Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You get one shot. It's dumb unwritten rules nonsense, but that's pretty much always how the umps have enforced it. If Mikolas' first pitch hits Happ on the rear end, he takes 1B and game on. If Mikolas leaves it at the up and in brushback and then starts pitching normally, game on. But because he did both the crew felt obligated to run him, and we do know from the infamous our rear end is in the jackpot incident that one of the few times umps can actually face some punishment is if the league feels they let blatantly intentional beaning happen without running the culprits.

That said I get why the Cardinals fan/broadcast reaction around most parts was so visceral. If it was Gomes or Amaya getting bonked out of the game on a back swing from Tyler O'Neill (I just picked a rando, nothing against him specifically) then Steele got run from the game in the first and laughed at by the Cardinals dugout before they poured it on for a blowout, I would feel like poo poo! Particularly in the context of an approaching trade deadline that will almost certainly spell the end of a season where your team was supposed to run away with the division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mike_V posted:

the last laugh is the cardinals improving draft position bitch!!

mfw the cardinals 6th overall pick of the 2024 draft is dominating the cubs in 2028

Wrong, the guy who will dominate the Cubs for the next decade is a 29th round pick from Pallid State, a junior college for weak and sickly youths, who is called up and immediately hits .289/.378/.490 for 13 consecutive years.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm glad there was no red-assed bullahit between Happ and Willie, too bad Mikolas is a doofus. It was pretty funny when he taunted the cubs' dugout and they all just laughed at him.
Wasn't this just giving his replacement more time to warm up? I always just assume all post-tossing theatrics from pitcher and manager are about getting another dozen throws in

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

You get one shot. It's dumb unwritten rules nonsense, but that's pretty much always how the umps have enforced it.

Remember when Mets fans were itching for revenge on Clemens for beaning Piazza in the head? It was a full year before Clemens finally pitched in Shea, and then Shawn Estes blew his one shot to bean him, throwing it behind him instead.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Angels just promoted their 2023 1st round pick, Nolan Ryan Schanuel, to AA after 2 games in low A. Perry Minasian must be stopped.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Angels just promoted their 2023 1st round pick, Nolan Ryan Schanuel, to AA after 2 games in low A. Perry Minasian must be stopped.

Didn't the Angels have a draft a couple years back where they took a pitcher with every single pick?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Wrong, the guy who will dominate the Cubs for the next decade is a 29th round pick from Pallid State, a junior college for weak and sickly youths, who is called up and immediately hits .289/.378/.490 for 13 consecutive years.

please do not speak Miff Wippins into existence

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Didn't the Angels have a draft a couple years back where they took a pitcher with every single pick?

Yeah it was funny

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Wasn't this just giving his replacement more time to warm up? I always just assume all post-tossing theatrics from pitcher and manager are about getting another dozen throws in
For ejections and injuries the pitcher entering the game gets unlimited warm up throws from the mound

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bregor posted:

How has Detmers looked lately? His slider usage and K% are up but so is his hard hit%. Wish he could put it all together down the stretch.

He's a lot better over the past month, same with Canning and Anderson. Bringing in Giolito means we don't have to send poor Jaime Barria out there anymore, too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1684991463447261189?s=20

Dodgers really putting a lot of faith in their instantly fixing guys powers. Given how Heyward is playing, I do too.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

gonna be annoyed if they get Lynn for basically nothing

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lol. He definitely has the vibe of a father of two who is taking lots of testosterone whose wife owns two poms and drives an F350 with a PLAYTIME vanity license plate. All blue lives matter flag decal.

This is unusually specific.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Funny how Lynn hates California till he gets to jump to the front of the line.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Dodgers really putting a lot of faith in their instantly fixing guys powers. Given how Heyward is playing, I do too.

Both guys did great against the Cubs two days ago!

Lynn: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 2 HBP, 5 K
Kelly: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 HBP, 0 K

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Aaron Judge activated and in the lineup tonight

wb, large dinger-hitting man :)

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

live with fruit posted:

Funny how Lynn hates California till he gets to jump to the front of the line.

I don't think there's anything remotely surprising, funny or interesting about it. He's being traded from a bad team to a good team that wants him. That doesn't make him a hypocrite, it makes him a competitor.

Sydin posted:

You get one shot. It's dumb unwritten rules nonsense, but that's pretty much always how the umps have enforced it.

Did not realize this! Thanks for pointing it out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nastrini is a prospect but why is Thompson in this deal at all

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1685004270108598272?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Trayce came up with the Sox. He's coming home!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Every time I look at a guy like Thompson's career now just think hey that's a great Immaculate Grid Guy

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Milovan Drecun posted:

I don't think there's anything remotely surprising, funny or interesting about it. He's being traded from a bad team to a good team that wants him. That doesn't make him a hypocrite, it makes him a competitor.

He had every CA but Oakland on his no trade list and told Texas not to trade him to a California team in 2020.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1685015087281483776

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Every time I look at a guy like Thompson's career now just think hey that's a great Immaculate Grid Guy

He played for 5 different teams in 8 different stints, and he only played on teams in Illinois and California.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Probably should've just given him the 3/30 deal instead of Montero.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1685016426053013504?s=20

seems like a lateral at best move with the chance of looking bad for Houston, Graveman hasn't been great.

Good move by Chicago.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
what in the gently caress is dana brown just panicking because he missed out on the other white sox pitchers?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Astros GMs and trade deadline deals for middling relievers, name a more iconic duo

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

god I hope the braves don't trade for another odorizzi level shitter this year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's kinda sad to see the Sox going into full on fire sale for mediocre prospect returns. This was finally supposed to be the year they had their full young core while also free of their dreaded, geriatric drunk of a manager, and instead they immediately imploded into the most dismal team of the season and never even threatened to recover from that spiral.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

It's kinda sad to see the Sox going into full on fire sale for mediocre prospect returns. This was finally supposed to be the year they had their full young core while also free of their dreaded, geriatric drunk of a manager, and instead they immediately imploded into the most dismal team of the season and never even threatened to recover from that spiral.

It's a strange that this was a make or break year and they hired their manager away from the Royals.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kendall Graveman??

(yes of course I know who he is we had him a while back so I repeat...)

Kendall Graveman????

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Really don’t get the Dodgers interest in Lance Lynn. Surely they could have used Nastrini in a package for someone better, like Montgomery.

It’s nearly August, now is not the time for bargain hunting reclamation projects.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's funny to me that Dodgers fans doubt their FO.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Welcome back Graveman...I guess

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't know why anybody else is trying when it's abundantly clear that the Cubs will never lose again.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Really don’t get the Dodgers interest in Lance Lynn. Surely they could have used Nastrini in a package for someone better, like Montgomery.

It’s nearly August, now is not the time for bargain hunting reclamation projects.

Yeah I don't get it either, the Angels lit him up twice this year. His only strength is that he can reliably go 6 innings, albeit 6 lovely innings.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

It's funny to me that Dodgers fans doubt their FO.
They entered this season with a lot of risk, lacking depth. I was concerned about it then and that has proven to be an issue. This rotation is held together with duct tape and twine right now. Syndergaard for example was a baffling signing from the start. He’s old and has lost velo for years, there was no reason to expect they could fix him. Previous reclamation projects like Heaney or Anderson had legit upside, things like “he’s finally healthy for the first time in 5 years.”

You can say I’m greedy or spoiled for being critical of a team on pace for 93 wins, but considering the bar they’ve set in recent years that is a let down.

This FO is pretty good but sorry, I’m not gonna just blindly trust they can fix Lance “6.47 ERA” Lynn in a matter of weeks.

Sometimes it feels like they’re getting a little high on their own hype when it comes to fixing players.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Can't wait to see what Team's #13 Prospect Mozeliak brings in for Dylan Carlson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

They entered this season with a lot of risk, lacking depth. I was concerned about it then and that has proven to be an issue. This rotation is held together with duct tape and twine right now. Syndergaard for example was a baffling signing from the start. He’s old and has lost velo for years, there was no reason to expect they could fix him. Previous reclamation projects like Heaney or Anderson had legit upside, things like “he’s finally healthy for the first time in 5 years.”

You can say I’m greedy or spoiled for being critical of a team on pace for 93 wins, but considering the bar they’ve set in recent years that is a let down.

This FO is pretty good but sorry, I’m not gonna just blindly trust they can fix Lance “6.47 ERA” Lynn in a matter of weeks.

Sometimes it feels like they’re getting a little high on their own hype when it comes to fixing players.

They still have the fourth highest xW-L in baseball.