Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Spotted this leggy friend on my bedroom curtains, not the best pic but had the markings of a wolf spider. Not that it means much since there are so many wild/house spiders with similar marks, but I like to imagine he was doing an improv rock wall climb to embarrass me, all like "yeah you WISH you could do this, fat bald monkey giant". He lived...for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone familiar with this thing? Never seen it before and it's easily the biggest beetle I've seen here on the Central Oregon coast. Easily 1.5":

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Literally A Person posted:

Anyone familiar with this thing? Never seen it before and it's easily the biggest beetle I've seen here on the Central Oregon coast. Easily 1.5":

Ten lined June beetle or relative

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

also i got eaten from the waist down by chiggers

gently caress chiggers

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

These fuckkin guys

Great shots otherwise but goddamn the Japanese beetle horde they’re gonna kill my beans

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Leperflesh posted:

My folks place in colorado springs is near a park that was full of bugs. These were the most photogenic:

and the, I presume, female of the same species:

Damselflies.
My sister and I used to call them “thataways”
Because when you tried to get a look at one it would fly off thataway >

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

bunch of these guys just hanging out and practicing their planking technique

i know ants do this with aphids, but if those are aphids they're the weirdest i've ever seen

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I love this one

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This seems like a reasonable enough place to ask - Anyone here have experience mounting/preserving insects? I posted a Hercules beetle here a couple weeks ago, and she unfortunately passed, and has been sitting outside my work for awhile. I scooped her up yesterday after a week of wondering "... Am I at a point in my life where I'm gonna become a bug mounting guy?" She is stinky, so I'm thinking to soak her in isopropyl alcohol, not sure if that's wise.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slugworth posted:

This seems like a reasonable enough place to ask - Anyone here have experience mounting/preserving insects? I posted a Hercules beetle here a couple weeks ago, and she unfortunately passed, and has been sitting outside my work for awhile. I scooped her up yesterday after a week of wondering "... Am I at a point in my life where I'm gonna become a bug mounting guy?" She is stinky, so I'm thinking to soak her in isopropyl alcohol, not sure if that's wise.

Some googling can probably set you straight —iirc isopropyl is not appropriate for preserving the specimen colors but I’m not sure what is better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's been years, but as far as I remember, we put them in isopropyl for a bit before mounting them way back when I made bug displays for 4-H. I don't remember anything about color damage, but that'd definitely be worth looking up.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
What I've been seeing is that soaking will temporarily darken them, but it *should* lighten back up when they dry out. It's definitely a concern though. I'm tempted to just leave her in the shed for a few months to see if she stops stinking eventually. I think I need to soak at least briefly to pin it though, one way or another.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Does anyone know what these are? I saw them on the beach in San Diego the other day.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Some variety of ark clam?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
If it helps, they were pretty small, maybe a little under 2cm on the long axis.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I thorougly regret not bringing anything that could take pictures when popping down to the local grocery store earlier today, because on the way there I saw the most metal bumblebee I've ever seen sitting on a flower. It was really beefy, and also almost completely black, with only one orange band at the end of its butt. Even the wings looked like they were made of black leather. Like a bumblebee that was also a biker.

And then on the way back I saw a squirrel climbing up a tree, which isn't something I see often around here.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Saw a cool wasp.

Bonus bumble from earlier this year.

SAY YOHO fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 30, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Spotted a mantidfly of some sort.

Also this cool stink bug nymph.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

How did I not realize there was a thread that enjoys buggy pictures??? (Thought this was actually just a squirrel thread)

I love taking pictures and videos of bugs and various critters I find. I shall return with my goods later today.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Grey Cat posted:

How did I not realize there was a thread that enjoys buggy pictures??? (Thought this was actually just a squirrel thread)

I love taking pictures and videos of bugs and various critters I find. I shall return with my goods later today.

Yes!!

Also mantidflies are so cool and I forget they exist.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

McGavin posted:

Spotted a mantidfly of some sort.

Whoa

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

rainy yesterday/last night means slimy friends this morning

here is one having breakfast

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

my cat is norris posted:

rainy yesterday/last night means slimy friends this morning

here is one having breakfast

Slugs and snails are great! Very silly little faces.

I had a very large miss visit us the other day, she stayed there from when I woke up to about 2pm. I want to say she's some sort of owlet moth? Colorado.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Romantic moth in jail visiting hours picture.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Romantic moth in jail visiting hours picture.

I'll wait no matter how long it takes, I know she's not guilty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
spider baby update: they've moved to the other side of the planter so it's harder to see them, but they've dramatically increased in size while also dramatically decreasing in number. i'm sure these have nothing to do with each other...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I didn't keep an eye on my dill.

Swallowtail

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Meanwhile the fennel I grew to attract butterflies to lay eggs is a good four feet tall and untouched :(

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

For the last few years I’ve encouraged a few patches of milkweed growing around my property. Is this what I think it is?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sammus posted:

For the last few years I’ve encouraged a few patches of milkweed growing around my property. Is this what I think it is?

Oh cool, I expect so, and presumably getting close to hatching based on the dark color!

I wish I had photos, but hatching butterflies and moths is one of my mom's hobbies. Lots of monarchs, some luna and polyphemus moths, and occasional other random ones she finds. Watching them hatch out and spread their wings is really neat.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Aww yeah

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Holy poo poo that looks cool. Like, comic book evil logo poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the only functional polycule (said function eventually being Lunch, for the fellas)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fuckin gradius-rear end lookin spiders

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

BonHair posted:

Had a dragon of some sort visit Copenhagen a few weeks ago, and I remembered the photo just now:

Aeshna grandis, brown hawker/brun mosaikguldsmed/brun mosaikslända.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

So is that their ending pose after they performed a dance for you? Cause it looks like a spider dance troupe.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They're about to get busy and have dinner.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Bored posted:

So is that their ending pose after they performed a dance for you? Cause it looks like a spider dance troupe.

If you give them 50 skulltulas you get the giant wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I hadn't seen my best squirrel friend in a few weeks and was afraid that something might have happened to her, but she came back to visit me this morning looking fabulous in her summer coat with a flower behind her ear :3: