Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dragged Across Concrete is Way of the Gun with old white dudes. It's not particularly memorable despite the ultraviolence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched The Americans as it aired and have never done a rewatch till now. I'm halfway through the second season. drat it is a bummer but also good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm working through The Americans for the first time, and I'm couple of episodes into S4. It's so good!

I'd really like to see Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys pair up in something else. Hot drat they're great together. Reminds me of the chemistry between Kerry Bishe and Scoot McNairy.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 29, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't know if it's just me being older than when I first saw the show, but the part that upsets me the most is all the depressing sex stuff, not the murders and such.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Americans really knew how to build tension throughout a season. The last 2-3 episodes of literally every season were bangers. They stuck the landing on the finale too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dreaming of a day I can put Zahler, Taylor Sheridan, and both McDonagh brothers in a maximum security prison run by Don Johnson. :clint:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll dream that with you

Don Johnson seems cool af

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll dream that with you

Don Johnson seems cool af

He's not! He and Melanie Griffith met when she was 14 and he was 22, they moved in together the next year.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ohhh noooooo

He can be the warden but he's also in prison forever

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

He's not! He and Melanie Griffith met when she was 14 and he was 22, they moved in together the next year.

Well he’s cool in movies at least

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I know a guy who was in a few episodes of Nash Bridges, and from that brief time he apparently has a ton of stories of Don Johnson being a walking stereotype. Stumbling on set with whiskey bottle in hand, not remembering any lines, harassing the ladies, you know, all the classics.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’ve heard some vile stories about Don Johnson which hosed me up because I was a huge Miami Vice fan as a kid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dang :/

Lame Johnson then

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It seems like it's only in the last 20 years or so where people really started to come down on celebrities dating children. You hear all those stories of those old rock stars hooking up with young girls. That POS Ted Nugent has a song about having sex with a 13 year old. Stephen Tyler got legal guardianship over his teenage girlfriend so that he could legally take her across state lines. Even in the late 90s, Jerry Seinfeld at the peak of his fame began dating a high school student for several months. She was 18, and legal, but still mega creepy, and people mostly just made jokes about it rather than seriously harming his reputation.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
David Bowie will always be Jesus for white people and I've accepted its hard to hack away at that

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Calvin Klein's "nothing comes between me and my jeans" commercial came out in '81. poo poo was super normalized.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

Dang :/

Lame Johnson then

Con Johnson was right there!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
How to with John Wilson is still real good.

it's real frustrating though to know there's a bunch of burning man footage that'll never be released

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
By the time he was in Nash Bridges his girlfriend was 18, which is much better than 14, but unfortunately she was a co-star who played his daughter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Twisted Metal is fun. Reminds me a lot of Blood Drive, except without the BLOOOOOD DRIIIIVVVVVEE.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Good Omens - S2: This season's plot was...err...convoluted, though not implausible. The pulse of the show, of course, is the back & forth between Sheen & Tennant which didn't disappoint. Ends on a bit of a dour (sad) note similar to The Freshmen. I hope there's a 3rd season eventually...I don't imagine there's an easy way to wrap up the story of 2 main characters who are immortal without being trite, but if season 2 ends up being the last of the series, it kinda' works without being completely satisfying.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Baron von Eevl posted:

By the time he was in Nash Bridges his girlfriend was 18, which is much better than 14, but unfortunately she was a co-star who played his daughter.

Don Johnson was dating Jodi Lynn O'Keefe while they were filming that show? I used to watch it all the time, I had no idea.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

It seems like it's only in the last 20 years or so where people really started to come down on celebrities dating children. You hear all those stories of those old rock stars hooking up with young girls. That POS Ted Nugent has a song about having sex with a 13 year old. Stephen Tyler got legal guardianship over his teenage girlfriend so that he could legally take her across state lines. Even in the late 90s, Jerry Seinfeld at the peak of his fame began dating a high school student for several months. She was 18, and legal, but still mega creepy, and people mostly just made jokes about it rather than seriously harming his reputation.

Peter Bogdonavich met his second wife at the funeral for his fiance'. She was her 12 year old sister.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ignoring the obvious, it's pretty weird he hadn't met his fiancee's sister before her funeral.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They had only been dating for a few months while shooting a movie in LA. It's weirder to imagine your playboy playmate sister flying you across the country at 12 to meet the guy she's leaving her actual pimp husband for.

Anyway the 12 year old thing was never confirmed but Bogdonovitch's friend Hugh Hefner publicly accused him of it and then immediately after she turned 18 they got married sooooooo

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Errol Flynn was a wild one. Before he became a movie star and gave every teen girl in hollywood siphylus he was a straight up slaver and took an Indonesian teen as a wife after her village was massacred

He was my great grand uncle and it was kind of a point of pride for my Nan. Didn't ruin it for her after I learnt

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 31, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I had always heard he was believed to be a Nazi spy, like it was believed to the point Timothy Dalton's character in The Rocketeer was Flynn with the serial filed off, but apparently he was exonerated by the FBI in the 80s?

They said they had a case file on him because he was under constant surveillance in the 30s & 40s as part of an underage prostitution investigation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
efb

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This righteous gemstones season has been fantastic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shudder is the ultimate mixed bag streaming service. Tried the Children of the Corn remake, which only seems to understand that All CotC Movies Must Be Awful.

Meanwhile, the Sharksploitation documentary, while up its own rear end just a little bit, does a deep dive (get it?) on all shark movies from 1931 to now. Of particular interest are some of the more bizarre 70's movies that came out to capitalize on that Jaws money, particularly overseas.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Regarding sex pests only being a problem recently - didn’t Henry Cavill date some young girl a decade ago?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

went dad mode and watched They Shall Not Grow Old, the Peter Jackson WWI documentary that took old newsreel footage and 4k 60 fps upscaled it, and was equally impressed and angered by the decisions they made. half of it felt like a respectful memorial to the young boys who gave their lives, the other half was a CGI shock image nightmare.

the upscaling mostly worked and made the newsreels surprisingly alive and vital, but then occasionally they would decide to add CGI elements that looked like a joke you'd make about bad greenscreen. really uncanny valley looking and took you out of it.

which is whatever, but then they took the geniunely offensive directorial choice of repeatedly zooming in on a random newsreel soldiers face and smashcutting to a colorized and upscaled gore picture, as if to imply "this soldier died horribly! shocked yet??". thanks pj.

worth it for the archival footage and really well edited interviews with soldiers throughout, but, drat.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 31, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Pillowpants posted:

Regarding sex pests only being a problem recently - didn’t Henry Cavill date some young girl a decade ago?

They meant nobody cared until recently

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I had always heard he was believed to be a Nazi spy, like it was believed to the point Timothy Dalton's character in The Rocketeer was Flynn with the serial filed off, but apparently he was exonerated by the FBI in the 80s?

They said they had a case file on him because he was under constant surveillance in the 30s & 40s as part of an underage prostitution investigation.

This is from a faint memory, but the spy accusations came from some trashy biography, which also tried to label him as gay. Based on what was extremely thin evidence, the sensational story stuck around longer than you'd expect.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The teenager loving came from a lot of different sources though

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
back then celebrities were practically open about it, in a "well I got involved with a 14 year old as one does, who could resist?" It's hosed up.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Finally got around to watching The Meg on Max. It was fine.

re: the earlier S. Craig Zahler chat, I read his western novels (A Congregation of Jackals and Wraiths of the Broken Land) and I liked them. It’s harder for me to read the crypto-nazi stuff into his movies having read those books. I’ll admit I haven’t seen The Littlest Reich, though…

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Wolfsheim posted:

They meant nobody cared until recently

Think I mentioned it before (maybe in another thread) but there's a movie called Last of Sheila from 1974 where being a pedophile appears to be looked at as a mere character flaw, like being a shoplifter or an alcoholic

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nonathlon posted:

This is from a faint memory, but the spy accusations came from some trashy biography, which also tried to label him as gay. Based on what was extremely thin evidence, the sensational story stuck around longer than you'd expect.

The biography put it in the limelight but it wasn't the source. He was a noted anti-semite, like people in the 30s thought it was a bit much. He was vocally pro Hitler in the early 30s, to point he suggested America bring him over to teach America how to handle its 'Jewish problem'.

He cut that out after spending a year with the anti fascists in Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

DeimosRising posted:

The teenager loving came from a lot of different sources though

Yeah one of them was from a straight up court case that the kid lost because they just said she was a young harlot and he was a red blooded guy and whom amongst us, it's the forties baby