Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

I decided I was done working today

What element is that that the 80s robot arms (4735) are grabbing onto? I'd never seen the Plate, Round 1 x 3 with Open Studs 77850 before but it's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hahaha, holy cow

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

trevorreznik posted:

What element is that that the 80s robot arms (4735) are grabbing onto? I'd never seen the Plate, Round 1 x 3 with Open Studs 77850 before but it's perfect

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...2iconly%22:0%7D
You encircle the dish and the edge of the dish rests on the edge of the 1 x 3 round plates

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
hmmm this is interesting

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i need a lego set that will take me a long rear end time to build. what's my best option? titanic? rivendell?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/world-map-31203

1 pile it. And do it under dim lighting. Will take literally forever.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Sunk Dunk posted:

i need a lego set that will take me a long rear end time to build. what's my best option? titanic? rivendell?

It’s going to come down to what other types of things interests you, what you have space to display, and what you want to show off to other people and/or use as a conversation starter.

The Millenium Falcon is huge and will take a while. But if you don’t like Star Wars, you may not have fun seeing it take form. A couple of posters here have said the Titanic is amazing, but that the thing is ginormous. So try to have a plan ahead of time for what you are going to do with the finished build. I personally really wanted the Star Wars ISD from a couple years ago, but I couldn’t figure out a good place to display it. And I wasn’t about to drop the $700-$800 on that set just to build it and immediately disassemble it.

If you have way too much space, you can always look into the Eiffel Tower. 10001 pieces of greebling on that thing to simulate the arching steel girders.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Sunk Dunk posted:

Get a big Classics set. Infinite builds!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Titanic is a fantastic build that will take a while. But yeah it’s big, make sure you have room for it.

I’m building Rivendell right now and it’s also fun!!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Falcon was more fun than it looks, although its a lot of unrecognisable builds for a long while. However I'd consider a vertical stand (the clear acrylic ones are best) almost mandatory for both looks and practicality, unless you have some glass coffee table display planned.

I'm seriously considering Rivendell just for how nice it looks and the amazing colour palette.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I hope the DPD delivery guy doesn't throw my hundreds of pounds of Lego sets that I've ordered over a random persons fence and claims they've delivered it again like they did with lion knight's castle :smith:

(I was very carefully tracking the order and the moment the van drove past my house I was up the hill after it)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Stockx legit/legit for Lego? Some of their prices are super low but googling doesn't set off any huge red flags immediately

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Titanic is a fantastic build that will take a while. But yeah it’s big, make sure you have room for it.

I’m building Rivendell right now and it’s also fun!!

Rivendell felt surprisingly fast for its size and complexity. Maybe I just enjoyed it a lot though?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

veni veni veni posted:

Is Stockx legit/legit for Lego? Some of their prices are super low but googling doesn't set off any huge red flags immediately

I know some folks who have had good experiences with them, but the single time that I tried to buy something through their service the seller fully bailed without any communication whatsoever. Then it took 2+ weeks to get the flop refunded and I missed an eBay auction or two that would have been worth the price versus the lovely end user experience. It was a really nicely priced 75290 Mos Eisely Cantina right on the cusp of resellers upping their prices accordingly to Lego's own price hikes.

Oh yeah, it was also really loving awful going through the extended process of actually fully deleting my account.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 27, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

veni veni veni posted:

I am banned from stock x because they sent me damaged sneakers and I refused to pay them for them after I shipped them back

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anything with an "authentication" service is at its core a scam. Still, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

still sorting through old Lego boxes, I found a few gray base pieces I can't remember what set they belonged to, and a very weird "irregular wall" mould

any idea what those are and in which sets they were used? I also found a ton more space and pirate pieces, yay, when I am done with sorting and cleaning I will take stock of what I have and start trying to rebuild vintage sets :getin:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TorakFade posted:

still sorting through old Lego boxes, I found a few gray base pieces I can't remember what set they belonged to, and a very weird "irregular wall" mould

any idea what those are and in which sets they were used? I also found a ton more space and pirate pieces, yay, when I am done with sorting and cleaning I will take stock of what I have and start trying to rebuild vintage sets :getin:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6082#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Google lens is your friend when looking at old pieces. Find unique ones, scan them, then mess around in sets on bricklink to see if you remember any specifics

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's a burp!

E: ty thread for teaching me about the urps

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

thanks, bricklink is definitely a great resource.

those grey baseplates are basically port stuff, and now I found out which set they belong to (at least, one of the sets.. I might've had more) : 6542 Launch & load port. I already found the stickered container on top of the lorry, the crane's "legs" pieces, and I clearly remember having the red boat, even if I haven't found it yet.

Dear Lord do those things go for insane prices. An incomplete 6542 goes for like 170€ on bricklink :eyepop: luckily I have no intention to sell anything, at least not until I'm a filthy hobo because I lost my job due to my newfound Lego obsession

edit: a pirate boat sail with black and white stripes came out too, and this specific sail was only ever in set 6262 King Kahuka's Throne, or 6278 Enchanted Island (and its 2001 remake but in 2001 I definitely wasn't buying Lego anymore).

I also found an islander minifigure with some accessories and I suspect I'll find more. Guessing I had the Throne because Enchanted island looks very big and I think I'd remember having that... but who knows really. This is fun :keke: having half built the new Eldorado Fortress and Barracuda Bay ready to build after I'm done with that, and having just bought Ray the Castaway, I'm going to have pleeeeenty of stuff for a caribbean diorama. Now to see if my wife will let me build that or if I have to go back to my parents' basement or something

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 27, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Burps were my favourite as a kid. Any build I did for bases or scenery had burps, every time.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
At work, engineers love the analogy of Lego bricks for composable bits of code. I once brought a BURP onto a video call to make the point that, sometimes, that is the appropriate sort of piece for a job.

This analogy was not appreciated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Asked about stock x cause it seems like the at-at sells regularly at around 500 dollars which is really drat tempting.

Really want to pick that up before it retires but want to find it at a discount. Can’t really bring myself to spend another 850 on a LEGO set but…it’s a big at at I need it lol

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

veni veni veni posted:

Asked about stock x cause it seems like the at-at sells regularly at around 500 dollars which is really drat tempting.

Really want to pick that up before it retires but want to find it at a discount. Can’t really bring myself to spend another 850 on a LEGO set but…it’s a big at at I need it lol

How do you feel about buying bootleg versions of those sets? There's some pretty good resources on Reddit /lepin for trustworthy places to buy from. I've bought from this site before and they have a clone version for under $200: https://www.youmko.com/products/-ucs-at-at-star-wars-75313-building-blocks-bricks-6782%C2%B1pcs-toys-from-china?VariantsId=17919

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know it's silly but I can't do knockoffs even if it's basically the same thing.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Yeah, same here. That being said I certainly wouldn't be able to stop myself from buying a deeply discounted Disney Princess Death Star if I stumbled upon it in a physical store.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well that site has the retired Bugatti at a massive discount and it's very tempting.

About halfway through the Chinese Ferrari Pista and I'm surprised how sturdy it is.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just built the front section of the Blacktron cruiser and drat that was some nostalgia overload. Countless hours spent in front of Saturday morning telly building similar sized MOC space fighters, making sure the cabins were air tight.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bag 11. Book 2 has begun.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
they should make a star trek TOS set. i want the enterprise

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sunk Dunk posted:

Mega has the license still I think

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Bag 11. Book 2 has begun.

What is this?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

What is this?

Mould King Monarch I’m guessing

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dogen posted:

Mould King Monarch I’m guessing

Correct.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Dogen posted:

Mega has the license still I think

drat that mega sucks

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sunk Dunk posted:

A friend just built https://www.bluebrixx.com/de/bluebrixxspecials/104183/Star-Trek-USS-Enterprise-NCC-1701-BlueBrixx-Pro

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

interesting, this looks pretty good

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

drat that mega sucks

Nah I have it and it’s awesome. Picked it up on clearance for $75. Thing is an absolute brick, plate on plate. I don’t think I could take it apart if I tried.

https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Bloks-E...a4-dc28e6d374b3

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

a sexual elk posted:

Nah I have it and it’s awesome. Picked it up on clearance for $75. Thing is an absolute brick, plate on plate. I don’t think I could take it apart if I tried.

https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Bloks-E...a4-dc28e6d374b3

this is extremely cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megas figures are genuinely unsettling looking