Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hubbert posted:

Potential death rate is estimated to be 14,000, with 860,000 cases of hospitalization in the Greater Metropolitan Area of Phoenix.

This presumes a scenario that the power is out during a historical heat wave condition for a solid 48 hours, and the grid is slowly assumed to come back online in sections over the next 72 hours.

My source is that I made it the gently caress up.

Sounds mild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

died WITH heat stroke

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Corsec posted:

I appreciate the attempt, but that is far too cheery and upbeat to satisfy my doomlust. It is lyrically doomer, but not aesthetically doomer. Aesthetically doomer music makes you want to sob bitterly, rather than hum along to the chorus.

long history fambam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rKC7ElkTUQ

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

jetz0r posted:

Cops got plenty of masks for tear gassing people. And that's the only time they bothered to use them.

They're also the only profession that always counts COVID as an on the job death.

I'm pretty sure every time a cop dies regardless of the cause it is counted as an on-the-job death.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
WORLD IS A gently caress
410,757,864,530 ON-THE-JOB DEATHS

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Corsec posted:

I appreciate the attempt, but that is far too cheery and upbeat to satisfy my doomlust. It is lyrically doomer, but not aesthetically doomer. Aesthetically doomer music makes you want to sob bitterly, rather than hum along to the chorus.

there are two genres of doom music: one where you :crackping:, and one where you :rubby:

these are the latter

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I saw another locust today.

Touched it and it sprouted a pair of moth like wings and flew away.

I know we have brown grasshoppers in the United States, and I know they have a locust like phase, but I don't think that's what this is because I've never seen a grasshopper with wings like this. Third one I've seen this week.

Probably premature to say the rocky mountain locust is back but I sure am seeing a lot of bugs that look a hell of a lot like them

Edit: looking into it it might be a high plains locust a couple hundred miles outside of it's range. They last swarmed in the 1930s!

Don’t like it, looks smug

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Koirhor posted:

so at what point does a sane adult with children make the decision to move?

also what does the white spot mean exactly

Move to Phoenix? ASAP. prices are just going up up up. should have moved 5 years ago.

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskzZjJjQg0&t=25s

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

second last step should be “all the failed geoengineering while crying”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Crossposting from the politoons thread because I think this might be the actual first time I've seen a verified unironic "IT'S CALLED SUMMER"

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

There it is, on the newspaper

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
Nero truly had an economist's heart

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
There is cringe in these heatwaves

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hubbert posted:

Potential death rate is estimated to be 14,000, with 860,000 cases of hospitalization in the Greater Metropolitan Area of Phoenix.

This presumes a scenario that the power is out during a historical heat wave condition for a solid 48 hours, and the grid is slowly assumed to come back online in sections over the next 72 hours.

My source is that I made it the gently caress up.

what % were vaccinated?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

are we in the Oops or the gently caress right now?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

jab?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

smoobles posted:

what % were vaccinated?

i don't believe you can vaccinate against heat

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

forever lmaos that global warming (climate change) was identified in the 19th century as well as its causes and consequences

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think the left came up with some really good answers to social questions in the 19th century, too. most of the development in that area (as far as having an effect on political economy) since, has been on the right, from Keynesianism to neoliberalism to fascism. that’s why they’re winning

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

smoobles posted:

The black line in between them.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

smoobles posted:

gently caress happens when deep ocean currents stop

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

carbon footprint is such an incredibly powerful brainworm

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

smoobles posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure we're fully out of the "Climate change isn't real" stage yet

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

smoobles posted:

depends on where you live, it’s oops in dc and gently caress everywhere else

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

tuyop posted:

I think the left came up with some really good answers to social questions in the 19th century, too. most of the development in that area (as far as having an effect on political economy) since, has been on the right, from Keynesianism to neoliberalism to fascism. that’s why they’re winning

are you suggesting that the dominance of the right is due to them being better at completing their homework before debate club?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1685338187927859200?s=20

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

clearly it's the world's largest new crater lake that's filling, which is good news for the real estate market

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

people love lakehouses because you can just jump into the lake to escape death when the fires come

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

stumblebum posted:

are you suggesting that the dominance of the right is due to them being better at completing their homework before debate club?

lol no, they developed ideas that responded to the situation better than the left. it also helps that their cause is the one that supports power too

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

carbon footprint is such an incredibly powerful brainworm

had a lib friend of a friend blow up at me for being a 'doomer' for saying the climate bill isnt predicted to even reduce the rate of GHG emission growth that much, told me my work in pv research wasnt any help at all and her and the democratic party are fighting the good fight etc.

Then I learned shes a marketing person for BP

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

tuyop posted:

lol no, they developed ideas that responded to the situation better than the left. it also helps that their cause is the one that supports power too

i'd like to hear more about which ideas on the right are better than the ones on the left

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
we're saved

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1685271041608744960

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

building up my tolerance to bullets by shooting myself with progressively larger ones

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Wow, so I've posted at length about El Nino in this thread. You can view my other posts for that information.

Some really crazy poo poo has been happening right now with that:

This is huge. I won't even bother explaining what this chart is, all you need to know is that we are currently in the beginning to mid stages of a second major supercharge cycle for this year's El Nino.

It's going to be a pretty crazy winter if the rest of this active event verifies like the model is charting (and it's been doing pretty good, so I think it will, but we'll see)!

It will take several weeks to see the warm water hit the Galapagos area (known colloquially as nino 1.2 region) but it's going to charge us up right as we go into fall. Woo baby.

Unless something seriously changes, we are looking at the strongest classic-style (far EP based canonical) El Nino event since 1997. Only real question in my mind at this point is how much it will grow from here. After 3 years of La Nina, there is a LOT of latent warm water in the west pacific to push east. Therefore the top level cap on how strong this El Nino can be, is VERY high.

I'm pretty sad that I chose this year to move from CA to Seattle cuz I would love to be in the thick of it.

The entire world is going to feel the power of this event, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Taima has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Jul 29, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wow covid herd immunity hype machine switched over to heatstroke

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Time to start paying off that heat stroke debt

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Koirhor posted:

wow covid herd immunity hype machine switched over to heatstroke

also while i have no doubt that its probably true you can increase heat tolerance by a number of differnet mechanisms, i do not think that the populations that are most susceptible to getting heatstroke are likely to, or even be able to, do those sorts of preventative behaviors

like are 70 year olds going to start a process of heat therapy? is a retirement home going to have coordinated heat exercise days? like, whats the liability the first time a 90 year old has a heart attack because you're doing a system-wide cool for the summer heatstroke practice

bonkers to see this stuff start getting posted already, too

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if you wish really hard then you'll be able to cool yourself down with the power of positive thinking even when the so-called "wet bulb" temperature rises above body temperature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

fosborb posted:

i have literally never talked about broad climate change patterns with my 7 year old, and tonight, after reading and songs and good night sleep tights, she propped herself up wide awake and said, "can we stop climate change?"

so uh lol

the overall gist of the ensuing conversation was, "you know how we say you can't take a rock home off the trail because if everyone took a rock home off the trail there'd be no trail left at all? well, it doesn't really matter if a company comes in and just makes the entire woods a big parking lot"

A few days ago we were doing an activity to teach our 3 year old about pollution and while we were able to filter the small cup, the kiddie pool just wouldn’t get clean. Attacking it, scooping it, and dropping in coffee filters in didn’t work. Eventually the only answer was not to have polluted in the first place.