Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 02/13–20/1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Angular Cyrus posted:

Underworld LA Weekly 02/20/1997

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I don't think Milholland's Popeye is a very good representation of the brand as it was, but I do kinda like it anyway.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I like that Driver's friends are being supportive even though his dad can't be 100% perfect :gbsmith:

Also break Copper down enough so he joins the Demons

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm largely okay with Something Popeye. I used to read his webcomic but I fell off of it years ago.
I do agree with the whole Swee'Pea Talks Now being bad though. Feels like he's just Stewie from family guy with a smaller head.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's uneven but I think it does have its moments.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Green Intern posted:

I don't think Milholland's Popeye is a very good representation of the brand as it was, but I do kinda like it anyway.

I feel like a good way to put it is that his strips are generally competently executed, tell a reasonably good joke, and (except for his difficulties portraying quick action) well-enough drawn. Where it falls flat is that he doesn't really get the characters right, and it comes off as just his normal webcomic work with different art.

Meanwhile the current version of Mark Trail, for comparison, doesn't get the characters even close to their long-standing voices, and is also plotted lazily, drawn badly, and executed worsely.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

e:

Gnoman posted:

I feel like a good way to put it is that his strips are generally competently executed, tell a reasonably good joke, and (except for his difficulties portraying quick action) well-enough drawn. Where it falls flat is that he doesn't really get the characters right, and it comes off as just his normal webcomic work with different art.
Honestly I'm not sure i'd even agree with the "reasonably good joke" part a lot of the time. Before I said it's extremely nothing other than the occasional good joke, but on reflection I can't actually remember the last time it had a joke I found funny at all(and last comic was a real stinker). It's not generally actively bad(at worst it's usually just getting up its own rear end with the Everybody's Extended Families stuff), it's just too :geno: to be good.

It's better than NuTrail but that's not a high bar to clear, and it's definitely worse than NuNancy.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 29, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 25, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
current-day valiant is the prime example of a successor artist who understands the assignment. 1939 popeye has shown me that the primary things i want out of popeye are dream-logic segues into another nonsensical gag that somehow comprises an entire adventure

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm largely okay with Something Popeye. I used to read his webcomic but I fell off of it years ago.
I do agree with the whole Swee'Pea Talks Now being bad though. Feels like he's just Stewie from family guy with a smaller head.
I agree with all of this, it's pretty much Popeye with his prior works voices. I stopped reading Something Positive years ago when it became so much talking, talking, talking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I don't know if this plays in English.

The Finnish word used for developing photographs is the same you'd use for bulking up your muscles or... other parts of your anatomy. Like a penis pump might be advertised as "developing your manhood" or something.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(July 8, 1917)

Little Nemo(December 2, 1906)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 29, 1958)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Medenmath posted:

Gay nonsense and lovemaking in one strip! Wow

My grandpa wanted me to read Prince Valiant in the Sunday paper when I was little but it seemed old and boring. I was just young and boring. Val is great

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
At this point gay as homo had already been in Oxford Dictionary for seven years.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

I don't know if this plays in English.

The Finnish word used for developing photographs is the same you'd use for bulking up your muscles or... other parts of your anatomy. Like a penis pump might be advertised as "developing your manhood" or something.

I'm consistently amazed by your ability to make the puns work. Your English is surely better than mine.

I don't think this one does come off tho. A rarity.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/28/03

Stephen Collins is political today.

for the curious, Lichen:

Brenda Starr 5/27/51 -- new story starting up!

Smokey Stover 12/4/55

Everyday Movies 8/17/36

"Duke, I'm worried. Do you suppose there might be such a thing as sleeping too hard?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/23/41

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

This Guy Loves His Wife the Ocean

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Chee I ain't going back dere, they beat us." "I'll set them straight." lmao at the loving cat o nine tails and the guard just going to club Scarlet over the head from behind. I'd almost call this a rare loss for her in that she did the wrong thing but eh, here's hoping she gets the entire staff of that hellhole replaced.

Jucika "168 - Jucika Tries On A Swimsuit"

"mosdó = bathroom"

"169 - Jucika Wants To Sleep"

Get wrecked idiot.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A couple of times through now, I think Jucika wrecking that radio is my favorite one.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Just Let The Snake Audit Remotely" She Thought To Herself Before Posting The Latest Batch, Quietly Resigned To How loving Asinine A Sentence That Is

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I think he's started talking by the point the Classic Popeye posts are up to, he just doesn't show up much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

juicika trying out the swimsuit is a top-tier juicika face.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Huxley posted:

A couple of times through now, I think Jucika wrecking that radio is my favorite one.

That's the best expression in the second panel.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I'm consistently amazed by your ability to make the puns work. Your English is surely better than mine.

I don't think this one does come off tho. A rarity.
Yeah, it doesn't really work, but it should. Develop should work in this context. I think it's a failure of the English language really.

F Minus

Mark Trail

We didn't need a suspension anyways.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I hope they come around the corner and Savarna is standing there with that grenade launcher looking right at them. FOOOMP

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

It doesn't seem like this is a great way to run a hospital.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

She's back to her old face again.

Luann

Gil Thorp

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Zereth posted:

I think he's started talking by the point the Classic Popeye posts are up to, he just doesn't show up much.

Summer of 1941, the Sailorpedia says. But that's not the half of it, because by the end of the 1950s he was actually walking and wearing pants.

Sagendorf rolled that back somehow.

And no, I'm not bailing out on Olive & Popeye just yet, but yeah, I get where all the criticism is coming from.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts runs down the hierarchy of attachments. (July 31, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 2, 1940)

Out Our Way (June 4-6, 1942)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hostile V posted:

"Just Let The Snake Audit Remotely" She Thought To Herself Before Posting The Latest Batch, Quietly Resigned To How loving Asinine A Sentence That Is

Wait. Isn't she a mouse?

Wait! They were married!?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Yes, Billy. They did.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hippocrass posted:

Wait. Isn't she a mouse?

Wait! They were married!?
Angelique is a rabbit who racefakes as a rat using pheromones and yes she's Kevin's ex-wife who refused to have kids with him so they adopted Lindesfarne and he kept the kid in the divorce.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I'm so tired of this guy talking about his weenier.