Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

notenome
Jul 26, 2023

besides what has already been mentioned there were some other subtle things Threads has done. For example at launch it was immediately clear that the app had already been live for a while but solely with brands and influencers (you could see their post history), so that immediately these would be the most visible accounts anyone would see. Then there is the Instagram nudity ban but also a more nebulous 'disincentivizing' of politics and news posting (the head of Threads said it's inevitable but they want to discourage it). As I said a lot of small things in the service of a larger project.

That said, by all accounts this initial vision has bombed horribly so they are going to course correct. Zuck has pumped billions into stupid projects before and tech companies are usually slow to admit they took an L in general. Turns out giving ad execs everything they want makes for a poo poo website. Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

notenome posted:

besides what has already been mentioned there were some other subtle things Threads has done. For example at launch it was immediately clear that the app had already been live for a while but solely with brands and influencers (you could see their post history), so that immediately these would be the most visible accounts anyone would see. Then there is the Instagram nudity ban but also a more nebulous 'disincentivizing' of politics and news posting (the head of Threads said it's inevitable but they want to discourage it). As I said a lot of small things in the service of a larger project.

That said, by all accounts this initial vision has bombed horribly so they are going to course correct. Zuck has pumped billions into stupid projects before and tech companies are usually slow to admit they took an L in general. Turns out giving ad execs everything they want makes for a poo poo website. Who knew?

I honestly wonder if most major companies have a mostly complete version of other popular websites sitting in the chamber in case something ever happens. Facebook having a Twitter clone somewhere in their back room for several years and rolling it out when it might be relevant, soft launching it with brands first to beta test, wouldn't surprise me.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cat botherer posted:

I'm mercifully not an expert on CSAM, but the hashes at least would be different if one makes any changes whatsoever to the data.

IDing visual similarity would make it easy to catch, but that is also quite computationally expensive. I would highly doubt any social media company makes a general practice of doing that (which is bad, but that's the society we live in). The really damning thing here is how long it took to take down after all those reports, when they ban users for far lesser things all the time. And then reinstating it.

Microsoft has a tech called PhotoDNA that they provide to ICMEC so that images and videos can be hashed in a way that is supposed to survive changes to the file.
Companies can get access to a blackbox / API that they can pass batches of hashes to to check if the materials are known or not.
The company that Twitter used to be using sounds like it combines the PhotoDNA database with other databases to catch more materials than a single database alone.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

duz posted:

Microsoft has a tech called PhotoDNA that they provide to ICMEC so that images and videos can be hashed in a way that is supposed to survive changes to the file.
Companies can get access to a blackbox / API that they can pass batches of hashes to to check if the materials are known or not.
The company that Twitter used to be using sounds like it combines the PhotoDNA database with other databases to catch more materials than a single database alone.

The fourier transform of an image or video is likely to be enough to get a positive match with editing, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they use.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/itsmefrenchy123/status/1685177000913502209?s=20

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Absolutely incredible

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
That would be really cool in 1998.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Next thing you know there will be moving laser tripwires and spike pits in twitter HQ.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

this is the most divorced a man has ever been

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
https://i.imgur.com/F8Wh5fb.mp4

Incredible.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Can't wait to see where this goes next, delusions of grandeur never end well :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rappaport posted:

Can't wait to see where this goes next, delusions of grandeur never end well :allears:

He's probably in violation of a bunch of ordinances now, so it goes away we hope

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Rappaport posted:

A centibillion dollar safety net goes a long way.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oh I'm sure Elon will die of old age with Rosebud X on his lips in a gilded mansion, but I'm curious to see what happens to the bird-x-site as he keeps larping his god-king fantasies.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

haveblue posted:

He's probably in violation of a bunch of ordinances now, so it goes away we hope

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

When does he get shot by the husband of a ex he never got over

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFIZleBSPI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tweeter

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

When does he get shot by the husband of a x he never got over

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

According to a friend of mine who walks by that building every day on his way to work, the sign is literally being held down with sandbags.

That's ... that's going to be an issue if it gets windy in San Francisco one day.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Timby posted:

According to a friend of mine who walks by that building every day on his way to work, the sign is literally being held down with sandbags.

That's ... that's going to be an issue if it gets windy in San Francisco one day.

Yeah, there was a picture earlier but here it is again

I assume this is his attempted equivalent of 'I'm not touching yooooou' with the laws about installing signs. It's not installed, it's just sitting on top! You can put things on your roof! :hmmwrong:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Equally likely that all the good installers refused to do it without a permit

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

haveblue posted:

Equally likely that all the good installers refused to do it without a permit

While true, if there's a choice between 'because Elon was stupid' and any other reason at all, I'm guessing dumb Elon every time.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I doubt they even went to installers, a few software engineers got given a way-too-low budget and told to do it themselves

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That's gonna kill somebody, isn't it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I assume he came up with this while on speed

https://twitter.com/popcrave/status/1685884488814059520?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
“I went down blazing in a real glory hole on X”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Isn't Tumblr's promotion system called "Blaze"?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are they gonna do, sue?

...oh.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
a few days ago I went "waitaminute, a decent chunk of the people on twitter that I keep up with I also keep up with on tumblr/cohost" and so uninstalled the app and only really check things out on my nsfw alt. To my horror tho when I checked out my feed on said alt, I discovered that my "following" feed is now no longer chronological.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

The X has been cast down according to ABC.

https://abc7ny.com/twitter-x-sign-taken-down-bright-light-sf/13578182/

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ardryn posted:

The X has been cast down according to ABC.

Can't even brighten peoples lives anymore. Wokeness gone mad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is an ex X

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The scarlet checkmark of giving $8 to the world's most racist billionaire.

https://twitter.com/xDaily/status/1686607824397201408?s=20

https://twitter.com/xDaily/status/1686608931173376003?s=20

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Soon, you'll be able to make your Tesla look like a Toyota.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will their posts still be promoted? I’ll never figure out why sunglasses-in-truck-cab divorced dad guy is always the first reply to every Biden post, telling him to suck it. Very smooth, Uncle Don.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All it does is turn off the label. You'll still be a blue check, and everyone will still know it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and as far as I know they are not changing the whole ‘blue checks get reply visibility’ thing

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and as far as I know they are not changing the whole ‘blue checks get reply visibility’ thing

This is the one that finally got me to delete the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1688168662773960704?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 6, 2023