Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1685419929233936384

Bob loves to do this tweet every time a player is traded to texas lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nodoze posted:

I feel like half their team is high dollar free agents that mostly worked out

Honestly shocked at how well Semien worked out. I was sure he was going to be a one year wonder. (well two year if you include the one Oakland year he had an OPS+ over 100)

No Safe Word posted:

The only argument could have been that the Astros FO didn't think he would be worth it since we had seemingly good (if not great) starting options coming into 2023.

But then LMJ, Urquidy, and Garcia are all on the 60-day IL now with no planned return for any of them that I'm aware of, leaving only Framber, Javier, and Hunter Brown. France is a good enough 4th starter but Bielak/Blanco is not great. And Javier and Brown have not been super great either.

Urquidy is about to be back, he's making his final planned rehab start this weekend

But with Framber, Javier and Brown all becoming bad lately the rotation is an absolute mess right now

France and Bielak have been carrying this team lol

e2: Brown has already been showing serious signs of fatigue and after tonight's start unless something goes seriously, seriously wrong he'll have pitched his most innings in a season as a pro so he's going to need some rest here and there

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 29, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So walk me through why anybody would want to trade for Scherzer right now? He's got a 4.01 ERA some of the worst peripherals of his career, and whoever gets him is inevitably going to be on the hook for his age 39 player option at a cool $43M. Is it just "get a veteran with postseason experience" again?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

So walk me through why anybody would want to trade for Scherzer right now? He's got a 4.01 ERA some of the worst peripherals of his career, and whoever gets him is inevitably going to be on the hook for his age 39 player option at a cool $43M. Is it just "get a veteran with postseason experience" again?

they could just be dumb

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1685419929233936384

Bob loves to do this tweet every time a player is traded to texas lol

They’re at the only income level where they actually come out ahead against California in taxes lol. When you factor in property taxes and poo poo you gotta be pushing seven figures to actually benefit from Texas’ tax structure nowadays.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

they must have a short memory too given how his 2022 postseason went

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

He's a Hall of Famer. "Worst peripherals of his career" isn't necessarily bad and there's a lot of pink on his Savant page.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

It's a "pray he unfucks himself" sort of move, he's only a season removed from having incredible numbers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's a pray the Mets are cursed sort of move and well they are.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

It's a "pray he unfucks himself" sort of move, he's only a season removed from having incredible numbers

I guess but that's a lot of money for a guys age 38 and 39 seasons and hoping it's something other than him just inevitably hitting the wall. idk maybe Steve will eat a bunch of the money.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Padres and Cardinals....get to selling your good players already.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think Verlander/Houston would be remotely strange. Situations change. In the off-season the Astros thought they could do it without Verlander and/or that he wouldn’t hold up/be worth the money. Maybe they’ve changed their minds as results have come in.

But here’s hoping Verlander somehow ends up in Anaheim or something.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Scherzer is a pitcher that makes their rotation immediately better and they probably won't have to give up a ton in prospects to get him unless the Mets eat a ton of salary. Hard to judge without seeing the full trade but it's a move that makes sense to me if they think they've got a shot this year with the Astros hot on their tail for the division.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah they’re making a run and Scherzer is hardly nothing. You improve yourself how you can, not how fans want you to on sports radio.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Congrats to Tim Anderson on hitting his first home run of the year. Sending that trade value skyrocketing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1685428435349356545

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

Congrats to Tim Anderson on hitting his first home run of the year. Sending that trade value skyrocketing.

After careful consideration it seems like he's worse than Jackie Robinson.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Last reported as Acuna and Saggese as the big pieces.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah they’re making a run and Scherzer is hardly nothing. You improve yourself how you can, not how fans want you to on sports radio.

^This

Also he’s Max loving Scherzer

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1685436700204408832?t=-6g-vFGMgtQ6UHWaYPTLcw&s=19

no way the Mets can possibly Mets this this hard, right?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I mean to be fair to Max, even Queens is better than spending half of the next three months in Dallas.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Scherzer blocked a trade to the Padres in 21 so it's more him than them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Did he block it? I thought the dodgers just outbid them at the zero hour

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

Did he block it? I thought the dodgers just outbid them at the zero hour

All the talk was that he wanted to go to LA.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1685449191844171776?t=T9-RK2x7T1zq1oarVT-HZQ&s=19

Acuna swap for Scherzer is probably still an overpay for what Scherzer is today.

E. Corrected as Scherzer's salary is paid down to $22 million by the Mets. Texas picks up the $22 million tab.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 30, 2023

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Chips all in for the Rangers. Good move

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Rangers/Angels ALCS pls

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bregor posted:

Rangers/Angels ALCS pls

Sounds good to me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It'll be Astros/Yankees and you'll like it :v:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

OK I take it back if they're trading Acuna for Scherzer the Rangers are absolutely hosed

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Hell yeah Rangers :cool:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

it's cool the rangers got so fleeced, teams making bad trades is so ftw

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
and now the Mets get to plow a little bit more money into further stupid contracts, the circle of life continues

elentar fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 30, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

elentar posted:

and now the Mets get to plow a little bit more money into further stupid contracts, the circle of life continues

:mets:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's cool the rangers got so fleeced, teams making bad trades is so ftw

Tell us about Acuña... I don't know anything except the name really

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mets got a top 50 prospect for a guy who is done. Good for them.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

The Pussy Boss posted:

he’s faster than Ronald supposedly, not as much power

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Twins doing the good work of sucking against the bad teams so when the time comes they can also suck against the good teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the Twins exist only to hurt me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Pussy Boss posted:

He's only 5' 8" and has limited power projection, but he's a good athlete and can do everything else and should stick at short. He's going to be a good player. He's blocked by Seager and Duran at this point though, and he's probably only the 4th or 5th best prospect in the Rangers system before the trade.

It hurts to trade him, but hes not his brother and you've got to give something up to get something. Hopefully Scherzer has something left.