Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I thought about the 440 box but don’t the masks expire? idk if I could go through them fast enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Does anyone have a link to that Applebees transition welcome back video?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

The Oldest Man posted:

Do they get a text message that it's time or something? How do they know

I presume it to be the same way politicians start to get all antsy and talking up deflections when there's tension in the air, the same way presidents start wars when their numbers are tanking, and the same way capitalism starts wildly spinning out distractions and consent-manufacturing in response to social tension even though more than 90% of it is run by failsons too stupid to read the room. The natural evolution of our society as a process creates predictable but abstruse feedback mechanisms that don't require the explicit understanding of the people involved in them. So as soon as the first signals of a wave start coming in, people getting sick, coughing, articles questioning the lack of testing, a few people start to relieve the tension of having to think about this thing they're certain isn't true or doesn't matter by being very vocal about how it isn't true or doesn't matter to reestablish normality. Across a large enough number of people, you can divine some data from seemingly ridiculous sources.

See also, the Yankee Candle Index.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

biceps crimes posted:

I thought about the 440 box but don’t the masks expire? idk if I could go through them fast enough

way back when, studies were shared into the efficiency of N95s before, on, 1 yr after, and I think, 10 years after. there was some slight breakdown in efficiency at the 10-year mark but it still handily beat the n95 standard.

that’s all iirc of course. I’m sure someone more organized than me (can’t get my Evernote notebook into OneDrive and I hate it) has the article handy though. it was convincing enough that I haven’t worried about expiration dates on PPE since.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Though, worth noting the YCI may not be as reliable as it used to be; if I've understood correctly, loss of sense of smell is more highly correlated with older variants than the current crop.

then again a lot of people are REALLY invested in trying to deny illness exists at all now so maybe they're going out to try and huff candles at the height of their symptoms, idk

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 76 days!

post COVID posted:

IDT, the largest provider of synthetic DNA in the US, does actually check and reject orders for sequences from BSL-3+ pathogens, I think.

but yeah it's pretty much the wild west out here, there is relatively little barrier to whipping up known viruses in a lab. engineering a more virulent or lethal form of a virus is still a difficult / impossible task tho afaik

Hard to see why anyone would bother, unless they had a program as massive as the one the Soviets ran up in the 1970s.

Mother Nature's natural bioweapons can get as nastily fatal as anyone might want.

The area where human bioweapons engineers really earn their pay is in
  • Weaponization, since most pathogens don't take kindly to the things that must be done to them to make them
    • stick to the insides of people's lungs,
    • aerosolize really well, and
    • survive the process of being shipped to target
  • Testing the weaponized pathogen. Is your shiny new weaponized pathogen really a weapon, or is it a dud? How do you know, and how does your boss know?
  • Specialized delivery systems. What do you think will happen to a couple of hundred pounds of weaponized pathogen when the nose cone of the rocket it was loaded onto goes through re-entry? Yeah, it gets cooked. And you end up shooting blanks.
  • Testing the system: everything from pathogen growth through weaponization to delivery systems, as a total package.
This ends up costing a shitload of money, and you have to hire literally thousands of people. Tens of thousands, when you add in all the people doing utterly mundane jobs to support all the scientists, engineers, and military people.

And since you are going to break so many treaties it's not even funny, absolutely every one of your tens of thousands of hires MUST be vetted. Get this even a little bit wrong and you can end up with a Vladimir Pasechnik.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 76 days!

Oh yeah, Ramshaw-Jackson mousepox.

That scared the holy living poo poo out of me the first time I read about it.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Shoot, I'm trying to find it and it looks like the original tweet has been deleted.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Can anyone think of a particularly good article / piece that frames our COVID response / "living your life" / not wearing N95's as a disability rights issue / not listening to disability activists?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
are you thinking like a Nate Holdren piece?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

tuyop posted:

are you thinking like a Nate Holdren piece?

Yeah, something like that. I have a bunch of leftist pieces saved but can't seem to find one that quite fits, and I swear there were some aside from the Pandemic of Ableist Language one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/emilygraymd_mph/status/1685144823404367873?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

very powerful

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Anything from the death panel people, they focus on disability quite a lot because they have a good perspective due to Bea's condition.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Anything from the death panel people, they focus on disability quite a lot because they have a good perspective due to Bea's condition.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about this one.

https://thenewinquiry.com/blog/mask-off/

lol at Biden pretending he was going to fight that judge on mask mandates

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wastewater Data

Cities showing 100,000% Growth over past 15 days
Long Island, NY +2,147,843%
Buffalo, NY +258,981%
El Paso, TX +163k%

Cities showing 10,000% Growth over past 15 days
Houston +48,681
Waukegan +11,505%
Detroit +10,568%

Cities showing 1,000% Growth over past 15 days
Dover, DE +5,347%
New Haven, CT +4,5692
Worcester, MA +3,730
Rochester, NH +3,019
St. Louis +2,616
Asheville, NC +2m533
Laredo, TX +1,633
Topeka +1,558
Durham, NC +1,404%
Queens +1,279
Charlotte, NC +1,195%
Kansas City, MO +1,123%

To put it in other terms - there are 573 sites showing 15 day increases, 365 after multiple site locations are removed. Alaska is the only state not represented.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

tuyop posted:

way back when, studies were shared into the efficiency of N95s before, on, 1 yr after, and I think, 10 years after. there was some slight breakdown in efficiency at the 10-year mark but it still handily beat the n95 standard.

that’s all iirc of course. I’m sure someone more organized than me (can’t get my Evernote notebook into OneDrive and I hate it) has the article handy though. it was convincing enough that I haven’t worried about expiration dates on PPE since.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/ppecase/pdfs/PPE-CASE-Aggregated-Stockpile-Study-03252020-508.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/ppecase/pdfs/PPE-CASE-Stockpile-5-v2-03012020-508.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/ppecase/ppe-case-p2020-0105.html

https://search.cdc.gov/search/index.html?query=Performance%20of%20Stockpiled%20Air-Purifying%20Respirators&siteLimit=NIOSH&dpage=1

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

working on my steam games backlog. gotta make space for relaxation in these troubling times.

::installs the ultimately fine but forgotten The Bureau: XCOM Declassified::

drat, what an out there note to find in an abandoned car dealership:

real sick sci fi poo poo.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
That game had so much wasted potential. Great premise, interesting ideas when it came to gameplay, and I remember it looking really great too, it just sort of fell flat.

(Also if you're looking for another XCOM like, Julian Gollop's Phoenix Point is pretty good. It's essentially XCOM 2, only more difficult, a little more oldschool, with the antagonist being Lovecraftian cosmic horrors instead of Greys. The DLC really smoothed out a lot of the criticisms people had of it at release.)

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Pingui posted:

The alternate headline encapsulates the content of this article well:

Don’t call it a comeback (because it never really left)
It’s not a rise, but it is an increase! It’s not a wave, but there is more water!
“Smoldering along” lmao ..like a nice little fire? And we all know that fires do not intensify or spread, and quietly and quickly put themselves out

I’m losing it over here jerry
https://i.imgur.com/M1wfn0m.gifv

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
saw this and immediately thought of this thread lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

:getin: the pot.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

lmao they're actually going with Heat Debt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They’re going to let thousands of poor, young, elderly, and disabled people cook to death, and they will gush about how wonderful it is that the vast majority of the dead had comorbidities.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Get sick to be well. Get hot to stay cool.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

turning up my thermostat one degree a day until I am impervious to fire

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The tweet has been deleted, but I found it here (at 10:33 and 10:34):
https://archive.org/details/CNNW_20200706_170000_CNN_Newsroom/start/1980/end/2040

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

LMAO

You CAN survive torture! here's how!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Supposedly the current record holder in most mutated (found in an immunocompromised patient, so probably just a cryptic variant geared for this one person. Google translate, as English sources were lackluster on details):

https://kupang.tribunnews.com/2023/07/29/113-mutasi-covid-19-delta-baru-terdeteksi-di-jakarta posted:

113 New Delta Covid-19 Mutations Detected in Jakarta

A new Delta variant of Covid-19 was detected in Jakarta , Indonesia .

The new Covid-19 variant found in Asia is the most mutated version of the virus, according to scientists.

The Delta variant metamorphosed into a swab from a patient in Jakarta , Indonesia .

This Covid-19 variant of Delta has 113 different mutations, 37 of which affect the spike protein – the part used by the virus to attach itself to humans.

The new strain has been labeled "most extreme", with the Omicron variant having around 50 mutations by comparison.

It is believed to have emerged from a chronic infection case before being submitted to the global Covid database in early July.

Chronic infections usually occur in individuals with compromised health, such as chronic illnesses or undergoing cancer therapy.

While the threat of a new outbreak is possible, top doctors believe there is no reason to panic – it is highly unlikely to trigger more lockdowns.
(..)
“This highlights the problem of “living with the virus.”
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The new Covid-19 variant found in Asia is the most mutated version of the virus, according to scientists.

A doctor told me that this implies that it is the most mild, because it is a law of nature that pathogens inevitable evolve to cause milder disease in their hosts. :blessed:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"You can build immunity to heat!"

"Doesn't your body start failing at some point?"

"BOOTSTRAPS!"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This article is amazingly dumb. You are welcome.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/29/covid-vaccine-what-uptake-of-new-shots-could-look-like.html posted:

New Covid vaccines are coming to the U.S. this fall, but uptake may be low — Here’s why
  • New Covid vaccines are coming to the U.S. this fall — but many Americans may not take them.
  • Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax are slated to deliver new single-strain coronavirus shots targeting the omicron subvariant XBB.1.5 in September.
  • Experts told CNBC that public health officials and providers could potentially increase uptake of the shots by communicating that they will likely become a routine part of health care moving forward.
A new round of Covid vaccines is coming to the U.S. this fall — but many Americans may not roll up their sleeves and take one.

That’s largely because pandemic fatigue, the belief that Covid is “over” and confusion over personal risk levels could deter some people from getting an additional shot, experts in public health and health policy told CNBC.
(..)
Pandemic fatigue, confusion
Fatigue over the pandemic and the general belief that Covid is “over” could potentially hinder the uptake of new shots this fall, experts said.

A June poll conducted by Gallup found that 64% of Americans think the pandemic is over in the U.S. and only 18% are worried about contracting the virus.

Ipsos and Axios released a survey with similar findings in May, the same month the U.S. ended the national Covid public health emergency amid a downward trend in cases, hospitalizations and deaths.
(..)
Kates said it’s “still hard to gauge” how many uninsured people will benefit from those efforts.

She also noted that a shift in access could potentially lower uptake among the group. “Somebody might be worried that they won’t get their vaccine covered or they’ll be asked to pay for it when they can’t afford it. That could be a big deterrent,” Kates said.
(..)
I’m not sure that a person’s insurance status was necessarily the driver of the low uptake we’ve seen, or whether it will be the driver of potentially low uptake in the fall as well,” Chu told CNBC.

Chu is a professor in epidemiology...

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i acclimatize to heat every year in may so that i can survive working in the summer but saying it's a climate solution is stupid af. also you have to be pretty healthy, so it's more abelist bullshit

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
UK is also experiencing an increase.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-cases-tests-coronavirus-mutation-b2384139.html posted:

Fears over Covid spike as sales of tests shoot up
Slight increase in cases of virus as well as hospital admission rates seen by surveillance systems

Fears of a spike in Covid cases have been ignited as sales of tests have shot up by a third.

Health officials have said they are closely monitoring rates as an increase in cases as well as hospital admissions have been seen by surveillance systems, while people are experiencing more coughs, sore throats and headaches.

Estimated case numbers jumped by almost 200,000 this month, from 606,656 predicted cases on 4 July to 785,980 on 27 July, according to The Zoe Health Study, which estimates figures for UK Covid infections.

Meanwhile, coronavirus test sales in Boots were 33 per cent higher in the week ending 22 July compared to three weeks earlier, according to the retailer.

Professor Lawrence Young, a virologist at the University of Warwick, told The Telegraph the reported rise in cases is “probably the tip of the iceberg as routine testing is no longer freely available”. He added: “It shows something we all know, that the virus is still lurking and that it is dangerous to be complacent.”
(..)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

i acclimatize to heat every year in may so that i can survive working in the summer but saying it's a climate solution is stupid af. also you have to be pretty healthy, so it's more abelist bullshit

Climate Solutions

Just Start Culling People

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.inverse.com/health/covid-19-creeping-back-summer-uptick-in-cases?ref=thefuturist

This is the fourth news outlet in two days I've seen saying "Covid-19 cases aren't anything to worry about!" so everyone should probably be worried.

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

The Covid-19 pandemic is no longer a global emergency. Over the past year, we’ve seen cases continue to fall. In fact, earlier this month, the number of deaths per day (not just from Covid-19) in the United States was considered on par with normal years. But in recent weeks, cases have started to climb. Is this something to worry about?

lol not a single mention that we got back to "normal" deaths per day by raising the amount of death that's "normal"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1685286512806551552?t=6qdxzeruRMrRfZiBLbAkjQ&s=19

Endemic! *click*

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/woman-shot-outside-texas-roadhouse-collier-township-another-woman-custody/MBZPWCYN2BATTKGEIERY3V472I/

quote:

Woman shot outside Texas Roadhouse in Collier Township, another woman in custody

COLLIER TOWNSHIP, Pa. — A woman was shot outside of a Texas Roadhouse in Collier Township.

Allegheny County dispatchers say police and medics were called to the restaurant on Washington Pike at 3:50 p.m. on Friday.

Officials say the woman was shot by another woman who has been taken into custody.

Restaurant employees say the business was not impacted and confirmed that the incident happened in the parking lot, not inside the building.

The victim was taken to a hospital.

“We pulled up and there were four or five police cars on scene,” said Carmela Weaver of Kennedy Township.

The gunfire erupted as many people were making their way inside the restaurant to eat.

“There was a lot of blood and when we got here there were two sandals, like flip flops,” said Rich Mitoch, a Texas Roadhouse patron. “I asked the policeman if I could go inside, he says, ‘Yeah.’”

Weaver is thankful no one else was hurt. She said she and her family were on their way to Texas Roadhouse for dinner and got there just after the shooting happened.

“Your daily activities, or things you do for regular enjoyment with your family, especially with a one-year old - take for granted that you’re going to be safe and that’s not always the case,” she said.

The woman who was shot is expected to recover. Police are not yet releasing her name or the suspect’s name.

The most important thing is that the treats continue to flow

Apr 7, 2003

that means you can't do anything about it and shouldn't worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS