Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's been an interest (clearly for quite a while) in signaling military in an impossible to miss or misinterpret way that if you gently caress with American forces, even a small one*, you will get hosed by the full weight of whatever conventional force the US military can throw at you, and then some. That's not the entirety of US posture, but the Wagner attack gave about the clearest opportunity to demonstrate that that could ever have been asked for.

*Iranian response to Suleimani's assassination not withstanding, which was clearly a whole stupid can of worms of its own.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So, communicating the image that Americans are crazy bastards with lots of automatic weaponry?

Sounds about right.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I took away that the Conoco battle was a plausible deniability propaganda gambit -- if they could get America to directly fire in Russian AA it would make America the "clear" aggressors; but even now, it serves "war for oil" neocolonialist America narratives in propaganda.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wrong thread lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's been an interest (clearly for quite a while) in signaling military in an impossible to miss or misinterpret way that if you gently caress with American forces, even a small one*, you will get hosed by the full weight of whatever conventional force the US military can throw at you, and then some. That's not the entirety of US posture, but the Wagner attack gave about the clearest opportunity to demonstrate that that could ever have been asked for.

*Iranian response to Suleimani's assassination not withstanding, which was clearly a whole stupid can of worms of its own.

I think, in the context of the time, there was also a lot of pressure to avoid another scenario like the one that happened in Niger in 2017, when a SOF unit was ambushed by ISIS militants and two Green Berets were killed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's a very good point.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Here's a pretty good long read on the promotion of the Mosvka to submarine: https://www.economist.com/interactive/1843/2023/07/27/how-ukraines-virtually-non-existent-navy-sank-russias-flagship

It's probably paywalled, but I am sure there are ways for non-subscribers to access it. Has a dope wireframe scroll-through of the Mosvka as well.

Lots of wink-wink-nudge-nudge from the Ukrainian side on how they found her, and a guest appearance from a co-creater of Harpoon, among lots of other interesting stuff.

e: an excerpt:

quote:

Once the location of the Moskva had been confirmed on April 13th, Neizhpapa ordered two Neptune missiles to be fired at it. The technical expert showed me a video on his phone of what he claimed was the launch of the missiles that day. The launcher truck was parked in a thin line of trees with bare branches. At ignition, the cap of the launching tube, which looks like the lid of a rubbish bin, was dispelled from the barrel and crashed into a field of green spring wheat. A fiery roar and a trail of black smoke followed. Then the second missile was launched.

Silence reigned in Neizhpapa’s command centre. The Neptune, which is five metres long, flies at 900km per hour and is designed to skim ten metres above the surface of the sea in order to avoid detection. Neizhpapa watched the clock tick through the six minutes that it was supposed to take to reach the target. For a long time nothing seemed to happen. Then Russian radio channels erupted in chatter. It was apparent that smaller ships were hurrying towards the Moskva. The radio traffic was garbled and panicked. Neizhpapa inferred that the ship had been hit.

It didn’t take long for news to spread. “People started calling me from all over Ukraine,” Neizhpapa said. “There was only one question: ‘Did it sink or not?’ I said, ‘I can’t answer that!’ Hours passed. I was constantly asked the same thing. I joked I wanted to get on a boat myself and go and look. I said, ‘Do you realise that this is a very big ship? Even if it was hit by both missiles, it wouldn’t sink immediately.’”

Some hours later, satellites spotted a large red thermal image in the middle of the sea. Officials from nato phoned Neizhpapa, he recalled, “to say that they saw something burning beautifully”.

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 28, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If Wagner were actually dumb enough to actually attack into Poland, it’d be an awfully convenient way to repeat “nope they’re rogue, fuckin’ dust ‘em” and solve that problem once and for all.

They got on the wrong side of a drat AC-130 in Syria, that’s on the far end of the spectrum of finding out.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mzuri posted:

It's probably paywalled, but I am sure there are ways for non-subscribers to access it. Has a dope wireframe scroll-through of the Mosvka as well.

uBlock Origin can remove the paywall with its element zapper.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Quackles posted:

drat that is nice, didn't even realize it could do that. This is how often I check on what my Chrome plugins are doing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/BadBalticTakes/status/1684677880419106816?s=20

quote:

The “anonymous US official” supposed to be briefing Hersh used a russian expression (мальчик в трусиках) that English speakers don’t use.

If anyone needed a reason to ignore anything Hersh ever posts again, this would be it. More than just the quoted bit in the post.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/nknewsorg/status/1684814331509399552

prigozhin should give them much needed hammers

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Would it be weird if I said that I wanted to see more of the oiled up North Korean death commandos doing cool martial arts poo poo in a jungle clearing?

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 28, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cirque du guerre is fun and harmless (for those watching)

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

These guys really out here waving at robots smh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Quackles posted:

thanks for this

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Wrong thread lol

Hello, doing some investigative journalism here, but did you think you were posting in a different thread and it ended up in this thread?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

PurpleXVI posted:

If anyone needed a reason to ignore anything Hersh ever posts again, this would be it. More than just the quoted bit in the post.

:pusheen:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Alan Smithee posted:

cirque du guerre is fun and harmless (for those watching)

I read that wrong and now I want cheese

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Hello, doing some investigative journalism here, but did you think you were posting in a different thread and it ended up in this thread?

I did, I had a couple tabs open and typed a post in one thread meaning to put it in another.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PurpleXVI posted:

Goddamnit Sy, you used to be cool.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Abu Ghraib was the last thing he actually uncovered. Everything since then has been broke brained conspiracy theories.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think the conspiracy stuff went to his head, he sees poo poo in every shadow.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crash Landing Into You season 2 looking good!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Abu Ghraib was the last thing he actually uncovered. Everything since then has been broke brained conspiracy theories.

Hmm weird how the journos from the mid-2000s that had juicy deets on American misdeeds are getting lines like this now!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Alan Smithee posted:

prigozhin should give them much needed hammers

They just sold the hammers to him, why should he give them back?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he brought hammers to a missile fight

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

no it was a US SF base at an oil facility (with an SDF base as well I believe), wagner was getting paid for their efforts via a 25% share of the revenues of any facility they recaptured and they clearly misjudged the situation and figured US forces didn't want a fight.

Sorry to drag up something from the last page, but.. what? what the gently caress?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wibla posted:

Sorry to drag up something from the last page, but.. what? what the gently caress?

"The weak Yankees are cowards and will run like dogs!" - British Confederate German Japanese Russian commander moments before finding out

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
People keep not understanding how Russia will gladly sacrifice their proxy soldiers by the thousands for very stupid reasons.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wibla posted:

They probably assumed the political optics would keep them safe- American troops don't want to cause an international incident type thinking.

It's not that they wouldn't, they probably assumed they couldn't. Just wild assumptions here, but they probably figured a big assault force would cause the US element to reposition or fall back, and if they did fight, it would be organic small arms. Maybe some mortars and HMGs, a few gun trucks. They didn't expect the B52 crew to larp Arc Light the Ashau.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

All US forces operate under rules of engagement that include an inherent right to self defense. So if they're attacked, they can shoot back.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

All US forces operate under rules of engagement that include an inherent right to self defense. So if they're attacked, they can shoot back.

And American troops don't shoot back so much as terraform

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

psydude posted:

Yea, but these are also russian wagner troops so I'm pretty sure some nationalistic "those americans are all giant babies who can't handle a real fight" is a thing plenty of them believed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And American troops don't shoot back so much as terraform

Shooting directions over a radio to a machine dropping 2000 pounds of Freedom.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Self Defense doesn't normally imply aircraft stacked every 1000ft and full batteries of fire.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Self Defense doesn't normally imply aircraft stacked every 1000ft and full batteries of fire.

Unless you're american :smuggo:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

:wrong:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

What's the point of being 25% of the world's economy if you aren't gonna show off a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Fair fights are overrated. That's how you get shot and stuff.