descent down. I'm not sure what it was, but it felt like I got a bit of a second wind on the way down, and by the time I got to Vail I found another group to link up with and we rode pretty much together until the finish in Avon. Final time was roughly at 7:35 of riding time, which isn't what I wanted but wasn't bad considering.

Otherwise, it was an awesome day. The conditions were pretty much ideal for the entire day, and I didn't get a single drop of rain the entire time. It's going to be impossible to beat the weather we had this year. I'm trying to figure out why I bonked 5-6 hours in, and what I should have done differently. Not sure if I overcooked myself on the first two passes or if I just didn't eat enough or both. Even though it was kind of miserable I think I'll do it again next year.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 31, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Great report. Don't know if I want to add TB to my list or not. The times I've done 100mi were... Not fun and way less than 10k climb. TB is in a grouping of events that just make me want to puke.

Congrats on finishing it!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Otherwise, it was an awesome day. The conditions were pretty much ideal for the entire day, and I didn't get a single drop of rain the entire time. It's going to be impossible to beat the weather we had this year. I'm trying to figure out why I bonked 5-6 hours in, and what I should have done differently. Not sure if I overcooked myself on the first two passes or if I just didn't eat enough or both.

Sure sounds like plenty of calories to me. I'm wondering if your body just wasn't digesting them at that effort level.

Anecdotally, I feel like my ability to take in calories while riding has improved pretty drastically over the years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Sure sounds like plenty of calories to me. I'm wondering if your body just wasn't digesting them at that effort level.

Anecdotally, I feel like my ability to take in calories while riding has improved pretty drastically over the years.

Could be. My IF was at 0.65 for the ride, so seems like it should have been within my wheelhouse.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are there any 10-speed HG drive trains that should be on my radar for getting the biggest cog I can? Advent-X goes up to 46, but I'm wondering if there are any even larger options out there. I'm eyeing up some long 10-20% grades with cargo and camping gear and my test rides proved I need better than a 30t ring -> 36t cog which is my current max ratio. The chainring is a 104BCD narrow/wide and AFAIK 30t is as low as that'll go.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Salt Fish posted:

Are there any 10-speed HG drive trains that should be on my radar for getting the biggest cog I can? Advent-X goes up to 46, but I'm wondering if there are any even larger options out there. I'm eyeing up some long 10-20% grades with cargo and camping gear and my test rides proved I need better than a 30t ring -> 36t cog which is my current max ratio. The chainring is a 104BCD narrow/wide and AFAIK 30t is as low as that'll go.

Bikepacking maintains nice gearing lists, including cassettes
https://bikepacking.com/index/wide-range-cassettes/
I only see one 10-speed on there --

quote:

we can confirm that the [Sunrace] CSMS3-TA5 and CSMS2-TA5 cassettes both offer a 11-50T range and are compatible with a standard Shimano HG freehub body.
The only variant I could spot that's >=50t is:
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126310846

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Sunrace makes some 10 speed 11-51 cassettes.

Edit: Yeah those ^ I've got one of their 11 speed 11-46 cassettes and the shifting is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hell yeah gonna ride the hurricane on sunday