Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It is a weak coward who says nothing for fear of being wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Over 10,000 fans just showed up in mid 90s high humidity weather to watch the Commanders practice. I hope Snyder is seething in his Scrooge McDuck cave of gold coins.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diqnol posted:

When he does it again this year what will you say, same spiel?

Yeah probably because I speak from what I see. It's why I didn't like Kyler for a while until Kyler started hitting open routes in 2021.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

:hmmyes: this is the guy i want throwing the ball for my team

https://youtu.be/U_G77g0i6GY?t=7

OK

Well, good luck with that this year. Dallas' only hope is to field a nasty and mean defense...and they might.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Diqnol posted:

Jesus, you don't have to call me out like that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The weird cult of personality around Dak in this thread is strange.

He's fine, has some talent and may be better than the results we've seen on the field if one wants to look for excuses for him but, again, no GM in this entire god damned league would take him over Jalen Hurts right now and that's a loving fact. I doubt that if Dallas fans were really being honest that they wouldn't take him too and agree. I can't think of one GM in the league that would replace Jalen with Dak, even if they were the same age.

You guys want us to admit that Prescott is good? I think he's quite good, and probably better than his record, but some of you need a reality check here and should remind yourselves who went toe to toe with the best QB in the game last year in the Super Bowl and look at who's getting better every year with no real ceiling in sight. If Jalen has hit his top tier, as of right now, and plays to the baseline he put up last year then it's no contest.

I look forward to the Eagles running roughshod over Dallas this year while we await all the reasons it's not Prescott's fault. Dallas might have a top 2 or 3 defense this year, which can win a lot of games though so we'll see.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s entirely possible Dallas beats the eagles with a turnover advantage

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

He's fine, has some talent and may be better than the results we've seen on the field if one wants to look for excuses for him but, again, no GM in this entire god damned league would take him over Jalen Hurts right now and that's a loving fact. I doubt that if Dallas fans were really being honest that they wouldn't take him too and agree. I can't think of one GM in the league that would replace Jalen with Dak, even if they were the same age.

You guys want us to admit that Prescott is good? I think he's quite good, and probably better than his record, but some of you need a reality check here and should remind yourselves who went toe to toe with the best QB in the game last year in the Super Bowl and look at who's getting better every year with no real ceiling in sight. If Jalen has hit his top tier, as of right now, and plays to the baseline he put up last year then it's no contest.

I look forward to the Eagles running roughshod over Dallas this year while we await all the reasons it's not Prescott's fault. Dallas might have a top 2 or 3 defense this year, which can win a lot of games though so we'll see.

I see the same fan base that crowned Carson Wentz after he got outplayed by Nick Foles is giving out new crowns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Excuse me ?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BiggerBoat posted:

Blarzgh does take it a bit far in the praise but I hate the cowboys and can admit when players are good on my rivals and the difference between one QB that can go 4k+ yards with his arm talent and one that hasn't reached 4k yards yet and how to craft long run on sentences

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

Yeah probably because I speak from what I see. It's why I didn't like Kyler for a while until Kyler started hitting open routes in 2021.

If there’s anything I know about the NFL it is that you can be an imperfect player and still be hugely successful and HoF. Take a look at Emmitt Smith as an nfce example.

Hurts is not Pat Mahomes but nobody is and he is still evolving his game but he just showed he can evolve ala Allen, so why doubt he’ll continue to? You don’t need top flight arm talent to be amazing, especially if you can be an injury avoidant dual threat. I notice you focus on pocket passing metrics and fail to bring up his immense strengths such as the ability to diagnose when to use legs, to escape the pocket, to improvise on a broken play etc. He is a lot better and the game is more complex than the 90s scout metrics QBs used to be graded on.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like Jalen's style of running doesn't really lend itself to an injury avoidant career

especially because he didn't avoid injury this past season

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diqnol posted:

If there’s anything I know about the NFL it is that you can be an imperfect player and still be hugely successful and HoF. Take a look at Emmitt Smith as an nfce example.

Hurts is not Pat Mahomes but nobody is and he is still evolving his game but he just showed he can evolve ala Allen, so why doubt he’ll continue to? You don’t need top flight arm talent to be amazing, especially if you can be an injury avoidant dual threat. I notice you focus on pocket passing metrics and fail to bring up his immense strengths such as the ability to diagnose when to use legs, to escape the pocket, to improvise on a broken play etc. He is a lot better and the game is more complex than the 90s scout metrics QBs used to be graded on.

I would say that Hurts' game is less complex than 90s scout metrics and that QBs that were able to scramble to the sidelines while their WRs worked longer routes has existed since Fran Tarkenton. I also meant his running ability when I said that teams forget about the flats but could have been more clear on that.

One thing most of all our favorite running QBs had was a threatening arm. Vick could bomb it deep, Lamar's passing ability is way better than people give him credit for, Cam had an amazing arm and could throw bullets, Steve Young and Russell Wilson could throw all over the field and on the run, Cunningham had a cannon and great pocket presence, and the classic pocket guys like McNabb, Elway, and McNair could still tuck and run as a threat. I don't think Hurts has anything with his arm yet. It's average, definitely NFL worthy, but I don't think anyone fears it. He gets by on being really smart with the football and running his specific offense like a machine. I love running QBs, I just don't like guys like Hurts or Jones much when guys like Josh Allen exist.

I don't think any player has a guarantee to become better and see nothing wrong with judging guys on a season to season basis.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Diqnol posted:

No, its more out of all the games you posted that, it was a mudslide shitshow against the Texans that the Eagles barely survived.

The Eagles were the team to beat last year, I'm not stupid. But even the best teams have lovely weeks and good christ the hilarity of you going all :actually: after that near disaster had me in stitches.

Wish I were in a position to get stupidly cocky last season but alas, Dak lost his eyeballs and/or his receivers did and/or both.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
re Eagles uniforms:

Midnight green home
Kelly green away
switch it every season

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

indigi posted:

re Eagles uniforms:

Midnight green home
Kelly green away
switch it every season

League rules wouldn’t allow them to switch it every year like that. Make Kelly green the home, keep midnight green as an alternate when they want to relive the glory days of Big Dick Nick, never do a black alternate anything ever again, bring back the Frankford Yellow Jackets jerseys for another game.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ayudo posted:

I see the same fan base that crowned Carson Wentz after he got outplayed by Nick Foles is giving out new crowns.

lmao

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Hurts played 20 games of below-average quarterback, then put up Dak Prescott's 3rd best passing season behind the best supporting cast in the NFL, and ran the ball a bunch because his Coaches are Smart at Football

The NFL has 100x more QBs who posted a one-off, borderline MVP season then fell back to earth than it does perennial pro bowlers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

blarzgh posted:

Hurts played 20 games of below-average quarterback, then put up Dak Prescott's 3rd best passing season behind the best supporting cast in the NFL, and ran the ball a bunch because his Coaches are Smart at Football

The NFL has 100x more QBs who posted a one-off, borderline MVP season then fell back to earth than it does perennial pro bowlers

I don't really look at Hurts any differently than Tua except he is less injury prone so far. I don't think Tua is anything special, he just has Hill and Waddle to throw to with a coach who mostly knows how to hide his deficiencies

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is no way I would take Hurts over Dak. I wouldn’t take hurts over Fields. Hurts did ok with one of the most talented rosters and basically no team injuries. Even still the eagles got clowned by every team they faced with a decent defense.

Hurts cannot win with his arm. We’re all going to witness what teams do against him this year with actual tape on him, and they’re going to shut down his short game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
please let the record show that despite owning a Wentz jersey (purchased when he was a rookie) I never crowned his rear end and was the only Eagles fan arguing that he sucked from mid-2018 through his trade

I think Hurts needs to replicate his performance from last year at about an 85-90% before I will formally motion for crown consideration. he needs to show that he can continue to make progress on his areas of weakness (esp working the middle of the field, he has AJ Brown and Goedert this should be a gimmie) but more importantly that he isn't going to revert to his poor habits from 2021. the thing that tipped me off about Wentz is that in 2018 he fell back to all the problems we saw him having as a rookie and never fixed any of them, 2017 was fully a mirage

that said, I hope they go 2-15 this season (Giants) because they give up 33.5 points per game

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

He played a better game in the Super Bowl than Dak's lone appearance.

Oh, wait.

Come on folks. No one, and I mean NOBODY would, if given the choice, take Dak over Jalen right now. Maybe blargh would but AFAIK he's not a GM.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BiggerBoat posted:

He played a better game in the Super Bowl than Dak's lone appearance.

Oh, wait.

Come on folks. No one, and I mean NOBODY would, if given the choice, take Dak over Jalen right now. Maybe blargh would but AFAIK he's not a GM.

I think you're kind of right only in the sense that GMs really hook their wagons to young, athletic QBs. Like the major difference between Dak and Hurts really is arms versus legs, and right now the legs are winning with their current strategy.

There is no possible way NFL defenses didn't have Hurts figured out last year.

The guy clearly loves the middle of the field and hitting sidelines on short routes. If that doesn't work, people run deep and then he takes off. Everyone knows that. The problem is no one can stop that. Hurts is squirrely, he's fast, and he's capable. He's kind of like a way more athletic Chad Pennington. That's like really valuable. People want that. Now the question is will the NFL start drafting faster LBs who can actually make a tackle on a 6'2 guy running around instead of just diving at his feet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hurts has way better intangibles. He may have the best intangibles in the league.

(Not including Mahomes obv. He’s the best ever)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doltos posted:

I think you're kind of right only in the sense that GMs really hook their wagons to young, athletic QBs. Like the major difference between Dak and Hurts really is arms versus legs, and right now the legs are winning with their current strategy.

There is no possible way NFL defenses didn't have Hurts figured out last year.

The guy clearly loves the middle of the field and hitting sidelines on short routes. If that doesn't work, people run deep and then he takes off. Everyone knows that. The problem is no one can stop that. Hurts is squirrely, he's fast, and he's capable. He's kind of like a way more athletic Chad Pennington. That's like really valuable. People want that. Now the question is will the NFL start drafting faster LBs who can actually make a tackle on a 6'2 guy running around instead of just diving at his feet.

Every team with a good defense he faced last year stopped him, though. If Dak hadn't been injured the first time they played last season, they get swept by the Cowboys. They only won the NFC championship because they were playing a team with no QB.

They only looked as good as they did last year because the NFC was less than great. When the 2022 NY Football Giants are a playoff team and can even win a wildcard game, your conference is not doing too hot.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is the exact same convo from last year but now with "ok so he had one good season but,, "

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Hurts will be swell

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every team with a good defense he faced last year stopped him, though. If Dak hadn't been injured the first time they played last season, they get swept by the Cowboys. They only won the NFC championship because they were playing a team with no QB.

They only looked as good as they did last year because the NFC was less than great. When the 2022 NY Football Giants are a playoff team and can even win a wildcard game, your conference is not doing too hot.

You're right but we'll see. The NFC is a joke conference at the moment with barely any decent QBs and a bunch of lovely rear end defenses. The Giants were the best example of that as they still made the divisional with the corpse of Landon Collins and Jaylon Smith trying to play the 3-4. Eagles got to cake walk Danny Jones 3 times and a QBless 49ers but I still think they go pretty far last year regardless. I mean they are a super team full of amazing players. That guarantees wins but Hurts still had to operate at least okay for it all to work which I think he did. It wasn't spectacular but it got the job done.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like 'they only won the NFC Championship Game because they were playing against a team with no QB' conveniently ignores why they were playing against a team with no QB. Dude didn't trip and fall, he got hit because the defensive line did exactly what it had been doing all year up to that point

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toaster Beef posted:

I feel like 'they only won the NFC Championship Game because they were playing against a team with no QB' conveniently ignores why they were playing against a team with no QB. Dude didn't trip and fall, he got hit because the defensive line did exactly what it had been doing all year up to that point

That was already their third string QB. If SF had more than one QB worth a drat on the roster before the game, it would have looked very different.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
maybe, but we'll never know because the eagles knocked their one QB worth a drat out of the game

edit: like, i hear you, and i was worried about the SF game because that team looked like an absolute buzzsaw, but if exceptional talent on one team (the eagles' defensive line) exploits a serious weakness on another team (the 49ers' QB situation), then that's one team beating the other. the eagles racked up historic sack totals over the course of the season, it's not crazy to think they'd get to the QB. the jalen hurts fumble returned for a TD likely turned the entire super bowl around, i'm not in here saying "yeah well the chiefs would've lost if it weren't for that anomalous thing that cost the eagles the game."

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 30, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I agree with that too. We'll never know what would have happened, but that Eagles d-line was causing havoc all year and will probably be even more amazing this year

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The second Cowboys game was silly because Dak got sacked 6 times but still hung 40 on the Eagles.

I don't think the eagles sacked Cooper Rush at all in the first meeting.

Also not from this thread, but I will always laugh at the "its worse to get sacked on second down than it is third down" argument from ages back.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I like BiggerBoat quite a bit but their confidence re: Eagles v. Cowboys is bonkers to me and I don't understand a mindset that doesn't pencil in at least one loss to Dallas in any given season

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm still haunted by Donovan McNabb's fifty yard run behind the LoS before bombing it deep. No wins are guaranteed. Except against Washington and sometimes New York.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah in the nfce the favorite is only ever like a 70/30 favorite which over a two game sample could mean anything .

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

Yeah in the nfce the favorite is only ever like a 70/30 favorite which over a two game sample could mean anything .

100%

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

I like BiggerBoat quite a bit but their confidence re: Eagles v. Cowboys is bonkers to me and I don't understand a mindset that doesn't pencil in at least one loss to Dallas in any given season

I was just talkin poo poo but I do think Philly goes farther than Dallas. Agree it's probably a split in the regular season.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I kind of hope Washington wins the division this year and nobody else even makes the playoffs just to shut everyone up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Febreeze posted:

I kind of hope Washington wins the division this year and nobody else even makes the playoffs just to shut everyone up

It would own, lmao