Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Yeah I had been using it with Temenos's over heal skill to great effect. I tried the superboss earlier and hopefully this Remedy tech and the extra levels from the finale will make the difference. I gave it a couple tries earlier and decided it would probably require a bit too many things to go right in sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah Sealtige Remedy is hilarious. That's whats great about this game, there's so many broken and fun interactions. Hell there's a video out there of Castti just one shotting the super boss with a super amped concoct (with wind element). Anything is possible if you stack enough stuff.

Bonus points for them stalling during set up by just having Partitio buy the boss's turns three times in a row.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've found a use for just about at least one of everyone's EX skills, which is good.

Except Hikari's which I actually had to look up to remind myself what they were. The second one looks okay but I don't think I've ever had a reason to use it.

Throne's aren't great (more fun) but I can see how the second could come in handy at some point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hikari’s second EX skill would be amazing if Limb from Limb didn’t exist. It does a ton of damage over two hits, it's just that once you've learned Limb from Limb it kind of blows any other sword attack out of the water

(I used it anyway sometimes because the animation looks cooler)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also by that point you can also just use the Merchant passive to start every fight with a full Latent to use his AoE skill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

True. By that point I was just having him sweep every random encounter with Sentencing Gavel lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spent 100k on a ship just to find out that I'm not high-level enough to actually sail the seas safely lol

Game rules.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Spent 100k on a ship just to find out that I'm not high-level enough to actually sail the seas safely lol

Game rules.

Lol I did this too but at least I got 20% off!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I did the same, and just went sailing anyway. Found some sweet loot and also some horrible deaths, which is how I like to play.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibblebibble posted:

Game rules.

Money invested now is money saved later!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
do y'all always have summons following you around on Partitio/Agnea/Temenos? I'm trying to figure out if that's how you're supposed to fix their lack of good multi-hit moves for breaks, or if I should be getting them some kind of jobs that have those moves. Agnea in particular I don't really get, she feels pretty underpowered even with her buffs, since they're only single target without her latent power active

e: ok I've scrolled up and I guess I should try this Sealticge's Seduction skill :stare:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 29, 2023

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

do y'all always have summons following you around on Partitio/Agnea/Temenos? I'm trying to figure out if that's how you're supposed to fix their lack of good multi-hit moves for breaks, or if I should be getting them some kind of jobs that have those moves. Agnea in particular I don't really get, she feels pretty underpowered even with her buffs, since they're only single target without her latent power active

e: ok I've scrolled up and I guess I should try this Sealticge's Seduction skill :stare:

For partitio yes, because the x% reduction in buying off of people or from shops is really nice especially early game. Agnea as well because of the added effects she gets for dancing when she has a summon (for example, restoring target's SP).

Summons for Temenos don't seem all that useful (applies to Ochette too I think) but there is an argument for having summons who bring unique effects when called in a fight. The other two don't really need that.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

Specifically for Agnea, outside the dancer divine her strength is her latent ability but using it on dancer skills is not usually the best use. You can do stuff like use arcanist to do party wide reflect, use it with inventor to mega-elixir the party with full bp/latent with coil, thief for aoe corrosive, cleric for aoe shield, etc. Sealticge also covers some of these but Agnea's latent can be done without a turn to set up which makes it useful for turn one stuff. Especially setting up a party with coil.

Also Windy Refrain is a very good skill for controlling turn order and song of hope can effectively make buffs permanent with the extensions. In general, classes are kinda underwhelming but EX skills are very strong across the board. So if you want to know how to make a character work just look at their latent + EX skills and that'll basically tell you what you have to work with. Barring stuff like Arcanist Partitio doing party wide side-step/rest and stuff.

For recruits, there's some npcs that do special effects when Agnea dances like buffing damage/defense/etc. There's even a guy who will restore 1 BP to your dance target. So getting one of those can make her a bit more useful to.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Oh I misread your question slightly - yes I would not rely on those two character's primary jobs for multi hit breaks. Summons aren't really the way to go either. However there are subjobs and divine skills that will help, though some characters are just going to be better at breaking than others, but all of them have at least one or two niches that work really well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ibblebibble posted:

Game rules.

I did it and beat both bosses with a team in the 25-30 range. Levels are secondary to party setup (and gear).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've barely ever summoned Agnea's NPC buddy, because it was much more useful to have her dances restore SP or give buffs on command. Agnea's Dancer contribution to the party is mostly in keeping her allies online and throwing out her EX wind skill if you know you're gonna hit a break next turn.

Once I started finding the late bonus classes I pivoted her to Armsmaster, using her Latent + sixfold strike to immediately reveal every weapon weakness a boss and its minions might have, and using cosmic sword for big hits on broken foes. Maybe not the most optimal build, but hella convenient.

E: oh, and I never really used Partitio directly for breaking or AoE, either. Hired Help can do it quite well in a pinch, but you can almost always just toss his BP to an ally before/after popping his latent and let them do it for free

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 29, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Temenos needs the Merchant license for a bit so that I can get the insta-latent passive, so I guess Osvald gets to rock the thief plunging neckline a bit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
JP is universal, so you can immediately switch to Merchant, get skills until you get the passive you need, then switch right back to whatever.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

JP is universal, so you can immediately switch to Merchant, get skills until you get the passive you need, then switch right back to whatever.

Good point, I keep forgetting that lol

Thief Osvald's kinda got it going on though...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Osvald looks insanely cool as a Thief

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've barely ever summoned Agnea's NPC buddy, because it was much more useful to have her dances restore SP or give buffs on command.

Yeah once I found one who gave BP as their added buff I never recruited anyone else with her, that was really useful

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Just finished the epilogue + superboss yesterday. Just fantastic.

(censored for discretion)

Octopath 1 was such a lovely game despite its flaws and I'm thrilled Octopath 2 made a conscious effort to improve while still keeping a lot of its idiosyncrasies I like. I was shocked that the battle system is more or less entirely the same with only minor additions, but the Octo system might be my favourite turn-based battle system ever so I don't mind. As much as the character selection mechanic makes character interactions still a bit awkward, I do really enjoy it as there's nothing else quite like it. The freedom to pick and choose each chapter for each character is still fun, to me, and the changes to travel banter helps make it all just a bit more cohesive. I don't remember if Octo 1 had this, but the custom battle barks each character had for each other depending on the situation was also super charming. Always enjoyed getting a break on an enemy and hearing another character react to it.

I really enjoy the NPC writing. I think Octopath is basically best in class at this. So many backstories tucked away and intertwined that you can piece together. It really combines so well with the path actions mechanics because there's a surprising amount of freedom in how you choose to solve side stories based on how deeply you go into their backstory text. Like, it's super simple, but a random NPC in the winter town having text that goes "it's loving cold I hate it" unlocking a hidden item that leads to a Fire Soulstone? Never fails to make me smile. It's like Dark Souls item descriptions being explicitly attached to faces instead of just implied. I also always enjoy encountering some otherwise inconspicuous NPC whose inquiry text is nothing but "DOOM DOOM DOOM MURDER MURDER".

Thoughts per character below, just to get them out of my system:

A-Team
Throné
(Story) Boy this was as weird one. Throné was my lead and I got really invested in her story because I'm a sucker for liberation/freedom stories. I found Father and Mother to be compelling antagonists and the choice between chasing either down was super neat and a great introduction to the increased variance in story structure compared to Octo 1. Aaaaaand then her last chapter just comes out of nowhere. Definitely took a wild turn and I'm not really sure to what end, other than to tie into the intertwined darkness plot, I guess. I thought the game was gonna go for a sci-fi cloning twist with NPCs in Lost Seed being referred to as vessels and that kid that looked like Pirro (and Mira looks like Throné) but uh weirdo Dracula fathering half the continent is certainly a direction instead. On the bright side Claude's boss sprite (with the baby) absolutely rules and is probably my favourite of the bunch. Plus I really liked Mira and her post-story side chapter and revisting the forest orphanage and seeing all the kids' new backstories was super cute.
(Battle) Ran as Thief/Armsmaster. Armsmaster makes anyone a physical powerhouse and Throné's latent means she can dump a 3x/2x boosted Lion's Axe or at worst set up a defence down debuff for herself in a pinch if she needed to.

Castti
(Story) I love Castti. I really wasn't expecting much from her character but holy poo poo she is my clear-cut favourite out of both Octo 1 and 2. She's just such an unflappable, unfailingly good person and the best part is that she is so willing to beat the piss out of anyone that stands in her way. It made her really tragic story all the more sad that it's happening to such a genuinely good person. The reveal that Malaya was dead this whole time was heartbreaking, not because it was such a shock, but because it was just another twist of the knife for Castti. Though, not sure if it was a mistake or what, but Malaya's character sprite definitely showed up in another character's story so not really sure what's going on there.

I love that everyone treats her as the team mom (and especially her relationship with Ochette) and that Castti doesn't mind leaning into it as hard as possible. I also loved the glitchy inquire bits and it always managed to catch me off guard just because it's so different and sci-fiy compared to the anything else in the game.

Trousseau was... less compelling, even after the single codex entry in the epilogue that explains why he took such a turn. With that said, all I could think of was that Civ game where Gandhi automatically goes for the nuke option because his programming made world peace only possible if everyone was dead, so that was kinda funny.

Castti had my absolute favourite battle barks. "NO MERCY; ONLY PAIN" and "WITH THESE HANDS" will be in my mind for a long time. I also loved her "what to do, what to do..." line.

(Battle) Ran as Apothecary/Warrior. Apothecary, as the entire thread knows, is entirely broken, so I gave her Warrior for a huge boost to her HP and Defence stats more than anything else. Also because her warrior sprite with the battle bun rules. She also did pretty decent damage if the opportunity ever presented itself, as a bonus.

As a small note, I enjoyed that in one of her chapters, there was as side character who was also an Apothecary named Mao in a vaguely mid-century Asian setting.

Agnea
(Story) It was okay. More than anything else I liked how much of a tonal whiplash it was compared to almost everyone else, ala Tressa. It got a little too saccharine at times, especially the Sai chapter where dancing totally ameliorated everyone's problems and they happily danced ever after (they didn't even fix the busted dancer statue lol). I did like Dolcinea and her very gay bodyguard though, and the showdown at the dance show was super fun. Even if it wasn't my favourite story, I really appreciate it as part of the mix.
(Battle) Ran as Dancer/Inventor. Inventor with Agnea's latent is busted and even if all her inventions are down, Dancer with Agnea is good enough on its own. The second I saw some random NPC with the +1BP dance bonus it felt like the shackles came off. I don't really like the Inventor sprite though but Agnea kinda rocks it.

Temenos
(Story) If you asked me before if I would like the combination inquistor/priest/cop I would have flatly said no. But I love Temenos. It helps that he clearly isn't that into the church part (though he is clearly into the inquisiting part) and most of his story is about exposing the church's very corrupt police organization. He's such as sassy piece of poo poo lol. Crick's death hit me so hard because I was rooting for them to gay marry in an epilogue and it was pretty heart-wretching as one of the very few moments Temenos genuinely gets affected. The final boss is so clearly telegraphed that I was looking forward the whole time to exposing her and taking her down. Though I really enjoyed that she basically transforms into that one dancer boss from Dark Souls 3 (a second before she got vapourized because my party was way overlevelled by this point.
(Battle) Ran as Cleric/Scholar. Not terribly exciting, but Scholar is just too good a fit for him. Great for random battles but kind of just reduced to a breaking/heal bot in boss fights. Getting the Sealticge buff to put Scared Shield/Prayer for Plenty was real great though, abused that as hard as I did in Octo 1.

B-Team
Hikari
(Story) I really liked his story. It was definitely just some flavour of a Samurai revenge story but heck if I don't love them. I can always get behind a story about a single lone survivor gathering his strength and allies to overcome his enemies. Some of his chapters being set in the middle of a battlefield was also fun. I feel he's also a pretty good take on stoic warrior man just because of how innocent and pure he is. I loved the travel banter where he inadvertently makes Agnea blush.
(Battle) Ran as Warrior/Conjurer. Hikari is so, so strong with his base kit and Learned Skills that it felt unnecessary to give him Armsmaster. Conjurer lets him stack Battle-Tested Blade and Giant's Club and gives him a big bonus to his base SP, which is great for his costly Learned Skills. Plus the "oh poo poo" button in Rite of the Sun made sense for him because he'd likely be the last to go down (though I never ended up having to use it). Plus I love his sprite because I just imagine after the events of his main story he decides to become a Shinto Priest.

Ochette
(Story) I didn't expect to like Ochette as much as I did, but the earnestness in her voice acting really went a long way. Her story was fun and I really enjoyed getting to see what giant mega beast she'd collect at each new location. Her last chapter was the only one to get me close to choking up, something about just how profoundly sad the other pet's life was really got to me. This whole thing could have been avoided if Juvah just let you have two pets!
(Battle) Ran as Hunter/Thief. I made the effort to get some really broken monsters so it kind of felt unnecessary for her to have been anything else. Made her a thief for the speed bonus and the occasional debuffing. But holy, her monsters are so strong and became such a fun part of her kit. My favourite was Scourge of the Sea because it felt so, so good completely smashing a target's Shield Points with a straight left punch to the mouth.

Partitio
(Story) If you asked me before I would have liked the capitalism man, I would have flatly said no. But boy howdy is Partitio just such a charming and upstanding fella. And then his story culminates in him beating the poo poo out of a steam-powered doomtrain as I hooted and hollered the entire time. It goes a long way that Partitio states and restates over and over that money/wealth/technology is something to explicitly share with everyone to improve the collective, as opposed to hoarded and sold to the highest bidder. Though, it is really funny that him more or less kickstarting the Industrial Revolution dooms the Octopath world to the same climate fate as ours lol.
(Battle) Merchant/Arcanist. The legend of sidesteppin' Runelord Tressa will never die. His Latent + Donate BP was also just such a fun tool to have lying around.

Osvald
(Story) I hate Harvey. Which, I guess is the point, but him wheeling out dead-wife-golem and missing-mind puppet-daughter starting spiralling into cartoonish for me. I liked that the boss battle devolved into shooting magic beams at each other though. Plus the idea that magic can be supplemented by things like mathematical equations (or biology, in Harvey's case) is a neat take. But the One True Magic being powered by love is not exactly where I expected the dark/revenge-fueled story going. I do really love his voice acting though and he really chewed up some of the lines. Plus him towering over the rest of the characters and built like a brick went a long way to Osvald's charm.
(Battle) Scholar/Cleric. Like Temenos, not really an exciting choice but it synergizes well. Plus it gave each of my teams a Cleric/Scholar combo for healing and aoe magic. Was also more useful in fights thanks to his Latent but I forgot to give him Deal More Damage in the superboss so welp.

General thoughts on the epilogue: This was such a nice addition compared to Octopath 1. A last, pretty substantial storyline that ties in all the weird little niggling hooks each storyline had. Kazan being a fucker works because I was always side-eyeing him during Hikari's story (and noticed that bit where he turned towards the throne at the end of his story), but I kinda felt the Ori twist was a bit forced. Of the other side characters involved in the epilogue, Tanzy and Mindt/Arcanette broke my heart because Tanzy was so overwhelmingly taken advantaged of and never got a happy ending (and also no one really seemed to care). The campfire scene was so, so good and I burst into such a wide smile when I realized that they were all positioned the exact same as on the box art. Them saying goodbye one by one was so sad! But the final walk through New Delsta with all the side characters was super fun and reminded me of something like free roaming the Earthbound world in the epilogue. I also really enjoyed seeing Juvah and Acta in the audience during the performance lol.

The crossed paths stories were also fun but I do wish there was more to them than set pairs the whole time (though realistically I understand how that's a logistical challenge.) I loved the pairings and only wish we got more to them!

Of the superboss, hands down exhilarating and I started uncontrollably shaking once I got to the second phase from nerves. The first phase took me a couple tries due to all the counter stuff going on, but once I made it to the second phase I beat it on my first try. I felt the same as Octopath 1, but I do wish the (mechanic spoilers) team switching mechanics here and during the final epilogue boss was used a bit more, always felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity given how fun it is.

I wish the artbook releases weren't so far behind (we're only just getting the Octo 1 art book by the end of 2023) because I feel so melancholic that I'm leaving all these characters behind. I would love to spend more time with them and this world.

td;lr: Castti rules

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 29, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I wish the artbook releases weren't so far behind (we're only just getting the Octo 1 art book by the end of 2023) because I feel so melancholic that I'm leaving all these characters behind. I would love to spend more time with them and this world.

Yeah this was the game I've played this year that most gave me this feeling. I knew in my heart it was something really special because when I finished it I was simultaneously sad it was over and very satisfied with the journey I'd had. The best way to end a long RPG.

Really loved this game a whole lot

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah this was the game I've played this year that most gave me this feeling. I knew in my heart it was something really special because when I finished it I was simultaneously sad it was over and very satisfied with the journey I'd had. The best way to end a long RPG.

Really loved this game a whole lot

That's how I felt after I finished FF16 so I'm looking forward to getting smacked by that again by the time I finish Octo2.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

just got completely wrecked by Castti's Chapter 4 boss :stare:

I went in with Castti Inventor, Osvald Merchant, Hikari Thief, Partitio Cleric. This was not an effective combo. I think I'm gonna go back in with a hunter for Leghold Trap, so I can buy myself time to cast buffs.

I don't really get the Apothecary tricks, even now that I've finally found the damaging concoctions option. I'm really just using Castti to do a ton of damage with Poison Axe. What kind of stuff should I be looking to use?

e: did it with the power of Leghold Trap. with the poison rain effect Osvald had like 400 max HP at the end :stonk:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 29, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh no, the busted part of Castti's arsenal is her supportive concoctions. You want to buy a stack of the ingredients that strengthen effects and make them multi-target, then use boost to throw in whatever other ingredients are needed. The obvious use is to throw in a pomegranate leaf or two to give the entire party +2/4 BP, which also means she can do it again the next turn, and then add plum or peach leaves as needed to restore HP/SP, throw up some buffs, whatever else might be handy.

And if you're good on all fronts, she can always use offensive concoction to throw down some debuffs, or quickly scan enemies for wind/light/dark weaknesses. Most ingredients other than pomegranate leaves can be trivially restocked, but give her the merchant skill that lets you start with a latent charge and pop her latent whenever it's up and you're using pomegranate, and you shouldn't even need to be particularly frugal.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

abraham linksys posted:

just got completely wrecked by Castti's Chapter 4 boss :stare:

I went in with Castti Inventor, Osvald Merchant, Hikari Thief, Partitio Cleric. This was not an effective combo. I think I'm gonna go back in with a hunter for Leghold Trap, so I can buy myself time to cast buffs.

I don't really get the Apothecary tricks, even now that I've finally found the damaging concoctions option. I'm really just using Castti to do a ton of damage with Poison Axe. What kind of stuff should I be looking to use?

e: did it with the power of Leghold Trap. with the poison rain effect Osvald had like 400 max HP at the end :stonk:

I haven't really messed around with the damaging effects but I know there are some that can be very overpowered. On the healing side, at that point you should have Diffusing and Strengthening Serum so you typically want to boost up so you can use both of those. At max boost you will be able to choose three effects that will affect the entire team. The basic healing item gives 2000 healing. You can buff the parties strength or elemental defense and the big one is pomegranate leaves. If stacked with Diffusing and Strengthening these will give the entire party 2 BP and can be used more than once per concoct with boost. However these are very rare so at this point you probably only want to use them with her latent power.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can buy serums from the black market near New Delsta. You can cycle night and day if the merchant isn’t there until they show up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

RuBisCO posted:

td;lr: Castti rules

:hmmyes:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah and if materials are a problem she can concoct for free with her latent skill and there are items/abilities/etc that can refill latent gauge. But by chapter 4 you should be able to get the materials to do diffusing, strengthen, pomegranate x 2 to give 4 BP to the team. That still leaves one ingredient to give HP, SP or whatever else you need. Also you can just use Dohter's charity on someone and spam the elixir items that full restore BP/latent/etc as well. Castti is good at everything but usually maxxing out the party's BP is the best option unless you have someone else doing that.

Damage concoct is more for breaking or if you are doing some weird gimmick build with a lot of stuff stacked. If you want damage drastic measures will usually be the better option for her. It hits very hard even with just a few debuffs on the enemy. Though to get good use out of it you need to give her the warrior skill that lets her break damage cap since it's a one hit move.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 30, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I tried to gently caress with the shark.

I learnt not to gently caress with the shark.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Finally beat the final (story) boss (after taking a week's break after dying at last stage. Mostly just needed to be less stingy with the pomegranate powers, but also some lessons:

1. Fully boosted summon beasts can be hilarious against shields.
2. Fully boosted hire veterans is pretty awesome, too.
3. Sealtige is as good as one expects as long as one invests the BP restore to make it frequent. Going to 9999 HP is pretty helpful for final bosses final phase gimmic.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

You can buy serums from the black market near New Delsta. You can cycle night and day if the merchant isn’t there until they show up.

This is huge; I've had so few of them I was always scared to use them unless I had the Latent Power. That explains why the heck that Black Market exists, not like Soulstones are particularly useful.

Made it through Throne, Agnea, Temenos, and Castti stories now. Agnea's boss loving ruled. I do think it's funny that she has the one story that seems like it's going to have nothing to do with the big all-together chapter, though I'm not really sure what Throne's is going to have to do with it - the climax to her story is such a dumb non sequitur, as much as I love a vampire boss.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

abraham linksys posted:

This is huge; I've had so few of them I was always scared to use them unless I had the Latent Power. That explains why the heck that Black Market exists, not like Soulstones are particularly useful.

Made it through Throne, Agnea, Temenos, and Castti stories now. Agnea's boss loving ruled. I do think it's funny that she has the one story that seems like it's going to have nothing to do with the big all-together chapter, though I'm not really sure what Throne's is going to have to do with it - the climax to her story is such a dumb non sequitur, as much as I love a vampire boss.

I love the contrast between the stories in that way. Where like Throne is talking about having to wade through oceans of blood and Agnea's final boss is a dancer, but she's mean! :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The other big scoop for concoct materials is that you can buy pomegranate leaves in the Beasting Village jerky store. Afaict that's the only place to buy them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the black market merchants sells those too, actually

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Osvald final boss spoilers: I thought the fight had been a cakewalk (I was a bit over level and have started actually using Castti properly so elemental defense was no issue), so when Harvey was like "I'm gonna power up even more!!" after the fight, I was expecting a second boss like with Agnea's last chapter. Instead he just loving exploded and I busted out laughing.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

All I have left are Castti and Ochette's last chapters (and anything after that). Spoilers for other characters below

Partitio's last chapter was awesome; the best by far. Gay McRichboy sails up on a boat to save the day and then you fight a giant train with multiple parts? best boss fight of the game so far. Makes the last 75 hours worth it.
Throne's final chapter and dungeon were great, a little behind Partitio's, but I loved the creepy town and the gimmick of the last boss there, even if her story and ending were overall less satisfying.
Agnea's final chapter (and her entire story) were so low-stakes in comparison... but the cinematics of the final chapter and final boss fight made it worth it. Unique music and a hell of a setting. And also Gil was there.
Osvald was a boring revenge plot for the first few chapters, but then the game tosses in a casual Shou Tucker twist and it got slightly more interesting. Not much, but just enough to bump it above Hikari.
Hikari is definitely the lowest-ranking in terms of story and such. Power of friendship, "this king will be different!" etc. etc. I appreciate that they tossed in a boss rush instead of a long dungeon, but it was still the most flat and predictable sequence in the game.
I liked Temenos' final chapter from the world-building aspect, but I can't really rate the final boss fight because my main character Castti is too overleveled and this happened twice (once in each phase). https://imgur.com/a/V3WKrIF After that I switched Castti to a support role (Conjurer) so I can enjoy the final bosses a bit more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Agnea's final boss fight also actually isn't one. It's just a very elaborate stage show between two world-class dancers and their backup teams providing fancy special effects with swordplay and magic displays.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agnea's final boss fight also actually isn't one. It's just a very elaborate stage show between two world-class dancers and their backup teams providing fancy special effects with swordplay and magic displays.

Yeah I thought that was an excellent way to handle it. Also loved the fake out with the Opera manager guy and his tragic backstory, and Agnea's song actually being the final boss theme for her chapter. I can understand people not liking her earlier chapters but her final chapter is one of the best in the game imo. And a much needed breather with how heavy the other stories get. Like Castti's story is my favorite but jeez it's a lot. So it's good Agnea is there to balance things a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah I thought that was an excellent way to handle it. Also loved the fake out with the Opera manager guy and his tragic backstory, and Agnea's song actually being the final boss theme for her chapter. I can understand people not liking her earlier chapters but her final chapter is one of the best in the game imo. And a much needed breather with how heavy the other stories get. Like Castti's story is my favorite but jeez it's a lot. So it's good Agnea is there to balance things a little.
I kinda wish I'd saved that one for a breather! I just did Castti and Ochette final chapters back to back and I have no salt left in my body.