Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I like the totally made-up quotes in the beginning.

(They're not all fictional.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mdemone posted:

Rereading is easy mode because you can skim over some of the whaling material you've read five times already

Why would I do that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heath posted:

Why would I do that

It's true, the scene with the barrel of sperm is unforgettable

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I tend to reread the entirely made up whale biology chapters more than the plot chapters. I think they're a lot more fun.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I read Blood Meridian a few years back and enjoyed it so much that when I found out it was McCarthy's response to Moby Dick, I started working my way through it and yeah, I'm finding the random whaling information chapters way more interesting than the actual story chapters. I actually think they work in a modern internet reading way in that they are akin to doing a deep wiki-dive on some fandom page where the editors are so deep in on the subject matter that they've sort of lost their minds. Instead of some insane Silent Hill wiki editor writing a treatise on why Pyramid Head is a living symbolization of male circumcision, you have Ishmael making poo poo up about some species of whale he's never seen. I got to the chapter on whaling rope that I've seen people bring up before as an example as pointless minutiae about whaling and found it was one of my favorite chapters.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

*thinking very hard* herman melville is like a wiki editor

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I read Blood Meridian a few years back and enjoyed it so much that when I found out it was McCarthy's response to Moby Dick, I started working my way through it and yeah, I'm finding the random whaling information chapters way more interesting than the actual story chapters. I actually think they work in a modern internet reading way in that they are akin to doing a deep wiki-dive on some fandom page where the editors are so deep in on the subject matter that they've sort of lost their minds. Instead of some insane Silent Hill wiki editor writing a treatise on why Pyramid Head is a living symbolization of male circumcision, you have Ishmael making poo poo up about some species of whale he's never seen. I got to the chapter on whaling rope that I've seen people bring up before as an example as pointless minutiae about whaling and found it was one of my favorite chapters.

That part about the whaling rope actually has plot relevance, so keep it in the back of your mind for later.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm sort of at a loss for how Moby-Dick has any relevance to Blood Meridian at all, unless the Judge represents the drive that had taken over Ahab I suppose?

I'd love for this idea to be developed a little more

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Bilirubin posted:

I'm sort of at a loss for how Moby-Dick has any relevance to Blood Meridian at all, unless the Judge represents the drive that had taken over Ahab I suppose?

ishmael is there to be a witness and observer of events of a biblical or apocalyptic character. the kid is explicitly mentioned to have a similar role, but, in keeping with mccarthy's particular weltanschauung, the judge does not even give the kid the dignity of a "and I only am escaped alone to tell thee." instead, he is disposed of in the jakes once his ishamelian role is done

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

I couldn't tell you any thematic stuff, but there are definitely a lot of little similarities in the details that I've seen. The one that stuck out the most to me so far is the Pequod as a whale-hunting vessel being adorned with the dead parts of whales almost as some sort of perverted whale-cannibal in contrast to Glanton gang as the vessel carrying the kid being similarly decked out in human body parts as human-devouring vehicle.

Herman Melville posted:

(The Pequod) was a thing of trophies. A cannibal of a craft, tricking herself forth in the chased bones of her enemies. All round, her unpanelled, open bulwarks were garnished like one continuous jaw, with the long sharp teeth of the sperm whale, inserted there for pins, to to fasten her old hempen thews and tendons to.

Cormac McCarthy posted:

...and the trappings of their horses fashioned out of human skin and their bridles woven up from human hair and decorated with human teeth and the riders wearing scapulars or necklace of dried and blackened human ears and the horses rawlooking and wild in the eye and their teeth barred like feral dogs...the whole like a visitation from some heathen land where they and the others like them fed on human flesh.

I think there is also a similarity in the grotesque scenes of gore in Moby Dick just inserted blandly and matter-of-factly in parts that reminded me of of the outbursts of violence in Blood Meridian. There definitely seems to be some underlying current of whale being devoured by whale in Moby Dick that I'm sure can be linked to the humans devouring humans themes in Blood Meridian, but I haven't put enough thought into it yet to put down anything meaningful.

edit: I think there's something interesting as Glanton as Ahab in that he's not chasing his white whale. He has his white whale. He's riding with him the entire story and the Judge still leads him to an end of utter destruction. Glanton stabbed through the pasteboard mask and what he saw completely hollowed him out.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 20, 2023

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I really liked this article about McCarthy's work and its connection to the ambitions in the text of Moby Dick, written after his death.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

thanks all, much to think about!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
A few more:

The Mennonite near the start of BM echoes Elijah in Moby dick

The whale and the judge are big white beings and each book declines to make them tidily symbolic of one thing in particular

Ahab: “Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me”
Glanton: “be his charter written in the urstone itself he claimed agency and said so and he’d drive the remorseless sun on to its final endarkenment as if he’d ordered it all ages since”

More generally, BM is kind of a gorgeous mystery to me on many levels, but I guess each book is about a motley gang of Americans rampaging across a vast landscape and despoiling it/slaughtering its inhabitants for profit. BM I guess is about violent struggle as the core of human existence, and ahab in Moby dick taking a defiantly ego-driven and antagonistic stance to the universe, being dumb and self-centred enough to look upon the natural world as a contest of wills with you on one side and all created things on the other

Lobster Henry fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 20, 2023

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I think there is a pretty good juxtaposition of the setting of the books too. In Moby Dick I think the boundary between the surface the characters travel and the ocean depths below is a dividing line between the unknowable mysteries or the human mind and the universe itself which the characters are enamored by but can never cross to find the truth. In Blood Meridian the ocean has been transformed to a vast desert. It's a two-dimensional space blasted by the light of the sun for everyone to see. It's the human psyche laid flat and bare to see, brutal and violent with no depth to explore. The universe is cruel and there is no mystery about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are you saying that The Ocean is a Desert with its Life Underground? Is America's incredibly annoying hit song the key to understanding the Blood Meridian Moby Dick connection?

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I think there is a pretty good juxtaposition of the setting of the books too. In Moby Dick I think the boundary between the surface the characters travel and the ocean depths below is a dividing line between the unknowable mysteries or the human mind and the universe itself which the characters are enamored by but can never cross to find the truth. In Blood Meridian the ocean has been transformed to a vast desert. It's a two-dimensional space blasted by the light of the sun for everyone to see. It's the human psyche laid flat and bare to see, brutal and violent with no depth to explore. The universe is cruel and there is no mystery about it.

Ooh I like this reading a lot. It ties in nicely with what I think is the big point of divergence between the two books: the garrulous, slightly mysterious, highly charming and personable style of Ishmael, full of depths and opinions and individuality; versus the brutal blank slate of the kid. The only sliver of interiority he gets is awkwardly imposed on him from outside - the judge’s line at the end about the clemency in his heart. All that connects well with Tree Goat’s post too.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Lobster Henry posted:

Ooh I like this reading a lot. It ties in nicely with what I think is the big point of divergence between the two books: the garrulous, slightly mysterious, highly charming and personable style of Ishmael, full of depths and opinions and individuality; versus the brutal blank slate of the kid. The only sliver of interiority he gets is awkwardly imposed on him from outside - the judge’s line at the end about the clemency in his heart. All that connects well with Tree Goat’s post too.

Yeah, I think this is what McCarthy was going for with the kid and he lays it out in the first sentence of the book.

Herman Melville posted:

Call me Ishmael.

vs.

Cormack McCarthy posted:

See the child.

I'm kind of curious if any of the Glanton gang members are analogs to the crew of the Pequod in any way because I really haven't been thinking of it much until now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Toadvine as Queequeg?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

rectifying a few of my shameful omissions one book at a time, this time by finally starting madame bovary

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

rectifying a few of my shameful omissions one book at a time, this time by finally starting madame bovary

It's very good but I like that sort of thing (like Balzac and Сенчин, maybe Great Expectations too).

e: I think Flaubert is a much better writer than Balzac. Certainly better than Dickens but who isn't.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 28, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bounced on Bovary after half a chapter or so for some reason, but Temptation of St. Anthony and Sentimental Education are both excellent. He's a much better than Balzac, but I do love that energy that Balzac and Stendhal have, where you can just feel the manic pace they're writing at with little or no outlining or planning.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
continuing to read verse novels

reading Robert Browning's The Ring and The Book (which is good and you can see why it revived his reputation). Prefigures a lot of true crime "look at this gnarly crime I discovered" stuff, including I went there and walked in the tracks of the victim.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I read De ansatte (The Employees) by Olga Ravn this week, I had noted it before but was reminded of it by way of Termush (thx Volcano!)

A strange, short novel told entirely through anonymous employee interviews. Hard to describe. Scifi in the Atwood sense? Poetic, and existential? What it means to be human, and an "employee". Recommended, though

Apparently there's an English translation out that was shortlisted for the booker prize if that means anything

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Carthag Tuek posted:

I read De ansatte (The Employees) by Olga Ravn this week, I had noted it before but was reminded of it by way of Termush (thx Volcano!)

A strange, short novel told entirely through anonymous employee interviews. Hard to describe. Scifi in the Atwood sense? Poetic, and existential? What it means to be human, and an "employee". Recommended, though

Apparently there's an English translation out that was shortlisted for the booker prize if that means anything

Aha, this has been on my list to read but I haven't gotten it yet. It definitely sounds interesting though so good to hear good things about it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Volcano posted:

Aha, this has been on my list to read but I haven't gotten it yet. It definitely sounds interesting though so good to hear good things about it

nb: termush & employees dont really have a lot in common other than being danish "sf"

anyway i figured what the hell, checked what danish librarians rec in that genre & got these two as well. havent read them yet so i cant vouch for them but they sound pretty trashy lol
Publius Enigma - Exnihilo.epub
Peter Dreyer - Glitch.epub

but i did like the employees, it stays with me like an egg in my mouth.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

adding this to my to-read list

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I bounced on Bovary after half a chapter or so for some reason, but Temptation of St. Anthony and Sentimental Education are both excellent. He's a much better than Balzac, but I do love that energy that Balzac and Stendhal have, where you can just feel the manic pace they're writing at with little or no outlining or planning.

This is funny because Balzac apparently rly disliked that about Stendhal

"Page 74-5 of Lukács "Studies in European realism" posted:

But although Balzac greatly appreciates Stendhal's capacity for characterizing his figures succinctly and yet profoundly by the words he puts in their mouths, he yet expresses considerable dissatisfaction with the style of his novel. He quotes a number of lapses of style and even grammar. But his criticism goes further than this. He demands that Stendhal should subject his novel to very extensive editing, and argues that Chateaubriand and De Maistre often rewrote some of their works. He concludes with the hope that Stendhal's novel, thus rewritten, "would be enriched by that ineffable beauty with which Chateaubriand and De Maistre endowed their favorite books."

Stendhal's every artistic instinct and conviction revolted against this conception of style. He readily admitted slovenliness of style. Many pages of the novel were dictated and sent to the publisher without revision. "I say what children say: 'I won't do it again'." But his acquiescence in the criticism of his style is almost entirely limited to this one point. He heartily despises the models quoted by Balzac. He writes: "Never, not even in 1802 . . . could I read even twenty pages of Chateaubriand . . . I find M. De Maistre unbearable. The reason why I write badly is probably that I am too fond of logic."

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

fez_machine posted:

continuing to read verse novels

reading Robert Browning's The Ring and The Book (which is good and you can see why it revived his reputation). Prefigures a lot of true crime "look at this gnarly crime I discovered" stuff, including I went there and walked in the tracks of the victim.

I've always found browning's dramatic monologues insufferably annoying but i'm intrigued about how he does a verse novel tbf. You read barrett browning's aurora leigh?

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Jrbg posted:

I've always found browning's dramatic monologues insufferably annoying but i'm intrigued about how he does a verse novel tbf. You read barrett browning's aurora leigh?

That reads to me like "I've always found Shakespeare insufferably annoying" but you do you. You won't like The Ring and the Book, it's a novel-length series of dramatic monologues. I think it's one of the most delightful books in the English language

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Carthag Tuek posted:

I enjoyed the Employees more than I expected halfway through. I liked how the initial SCP-like atmosphere takes a turn for melancholy. Reminded me of the new Ishiguro a bit, but Ravn's book is better (although not as good as Never Let Me Go, which touches on similar themes)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Currently reading Piglia's Target in the Night. I always enjoy the obsession of a lot of Lat-Am authors of the seedy side of life, looking forward to seeing what Piglia brings to the table

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Browning’s dramatic monologues rule, shout-out to “caliban upon setebos” and the under-appreciated “mr sludge, the medium”

I’ve had the ring and the book open in my tabs for like two months, maybe this is the spur I need to finally get to it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Read some more "Birotteau" last night, having neglected the book for IDK many many months. Immediately remembered why: So. Many. Names. And they're all French!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm thinking I want to read Master and Margarita for the first time but I don't want too much of it to go over my head. Is there something I can look to as a supplemental reference as I go through chapters?

When I read The Idiot for the first time I would stop and go online to dig into certain parts but avoiding spoilers and poorly-written comments was a pain.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
MaM likely won't go over your head. It's been a while since I've read it but I went in knowing nothing and I didn't feel like I was missing much

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
In that case I'll go ahead and start it later today.

I'm finishing a collection of short stories by Akiyuki Nosaka and I'm noticing a trend of "uh oh this story only has 2-3 more sentences."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A decent knowledge of the Bible and of that period of Soviet politics should serve you well in understanding how Bulgakov is flip flopping the Judea scenes and the Russia scenes. Otherwise I don't think you need nothing else.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Gaius Marius posted:

A decent knowledge of the Bible and of that period of Soviet politics should serve you well in understanding how Bulgakov is flip flopping the Judea scenes and the Russia scenes. Otherwise I don't think you need nothing else.

Ok great, I should fare decently then. As for translators, I have a used Burgin and O'Connor copy I picked up for a song and the internet seems to like them well enough. Anyone wanna jump in and tell me P+V would be better for any reason before I start?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
We don't read p+v round these parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

P & V!?!

...Get a rope.