Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I eat ibups and chase it with whiskey and I feel great all day every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Grassy Knowles posted:

You know alcohol and NSAIDS work together in some really fun(damaging) ways?

I mean...definitely don't down a bunch of alcohol and NSAIDS, but alcohol and Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol is much, MUCH worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Torquemada posted:

Naproxen Sodium (Alleve) is almost unknown here, unless prescribed or recommended by a pharmacist for period pain.

That poo poo works the best of any OTC analgesic though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

problem?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
This is mostly a "man I suck at basic geography" but Korfu (the island on fire rear end-to-mouth) is right next to Albania. Like way closer than Greece.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is mostly a "man I suck at basic geography" but Korfu (the island on fire rear end-to-mouth) is right next to Albania. Like way closer than Greece.

This was new information to me as well! 3km is the narrowest point between them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(the island on fire rear end-to-mouth)

"atm", huh?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The phrase "bucket list" derives from the title of the 2007 film The Bucket List, not the other way round

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

rollick posted:

The phrase "bucket list" derives from the title of the 2007 film The Bucket List, not the other way round

:aaaaa:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rollick posted:

Apparently the screenwriter wrote up a list of things to do "Before I Kick the Bucket” which he eventually shortened to "My Bucket List" and #1 on his list was to have a screenplay produced at a major Hollywood studio, and he eventually realised that the idea of a "bucket list" was a great hook for a script.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bucket list?? Like... you write down all the names of flowers you want at your funeral??

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bucket list?? Like... you write down all the names of flowers you want at your funeral??

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

If the phrase " kick the bucket " has its origins in the late 18th century, “bucket list” is much more recent. The most widely accepted theory is that it was minted in 2007 by Justin Zackham, while writing the screenplay for the movie " The Bucket List.

Thought the title was a common phrase, felt like one. Why didn't anyone else think of this?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MariusLecter posted:

Thought the title was a common phrase, felt like one. Why didn't anyone else think of this?

That's pretty much how everyone reacted in 2007 when they heard the phrase for the first time. :v:

The concept of "life goals" or a "dream list" existed before that but "bucket list" is just a better phrase

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I guess in Finnish it would be a spoon list, diocese list, cold fart list, crank list, or [] as we either throw [the/a] spoon into the corner, change dioceses, let out a cold fart, throw our crank, or kick emptiness, instead of kicking the bucket.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Jul 28, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Plz stop kicking buckets, everyone

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

Plz stop kicking buckets, everyone

gently caress those buckets up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiEag_ZH2AY

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I guess in Finnish it would be a spoon list, diocese list, cold fart list, crank list, or empty list as we either throw [the/a] spoon into the corner, change dioceses, let out a cold fart, throw our crank, or kick emptiness, instead of kicking the bucket.

Well of course. Buckets are gods in this country. Disrespect them at your own peril.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just realised that the term "brain fart" implies that a functional, effective thought is a "brain poo poo".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Creature posted:

Well of course. Buckets are gods in this country. Disrespect them at your own peril.

I have a bucket with Juha Mieto's signature on it. It used to contain apples, which he sold by the bucketful (obviously) on K-Market Ukko-Pekka's parking lot.

e: I think it used to be a K-Supermarket back then.

ee: Oh it still is a K-Supermarket Ukko-Pekka. K-Market Ukko-Pekka is in Hyvinkää for some reason?

eee: Anyway here's a picture of s/s Ukko-Pekka, the only steam ship in regular use in Finland these days, sailing under Ukko-Pekka bridge.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Jul 28, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
At work today me and the other staff realized that the "raspberry jam" we have been supplied with contains 0% raspberries and in fact contains no berries of any sort, instead the listed ingredients were apples, sugar, food coloring, tartaric acid, citric acid and synthetic raspberry flavoring, we all took turns tasting it and all agreed that it tasted and even looked more like apples than anything else.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That is part of a long-standing tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7HChCYUeRM

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

I've just realised that the term "brain fart" implies that a functional, effective thought is a "brain poo poo".

hang on, do you think the opposite of a fart is a poo poo? or is this that the brain fart is a precursor to a normal thought?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A brain fart is a failed thought. Like, you tried to squeeze one out and you got nothing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Here I sit broken hearted
Tried to mind poo poo but only farted

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A brain fart is the wind coming out of your ears when your brain catches fire trying to invent a brain poo poo.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Hyperlynx posted:

I think the idea is that farts are a misfunctioning of the digestive system like a car backfiring not that they are failed shits.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Really, brain farts should be called brain constipation. Gotta ingest more facts, aka brain fiber, and it'll be able to poop them out more easily.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think the idea is that farts are a misfunctioning of the digestive system like a car backfiring not that they are failed shits.
No, no, making GBS threads fartless is the malfunction if anything.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The guy on the screen is shot as if he's in the same room, rather than on a screen.

Screens do not work that way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It looks cooler.

Also maybe future screens are 3D.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also maybe future screens are 3D.

This would be a simple assumption since, as we know from Star Trek: Discovery, the Federation had access to full holographic communication technology a full century earlier

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Captain Splendid posted:

The guy on the screen is shot as if he's in the same room, rather than on a screen.

I think that was possibly intentional, a futuristic 3D thingie... Though I'm sure ultimately the real answer is just that at the time, it was genuinely more expensive to make a screen that big (or artificially add perspective to the footage) than to greenscreen it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
They shot the guy in a different room, it was definitely intentional. He was face on in the preceding shot.

I guess it's just a thing I just realized :buddy:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Honestly, a forward facing shot would probably just look too distracting anyway if they wanted to go for more dynamic camera positions like that rather than sticking in front of the viewscreen, even if they weren't concerned at all with the in-universe technology side.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Pneumonia' literally just means 'lung disease', the etymology is 'pneumon' (lung) + 'ia' (denoting a disease, in this instance).

That pattern doesn't follow across similar words though, 'anemia' means 'an' (without) + 'haima' (blood) and 'malaria' means 'mal' (bad) + 'aria' (air) because they originally thought the condition was caused by miasma, ie: unwholesome air.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

Here I sit broken hearted
Tried to mind poo poo but only farted

Actually, this is exactly what made me think of it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Splendid posted:

Agghh. A while back I noticed that countless comic artists do this, and now it can never be un-seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

"Bukkake" is as neutral as "splash" or "splatter" in Japanese. The first time I heard it in conversation was with an old dude talking about some heavy rain the night before.

Also bukkake udon is the superior udon. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.