Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bullying never worked. People still wrote their weird fan fic but with like the gods as the key so they can be extra weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, having his quills stolen and getting locked in the pantry more often by his fellows wouldn't have done anything to make John Milton less himself.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i've never really heard the 'bullying works' line from someone who did not seem as though they were trying and failing to convince me that they had not been bullied.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DerekSmartymans posted:

Bullying worked for multiple millennia of human history,

Dude, you're posting in the horny fridge thread in the video games forum of something awful dot com.

Bully doesn't work or neither of us would be here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Beyond that, Saerileth is bad and cringe, but the reasons its bad go way beyond it just being cringe.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

The new Rachet and Clank is good! Though I decided to turn off Ray Tracing, I got tired of futtzing with the settings. I could get 45 - 60 FPS (my TV is only 60HZ) in most places with all RT on at 1440p @ high settings. If I want to get a solid 60 FPS I can move DLSS to performance but that seems to gently caress with the RT reflections on my system making weird blocky reflections in places on a 3080TI. I never got much out of RT anyways so I just turned it off cranked everything up to very high 4k, DLSS quality and everything looks great and I never dip below 60. The gameplay is great, this is my first Ratchet and Clank game and I'm having a good time. Insomniac seems to be pretty good at this whole game making thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Insomniac seems to be pretty good at this whole game making thing.

Still waiting for Overstrike.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

The gameplay is great, this is my first Ratchet and Clank game and I'm having a good time. Insomniac seems to be pretty good at this whole game making thing.

Yeah, haven't played a Ratchet & Clank game since Up Your Arsenal on the PS2 and it's a lot of fun so far. In addition to worrying about PC ports in general these days I was worried something with this level of visual spectacle would have relatively shallow mechanics behind it, the whole package has been solid.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone here play Xenonauts 2? I know it's in EA, but is the storyline completed at least? Been thinking about giving it a try.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone here play Xenonauts 2? I know it's in EA, but is the storyline completed at least? Been thinking about giving it a try.

storyline is not complete

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

orcane posted:

all the "survivor trilogy" plot was complete garbage

Agreed, I think they are fun games and the gameplay is solid, but I never understood the acclaim for the story. Very ham fisted acting.

Is Dead Space still running like poo poo on PC? Digital Foundry revisited a bunch of the notorious 2023 stuttering games and didn't have nice things to say about it. It's on sale for PS5 and I'll take 60 smooth frames over stuttery race tracing if the PC port is still garbo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Anti-Hero posted:

Is Dead Space still running like poo poo on PC? Digital Foundry revisited a bunch of the notorious 2023 stuttering games and didn't have nice things to say about it. It's on sale for PS5 and I'll take 60 smooth frames over stuttery race tracing if the PC port is still garbo.

Probably better to get it on PS5 unfortunately, they pushed out one patch shortly after release on PC and then seemingly abandoned it completely. Performance during gameplay was generally ok but every single cutscene for me was like the one in the DF video where the ship explodes and the game engine completely shits itself until the cutscene is over. Don't remember if they nailed down exactly what was causing it and certain systems don't run into that issue, it would present itself quickly if so and give you plenty of time to still refund if you want to try it first on Steam.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Probably better to get it on PS5 unfortunately, they pushed out one patch shortly after release on PC and then seemingly abandoned it completely. Performance during gameplay was generally ok but every single cutscene for me was like the one in the DF video where the ship explodes and the game engine completely shits itself until the cutscene is over. Don't remember if they nailed down exactly what was causing it and certain systems don't run into that issue, it would present itself quickly if so and give you plenty of time to still refund if you want to try it first on Steam.

Thanks! You confirmed my suspicion. I've settled in to a system where I'm buying games on console if they are exclusive there, or the PC port is abysmal.

I've had my eye on Jedi Survivor and it runs like poop on every platform :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't have any issues at all with Dead Space's performance but I still think if you can play it on console that might be your best option just based on the variance people had with performance.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I played the Dead Space remake on PC and I thought it was fine? I'm sure there were micro-stutters or whatever, but I literally didn't notice them. It's not like the game is constantly hitching up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I got the microstutters too on a powerful PC (4080, 13th gen intel) and hadn't known about the PC port's reputation going in so I thought something was wrong on my end. They're not...dealbreaking, but I definitely noticed them, I think it mostly happened when you're loading into another area. There was one point where I had to roll back my drivers because the game kept crashing tho, that was a pain.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Apparently a major factor in Dead Space PC performance is whether you got it installed on an SSD or HDD. On the former it supposedly runs mostly okay, on the latter it's sometimes basically unplayable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Apparently a major factor in Dead Space PC performance is whether you got it installed on an SSD or HDD. On the former it supposedly runs mostly okay, on the latter it's sometimes basically unplayable.

The game straight up lists a SSD under the system requirements, you probably shouldn't play it on an HDD. The game is built on being able to load stuff fast, and the game can straight up bug out if it can't load in time.

Now that we're getting more games that are targeting PS5 and Xbox Series S/X and aren't coming out on the PS4 or Xbone, we're going to see more games that require SSDs. I'm not talking about some meme about the PS5 "super special fast SSD" or whatever, I just mean that we're going to get more games that need to load faster than an HDD can support.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
1TB SSDs are as cheap or cheaper than 1TB HDDs these days so there aren't many good reasons for having a gaming PC that still runs off an HDD these days.

Veotax posted:

I'm not talking about some meme about the PS5 "super special fast SSD" or whatever
There's nothing special about the PS5's SSDs - it's the way it uses the SSD that's super special fast, but PCs aren't far off from being able to take similar advantage of them. I think Forspoken already uses DirectStorage to get PS5-like load times.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CommissarMega posted:

I got it and kilt some aleins was p fun. Lots of holes though, it's def ea. If you know you'll be getting it at some point no harm in grabbing it now, but yeah don't expect a final product.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

There's nothing special about the PS5's SSDs - it's the way it uses the SSD that's super special fast, but PCs aren't far off from being able to take similar advantage of them. I think Forspoken already uses DirectStorage to get PS5-like load times.

They’re just nice NVME drives with hardware decompression, the unfortunate trick, as it always is, is for PC standards and developers to play nice and actually use the tech now that it’s available without having fifteen different middlewares or whatever the gently caress.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volte posted:

1TB SSDs are as cheap or cheaper than 1TB HDDs these days so there aren't many good reasons for having a gaming PC that still runs off an HDD these days.

flash prices are ridiculous as of late, even 512GB microsd cards are down to "sure why not" prices now

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I got it and kilt some aleins was p fun. Lots of holes though, it's def ea. If you know you'll be getting it at some point no harm in grabbing it now, but yeah don't expect a final product.
How many more years until it's done you reckon? :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

How many more years until it's done you reckon? :v:

An actual alien invasion will halt production first

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How large is their dev team? Because the last thing I remember of Xeno2 was playing that demo and how many years ago was that?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I... did it? :confuoot:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sway Grunt posted:

Congrats.

Or... I'm sorry?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sway Grunt posted:

and now post how many of those you have actually played.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sway Grunt posted:

Let's see Paul Allen's completion percentage.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've beaten like 85% of them! It helps that I'm not a completionist and only rarely replay games.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 29, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

and now post how many of those you have actually played.

*starts sobbing*

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Sway Grunt posted:

I've beaten like 85% of them! It helps that I'm not a completionist and only rarely replay games.

That's still a pretty impressive completion rate, tbh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sway Grunt posted:

hell yea, another gamer like me. 72% of 2075 games beaten here

anyway IMPORTANT INFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MoB-JFH-jQ

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Friendly reminder to blow out your case/GPU/coolers/PSU's since apparently the world is setting heat records. I'd rather be playing games now instead of when the world starts on fire and I'm waiting for new parts to arrive.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The OG Amid Evil had some slick production values but lost me somewhere along the way (though to be fair that's a lot of shooters, not a mark against Amid Evil specifically).

That time scythe and the fifteen-second Fist of the North Star beat-down at the end certainly caught my attention, however.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

anyway IMPORTANT INFO

YES. gently caress YES.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The 7th Guest posted:

pretty hosed up

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

y'all are playing the games you buy??

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

anyway IMPORTANT INFO

my labyrinth is ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
are people playing games in this goddamn thread I swear to Christ