Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

did they watch wolf of wall street

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Oppenheimer suggested giving Los Alamos back to the Indians after Trinity a guy in my showing shouted "yeah!"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

starkebn posted:

I finished grinding through the end of Twin Peaks season 2 and watched Fire Walk With Me.

What a waste of time. Once the mystery of Laura's murder is resolved there's just nothing left of interest. A bunch of bullshit soap opera crap. The writing drastically devolves, the acting even becomes over the top like the directing changed severely.

Twin Peaks season 1 and 2 would be seriously improved by just trimming it to anything to do with Cooper and jettisoning the rest.

no joke it was Bob Iger who pushed Lynch to reveal who killed Laura

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Mantis42 posted:

It's a "hank hill's profession is unclear but presumably blue-collar"-level analysis lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

quote:

Lynch and Frost were doing something different with Twin Peaks. It was a much more cinematic, much more open-ended, and much more interesting kind of television show. It remains incredibly influential because of that. The modern conception of "prestige TV" would not exist without it — but to Iger, that was the issue with the show. In his mind, the audience needed to know who killed Laura Palmer, or at least receive some indication that the storyline would be tied up. Lynch was ultimately overruled and agreed to divulge the identity of Laura's killer midway through Season 2.

Unsurprisingly, this caused ratings to plummet. In The Ride of a Lifetime, Iger even said, "After that, the storytelling became a mess. There was no engine propelling the story after the mystery was resolved." The back half of Twin Peaks Season 2 is a mess, and even die-hard fans will admit that. It has no direction, because the show no longer had a reason to go on. Twin Peaks was later moved to a Saturday night airtime, which may as well have been yet another death knell, leading to plummeting ratings. Lynch attempted to save the show with a spectacular finale to Season 2, which did reignite the engine, but that was not enough, and Twin Peaks was canceled. Even a public plea, as well as Lynch giving out Iger's mailing address live on Late Night with David Letterman, was not enough to stop ABC from pulling the plug, although Iger also admitted later in his book that "David might have been right all along."

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh I think revealing the killer and then wrapping up the show at the end of season 2 was a good idea they just didn't have any plan for how to do it. Had it dragged on for 4+ seasons of investigation it would not be remembered so fondly. it was, pardon my saying it, drat fine television though

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

It's a "hank hill's profession is unclear but presumably blue-collar"-level analysis lol

*in the most annoying contrarian film guy voice possible* actually as assistant manager hank works in the strickland propane back offices and is therefore white collar

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

*in the most annoying contrarian film guy voice possible* actually as assistant manager hank works in the strickland propane back offices and is therefore white collar

chris rock's character was the real blue-collar worker

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Snyder made the feminist masterpiece Sucker Punch

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

refer to the thread title

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

At the theater and probably 70-80% of people are in pink. Wrap it up nolanailures oppenheimer btfo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Justin Tyme posted:

At the theater and probably 70-80% of people are in pink. Wrap it up nolanailures oppenheimer btfo
But all of them are radioactive...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why didn’t anyone turn to the camera and say “jordan belfort was a bad dude”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

season 2 of twin peaks is a mess but the final episode and fire walk with me are masterpieces

highly recommend The Return

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

starkebn posted:

I finished grinding through the end of Twin Peaks season 2 and watched Fire Walk With Me.

What a waste of time. Once the mystery of Laura's murder is resolved there's just nothing left of interest. A bunch of bullshit soap opera crap. The writing drastically devolves, the acting even becomes over the top like the directing changed severely.

Twin Peaks season 1 and 2 would be seriously improved by just trimming it to anything to do with Cooper and jettisoning the rest.

you didn't like FWWM :question:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fire Walk With Me is mid, not sorry

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fire Walk With Me is mid, not sorry

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finally got around to watching the Mario movie with my daughter. Kind of unremarkable kids movie writing-wise, needle drops were a bit annoying but the Take On Me one everyone knows about was by far the worst. Chris Pratt and Anya Taylor-Joy were generic, Charlie Day and Jack Black were good, Keegan-Michael Key was annoying but it's hard not to be when you're playing a Toad. Visuals looked great. Mario Kart segment felt tacked-on. Overall you could do worse :shrug:

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

La Louve Rouge posted:

When Oppenheimer suggested giving Los Alamos back to the Indians after Trinity a guy in my showing shouted "yeah!"

I watched it in Albuquerque, that got some love. There was an audible chuckle from the whole theater at the , " if I could figure out how to unite New Mexico and physics I would be truly happy," line.

I wish I was still going to be here when Killers of the Flower Moon comes out, the theater is going to be electric.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

FWWM + missing pieces has some of the best twin peaks moments.

but chet desmond and fake donna and the rush to pay off all the Laura stuff on the way to the ending ((train car) which somehow doesn't work) drag it down yeah.

It's one of the best movies to think about years later which makes it worth seeing

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the return for me is kinda the same way I'm glad I saw it but even less of it sticks in your mind and I actively didn't like large parts of it. you gotta think of it like "David Lynch's Twilight Zone" and it takes place in the twin peaks universe. not a thing that works on its own or as a sequel to twin peaks season 1 and 2 in the normal sense

I'm like a lynch super fan I even rewatch inland empire sometimes to unwind

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I also like how david figured out one gag to stretch between 3 or 4 of his dozen or so major works. at least 25% of his films

What if we show the character's dream (fantasy, their ideal world) as if it is reality and then the dream becomes a nightmare?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the return is amazing

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

why dont you triple post some more about your bad taste

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Augus posted:

the return is amazing

dougie kills the marvel cinematic universe

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

why dont you triple post some more about your bad taste

no

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

actually,

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I like Carlos Reygadas films. except silent light

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

awkward_turtle posted:

I watched it in Albuquerque, that got some love. There was an audible chuckle from the whole theater at the , " if I could figure out how to unite New Mexico and physics I would be truly happy," line.

I wish I was still going to be here when Killers of the Flower Moon comes out, the theater is going to be electric.

I can't loving wait to see Killers. I hope they don't push it back to 2024.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so ive been watching amerika 1987 on youtube and i cant help but find it constantly hilarious that the most evil monstrous thing communism has done to break the spirit of the united states and its people has been to pursue an economic policy thats resulted in a large homeless population and also to militarize the police

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Antonymous posted:

I like Carlos Reygadas films. except silent light

its his only decent film. you truly are a freak

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

tristeham posted:

its his only decent film. you truly are a freak

its the only one ive seen but yeah it rules. wtf anton

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

In Training posted:

you didn't like FWWM :question:

There's plenty of good material in FWWM but the overall structure is poor. The first act is pointless and leads nowhere, and the tension is reduced a lot because it's a prequel where we already know a lot of the events.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watching Bird Box, what was this movie's claim to fame again? First movie that Netflix funded exclusively for its platform, or do I only remember it for people making fun of Sandra Bullock flailing around while blindfolded?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I love the Chet Desmond segment of FWWM.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Watching Bird Box, what was this movie's claim to fame again? First movie that Netflix funded exclusively for its platform, or do I only remember it for people making fun of Sandra Bullock flailing around while blindfolded?

supposedly it was like the most popular movie of all time when it came out but aside from it being a tiktok trend noone really believed netflix when they said this because they werent releasing official streaming numbers at the time they do now btw

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/top10/

has anyone seen the out laws apparently its been the most popular netflix movie of the last three weeks even though it looks like a really dumb and bad movie

edit i mean most popular english netflix movie sorry its easy to forget that most of netflixs most popular content is foreign language mostly because the english language press simply pretends like it doesnt exist lol that the korean drama king the land has done better numbers than black mirror but id be surprised if anyone here aside from me had even heard of that show before just now

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jul 30, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

It was The Quiet Place, but for eyes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Some Guy TT posted:

has anyone seen the out laws apparently its been the most popular netflix movie of the last three weeks even though it looks like a really dumb and bad movie

My wife literally just turned it on, then wandered off to go do something else while leaving it running in the background lol. If I see anything noteworthy I'll mention it.

E: it's pretty bad
E2: I can never remember this male lead's name, but I think he's aged out of the "20s-something softboi" role into which he's been typecast so hard.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you and your wife should watch king the land instead imo its a romantic comedy about a hotel heir and a hotelier

a big part of the joke is that the hotelier is played by yoona of girls generation whos famous for having this perfect girls next door smile but in the text of the story the hotel heir thinks her smiling all the time is just the most annoying drat thing hes ever seen his life