Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

I never want to hear a bad word about The Campaign for North Africa again.

wtf??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
so there’s a modern conflict GMT game, Order & Opportunity, about the conflict between the democracies of the US and EU vs authoritarianism of Russia and China. I asked the devs about how it seems to be a basically neocon view of the world going by their sources and if there’s going to be anything by Chinese or Russian sources in global politics. “it’s not neo con. also no.”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It is impressive that American chauvinism makes it impossible to even imagine western europe as an independent power.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

It is impressive that American chauvinism makes it impossible to even imagine western europe as an independent power.

Are they? Like outside of France's empire rebuilding in Africa, they're all subject to the American world order

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Lostconfused posted:

Americans are the most narcissistic people on the planet

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

When was the last time Europe acted independently of the wishes of American Empire? We just watched them destroy their domestic economies, and empty their military reserves so we could wage war on Russia. Christ we even blew up the gas pipelines that made the German economy run and they just demurred. Europe is not an independent power in any single way. The exact opposite, they're up on the chopping bloc to keep the American empire running

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The UK secretly colluding with France and the Netherlands to reoccupy their Asian colonies in 1945, against American wishes.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The UK secretly colluding with France and the Netherlands to reoccupy their Asian colonies in 1945, against American wishes.

That and Suez were the last independent actions of Europe as a power. Which if you want assert being an independent power bloc you might need something more than 2 actions more than a half century ago

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its so cool that the one time europe acted independently of american interests, they made things worse.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

arguably willy brandt's Ostpolitik was also an independent european geopolitical action

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Lostconfused posted:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

its so cool that the one time europe acted independently of american interests, they made things worse.

Sounds like Pax Americana is a force for good in the world :smug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

When was the last time Europe acted independently of the wishes of American Empire?

old, 2014 vintage succ (that's making it's way through Twitter today for some reason)

Financial Times: How the Euro was saved

maybe this also belongs in either the Doomsday Econ or the Ukraine threads, but it speaks to the depths of which Europe was (and is) subordinated to American interests

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KomradeX posted:

When was the last time Europe acted independently of the wishes of American Empire? We just watched them destroy their domestic economies, and empty their military reserves so we could wage war on Russia. Christ we even blew up the gas pipelines that made the German economy run and they just demurred. Europe is not an independent power in any single way. The exact opposite, they're up on the chopping bloc to keep the American empire running

While I agree with the general sentiment we should bear in mind that at least France and alsonI believe the UK maintain nuclear arsenals independent from the US, which really isn't nothing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

That and Suez were the last independent actions of Europe as a power. Which if you want assert being an independent power bloc you might need something more than 2 actions more than a half century ago

I think the neoliberal mindset has made it so they can just move to the US once they've sold out everything. Under neoliberalism the aspirational ideal is 'number' which is to be made to 'go up'. So who cares about the EU? The US is the current HQ of number. So they'll be Good little EU bureaucrats until everything is hollowed out then move. I assume they hope to be awarded for their deeds once in the heart of empire.

Essentially the EU died the moment neoliberalism became a thing and profit motive replaced god

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

While I agree with the general sentiment we should bear in mind that at least France and alsonI believe the UK maintain nuclear arsenals independent from the US, which really isn't nothing.

is the french nuclear doctrine still the most "loose"? i seem to remember they didnt really reserve the use of nukes at all compared to all the other powers

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah it's still literally just that end of the world animation

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

KomradeX posted:

38 years ago France sent a special operations team to blow up a Greenpeace ship docked in New Zealand because they were angry at Greenpeace for protesting their nuclear tests, sinking it, killing a guy, nearly killing many more people, permanently damaging France-NZ relations even to this day, and also causing damage to US-NZ relations that took years to recover from

basically nothing since then

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Do you ever seeing them.used against the United States? If not they are just an extension of the US's own nuclear force to be used against offical enemies of the Liberal World Order tm.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The French nuclear arm is kinda funny insofar as the Mirage IV was designed to be a one-way trip, the rationale being that their airfield would be destroyed while they were up in the air anyway.

You're also forgetting the Italians, who armed a cruiser to fire ballistic missiles.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

38 years ago France sent a special operations team to blow up a Greenpeace ship docked in New Zealand because they were angry at Greenpeace for protesting their nuclear tests, sinking it, killing a guy, nearly killing many more people, permanently damaging France-NZ relations even to this day, and also causing damage to US-NZ relations that took years to recover from

basically nothing since then

Sinking a Greenpeace ship and slightly damaging inter anglophone relations isn't the same as forging a separate path than what DC has decided

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Sinking a Greenpeace ship and slightly damaging inter anglophone relations isn't the same as forging a separate path than what DC has decided

that's true but it's also the closest thing to 'independent action' Europe has taken in decades, notable both in that it happened and also for how weak and meaningless it was

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mitterand was also meaningfully strategically autonomous. there's also iraq 2003. it happens!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
France in general has liked to play at being independent from the US power bloc, including symbolically leaving NATO for a while, and even today making attempts to carry out its own colonial ventures in Africa separate from the US instead of just sending a few guys to support US operations like the Brits do

of course, they are still functionally contributing to maintaining US hegemony either way, they just get to feel better about it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think the neoliberal mindset has made it so they can just move to the US once they've sold out everything. Under neoliberalism the aspirational ideal is 'number' which is to be made to 'go up'. So who cares about the EU? The US is the current HQ of number. So they'll be Good little EU bureaucrats until everything is hollowed out then move. I assume they hope to be awarded for their deeds once in the heart of empire.

Essentially the EU died the moment neoliberalism became a thing and profit motive replaced god

This is wrong. The EU is the political-fiscal realization of neoliberalism within Europe. European elites (and general publics for that matter) generally loathe the United States in its caricature as a nation of parvenu fat ugly cowboy morons but recognize that NATO and the Washington Consensus were (and are) indispensable for rebuilding and retaining the Continent's real stores of capital contra the rest of the planet after ye Olde Imperialism's internal contradictions and national antagonisms blew it the gently caress up. If the United States' ever turns decisively towards some Trumpian neo-protectionist-mercantilist chicanery you'll see EU nations turn and run from America, not 'move to the heart of the empire.'

Fuligin has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Jul 31, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Fuligin posted:

This is wrong. The EU is the political-fiscal realization of neoliberalism within Europe. European elites (and general publics for that matter) generally loathe the United States in its caricature as a nation of parvenu fat ugly cowboy morons but recognize that NATO and the Washington Consensus were (and are) indispensable for rebuilding and retaining the Continent's real stores of capital contra the rest of the planet after ye Olde Imperialism's internal contradictions and national antagonisms blew it the gently caress up. If the United States' ever turns decisively towards some Trumpian neo-protectionist-mercantilist chicanery you'll see EU nations turn and run from America, not 'move to the heart of the empire.'

Europe just destroyed their own economies so America could wage a proxy war on Russia. They've got no where to run

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how many folks in this thread actually bought mr.president

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I was thinking about it for a day, not to play it, but as a novelty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I was thinking about it for a day, not to play it, but as a novelty.

It has a nice 'curio of the late imperium' vibe to it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I did, but I have not had the time to punch out all the chits figure out the best way to organize those chits and read the rule books

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

It has a nice 'curio of the late imperium' vibe to it

Don't torture me like that.

I would play the hell out of a game where you play St. Ambrose of Milan or any other late Imperial bishop or administrator, just trying to keep things going.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Don't torture me like that.

I would play the hell out of a game where you play St. Ambrose of Milan or any other late Imperial bishop or administrator, just trying to keep things going.

ooh yeah this would be good

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

The French independent nuclear arsenal was actually genius (for France)

the basic idea was that if France launches nukes at the USSR the Soviets will retaliate vs Europe and thus force the US/UK to nuke the USSR

so basically by having a fairly small number of nukes it's like they put their hands on the trigger of all the NATO nukes

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

i don’t currently have a table large enough to play it yet but I ordered it and punched out all the counters and sorted them into little baggies

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

inferis posted:

i don’t currently have a table large enough to play it yet but I ordered it and punched out all the counters and sorted them into little baggies

How did you sort them? Cause theres so many I've been hesitant to actually punch mine yet.

I was thinking to the Eastern Bloc have a war gaming hobby like the West did? People moving little chits around a paper Austerlitz in Karl Marxsdadt, or reliving Kursk in an apartment in Moscow? Just thinking about how much influce literal Nazis had on the hobby in the West made me wonder if there was an alternate scene in the East. Though I guess that does applynto today, is there a wargaming scene in China?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

KomradeX posted:

How did you sort them? Cause theres so many I've been hesitant to actually punch mine yet.

I bought a multipack of different sized baggies and I basically went through the counter manifest on pages 11-15 of the “Presidential Briefing, Examples of Play, and Designer Notes” handbook, and tried to group them logically based on where and when in the turn they would be used. here’s the groupings I ended up with

there’s probably room for improvement but I’m happy with it for now, I read through just about all the manuals especially turn sequence book before I sorted them too.

oh and it all fits in the box with the lid closing all the way too

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

inferis posted:

I bought a multipack of different sized baggies and I basically went through the counter manifest on pages 11-15 of the “Presidential Briefing, Examples of Play, and Designer Notes” handbook, and tried to group them logically based on where and when in the turn they would be used. here’s the groupings I ended up with

there’s probably room for improvement but I’m happy with it for now, I read through just about all the manuals especially turn sequence book before I sorted them too.

oh and it all fits in the box with the lid closing all the way too

That's good I was worried it wouldn't since I just sorted fields of fire 2 into two separate counter trays and now it Rushton close all the war. So maybe i'll try punching it this Sunday

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

reading up on black powder skirmish games and note one system has indian mutineers with a "big choppers" special rule (representing heavy melee weapons). Not sure if Warhammer got the term there or they were stealing from warhammer

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i went for this on p500
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1011-next-war-iran.aspx

GMT Games posted:

The Middle East has long been a hobgoblin for foreign powers and, as much as Afghanistan, also a graveyard of empires. Sitting squarely astride ancient trade routes and with the added impetus of the world's addiction to oil, the area has been a hot spot for centuries.

Now, with the old regime teetering and losing its grip, Iran makes a bid for forcing the West to recognize its complete sovereignty and control over its own affairs by striking at the one thing they care about : the flow of oil. Mining the Straits of Hormuz and declaring it closed to all traffic, Iran defies the world. The US, and perhaps some of its allies, takes action to re-open the straits and get the black gold flowing to the world again.

which does sound fun but i notice a certian US ally is missing lol

GMT Games posted:

The Iranian armed forces feature all three branches of land forces: Islamic Republic of Iran Ground Forces, Islamic Republic of Iran Navy, and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps; they might get some Russian intervention for whatever that's worth. On the Allied side, the primary forces are the United States with potential involvement by the UK, Australia, France, Saudi Arabia, Oman, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Iran ftw