Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i'd rather just make a big order on the proxy site and get more cards for less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So Command Zone is doing a bit more math in their precon upgrade guides this time around and I kinda wish they did this for the LOTR ones, but can understand it more when this set coming out is more reprint focused than newer cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvLWezTXjMk&t=1169s

It's timestamped to the section about the dollar value of the deck, and were able to basically figure out how much per US Dollar spent you are getting for, in this instance The Sliver precon. Mainly due to the fact that most of these decks are going for anywhere between $82 - $114. If you're specifically looking at the Sliver precon on Amazon, it's $114 for a pre-order which means you'd be getting LESS than what the video is positing.

It's about a six minute segment but goddamn PER DOLLAR spent on this loving deck is $1.92 at an $80 price vs previous precon averages ranging from $2.38 - $2.60 that are supposed to go from around $40.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I tried to get my pre-order of the four decks refunded but the store would only give me a aprtial refund so I went gently caress it, that'll teach me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
River Song looks like a fun commander, I always wanted a draw from bottom ability!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
She even flavorfully combos with Timestream navigator.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Khanstant posted:

River Song looks like a fun commander, I always wanted a draw from bottom ability!

Pretty cool that, like Grenzo, you can use the London mulligan to your advantage when she's in play

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/15bwf4r/wot_english_anime_borderless_cards_and_confetti/

I like this Rhystic Study art a lot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, the confetti treatment is cool too. Not much of a holo user myself but I'd sleeve up a confetti ome quick

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I wonder if this is playable in cEDH. Castable on turn 1 with a Jeweled Lotus and can draw a lot of cards if you call the right number. Also in UB for Thoracle combo lines.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

I wonder if this is playable in cEDH. Castable on turn 1 with a Jeweled Lotus and can draw a lot of cards if you call the right number. Also in UB for Thoracle combo lines.

Nymris is the new hotness in cEDH right now (after people saying it wasn't good enough for a while), so I think a similar card that costs less could stand a chance. Talion almost feels like another Rhystic Study so it's cool.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Definitely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you name 2, is that going to apply to all: 1B, 2B, BG

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

If you name 2, is that going to apply to all: 1B, 2B, BG

No, it applies to all spells that cost 2 mana, and any creatures cast with 2/x or x/2. So the 2B there is a 3 mana spell and wouldn't trigger.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Absolutely. Naming 1 or 2 straight shuts down some lines in cedh.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Also lol at White Craterhoof Behemoth: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/15bvj0g/woe_moonshaker_cavalry/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh wow we're getting Necropotence and Rhystic Study in Arena.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I do like how Moonshaker continues the historical trend of white getting a card functionally similar to it's green counterpart but markedly worse due to that tiny functional difference.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I do like how Moonshaker continues the historical trend of white getting a card functionally similar to it's green counterpart but markedly worse due to that tiny functional difference.

It'd be fine but eight mana is a lot, you're basically only going to be able to cast it in WG and then you have better options. Nice budget option though, or will be after prerelease hype.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The problem is, you know it's going to be in the next couple MODO cubes and will be completely worthless.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LifeLynx posted:

It'd be fine but eight mana is a lot, you're basically only going to be able to cast it in WG and then you have better options.

*laughs in Mondrak with Smothering Tithe*

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

AlternateNu posted:

My opinion is that it's a totally serviceable card that white just... doesn't need. White has plenty of other ways to get overrun/pump effects, and unlike green white can't consistently tutor this out as an 8 CMC creature. Some W/X decks will love this, but the majority of mono-white and 3+ color decks will quickly find out that the support just really isn't there. How many decks want this to replace Cathar Crusade, Akroma's Will, or Mirror Entity?

It's not that this card is weaker than craterhoof in a vacuum; craterhoof just has a lot better cards in it's color that support it as an endgame finisher. That said I'm toying with the idea of a mono-white bigstuff reanimator deck and I suspect that moonshaker will slot in very nicely there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Craterhoof is good because it has haste. If Moonshaker (I want to call this thing "Moonraker" so badly! Pew pew pew pew!) was green, it'd still be worse.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

What would want this that doesn't already get craterhoof? I can't think of anything that would be able to get an 8 drop and have enough guys on the ground to make the pump big but isn't green.

It's not only competing with Craterhoof, but also Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, as a big white power swing. You don't beat Elesh Norn easily.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 28, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
That's a fair take. That said, the number of mono-white creatures with haste is exactly one (just Akroma) so unfortunately that just wasn't going to happen.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What would want this that doesn't already get craterhoof? I can't think of anything that would be able to get an 8 drop and have enough guys on the ground to make the pump big but isn't green.

It's not only competing with Craterhoof, but also Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, as a big white power swing. You don't beat Elesh Norn easily.

The only realistic options I can come up with are G/W mostly-token decks that want both for redundancy, W or W/U blink shenanigans, and W or W/B reanimator.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah I'm not sure what deck would actually care about White Hoof other than some GW deck that could use a Chord effect for Hoof but instead tosses out White Hoof to like barely manage to squeak though the damage from swinging they need to end the game and even then I'm sure the Haste on Hoof just makes it like a 1/100 chance of this being the actual correct play instead of just grabbing hoof classic.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I think flicker decks could make good use of it as a wincon. My Ranar deck will probably love it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'd like to try it out in the Esper Knight Tribal precon. See what other shenanigans I can find out with UB to play around with. Is there a spell in black that gives all your creatures Shadow till end of turn?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

No, but you can give them either Horsemanship or Fear with a creature/enchantment respectively.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's a great budget option for a lot of decks that can't afford craterhoof.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

No, but you can give them either Horsemanship or Fear with a creature/enchantment respectively.

Nice! That's right i forgot about the Horsemanship and Fear abilities.

I wonder if there's one for Menace as well

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Rogue Class, but it's a 5 mana investment. Cover of Darkness for Fear. The two blue dudes for Horsemanship.

E:

You can give them Intimidate for a turn with Hideous Visage, but Intimidate seems bad on multi-color creatures.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 29, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Jiro posted:

Goblin War Drums
Came across it while organizing my old commons... put a copy in a couple of my combat-based decks (there's multiple arts!)

edit: never mind... forgot what colours you were building.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

Jiro posted:

I'd like to try it out in the Esper Knight Tribal precon. See what other shenanigans I can find out with UB to play around with. Is there a spell in black that gives all your creatures Shadow till end of turn?

While not giving all of your creatures shadow, Dauthi Embrace is a repeatable way of giving select creatures shadow.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's also Concerted Effort that let's you share a bunch of keywords with creature you control as long as one has it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jiro posted:

There's dauthi embrace?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

LanceKing2200 posted:

I think flicker decks could make good use of it as a wincon. My Ranar deck will probably love it.

Yeah I'll try it in Ranar. Mana hasn't been an issue between tutorable smothering tithe and ashnod's altar

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i dont have a problem.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

37 decks?

In a row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

37 decks?

In a row?

TRY NOT TO BUILD ANOTHER DECK ON YOUR WAY TO THE PARKING LOT!