Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
literally right at the bottom of that article:

quote:

UPDATE: Several eye doctors confirmed to Salon that this type of surgery isn’t medically possible. It was all a joke, people!

but honestly it says a whole about grimes that she said something that batshit and folks just nodded along like "yup that sounds like something you'd do"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

grimes in the lab with her friend making polymers

just cybr princess things

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
her dark twisted mind (cannot see colored spectrum)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Those eye doctors are obviously in the pay of big blue.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"grimes hosed up her color vision on purpose" and "the experimental procedure she outlined is complete nonsense" are not mutually exclusive statements :colbert:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Those eye doctors are obviously in the pay of big blue.

IBM?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
snorlax

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHhjnJP0VCo

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The eye surgery is whatever, the real question is why did adidas decide to partner with her. Are they pushing some all spaghetti diet now?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

literally right at the bottom of that article:

but honestly it says a whole about grimes that she said something that batshit and folks just nodded along like "yup that sounds like something you'd do"

Several experts told her here in Minnesota that her houseboat wouldn't float and that didn't stop her

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

All Day I Dream About Spaghetti

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Jesus Christ, just live on a shack on the beach or cabin by a lake and smoke weed all day, how do you gently caress up being a billionaire so badly?!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

B-Rock452 posted:

The eye surgery is whatever, the real question is why did adidas decide to partner with her. Are they pushing some all spaghetti diet now?

After the Kanye fiasco they are on a mission to find and sponsor the next celebrity most likely to have a racially charged mental breakdown.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Adidas wants us all to eat bugs!!!

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Real cool that the richest man on the planet, who is 52 years old, is perpetually stuck in the mind of a 14 year old 4Chan troll. Awesome. Wonderful.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

E the Shaggy posted:

Real cool that the richest man on the planet, who is 52 years old, is perpetually stuck in the mind of a 14 year old 4Chan troll. Awesome. Wonderful.

He's trying to appeal to all the blue dab guys.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

uh how do you get succulents that dead

does it literally never rain in San Fran?

This is what it's supposed to look like; https://acochran.com/work/1355-market-roof-deck-landscape-architecture/

It looks entirely hosed now.

vs

cynic fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 29, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

One day Elon Musk will be 69 years old. Heh. Elite.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ah great let's make sure nobody gets a night's sleep and extra gently caress you if you have epilepsy!!!!!!

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Grimes is absolutely an insane techno princess out of a William Gibson novel, which is why the eye surgery story is like “yeah that could happen” because she’s always out there wilding.

And that’s utter catnip to Elon. He wants to think he’s an impulsive creative tech genius. He’s not; he’s incapable of even the mildest trailblazing and has no ability to gauge what is or isn’t a good idea. The only thing he can do is show up right after the real inventors make their move and try to take some or all of the credit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Elon does seem to have it figured out that by being a massive prick in every instance you can get a lot of free publicity and almost never face any real consequences.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Elon does seem to have it figured out that by being a massive prick in every instance you can get a lot of free publicity and almost never face any real consequences.

It's wild how effective the strategy of just topping your bullshit day by day is. Makes me think a lot of what held back psychos with too much money and power in history was largely self-regulated, some desire to be seen as good or important or other positive attributes to others or to history in a way some of these new freaks don't care about at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Khanstant posted:

It's wild how effective the strategy of just topping your bullshit day by day is. Makes me think a lot of what held back psychos with too much money and power in history was largely self-regulated, some desire to be seen as good or important or other positive attributes to others or to history in a way some of these new freaks don't care about at all.

Yeah Trump also showed a lot that if someone just has zero shame and has people who will implement their wishes how far it can go. I think elon is just following his lead. Once again just sponging off someone else.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Just the absolute dumbest decision holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1685320104085757952?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Because repost has such a positive connotation

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"grimes hosed up her color vision on purpose" and "the experimental procedure she outlined is complete nonsense" are not mutually exclusive statements :colbert:

They probably sedated her for a bit, told her the operation was a success, and she still believes them so hard that she sees with an orange tint.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Grimes is absolutely an insane techno princess out of a William Gibson novel, which is why the eye surgery story is like “yeah that could happen” because she’s always out there wilding.

I wonder if this is why, consciously or not, Musk really seemed to crack when they split up?

He and Grimes were perfect for each other in so many ways - both a special sort of stupid, both convinced they're much more intelligent and visionary than they are, both fond of making profound-seeming statements that they don't really understand and turn out to be gibberish, both make a point of refusing to listen to people who are experts or have previous experience and both come from a privileged background and so are entirely divorced from reality.

And even with all that, it couldn't work and she left him. Maybe it's because, for all her being as big a weird 14-year-old mind in an adult body as he is, she has at least written some decent songs, which is more creativity and talent than Elon has ever demonstrated?

Even his perfect Anime Manic Pixie Techno Elf Dream Girlfriend didn't like him. The one that he managed to attract by talking about Roko's Basilisk on twitter. Even that person ended up dumping him. That's gotta sting.

E: That just reminded me of the time Elon went on twitter to reply-guy 'Well actually... :actually:' to Grimes - the mother of his newborn child - when she got the type of plane the kid was named after wrong. Lol

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 29, 2023

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What the gently caress is with social media taking existing phrases and loving them up?

Repost means to take something and post it fresh, usually claiming it's yours. That's a phrase. That's a phrase that's been around forever.

Threads have been a thing since forums and beyond, and now we get social media trying to call itself "threads."

I remember when I was 5 and I was like "Wow... you know what would be a cool name for a skeleton? Boner! I'm gonna draw a skeleton named Boner!" They're doing that. They're all doing that.

Get ready for my new chat program: DMs! Who wants to join my new social media network, Likes?

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 29, 2023

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

steinrokkan posted:

After the Kanye fiasco they are on a mission to find and sponsor the next celebrity most likely to have a racially charged mental breakdown.

Thank you for manifesting Kanye in this thread.

Elon unbanned Kanye today. So there you go.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol calling them "Xs" lasted less than a week

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
The janky-rear end assembly looks super improvised. What in hell are those LED modules they've made the sign from? they don't look like any signage LED module I've ever seen. The bulk and depth of the modules looks high powered. The video shows how absurdly bright they are, completely inappropriate for inner-city signage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Elon unbanning Kanye today is obviously a way to get headlines and get people on his platform, but will people care? I hope not. I also hope advertisers finally see this as a reason to leave for good.

I think the hardest part is the alternatives aren’t fully cooked yet , but with X being a complete poo poo show now I really hope the great migration happens sooner than later.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

The janky-rear end assembly looks super improvised. What in hell are those LED modules they've made the sign from? they don't look like any signage LED module I've ever seen. The bulk and depth of the modules looks high powered. The video shows how absurdly bright they are, completely inappropriate for inner-city signage.

$40 truck LED bars from Amazon, just like 50 of them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That X looks like it was made by the ocean gate people.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Imagine if it was really possible to remove the ability to see a specific shade of colour through surgery and you choose blue, the best colour, when you could get rid of something boring like red

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

frumpykvetchbot posted:

He knows it'd obnoxious and ugly. He thinks it's funny to piss off his neighbors and the SF government.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

crispix posted:

ah great let's make sure nobody gets a night's sleep and extra gently caress you if you have epilepsy!!!!!!
Flashing signs are also illegal just about everywhere so they're almost certainly going to get fined by the city.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

somnambulist posted:

Elon unbanning Kanye today is obviously a way to get headlines and get people on his platform, but will people care? I hope not. I also hope advertisers finally see this as a reason to leave for good.

I think the hardest part is the alternatives aren’t fully cooked yet , but with X being a complete poo poo show now I really hope the great migration happens sooner than later.

Elon unbanning Kanye isn't shocking at all - heck, I assumed he'd already done that.

As for the alternatives, I keep waiting for Bluesky or Threads to step up and really start competing with Twitter, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm starting to get the impression that Bluesky and Threads don't actually want to be alternatives to Twitter.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 29, 2023

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Sockser posted:

$40 truck LED bars from Amazon, just like 50 of them

nah, the shape is wrong. Too deep. I'm thinking those are DMX stage lights. The erector set scaffold and the lights probably came from the same stage equipment rental place. Not from a commercial sign maker; they would have been able to form the logo shape exactly from sheet metal and CNC or lasercut plastics. This is some kind of janky-rear end improvisation put together with very little preparation, and you can see they can only approximate the logo shape because the block sizes don't fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

OneEightHundred posted:

Flashing signs are also illegal just about everywhere so they're almost certainly going to get fined by the city.

Signs are super regulated on lighting, the church I went to as a kid was declined a permit to build one of those bright programmable scrolling signs because it was too close to a neighborhood. And this was even in a red state.