Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

titty_baby_ posted:

It is really funny but it sounds like dude has some stuff he's concerned and embarrassed about and she really doesn't appreciate that

Yeah making fun of your partner's stutter and body and/or body image issues is really funny stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mushmouth posted:

Nahhh, she was imitating his stutter. That's kind of a big sign that this isn't the first time she's been a colossal dick to him.

Yeah, this is what took it from “kinda weird but whatever” to “gently caress this lady” for me

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

“T.t.t.t.today junior” was a great joke in that it let people immediately reveal themselves as assholes for years to come by repeating it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Okay one more while I'm on my lunch break

AITA for shouting at my gf for looking at my Reddit search history?

Extremely funny but the girlfriend is the rear end in a top hat here.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

therobit posted:

LOL get hosed haole.
am i the haole?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for not giving my sister my prom photos?

judge’y

Normally I get very judge’y about bizarre apostrophe usage (Steve and I's or fiance') but I quite like that one

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

Man that's how you end up with evil older rich fucks like 3O cause when they attempt to have normal friends that can't buy entire businesses some jerk pretends do be friends for money.

That's an unavoidable consequence of growing up rich, and it's the only real consequence rich people have to deal with so I think it's ok

OP shouldn't have made it a secret payment, that's silly. The whole group should sit down with this guy and ask him about chipping in a larger share like maybe he always pays the tip

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ya dangus posted:

Yeah making fun of your partner's stutter and body and/or body image issues is really funny stuff.

Where did OP say they had a stutter? They just said she was stuttering while imitating him.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

titty_baby_ posted:

Where did OP say they had a stutter? They just said she was stuttering while imitating him.

Stuttering TO imitate him, not while imitating him.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

Stuttering TO imitate him, not while imitating him.

That still doesn't necessarily mean they have a stutter. I read the situation like a schoolyard bully mocking someone repeating back what they said that way. It also appears they're not a native English speaker, so it could be a wording thing. I looked in the thread and post history and OP didn't say anything to confirm or deny that they actually have a stutter

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 29, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

the sons has a partner but the daughter has a boyfriend. triggering my homophobe alarm

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for not giving my sister my prom photos?

Are the christians okay

No, but "honestly no amount of books and prayers can make you not sin. The only thing that matters is that you learn from an experience" is probably the most OK thing I've seen a reddit christian say.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I guess we technically don't know whether that OP has a stutter, but using their own description of their partner stuttering to imitate them more to theorize that they might not actually have one seems like a weird reach even for this thread. And pointless too, the partner's obviously being lovely even aside from that point.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

titty_baby_ posted:

That still doesn't necessarily mean they have a stutter. I read the situation like a schoolyard bully mocking someone repeating back what they said that way. It also appears they're not a native English speaker, so it could be a wording thing. I looked in the thread and post history and OP didn't say anything to confirm or deny that they actually have a stutter
That extremely normal thing people do IRL, pretend their partner has a stutter solely to mock them for having one

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

titty_baby_ posted:

I read the situation like a schoolyard bully mocking someone repeating back what they said...

Oh in that case now I see why you thought it was really funny

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Next up, “AITA for doing an impression of my boyfriend’s thick Italian accent? He’s Burmese and doesn’t have one btw”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s okay to make fun of stuttering as long as you don’t do it to someone that stutters.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I demand a thorough questionnaire on ethnic origin for all audience members before I'll do a stand up set, just in case any of those people try to sneak in.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ya dangus posted:

Oh in that case now I see why you thought it was really funny

the funny part was the worried young mans search history, but i guess we all interpret things differently

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s okay to make fun of stuttering as long as you don’t do it to someone that stutters.

AmiYumi posted:

Next up, “AITA for doing an impression of my boyfriend’s thick Italian accent? He’s Burmese and doesn’t have one btw”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Any time I meet someone new, they only seem to be talking to me because they think I'm my sister and want to have some nighttime fun. As a result, I don't have any friends.

drat the sister must be the Lionel Messi of sex for her to have that reputation to the point that literally every single person in their town is horny for her, to the point that asexual people and straight women no longer exist.

edit: and gay men

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 29, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

take_it_slow posted:

am i the haole?

Spending my Saturday reading and responding to posts from 18 months ago

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That was a pretty good joke, although I don't know if it was worth workshopping for a year and a half

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

/r/relationships by proxy of /r/pets?

quote:

(vent) BF is a terrible pet owner.

removed.

lady,

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 29, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Give it away to a good home and see how long it takes him to notice

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

artsy fartsy posted:

Okay one more while I'm on my lunch break

AITA for shouting at my gf for looking at my Reddit search history?

She told me to “get a grip”

Like your foreskin has while strangling your penis!

But seriously, dude needs to see a doctor if possible. Making fun of him doesn’t help him with a chronic discomfort and/or pain or any of the other things described on this site by goons that have required medical intervention due to foreskin issues.

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 29, 2023

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I thought we had a ban on depressing animal abuse stories?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Captain Fargle posted:

I thought we had a ban on depressing animal abuse stories?

poo poo, is there? i'll go back and remove it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Bored posted:

Like your foreskin has while strangling your penis!

But seriously, dude needs to see a doctor if possible. Making fun of him doesn’t help him with a chronic discomfort and/or pain or any of the other things described on this site by goons that have required medical intervention due to foreskin issues.

Phimosis is absolutely a thing, and if it's not caught while you're still in your early-mid teens then just about the only option doctors will suggest is circumcision. And it can apparently be extremely uncomfortable.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my husband’s cousins if they went out with my husband, they would have to take our son with them?

quote:

Our son is 2 and right now he’s going through a phase where his dad is his absolute favourite person and he’s practically glued to him. It’s come at a good time since we’re visiting my husband’s family so he’s available to spend more time with our son than he normally would be.

My husband’s cousins wanted to go out on the boat with my husband. They were discussing it in front of me and I let them know they would have to take my son with them if my husband went. They told me it wasn’t a good idea for them to take him and made up some lies about how it would be dangerous for him to go with them. I suggested they do something else then because my son wouldn’t stay in if his dad was going out. They kept trying to convince me to keep my son home and even asked me why he couldn’t stay with me at one point. Eventually my father-in-law told them they could only use the boat if they took my son too which is the only reason they finally backed down and agreed. They weren’t happy about it, though.

My husband wasn’t there during the conversation as he was bathing our son but he didn’t seem concerned about taking our son on the boat which is why I know they were just making stuff up so he couldn’t go.

AITA?

Sounds like a great gameplan that can't end in a disaster.

AITA for fostering my nephew against my brothers wishes?

quote:

This is a throwaway because i don’t want people outside of family to know this is me

My (44 M) younger brother T (37 M) and I had been in a huge fight in the last few days due to a recent event that happened in my family

To give you some context, T had a girlfriend in his early 20s. We didn’t had a lot of interactions and they broke up. He never told me exactly why

Well, turns out he got her pregnant and when she told him, he simply said he didn’t wanted nothing to do with her or the baby. She gave birth to L(15M), no one in my family knew about it since they never spoke again

The information that i got from his social worker isn’t a lot, but this is everything I managed to gather: L and his mother lived together for two years before he was taken away from her due to neglect. Since then, L went from foster home to foster home. All I can say is that the system wasn’t nice on him and he endured a lot in it. He has partial hearing loss, apparently has PTSD and behavioral issues due to his surroundings

Im not sure how they got the information that we are his bio family, probably his bio mother finally told on T. I don’t know if Im angrier about him never telling us that he got another girl pregnant or that he simply send her away

Anyways, his social worker talked to my brother and asked him to take L in. T asked for a DNA test and its 100% his child. L was introduced to my family and, honestly, L is a lovely kid. Everyone thought he would be difficult to deal with, but he’s just a kid who desperately needs a family and somewhere safe away everything he endured

But, T said that he was not going to take L in. He explained that he has another family now. To say i was angry is an understatement. I just can’t understand how dare him, knowing everything he went through and knowing that if he says no, L will be forced back into this system that failed him countless times, to reject him

I fought a lot with my brother, but he wouldn’t budge, saying that he can’t bring an unknown child with mental problems to his house that he has small children in

So yesterday, I reached out to his social worker and asked her if I could be the one to foster L. I explained to her my brothers motives (about the small children) and told her that I wouldn’t have that problem since my children are older than L and it would be better for L to get used to his family that way. They liked the idea and started to look into it, and my brother was notified of that

We got in a new argument. He said that I have no right to do what I am doing, that L is not real family. I said that he is rejecting his rights as a father to L, so he couldn’t tell me what to do with his child

My brother got involved. He scolded T, but said I over stepped when I asked to foster him, since he’s still Ts child and it was obvious that he doesn’t wants L around

Im not changing my mind if im actually the rear end in a top hat, i wont let L into this system again, but I want to if AITA

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 29, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The lieutenant in charge of my, uh, company I guess, when I did my national service, had a veeery pronounced stutter. People who found it funny, found it funny exactly once. He didn't give a gently caress about his stutter he just YELLED through it. W-W-W-WHAT THE F-F-F-gently caress IS SO F-F-FUNNY, RECRUIT!?!? And he was like 1,6 meters tall, absolute unit of a guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I find my stutter weird because most of the time it's not there. Definitely an anxiety sort of thing, sometimes when talking with new people a word will land wrong on my tongue and I need to keep having a go until I get it right. With people I'm more comfortable with I just plow through it. It's so rare that when I do have an issue sometimes people think I'm making it up.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Bruceski posted:

I find my stutter weird because most of the time it's not there. Definitely an anxiety sort of thing, sometimes when talking with new people a word will land wrong on my tongue and I need to keep having a go until I get it right. With people I'm more comfortable with I just plow through it. It's so rare that when I do have an issue sometimes people think I'm making it up.

I have a speech impediment that turns r's into w's kinda, think "car" into "cow." Started speech therapy for it in school when I was 5 and kept going for about 6-7? years. It's ALMOST entirely gone. They did good work. No complaints. Plus I got out of class a lot?

Toss some anxiety into the mix and BOOM i'm back to a world where I have to specify "cow with an "r", c-a-r, not cow." and i'm trying to pre-think sentences to avoid r's etc.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

They told me it wasn’t a good idea for them to take him and made up some lies about how it would be dangerous for him to go with them. 

It really is not a great idea to take a 2 year old out on a boat, what does she think they were lying about?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Desert Bus posted:

I have a speech impediment that turns r's into w's kinda, think "car" into "cow." Started speech therapy for it in school when I was 5 and kept going for about 6-7? years. It's ALMOST entirely gone. They did good work. No complaints. Plus I got out of class a lot?

Toss some anxiety into the mix and BOOM i'm back to a world where I have to specify "cow with an "r", c-a-r, not cow." and i'm trying to pre-think sentences to avoid r's etc.

I did some speech therapy in elementary school as well, I think it was for a lisp? I don't remember well but I know I get a drawl when I get tired so maybe it's related to that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for fostering my nephew against my brothers wishes?

OP posted:

Im not expecting any kind of child support from him, to be honest.

Me and my wife can afford to take care of another child and demanding money from him would probably just give me migraine. I just want the best for my family, including my nephew

someone else posted:

It'll be the county demanding money for him because they pay foster parents. It's not about you, he'll end up paying now he's been identified as the father.

Anyway, both of OP's brothers are pieces of poo poo imo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

QuarkJets posted:

Anyway, both of OP's brothers are pieces of poo poo imo
No 'imo' needed - they are objectively pieces of poo poo.

OP (and his wife) own though. Always love to see people step up to take care of someone they aren't required to.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

tactlessbastard posted:

It really is not a great idea to take a 2 year old out on a boat, what does she think they were lying about?

They wanted to be able to drink and/or smoke on the boat

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bruceski posted:

I developed a stutter for about 6 very stressful months when I was an adult even, it was absolutely the most bizarre thing. Just disappeared one day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My dyslexia/ADHD makes me often pause or speak slowly with a weird cadence to make sure my mouth is going to match the words I want to say, or trying to figure out what word to even use because my brain can only process one word at a time, and that really pisses people off sometimes. Then they yell "Can you get to the goddamn POINT already?!?" which then triggers a stutter because now I'm freaked out and can no longer focus on pronouncing words properly anymore. Or a total nonverbal shutdown. Those are always fun :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my boyfriend what I think of the volunteer organisation he wants to join

quote:

My boyfriend (28M) and I (27F) have been together for 5 years now. He cares deeply about men's rights but has never been extreme about it and always seemed to respect feminism as well. It is mostly issues about mental health, being perceived as threatening, stereotypes, being more persecuted by law enforcement etc.

Recently he joined a club with some of his friends that was about men's empowerment and I warned him that it seemed like it was not something he would like but he joined despite this. However about a month and a half both he and his friends quit as it was not what they were expecting. It was just a dorky thing with senseless rituals and speeches, and no actual activism or self improvement.

His friends came up with the idea of forming their own small group and running it how they want. Most of it seemed ok however he mentioned that they plan on actively trying to find women who have committed crimes and gathering evidence to get them prosecuted, it seems to be simple things like tax fraud from business owners, driving violations etc but they want to target only women. Their reasoning is that more men are in jails and get prosecuted because the police give women especially pretty white girls a pass.

I told him I would not advice him do this and that it would end up just like the first thing he joined and that he could lose his job if news about this group started to spread. I did tell him however that it was his choice.

He called me an AH and said it is not really a choice and that my only reason for saying that was to manipulate him into not joining and not doing the things he cares about. While I can see why he thinks that it really was not my intention, I just do not want it to affect his career or end up being a disappointment like the first group.

Just what we need, a special Batmen team for the case!

OP adds in comments:

quote:

I dont think they would go to jail either since it does not seem like they would find any serious crimes but it could get them into IRS audits and police harassment especially since one of his friends has many cop friends.