Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

DaveKap posted:

This is true when you're trying to calculate ultra-complex synergistic numbers but this is a simple and basic "get extra damage" ability. It either works or it doesn't and currently the simplest factor of seeing that shows it doesn't work. The fact you can test it by summoning minions and you can only do that with corpses which are only outside of towns, it's not an "in town" problem either.

Someone at the high level on the design side of this game loves opaque game mechanics. I wouldn’t try to glean anything from in game information other than trying poo poo.

Most recent example: auto summon necro heart says “corpse skills”, but the summon skeleton ability isn’t flagged with the corpse tag. Despite that it casts the ability, but only until you have all your skeleton homies. The reasonable guesses for what would happen before testing in game were either it would not summon skeletons at all, or it would remove the need to manually press the button in most cases.

No one would guess from the information given by the game what the behavior actually ended up being. There are loads of other examples so the only reasonable conclusion is that isn’t important for the D4 team.

Edit: calling out the summon heart because it only works with 3 skills so they could’ve just said what it actually does. The resulting text would’ve been less complicated than malignant pact heart 🤷

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Wrong

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a slippery slope, and eventually we'll be able to zoom out so far that our seasonal cosmetics are imperceptible

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Tree of whispers is all that's needed. It really becomes absurdly apparent when you are using the frozen orb enchant how little we can see of the active battlefield lol

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Give me a photo mode I can activate at any time, to keep it balanced you take any damage you would have taken while frozen for photo mode when you exit the mode.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Their presence on the video tells the whole story

These are happy devs, and it is a time of Celebration at blizz hq

They must have determined that their fears were unfounded and it's safe to let the Power Fantasy dial spin spin spin

Imo it really feels like they had management hovering over their shoulders shouting “slow it down!” “Engagement!” and when they saw the backlash/drop in players they let the devs make the changes they actually wanted to from the beginning

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
god the barber is the stupidest thing for barbarians. bleeds dont work so you cant use that paragon board, exploit doesnt work properly, wrath doesnt work, nothing loving works, cant extend berserking because mobs dont bleed. takes out every last interaction that makes the class even slightly enjoyable and leaves you with a pure numbers machine that isnt even fun because every mob appears invulnerable until its too late. like i might literally have to reduce my crit% so i have a chance at applying bleeds to mobs so i can get somewhere

and of course the other barb heart that gives a higher chance to crit doesnt work with any skill the barb has except upheaval. straight up double swing doesnt give the buff, evading consumes it

this wouldnt be too bad if we had access to multiple loadouts but literally every other barb build in the game needs bleeding somewhere

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 29, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Are you sure exploit doesn’t work with it? Kills seem just as fast for me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
exploit doesnt apply unless you hit someone. ww is not too difficult to get to 80%+ crit which means you are not proccing exploit on 80% of mobs (because yeah they die)

you can work around it, it doesnt cripple the build, but it does just add another buggy feeling interaction

dont get me wrong - ww is extremely powerful right now, and barber makes it even more powerful, but zero things about the build click in a fun way. this is already on top of other bugs, like berserk ripping being non-functional because there was a bug with it two weeks ago, disembowel and the barbarian armor not working with half of the ways to apply bleeding, the barbarian heart not working on barbarian skills, the dance heart self-applying vulnerable because the life cost is counted as damage

i wonder if i can apply barber to myself with the dance and then blow myself up?

edit: hahaha ill bet the barber also disables the chain lightning heart

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 29, 2023

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean the real question is "why the gently caress didn't they launch with this" considering that rifts were a widely loved feature of Diablo 3.

Like they had a solution that worked, already!

Pages later but "development hell" and honestly, I think they were listening far too much to the POE/Diablo 2 stans.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Quick what else can we bully to get in in then next week???

Get them to unfuck all horse interactions

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
good that dev team is now focused on making the game fun instead of trying to keep people logged in. Still sitting firmly on the side of the fence that the seasonal/eternal split is stupid as hell and there's no fun reason to make me start again

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Why is the horse boost thing even a thing, and why is it limited and on a loving cooldown? Just make it always run fast!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Rock Puncher posted:

good that dev team is now focused on making the game fun instead of trying to keep people logged in. Still sitting firmly on the side of the fence that the seasonal/eternal split is stupid as hell and there's no fun reason to make me start again

it's ARPG tradition

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rock Puncher posted:

It’s really not a big deal as it gets you to try new poo poo out.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

It’s really not a big deal as it gets you to try new poo poo out.

that doesn't sound like a fun reason though

HKR posted:

it's ARPG tradition

tradition sucks

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Enigma posted:

Why is the horse boost thing even a thing, and why is it limited and on a loving cooldown? Just make it always run fast!

Why can't this idiot dash as many times as I remember Epona doing in Twilight Princess?
What self respecting animal in the hell world of Diablo(I forget the country's name) gets scared of a sentient pack of blood flies?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Rock Puncher posted:

that doesn't sound like a fun reason though

tradition sucks

okay eternal still exists then

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The boost would be fun if you could use it to crush through barriers with it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah you don't have to do seasons at all! It's just that they're real real fun

Plus a character is only fun for so long. It's great to try a 2nd or even a 3rd class within a season. By the time you rotate all the way back around, the sandbox has changed so much that you may as well be playing ((Class)) for the first time

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The boost would be fun if you could use it to crush through barriers with it.

and if you didn't come to a complete stop because you hit a pebble

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

HKR posted:

okay eternal still exists then

yeah but eternal right now is surely just a pile of poo poo to play considering they nerfed everything to make the seasonal content more relevant / balanced or whatever

why not just give the seasonal content to the eternal realm and let people who want to do ladder or whatever it is do that..

it's dumb and i'm sorry that you can't see that

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah you don't have to do seasons at all! It's just that they're real real fun

Plus a character is only fun for so long. It's great to try a 2nd or even a 3rd class within a season. By the time you rotate all the way back around, the sandbox has changed so much that you may as well be playing ((Class)) for the first time

the thing is, I can do this withotu blizzard deciding when I have to do this. That would be fun.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rock Puncher posted:

yeah but eternal right now is surely just a pile of poo poo to play considering they nerfed everything to make the seasonal content more relevant / balanced or whatever

why not just give the seasonal content to the eternal realm and let people who want to do ladder or whatever it is do that..

it's dumb and i'm sorry that you can't see that

the thing is, I can do this withotu blizzard deciding when I have to do this. That would be fun.

Diablos had seasonal/nonseason split for like two decades now.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

Diablos had seasonal/nonseason split for like two decades now.

it's still bad

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Rock Puncher posted:

so dont i guess? it might not be a compelling reason for you to play seasonal but it is a very good reason for why it probably won't change

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's no split, eternal doesnt exist. its a trash can. goodbye

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

imagine playing diablo and getting mad seasons exist, of all things

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Verviticus posted:

so dont i guess? it might not be a compelling reason for you to play seasonal but it is a very good reason for why it probably won't change

yes, that's exactly where I'm at. Sad that blizzard wont get to enjoy my player time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rock Puncher posted:

it's still bad

Na resets are cool and good. Just pick a random class then go kill demons (except me). All new power spikes to enjoy.

It's totally cool to get off the loot treadmill to rest too. Play season until you don't then come back again when it resets. It's a lovely design.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

also it's hardly starting over if they allow you to skip the story, and the first three renown tiers (would like it to be all six next season)

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

imagine playing diablo and getting mad seasons exist, of all things

I think I'm being pretty reasonable. It doesn't really matter, but I can't see any good reason for doing it this way, the main reason is "but its tradition!" and "well it sucks but you can try new things"

the latter you can do whenever you want, not on blizzards schedule, the former, welp

HKR posted:

also it's hardly starting over if they allow you to skip the story, and the first three renown tiers (would like it to be all six next season)

I did skip the story on my second character, that was a mistake. Even if you skip the cutscenes it's still more fun than not having it as an option

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Rock Puncher posted:

yes, that's exactly where I'm at. Sad that blizzard wont get to enjoy my player time.

I'm sure they are very upset. See the thread title and make a threatening post on the bnet forums. You will probably make a difference

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bleh, I got my season character to 26 and it’s just annoying having to run around doing all the same side quests and reknown grind again. Not sure I could last another season if starting from scratch.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Rock Puncher posted:

I think I'm being pretty reasonable. It doesn't really matter, but I can't see any good reason for doing it this way, the main reason is "but its tradition!" and "well it sucks but you can try new things"

There are other advantages like giving everyone a level starting ground every few months, a fresh economy, and a new ladder climb. Most of the advantages are self evident. If you still don't like them maybe the entire genre is not for you.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

I'm sure they are very upset. See the thread title and make a threatening post on the bnet forums. You will probably make a difference

there's not enough people who agree with me on this one, so it's hopeless :negative:

HKR posted:

There are other advantages like giving everyone a level starting ground every few months, a fresh economy, and a new ladder climb. Most of the advantages are self evident. If you still don't like them maybe the entire genre is not for you.

again you can do this without making eternal a garbage dump funeral home

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
excellent title change

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Rock Puncher posted:

there's not enough people who agree with me on this one, so it's hopeless :negative:

again you can do this without making eternal a garbage dump funeral home

that's the player base, hungry for seasonal content, doing seasonal content. If you don't want that, you'd be happier with WoW.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

HKR posted:

that's the player base, hungry for seasonal content, doing seasonal content. If you don't want that, you'd be happier with WoW.

WOW is worse than diablo in every possible way

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bleh, I got my season character to 26 and it’s just annoying having to run around doing all the same side quests and reknown grind again. Not sure I could last another season if starting from scratch.

You don't have to do those things which is pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
working through T3 NM dungeons now with trampleslide build. pretty fun.