Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Feels like temp is 109° :2monocle:

Still rather be biking than sitting in a climate controlled box getting fatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I can't remember the exact number but in order to actually account for what it costs to build+maintain shouldn't street parking be something like $200/hour. That's probably wrong but whatever, the sheer scale of invisible subsidies given to the auto industry and drivers is insane

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

mystes posted:

biking indoors is the most boring thing in the universe

I have mine set up in front of my TV and while it's not as good as a good ride outside, Wahoo SYSTM is pretty decent entertainment and I can do it on weekday evenings without worrying about getting hit by a self driving car

haven't tried out zwift or the other ones yet, might try trainer road next

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

I can't remember the exact number but in order to actually account for what it costs to build+maintain shouldn't street parking be something like $200/hour. That's probably wrong but whatever, the sheer scale of invisible subsidies given to the auto industry and drivers is insane

That adds up to over a million a year which I get your point but that seems absolutely absurd

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That adds up to over a million a year which I get your point but that seems absolutely absurd

So… $400 per hour?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its 98f and i just rode my bike for half an hour, much more fun than driving

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Saw this at lowes today and lmao.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Zero Cool, Tires: Thinner.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I used to work at Lowe’s and the number of people that would toll in with comically large trucks that weren’t actually practical for anything was insane. can’t even count how many times I’d load 2x4s into a truck bed over my shoulder because the bed was at chest height

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I don't pretend to understand everyones disabilities but I feel like being handicapped and having a truck that high are quite at odds, you know?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Inevitably tires like that on a raised truck wear out early due to the lovely alignment and the drivers just keep driving on them because they didn’t budget for replacing them so soon

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t even want cops doing more traffic enforcement. Speed cameras and red light cameras are easy enough and as long as they put up good signage than boom 24 hour enforcement

That said I had a pretty funny experience a while back I think I posted here at the time where a car blew through a stop sign then realized a ppb cruiser was right behind them and slammed on the brakes in the middle of the intersection. Driver was probably thinking oh poo poo as they then turned left probably expecting to be pulled over but the cruiser just drove through the intersection and went on with it’s day lmao. It was a nice newer model Lexus and maybe it would have been different if it had been a beater or maybe not, idk

I’m pretty sure the massive uptick in unsafe driving I’ve noticed here in the last six months is people changing habits now that it’s clear there’s no enforcement anymore

average speed cameras for freeways are better though as it means you can't floor brakes for cameras, you do need to send out someone after people with license plate concealers or fake ones. there's entire foprums dedicated to how to make decoy plates that switch with a button hooked up to your radio lol.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

silicone thrills posted:

I don't pretend to understand everyones disabilities but I feel like being handicapped and having a truck that high are quite at odds, you know?

Every time you fall out 2 stories from the driver's cabin and have a new disability when you get out

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://i.imgur.com/xyBWBpO.mp4

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

People gravely underestimate the forces involved in driving a vehicle at speed. Watching people wreck their expensive trucks because of this never gets old

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Martian posted:

:geert:

That's a p. racist politician tho (Geert Wilders)
Geert Wilders’ racism has been very representative of many Dutch people I’ve known! Goes to show how people who don’t want to gently caress their cars are secret hitlers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

heated game moment posted:

People gravely underestimate the forces involved in driving a vehicle at speed. Watching people wreck their expensive trucks because of this never gets old

If you actually want to do this without loving up your ride then do I have the vehicle for you. It's called a bicycle.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

more like highes

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

because the truck is lifted high off the ground you see

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rochallor posted:

If you actually want to do this without loving up your ride then do I have the vehicle for you. It's called a bicycle.
I hosed up my elbow and some various skin regions doing this stuff today. Bike’s fine though

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Apparently car rules apply to boats too and you can just be like "I guess I ran into them because I couldn't see where I was going"

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2023/07/24/motorboat-runs-over-fishing-boat/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dunkin Donuts was giving a big discount to anyone who rode a bike through their drive thru today so of course I had to do it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dunkin Donuts was giving a big discount to anyone who rode a bike through their drive thru today so of course I had to do it

why does no one tell me these things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Dunkin' Phillipines branding is delightful

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dog Case posted:

Apparently car rules apply to boats too and you can just be like "I guess I ran into them because I couldn't see where I was going"

:actually: "law enforcement accuse the boat driver of several crimes"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

nice

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

cat botherer posted:

I hosed up my elbow and some various skin regions doing this stuff today. Bike’s fine though

Last summer I wrecked my bicycle doing big jumps with my kids and now I have bone chips in both my elbows and can't rest on them lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol the dunken thing could never happen here in the US because basically every single drive through has rules that YOU HAVE TO BE IN A CAR TO USE A DRIVE THROUGH.

I didn't have a car until I was 21 or 22 and it was hella annoying because I worked late all the drat time and places would close the inside but not the drive through for a few hours and i'd just be like hey. please. i'd love to buy some food and they would be all NO YOU NEED A CAR.

Thus I began to hate car culture even more.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Jul 29, 2023

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Dog Case posted:

Don’t sleep on this. The boat goes directly into them because the SEVENTY FIVE year old captain, who needs a mobility scooter, can’t stand and so doesn’t see them. Insane.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

silicone thrills posted:

Often mobility problems make bending or standing up from a low seat hard, meaning a lower car is almost impossible to get in and out of, but a much higher one or a minivan is easier, because you can just kinda step in and out.

That truck seems a bit much though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

no you see they're blind

Celexi posted:

average speed cameras for freeways are better though as it means you can't floor brakes for cameras, you do need to send out someone after people with license plate concealers or fake ones. there's entire foprums dedicated to how to make decoy plates that switch with a button hooked up to your radio lol.

That'd be cool if it weren't used by shitheads to drive dangerously

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

lol the dunken thing could never happen here in the US because basically every single drive through has rules that YOU HAVE TO BE IN A CAR TO USE A DRIVE THROUGH.

I didn't have a car until I was 21 or 22 and it was hella annoying because I worked late all the drat time and places would close the inside but not the drive through for a few hours and i'd just be like hey. please. i'd love to buy some food and they would be all NO YOU NEED A CAR.

Thus I began to hate car culture even more.

It's only gotten worse. Try getting food in most of the country without a car after 8 pm

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's only gotten worse. Try getting food in most of the country without a car after 8 pm

Capitalism has solved this, it's called Uber Eats or something.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Don’t sleep on this. The boat goes directly into them because the SEVENTY FIVE year old captain, who needs a mobility scooter, can’t stand and so doesn’t see them. Insane.

Yes, but the dudes in the boat that got hit were cops, so this is actually praxis.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
When I visited the US and did some road cycling in california, nobody at the drive thru cared that I was on a bike

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

breadshaped posted:

When I visited the US and did some road cycling in california, nobody at the drive thru cared that I was on a bike

we got yelled at every friday night at Taco Bell in the 90s midwest for this, but they also went to drivethru service only at like 10PM and we wanted tacos.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
this was filed in the 2022 legislative session in Washington state but I don't think it ever went anywhere:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5903&Year=2021&Initiative=false

quote:

Any drive-up service open to motor vehicle traffic, whether publicly or privately operated, must allow other multimodal transportation alternatives to access the services. However, if it is determined that a traffic safety hazard exists by mixing motor vehicle traffic with nonmotor vehicle traffic within the same lane, an alternative lane or lanes must be made available for other multimodal transportation alternatives.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this was filed in the 2022 legislative session in Washington state but I don't think it ever went anywhere:

It died the same ignominious death as the "no right turn on red" law.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
so if Seattle passes a law (like they did with the right turn on red stuff) is the restauranteur analog that they just ignore the law and don't implement it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

We have a law like this in Portland where if the walk in area isn’t open they have to serve bikes/pedal at the drive thru. AFAIK it hasn’t been a problem in the five plus years we’ve had it