Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I appreciated this infographic from The Guardian online today, which tries to summarise some of the key upcoming trial dates (although it doesn't even include the prospective Georgia trial)

Crazy that I'd forgotten about like two of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Inferior Third Season posted:

At least 50% of Republicans, and 25% of the total population, are willing to say stupid poo poo they don't actually believe to a pollster.

It's the difference between a statement of beliefs and a statement of values. You don't say what you literally believe to be fact, you say what would need to be true to justify what you're going to do next.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I just want to say that long derails usually annoy me the same as anyone else, but I rather enjoyed learning a bit more about Jewish theology so it was a net positive and I’m glad no one ate a probe for it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Take the time to read metroadlib's rising disbelief as she reads the superseding indictment in real-time yesterday.

https://twitter.com/metroadlib/status/1684693956414640129

Note esp:
https://twitter.com/metroadlib/status/1684729058993545216
https://twitter.com/metroadlib/status/1684729060318937088
https://twitter.com/metroadlib/status/1684729817361448960

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
She has the best summaries. C read, would be an A+ read if it wasn't on pedo guy's site.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

CNN posted:

A day after he was named as a co-defendant in the criminal case against Donald Trump for mishandling classified documents, a picture is starting to emerge of Carlos De Oliveira, the little known Mar-a-Lago employee who is accused of trying to delete security camera footage at Trump’s Florida resort after the Justice Department issued a subpoena for it last year.

A number of people close to Trump, as well as people who know De Oliveira personally, describe him as someone outside of the former president’s inner circle who has been caught up in Trump’s legal problems. Unlike Walt Nauta, Trump’s former White House aide and valet who is also charged in the documents case, De Oliveira is not someone who is known by Trump’s close confidants or, according to people who spoke to CNN, anyone who was typically in close proximity to the former president.

In conversations with eight current and former Trump aides and allies who frequently visited Mar-a-Lago, De Oliveira, who is listed as the “Property Manager” in the indictment, was described as a maintenance worker who did odd jobs around the property and who did not frequently interact with club members or Trump’s team.

De Oliveria was certainly not privy to internal deliberations or high-level conversations prior to the special counsel’s investigation, these people said.

“I’ve never heard of that person,” one former Trump aide who frequently traveled to Mar-a-lago with the former President told CNN when asked about De Oliveira. Those comments were echoed by other sources close to Trump who told CNN that prior to Thursday’s indictment, they had never heard of De Oliveira.

“I don’t know him, never met him, and hadn’t heard his name before this,” said a Trump ally who still frequently visits the resort.

According to the indictment, De Oliveira, has risen though the ranks at the Club, previously serving as a valet at Mar-a-Lago and later a maintenance worker, before being made a property manager of the club in January 2022.

One current Mar-a-Lago employee who spoke to CNN on the condition of anonymity indicated that De Oliveira is a known figure among those who work at Trump’s Florida resort. While this employee acknowledged they don’t know de Oliveira well, on a personal level, they did identify him as a property manager at Trump’s resort and noted he shares the former president’s interest in golf.

The 56-year-old De Oliveira lives in an apartment in a middle class townhome community in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, about 20 minutes north of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club. No one answered the door when CNN attempted to speak with De Oliveira on Friday.

According to people close to him, De Oliveira is a hard-working employee who came to the US from Portugal to seek a better life.

De Oliveira is scheduled to be arraigned in Miami on Monday and now must add a Florida-based attorney to his defense.

The indictment notes that, following the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago last August, questions were raised about De Oliveira’s loyalty among Trump’s orbit. According to the indictment, Trump called De Oliveira “and told De Oliveira that Trump would get De Oliveira an attorney.”

News of the charges against De Oliveria rattled those closest to him. Some members of his family, “couldn’t even sleep last night with all of this going on,” one family member told CNN.

This person also said that De Oliveria’s family was pretty certain that he did not realize the consequences of what Trump was telling him to do when he asked him to delete the security footage, and that given his lack of money, De Oliveria was probably just doing anything that Trump told him to do.

“He isn’t familiar with how the government here works and he was probably just being loyal to his boss who is paying his bills,” the person told CNN. “The family feels like he got trapped.”

Raymond Brion, De Oliveira’s neighbor for the last few years, described him as industrious and hardworking. Asked about the Trump indictment, Brion said, “I can’t even imagine how he could be implicated in that mess.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/28/politics/trump-maralago-indictment-carlos-de-oliveira/index.html

:stare:

There is truly no bottom to Trump, hopefully De Oliveria has the good sense to sing and sign quick.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ok so this camera here, it records evidence. We have to get rid of it. Jerry are you listening to me, Carlos De Oliveira? [points at self, gives front and side profile to camera] Yes this camera here, you have to destroy the evidence this camera collects. My, Carlos, boss, Donald Trump, demanded we destroy this evidence to protect him from being legally charged with the illegal things he did. Jerry do you need me to detail it more? Okay this could take a while okay take a seat right over here Jerry,

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Three Olives posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/28/politics/trump-maralago-indictment-carlos-de-oliveira/index.html

:stare:

There is truly no bottom to Trump, hopefully De Oliveria has the good sense to sing and sign quick.

The people quoted in that article are all likely aligned with trump and are trying to distance trump from De Oliveria's claims.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
These people taking Trumps lawyers have no hopes of getting out from under his wing.
They will all instruct him to do whats best for Trump instead if whats best for him.
But then, what choices does he have really, no real lawyer would ever want to be in this circling the drain situation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ryde posted:

She has the best summaries. C read, would be an A+ read if it wasn't on pedo guy's site.

Nitter for those who hate twitter X https://nitter.net/metroadlib/status/1684721801572593665#m

Am I the only one getting serious Pain and Gain vibes here? Like, they watched it and thought it was a perfect crime documentary or something?

Oracle fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 29, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m beginning to think the Coens did something to reality. Like they infected it.

It’s this great bumbling mess that somehow keeps shambling through more and more dumb crimes.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oracle posted:

Nitter for those who hate twitter X https://nitter.net/metroadlib/status/1684721801572593665#m

Am I the only one getting serious Pain and Gain vibes here? Like, they watched it and thought it was a perfect crime documentary or something?

mycrimes.txt would actually have been more subtle lol

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, what do you guys think Cannon will do?

https://twitter.com/petestrzok/status/1684712600188116992

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Here's the thing about them being stupid enough to be on all the cameras. If they did their jobs properly, it wouldn't have mattered, because all the footage would have been destroyed. But they horribly hosed up, so all their planning is caught on tape.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I don't know, what do you think they'll do?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oracle posted:

I didn’t know about this and read the article you linked. That was some wild poo poo and yeah, Trump and his fellow idiots are a great comparison.

As an aside, the movie Pain and Gain was on real late a few months ago and I switched over about halfway through and watched to the end. I had no idea it was based on a true story, holy poo poo.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know, what do you think they'll do?

I could see it going either way, so that's why I asked.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Charlz Guybon posted:

I could see it going either way, so that's why I asked.

I too can foresee the answer to a yes or no question being either yes or no.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Trump talking about classified documents he read would depend on his memory and reading comprehension. So, it's not like he could convey anything that's in the original docs.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I too can foresee the answer to a yes or no question being either yes or no.

Yeah, but I want to see where the thread consensus is on the issue.

Do most posters think she will rule in his favor, do most think she won't, or is the thread split?

This isn't a complicated or novel question.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Was it ever determined if a president can pardon themselves?

It's never come up or been decided. But if it ever is, i'm sure we'll find out the answer in a 6-3 decision

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m beginning to think the Coens did something to reality. Like they infected it.

It’s this great bumbling mess that somehow keeps shambling through more and more dumb crimes.

The Cubs winning the World Series in 2016 opened up a portal to an alternate reality.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Charlz Guybon posted:

Do most posters think she will rule in his favor, do most think she won't, or is the thread split?

i don't even know what the normal ruling would be on this tbh, "i need to be able to discuss these things with my lawyers" is a sane ask and "we would prefer you to not speak to your lawyers about nuclear secrets outside of a scif" is a sane response

superficially i'd guess "no gently caress you, as a former president you have not-completely-obnoxious scif access" but i'm certain there are people posting here with a better idea of how it's gone down with not-former-presidents

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i don't even know what the normal ruling would be on this tbh, "i need to be able to discuss these things with my lawyers" is a sane ask and "we would prefer you to not speak to your lawyers about nuclear secrets outside of a scif" is a sane response

superficially i'd guess "no gently caress you, as a former president you have not-completely-obnoxious scif access" but i'm certain there are people posting here with a better idea of how it's gone down with not-former-presidents

I don’t think Jimmy Carter’s house has multiple Chinese agents just, like, hanging out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nobody in this thread (or anywhere else) has any way of knowing, since the case is still early and we don't exactly have a ton of info about Cannon's stance.

The general consensus of Twitter lawyer seems to be that the Trump team's request is unreasonable and wildly unprecedented, and deserves little more than a quick dismissal. But a former president facing criminal charges is also pretty unprecedented and Cannon appears to be aware of that, so who the gently caress knows.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Google Jeb Bush posted:

lol
trump and his lawyers reviewing the documents in the scif with the government and, every document, trump's lawyer gives him a little "you do that poo poo?" nod to which trump responds "YES I TOOK THESE DOCUMENTS!!"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Found the article with the poll mentioned earlier about how half of Republicans don't even think there were documents at Mar-a-Lago.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1684806304290766848

yknow it's funny because one reading of this is 'oh half of them don't even think he did anything wrong' but the other reading of that is 'gop is split dead down the center on trump,' which is not very good when you're going into an election where every last vote matters

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yknow it's funny because one reading of this is 'oh half of them don't even think he did anything wrong' but the other reading of that is 'gop is split dead down the center on trump,' which is not very good when you're going into an election where every last vote matters
The problem is that the same 50% that think Trump did illegal thing also think that voting for a Democrat is worse than voting for Satan himself, so they'll vote for Trump anyway. These people are not one Trump conviction away from voting for a Democrat. They'll vote for the R no matter who they are.

Remember that Trump got MORE votes the second time.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 29, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Crows Turn Off posted:

The problem is that the same 50% that think Trump did illegal thing also think that voting for a Democrat is worse than voting for Satan himself, so they'll vote for Trump anyway. These people are not one Trump conviction away from voting for a Democrat. They'll vote for the R no matter who they are.

Remember that Trump got MORE votes the second time.

people say this but it sure didn't work out that way in 2018, 2020, or 2022. gop still needs to figure out their division poo poo as much now as they did in any of those previous elections

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
You love to see it

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1685231092247244800

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

No, it's not a sane request, he's asking for a free pass to commit felonies. People who are supposed to have access to those docs can go to prison for taking them outside the SCIF.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Any ruling besides "lol gently caress you, no. With prejudice" is absurd. Doing more crimes with your lawyers to defend yourself against your previous crimes is not something that should be encouraged. Will it be that way? Who knows? poo poo's whack right now.

gregday
May 23, 2003

That he really, really, really wants a copy of the docs at MAL, even during the trial about why he should not have the docs, makes me extra suspicious that he was selling them.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

gregday posted:

That he really, really, really wants a copy of the docs at MAL, even during the trial about why he should not have the docs, makes me extra suspicious that he was selling them.

I think he's been paid for a document he no longer has access to, and now either has to either get the doc or refund the money.

He absolutely doesn't have money to return, and if he did it would be very difficult to hide the transfer with the feds looking into everything.

Perhaps, in my lovely headcanon, Trump is far less worried about the annoying feds threatening jail time, and far more worried about his family falling out of windows

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Starting to think that Donald Trump may, in fact, actually be a witch.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think he's been paid for a document he no longer has access to, and now either has to either get the doc or refund the money.

why would trump ever start caring about owing money to someone

if you've given him money and he hasn't given you anything for that just means you're a sucker

He's just mad that he can't have his toys and he wants his toys back and he doesn't want to have to follow any rules about it because they're his toys not anybody else's

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

why would trump ever start caring about owing money to someone

He promised a document to a dictator and doesn't want to look like a chump from his new BFF?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

gregday posted:

I am utterly convinced he sold state secrets, and that it will be part of of a superseding indictment.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

I am utterly convinced he sold state secrets, and that it will be part of of a superseding indictment.

Imagine if it all runs full circle and the whole Mueller investigation turns out to be true (it is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

the kingdom of saudi arabia gave jared a two billion dollar investment so my money's on him, if anyone, being the one that actually did some sale of state secrets