Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fil5000 posted:

Wait we got that show because Tony Robinson went to walk around desert locales retelling bible stories? Blood and Honey is indirectly responsible for the 2005 reboot? That's amazing. I remember that show being on on Saturday or Sunday mornings and I watched it because I was a kid and the funny Blackadder man was on telly.

I wish it was easier to find the stuff like that that Tony Robinson did. Fat Tulip, Odysseus, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

frankly, NuWho is due for some lost episodes and that one should be the first to go

I like the episode right up to that moment. Yeah, it's goofy, but it's okay for Doctor Who to be goofy sometimes and it was doing it in service of being a story about fan toxicity.

Of course that bit kills the whole thing dead.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Jerusalem posted:

Hell no, I love that if only for how much fun John Simm is having, and of course you know character-wise the Master did the entire thing ONLY so he could make that Master Race pun. :allears:

That bit was definitely the first thing they thought of and the entire episode was written backwards from that point.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

OldMemes posted:

I haven't seen Warriors of the Deep yet, but from what I've heard, it could have been improved by:

1. Letting the monster costume dry after painting.
2. Turning the lights down so the set looks grim and industrial like the writer intended, not brightly lit.
3. Not letting Ingrid Pitt use karate on the Myrka.

To point #2, IIRC the director did in fact want the lighting and set design to be darker and murkier (Myrka-ier?), along the lines of Alien. But the BBC said nope, paint those sets as white as an operating room and light it up just as brightly!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wish it was easier to find the stuff like that that Tony Robinson did. Fat Tulip, Odysseus, etc.

I loved that Odysseus tv show which was just him walking around telling the story!

...now I've got to give this a listen!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure Action Man was the greatest hero of them all, don't know about this oddyzeus chap

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OldMemes posted:

I haven't seen Warriors of the Deep yet, but from what I've heard, it could have been improved by:

1. Letting the monster costume dry after painting.
2. Turning the lights down so the set looks grim and industrial like the writer intended, not brightly lit.
3. Not letting Ingrid Pitt use karate on the Myrka.

2. would have gone a long way.

Also Warriors has one of the worst (ie best) cliffhangers in the classic series, where the Doctor falls a few meters into water and is immediately written off by Turlough despite floating to the surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0_oHUEQmxc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The new Torchwood set loving owned.

Torchwood vs their biggest nemesis: The Icelandic Tourism Board is so loving dumb and wonderful and captures everything I ever wanted from the series, ever.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Fart aliens was also an exhausting choice

Khanstant posted:

It was really considerate of the Absorbagriff in Love and Monsters to absorb Ursula with her glasses so she can still see.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

please stop acknowledging that episode exists. we don't need that energy in 2023. we can just pretend it never happened

Confusedslight posted:

The only one that truly needs to go is the one where everybody on earth turns into the master.

At least whoever wrote those stories isn't with the show anymore.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Action Jacktion posted:

At least whoever wrote those stories isn't with the show anymore.

:ohdear:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1684941791106142210?t=5xYfRjp5uD0k4wUbTdEUnw&s=19

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

that one's probably gonna be silly as hell, and I can't wait to hear it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Missy should meet all the Scottish doctors.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My Big Finish pitch: the Doctor must meet all of the kind of popular characters from his future and then get amnesia at the end in order to preserve continuity the web of time.

This might be a fun release but hauling these characters backward always seems to turn out the same.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Sometimes it just feels like they've got a random generator that they follow about what characters to include. Gomez is always great so I am looking forward to this regardless.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that Gomez had been in a Big Finish pre-Missy and I was right. She's in the 7th doctor serial "Valhalla" which I remember being pretty alright and has a pretty great cast of solid British character actors - Philip Jackson, Duncan Wisbey and Susannah York is a hell of a list.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly it'd be funny if the Doctor sometimes didn't get amnesia but just forgot. They live for so long, it's bound to happen sometimes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that Gomez had been in a Big Finish pre-Missy and I was right. She's in the 7th doctor serial "Valhalla" which I remember being pretty alright and has a pretty great cast of solid British character actors - Philip Jackson, Duncan Wisbey and Susannah York is a hell of a list.

Oh yeah, this is the one that starts with the amazing scene where the Doctor tries signing up to a jobs agency and describes himself as "eminently clubbable". Then a pack of termites engineer a power cut to steal a piece of cake.

It trickles off a little bit later on, but there's a lot of cool stuff throughout.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I didn't care for that one. It wasn't bad, but it was kind of generic and it's not like Gomez gave a stand out performance.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh yeah, this is the one that starts with the amazing scene where the Doctor tries signing up to a jobs agency and describes himself as "eminently clubbable". Then a pack of termites engineer a power cut to steal a piece of cake.

It trickles off a little bit later on, but there's a lot of cool stuff throughout.

Wait, it was that one? I was remembering a kind of standard base under seige. The one where it's a plot to sell a planet into slavery and the Doctor shows up for that was decent. Not top tier, but enjoyable.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 28, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Wait, it was that one? I was remembering a kind of standard base under seige. The one where it's a plot to sell a planet into slavery and the Doctor shows up for that was decent. Not top tier, but enjoyable.

Yeah, that's the one. And then the Doctor Banjo Kazooie's himself into a giant ant.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Random Stranger posted:

My Big Finish pitch: the Doctor must meet all of the kind of popular characters from his future and then get amnesia at the end in order to preserve continuity the web of time.

You just described like a good third of Big Finish as a whole

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

My only problem with that story is the sound effect they used for the termites speaking made me ill. Seriously. The buzzing effect they used made me physically nauseous.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What the hell is this place?!

God bless Catherine Tate. I always forget Rose is only around for a short bit, and I double forgot that series 2 doesn't end with him making the human clone or whatever to hang with her in alternate universe. She snaps me out of the teary eyes every time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will forever love after all the mopey Dr. And his lovestruck companions stuff we got:

Doctor: I just... want a mate.
Donna: You just want.... to mate?
Doctor: No no, I-
Donna: You're not mating with me, sunshine, you're a great thin stick of nothing!

:allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's great that the duo with no romantic chemistry are the ones that bicker and snipe like an old married couple

Obligatory

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love that scene, but also this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD__LyLpymY

"ON THE INTERNET!"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Harvey Wallbanger!?!?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

It's great that the duo with no romantic chemistry are the ones that bicker and snipe like an old married couple

Obligatory

The BF audio "No Place" is great, because they have to pretend to be a married couple.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My biggest criticisms of series 1 and 2 so far is "Jesus loving Christ, why is this part so goddamn stinkin loud." Bad audio mixing is a problem for a ton of shows. Here it's annoying for the usual reasons, quiet scene of dramatic talking you need subtitles to hear followed by ten minutes of boring loud action noises accompanied by equally boring footage until the show starts happening again.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Davros1 posted:

The BF audio "No Place" is great, because they have to pretend to be a married couple.

That one's my favorite since Wilf's in it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dumbass Raknos Queen. Take the fuckin deal next time so we get to see more of cool spider devil aliens.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I remember when British fans were worried about Catherine Tate being on the show, even just for the Christmas special.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I remember when British fans were worried about Catherine Tate being on the show, even just for the Christmas special.

To be fair, by that point she'd crossed into the realm of sketch comedians whose characters' catchphrases are both painfully annoying and inescapable, so it wasn't an unwarranted concern. :v:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Jerusalem posted:

Love that scene, but also this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD__LyLpymY

"ON THE INTERNET!"

stop reminding me how fun doctor who is, I'll start wanting to rewatch it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This scene of people finding out they're on the moon somehow really cracked me up. This is the most panicked I've ever seen extra be in this show so far. I'd almost expect it to be part of the plot, like something making them freak out in that particular way, but IIRC this is uhhh... the moon is a space baby but they kill it? Or then it's okay anyway? Or maybe that's later.

Martha has a good intro. Really wish they had not added the elements of romance for her and The Doctor though.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 31, 2023

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

CobiWann posted:

Listen, I wish James Corden just remained a guy that was in a very light and fun episode (and another one that was fine) in my mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was so ready to love the guy after those two episodes and then I saw his first episode or two of The Late Late Show and I'm entirely unsurprised he's the one who killed that long-running franchise dead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boxturret posted:

stop reminding me how fun doctor who is, I'll start wanting to rewatch it

Oh I am DEFINITELY throwing this goon into the briar patch!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

This scene of people finding out they're on the moon somehow really cracked me up. This is the most panicked I've ever seen extra be in this show so far. I'd almost expect it to be part of the plot, like something making them freak out in that particular way, but IIRC this is uhhh... the moon is a space baby but they kill it? Or then it's okay anyway? Or maybe that's later.

Oh man I'd forgotten about how good / bad these guys were. They were infamous, people occasionally used to post them as a "nice meltdown" image macro on another forum I was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

That bit was definitely the first thing they thought of and the entire episode was written backwards from that point.

I'm almost certain it's all-but-text that the Master's recent Rasputin plot was built entirely on the idea that he wanted to do the dance to troll the Doctor. The Cyberman and Dalek both giving each other a "THIS is why he insisted we set up base in 1910s Russia?" look was great.

https://i.imgur.com/r8VIt8D.mp4