Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pepperidge Farm Remembers

BULBASAUR posted:

when am I getting my giant golden tower back?

also lowtax did the right thing banning all the hill toxxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

*single rocket launcher minelaying barrage undoes a decade of demining work* welp thats my exit

*throws down my cowboy demining hat, starts stomping on it*

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Dixon Chisholm posted:

*throws down my cowboy demining hat, starts stomping on it*

::hat explodes::

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't understand what happened, where should I read the happening?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Huh I wonder where all the men are? (unmarked press gang van drives past)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
why passports?

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1684866383832576000?s=20

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
no war but tlump war

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

is this trump thread now

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

How is it mid 2023 and there's still like 5 people mad about the Trump thread in qcs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zerg Mans posted:

How is it mid 2023 and there's still like 5 people mad about the Trump thread in qcs

Obsessive compulsive.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Zerg Mans posted:

it's a real mystery zegermans

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Bearjew posted:

is this trump thread now

antying is possible if you believe

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

aw frig aw dang it posted:

it's a real mystery zegermans

as the fascists take control of collapsing western governments you could either clutch pearls or tell them to keep digging until they find their dead son, one is a lot funnier at least

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is it citizenship conferred to the children of non-citizen volunteers?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

tristeham posted:

lol its a gangtag now

these guys are pretty annoying to fight, but f you clear storm eagle's stage first the tornado shot rips them apart

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

Is it citizenship conferred to the children of non-citizen volunteers?

Up and coming conscripts, now.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1684815959477850112

Olga Kharlan, a four-time Olympic fencing medalist, was disqualified from the World Fencing Championships in Milan on Thursday after refusing to shake hands with her Russian opponent.

After Ms. Kharlan defeated Anna Smirnova, a Russian competitor who had joined the competition with a neutral status, Ms. Smirnova extended her hand to Ms. Kharlan, who extended her saber instead. According to the sport’s rules, a fencing bout does not end until the two fencers have saluted each other and shaken hands, and the referee can penalize those who do not comply.

The Ukrainian Fencing Federation said on Thursday that Ms. Kharlan had “convincingly” won and would appeal the disqualification.

Several Ukrainian political officials condemned the disqualification, tying it directly to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“Anna Smirnova lost the fair competition and decided to play dirty with the handshake show,” Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s foreign minister, said on Twitter, adding that Ms. Smirnova’s conduct was exactly how the “Russian army acts on the battlefield.”

Ruslan Stefanchuk, the Ukrainian Speaker of Parliament, praised Ms. Kharlan on the Telegram messaging app, writing that not shaking hands “is a sophisticated form of just ignoring terrorists with no name, no honour, no flag under which they compete.”

Ms. Kharlan, 32, is among the world’s top fencers, having won a gold medal in the team saber competition at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. Since then, she also has two bronze medals and a silver in Olympic competition.

Russia and Belarus were not invited by the International Olympic Committee to compete as nations in next year’s Summer Olympics in Paris. But it is possible that fencers from both countries will be able to participate as neutral athletes, without their national flags or anthems, so long as they meet certain requirements, such as not having shown public support for the invasion.

With war as a backdrop, drama in the sport has been playing out in the United States and elsewhere this summer. Three fencers who left Russia and denounced the invasion competed as neutral athletes at the United States summer championships earlier this month in Phoenix. This departure was so embarrassing to the Russians that it led to the firing of the country’s top épée coach.

On Wednesday, Igor Reizlin, a Ukrainian fencer, withdrew from his competition against a Russian opponent at the world championships in Milan.

One former top Russian fencer expressed his sympathy for Ms. Kharlan on Thursday. Konstantin Lokhanov, who participated for Russia in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and now lives in San Diego, said in an interview that he thought the disqualification of Ms. Kharlan might have been a trap set by her Russian opponent. Unless overturned, the disqualification in the individual saber competition also could prevent Ms. Kharlan from competing in the team fencing competition at the world championships.

On the one hand, the International Fencing Federation had little choice but to adhere to its rules about shaking hands, said Mr. Lokhanov, who is the former husband of a Russian Olympic fencing champion and the former son-in-law of the president of the Russian Olympic Committee. On the other hand, Mr. Lokhanov said, the tapping of blades was the accepted acknowledgment of an opponent during the pandemic and is still considered suitable by many fencers.

“I support Olga,” he said. “In my opinion she made the right decision. I understand why she made it. But I don’t see any reason why this Russian woman had to make that drama. She could have just touched blades; the bout was over.”

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jul 29, 2023

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

the Russians are weaponizing handshakes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

One weird trick for russians to win every sporting event against ukranians

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Even back in pewee league soccer we knew that you could shake hands while telling each other to eat a dick.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
smh. Pathetic Russian athletes agreeing to compete after being stripped of their national identity. The glorious Soviet Union athletes would boycott the Olympics during a hamburger promotion!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

Olga Kharlan, a four-time Olympic fencing medalist, was disqualified from the World Fencing Championships in Milan on Thursday after refusing to shake hands with her Russian opponent.

After Ms. Kharlan defeated Anna Smirnova, a Russian competitor who had joined the competition with a neutral status, Ms. Smirnova extended her hand to Ms. Kharlan, who extended her saber instead. According to the sport’s rules, a fencing bout does not end until the two fencers have saluted each other and shaken hands, and the referee can penalize those who do not comply.

The Ukrainian Fencing Federation said on Thursday that Ms. Kharlan had “convincingly” won and would appeal the disqualification.

Several Ukrainian political officials condemned the disqualification, tying it directly to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“Anna Smirnova lost the fair competition and decided to play dirty with the handshake show,” Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s foreign minister, said on Twitter, adding that Ms. Smirnova’s conduct was exactly how the “Russian army acts on the battlefield.”

Ruslan Stefanchuk, the Ukrainian Speaker of Parliament, praised Ms. Kharlan on the Telegram messaging app, writing that not shaking hands “is a sophisticated form of just ignoring terrorists with no name, no honour, no flag under which they compete.”

Ms. Kharlan, 32, is among the world’s top fencers, having won a gold medal in the team saber competition at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. Since then, she also has two bronze medals and a silver in Olympic competition.

Russia and Belarus were not invited by the International Olympic Committee to compete as nations in next year’s Summer Olympics in Paris. But it is possible that fencers from both countries will be able to participate as neutral athletes, without their national flags or anthems, so long as they meet certain requirements, such as not having shown public support for the invasion.

With war as a backdrop, drama in the sport has been playing out in the United States and elsewhere this summer. Three fencers who left Russia and denounced the invasion competed as neutral athletes at the United States summer championships earlier this month in Phoenix. This departure was so embarrassing to the Russians that it led to the firing of the country’s top épée coach.

On Wednesday, Igor Reizlin, a Ukrainian fencer, withdrew from his competition against a Russian opponent at the world championships in Milan.

One former top Russian fencer expressed his sympathy for Ms. Kharlan on Thursday. Konstantin Lokhanov, who participated for Russia in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and now lives in San Diego, said in an interview that he thought the disqualification of Ms. Kharlan might have been a trap set by her Russian opponent. Unless overturned, the disqualification in the individual saber competition also could prevent Ms. Kharlan from competing in the team fencing competition at the world championships.

On the one hand, the International Fencing Federation had little choice but to adhere to its rules about shaking hands, said Mr. Lokhanov, who is the former husband of a Russian Olympic fencing champion and the former son-in-law of the president of the Russian Olympic Committee. On the other hand, Mr. Lokhanov said, the tapping of blades was the accepted acknowledgment of an opponent during the pandemic and is still considered suitable by many fencers.

“I support Olga,” he said. “In my opinion she made the right decision. I understand why she made it. But I don’t see any reason why this Russian woman had to make that drama. She could have just touched blades; the bout was over.”

oh my loving god lmao

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

nomad2020 posted:

Even back in pewee league soccer we knew that you could shake hands while telling each other to eat a dick.

"good game, good game, gently caress you, good game, good game"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

when am I getting my giant golden tower back?

also lowtax did the right thing banning all the hill toxxes

that qcs thread was funny as hell i dont think anyone actually defended the idea of toxx immunity to the point that lowtax was confused what the argument for it was even supposed to be

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
wtf why does the X on the twitter embed not close it? some bullshit to trick me into clicking!

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
well if Brother Bernard thinks the Ukraine war needs more money and less oversight, I’m convinced

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Up and coming conscripts, now.

If they can hold a rifle without toppling over from the weight they're old enough for the trenches.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

Новые изображения захваченного французского колесного танка AMX-10RCR нашими военными.

На одной из фотографий мы видим погрузку на седельный тягач КамАЗ-65225 (6х6) для отправки в тыл.

Фото: @voin_dv

Военный Осведомитель
(from t.me/milinfolive/104260, via tgsa)

AMX-10 for Kubinka confirmed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ukriane may as well act like a crying child while they can. After all we don't know how many more olympic anythings there will be before their athletes will have to compete under a new flag.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

AMX-10 for Kubinka confirmed.

this will do a very good job at intercepting lancets

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer
e: woops wrong thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qurnah has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Jul 29, 2023

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ah yes, that most nefarious tactic of the underhanded cheat: Being a good sport.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Qurnah posted:

lmao

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Officer Sandvich posted:

The general question of who is winning is Ukraine. They are extremely unlikely to lose self governance and become a client state of Russia. They have had major victories at Kyiv, Kherson, and Kharkiv. That said, the war is still being inflicted and fought on their country, to great loss of lives and resources. Cities are being leveled and Russia is stealing everything it can. Grain, oil, washing machines, children.

Oryx and Ukraine reports of Russian casualties (wounded and killed) seems to be in the right ballpark. And the general consensus is that Ukraine is losing less people than Russia. Of course, Russian leadership cares less about its people than most other countries. But there are consistent signs Russia is having trouble putting bodies on the front lines. They are always scrounging up more troops, and there are big hints that they lack reserves. Not being able to rotate and rest troops, not being able to add recruits to damaged units, and not being able to rush fresh soldiers to enemy breakthroughs are all huge problems.

That said... Russia largely just has to keep holding on to 'win'. Nobody really wins a war. It's a stupid sick waste and a horror. They failed at their initial goal , but still have a lot of Ukraine territory the elites consider important. Staying defensive plays to Russian strengths. The West can't supply Ukraine forever. It's almost certainly not a good idea for Ukraine to surrender places like Crimea, especially since Russia has a tendency to take parts of other countries and keep them as long as possible. There is a coalition against Russia currently, even if the support of Ukraine could have been faster and more effective. But politics can and do change.

So my money is on Ukraine. Russia has proven unable to make significant advances, while Ukraine has the bulk of the victories. The momentum and control of the battlefield, the logistics and morale all point to Ukraine. I just hope they can win the war instead of winning most of the battles but still losing the overall war.

Thank you. It's always good to find a fellow staunch pro-Ukrainian perspective in this pit of hiveminded tankieism (Al-Saqr excepted). I hope you will vouch for my bonafides as a non-tankie when I share good news for Ukraine with GiP.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Qurnah posted:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Qurnah posted:

lmfao

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The funniest scenario would be if Smirnova's reasoning was "her homeland is going through so much, and yet she has the courage and dedication to perform. Covid be damned, she deserves the full ritual"

And then Kharlan DQed herself in the pettiest display possible. Smirnova is already playing without any symbols of her nation, without representing her nation, and as the article notes without any history of supporting the invasion. Just having Russian blood.

Hitler particles man

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DancingShade posted:

Ukriane may as well act like a crying child while they can. After all we don't know how many more olympic anythings there will be before their athletes will have to compete under a new flag.

The whining and bitching and the harassment of Russian athletes is truly pathetic and it's a reflection of how chicken poo poo many of these sporting authorities are that they allow this to completely overrun their events. I don't know if it's ever going to stop either because if these organizations are so cowardly that they allow these external politically motivated people power over their events how are they ever going to pull that power back?

they tried to pull this act with the NHL.. crying out how Russian players should be suspended, not allowed to cross the border into Canada, the fans should protest the games.. there was a couple days where nobody was quite sure how the league was going to handle it, and then the strategy of just ignoring the freaks worked and they shut the hell up when they realized that nobody (fans, other players, advertisers, etc) gave a poo poo about Russian players competing in a NA professional sports league. And this was probably the one instance of a professional sports league operating outside of Russia where many of the most prominent players in the league are Russian and some of those very prominent players have had questionable histories of lending their celebrity to Putin and actively campaigning for the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

The funniest scenario would be if Smirnova's reasoning was "her homeland is going through so much, and yet she has the courage and dedication to perform. Covid be damned, she deserves the full ritual"

And then Kharlan DQed herself in the pettiest display possible. Smirnova is already playing without any symbols of her nation, without representing her nation, and as the article notes without any history of supporting the invasion. Just having Russian blood.

Hitler particles man

I think actual hitler, when he ran the olympics, did allow people to compete representing their nation of origin too.

So yeah, worse than hitler (in a sports organisation).