Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's a shame, because the real-life stort of Tetris is incredibly fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
This is a pretty decent video covering the Tetris story

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There's also an excellent comic book by Box Brown called Tetris: The Games People Play.

It pays much more respect to Alekséj's philosophy about games.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 9, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ganja & Hess (1973) - 4/5
Minding The Gap (2018) - 4/5
A Fire (1961) - 5/5
The House Is Black (1963) - 5/5
The Crown Jewels of Iran (1965) - 3.5/5
The Lovers' Wind (1978) - 4/5
The Spook Who Sat By The Door (1973) - 5/5

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 10, 2023

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Went and saw The Super Mario Movie tonight with the wife and kid. I went into expecting to be a big grouchy millennial about it, but it was actually kinda better than I thought. There are parts that I didn’t like because I’m not a fan of Illumination’s style in general, but they weren’t too distracting. People say it was too light on plot, but I don’t know what else they could’ve done without pushing it into actually being bad. Most surprisingly, none of the voice acting was distracting, not even Chris Pratt. I’d give it a solid B-.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I thought it was the most boring nothing movie I've seen in a while, even by kids movie standards. Then I read the quote from Miyamoto that he wanted the plot to be as basic as the games and it made sense why it was so dull. I thought Jack Black was ok until the piano scene where he just does Jack Black. 2/5 being generous.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I haven't seen it but don't really have a desire to; Super Mario Bros. just looks like every other CGI kids' movie that gets cranked out these days. A bit too 'cute' for my tastes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Boy Friend (1971) - 5/5
Beau Is Afraid (2023) - 2/5
The Deer (1974) - 5/5
The Tall Shadows of the Wind (1977) - 3/5
Salomé (1972) - 2.5/5
Fast Break (1978) - 4/5
Eclipse of the Sun Virgin (1967) - 4/5

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 1, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Last Sentinel - 2/10

For the most part it was just boring. Seems like they've been trying to get it made since 2015, and it looks like it's been recast at least twice.
I have more questions than answers.

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...
Beau is Afraid: pretty good, often funny, but overlong; really I’d just have preferred to watch Synecdoche, New York again. 3/5

Sisu: the most fun I’ve had in a movie theater in a long time. Sometimes you just want to watch an unkillable grizzly-man slaughter Nazis in increasingly creative ways, and when he started slitting guys’ throats underwater and then breathing the air from their lungs so he didn’t have to surface I knew I was watching something special. 4.5/5

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I ran a double feature tonight of stuff I found on Amazon that I'd been meaning to catch up with.

Attack the Block 4/5: This movie gives a great sense of place, and the creature design and effects are quite inventive. The establishing shots of the tower-block map and straight up the front of the building really stood out to me as economical but effective. Likewise, it seems like they spent most of the effects budget in the back half of the film, but the puppetry/costume work in the early scenes still establish the creatures really strongly without showing them too much. They clearly closely studied Alien. I was left feeling like maybe John Boyega's Moses could have done a bit more to earn forgiveness from Jodie Whittaker's Samantha?, but focusing more on their arc would have detracted from a strong supporting cast. Moses' whole gang, Hi-Hat the gangster, and the stoners back at the weed room really sell "the block" as a cohesive and diverse neighborhood. There's apparently been a sequel in development for a couple years now, and if they can attain the same camaraderie and sense of place, they'll probably have a winner.

Heathers 3/5: I was willing to buy in early on, as the film was clearly offering a heightened, dare I say campy treatment of high school life. The streaming trivia sidebar during the movie noted that Christian Slater had explicitly based his performance on Jack Nicholson, and I definitely felt like I was discovering something of a missing link between Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger's Joker... not in the sense of revelation, more noticing that oh, maybe that's what inspired them to put Ledger in a trenchcoat for a few scenes. The climax lost me with Slater's character's ranting manifesto, and the sudden shift into an ersatz action thriller, though; perhaps that hit different in 1989 than it does today. The quick turn back to absurdity when he blows himself up right in front of Veronica, after the bomb briefly malfunctions saves it a little, but I ultimately didn't feel like it stuck the landing. Nevertheless, it's an interesting companion/comparison piece to Beetlejuice in Winona Ryder's early work, and the colorful costume, production design and shot choices are interesting on their own. If I ever end up having a daughter with a sharp sense of irony, I'll probably sit through this one with her, but the cultural gulf may seem even wider by then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Banshees of Inisherin was a good movie that I really wish I hadn’t seen. Just too brutal.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Artifice Girl - one of greatest artificial intelligence films I have ever seen. It’s not action packed it consists of 3-4 scenes and dialogue is so well written. 5/5

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GotG 3 is worth seeing just for the sheer "Holy poo poo, Disney signed off on this?"

Overall my least favorite of them but it has some great stuff in there. And coming off the snooze fest that was Antman, this is gold. These two should be a case study for how to use budget well and how to waste it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Vagrant (1992): C-. This movie can't decide whether it wants to set a dark humor or horror tone, but the humor is so ridiculous that it just doesn't come across as funny. I gave the movie a 'gentleman's C' because the horror elements are actually far more competently done.

Chinatown (1974): A. Almost everything The Vagrant isn't, with a labyrinthine plot that's similar in some respects to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Right off the bat I was attracted to the opening of the film that evoked a 1930s/40s noir atmosphere. I also like how Gittes' repeated references to an incident in Chinatown where he failed to help someone became something of a prophecy for the ending.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003): B-. The critics are wrong. Not a perfect movie by any means, but a rather enjoyable one.

e: Bunch of other movies that have been sitting on my DVR since last fall...

Weekend At Bernie's (1989): B. Yes, despite all the jokes about "Weekend At Bernie-ing" people (like Dianne Feinstein) that have been made on the forums, I had never seen this movie until now. The dark humor works much better here than it did with The Vagrant because Bernie commits to the humor. It's the kind of farce that relies on everyone being dumb as gently caress, but it has some really funny moments in it.

The Greatest Showman (2017): C+. Well acted and slick production, but I could have done without the musical format. It's a nice thought to imagine a well-born Victorian Era gentleman wooing someone of another race, and I'm sure it did happen, but the story there was a bit too twee and unrealistic to take too seriously.

The movie covered the fact that Barnum exploited the 'freaks' for his show... kinda. But then it became an empowerment thing and honestly? I'm a kid who was a bit of a "freak" myself and I don't quite buy the "we've become a family!" angle. It's all very nice but just a bit too saccharine and Hollywood.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 20, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Change of Sex (1976) - 4/5
Barry Lyndon (1975) - 4/5
The Other Side of the Underneath (1972) - 3/5
Throw Away Your Books, Rally In The Streets (1971) - 4.5/5
Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion (1972) - 4.5/5
Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (1972) - 3/5
In the Shadow of the Blue Rascal (1978) - 4/5
School of the Holy Beast (1974) - 2/5

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The Matrix (1999) - 10/10

A flawless film really. The direction is superb and the writing is remarkably efficient. Has somehow gotten better with age. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it with somewhat fresh eyes, having not seen it in 10+ years.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990): A
I'm a shameful Millennial. Born in '84. Watched the TMNT cartoon when I was a little kid. But until I happened to find it on Tubi TV I had never seen the original movie. I was pleasantly surprised; this movie has a lot of heart. The writers seemed aware of the slightly ridiculous source material and sort of went with it. I think it's better than the cartoon.

e:

The Dirty Dozen (1967): A+.
As a good leftist, I hate war. But I do love to watch loving Nazis get their poo poo pushed in, especially when it's done by a ragtag group of underdogs. Start to finish this was one of the best films I've seen in a while.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 4, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rewatched some Lynch films I haven't watched in at least 10 years over the weekend and watched Lost Highway for the first time since I got them all during Criterion's sale a few months ago:

Blue Velvet (1986) - Gorgeous film that shows its themes and meanings more directly than any of the other films I watched. Kyle MacLachlan and Laura Dern are great and Dennis Hopper's Frank Booth is pretty terrifying while also seeming somewhat darkly comical at many points. 4.5/5

Lost Highway (1997) - I only knew the soundtrack for this film so this was all new to me. I mostly enjoyed it but somehow felt like this had less plot than even Inland Empire even though that's not true really. That's not important necessarily but I still felt overall that this is a weaker film than the other three I watched. 3/5

Mulholland Drive (2001) - An incredibly good film that I think I like even more now than I did before. Not much to say that hasn't been said about it before and it will always be a 5/5 film for me.

Inland Empire (2006) - The camcorder recording for this film really helps with me feeling almost trapped within it and on edge for most of the 3 hour runtime. This is one of the only movies that ever has actually scared me with the imposed distorted face over the Phantom during the climax where he gets shot. Terrifies me every time along with Dern coming towards the camera and eventually taking up the whole frame with her face. This is the third time I've seen this and I think I appreciate something else about it every view. 5/5.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Beverly Hills Cop (1984, rewatch?) - A
Perfectly cast; a great engine for Murphy's talents. This was a treat to watch.

e: Chief Hubbard's voice is so familiar...where have I seen or heard him before?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 8, 2023

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I guess I havent updated this for a few months...

The Holy Mountain 4.5/5. First time watching this. I am entirely too dumb to get it, but I liked it.

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. 3/5 Wish rachel mcadams was my mom

The Descent 1.5/5. I really did not enjoy this. If it had stayed on focus with the caving instead of introducing that.... Yeah... I would have liked it a lot more.

The Thing. 4.5/5. Another one I had never watched. But absolutely loved it.

Evil Dead Rise. 2/5. It was alright I guess, but didnt do much for me.

Barbarian. 2/5. Much like evil dead rise.

Peter Pan & Wendy. 1.5/5. Wish I could say this was good, seeing as I usually like the director and it would be nice cause every anti woke idiot out there was hating on it from the first trailer... But it really wasnt good.

Beau Is Afraid. 5/5. I watched it at the cinema and then again when it was released on vod. The rewatch settled it, this is my favorite Ari Aster film.

Isle of dogs. 3/5. I liked it. Nothing amazing, but good fun.

Persona. 4/5. Can really see the influence this had on the future of films.

Earwig. 0/5. Absolutely terrible.

The Square. 4/5. Monkey man cool.

Women Talking. 3/5. They talked.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Super Mario Bros. (2023) - B-, I guess.
This movie made me feel old as gently caress.

You can say that this movie is for kids, but is it really? It feels like Hollywood pandering to the nostalgia of "elder" Millennials like me. It's less of a movie than one big wink-nudge of video game references. The story itself could be any Pixar/Illumination/etc movie with the Super Mario brand soldered on top, complete with an overabundance of bullet time moments (this movie really overdoes that effect).

I can't tell how much I'm a curmudgeon and how much it's my "I'm being pandered to" spidey sense going off, but the movie didn't do much for me except making me want to play Super Mario Bros.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
M:I Dead Reckoning: I think this is pretty easily the worst of the Mission Impossible movies despite having its fair share of fun stuff. Stretching things out to two movies puts way too much focus on the Macguffin and set-up.

Kind of surprised I didn't hear more about where the plot goes, which basically boils down to "Ethan Hunt, who is Jesus Christ, must find and kill God". That isn't even like half-jokey internet film analysis, the whole thing is draped in Christian allegory and they make the direct comparison several times. Weird movie!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morestuff posted:

M:I Dead Reckoning: I think this is pretty easily the worst of the Mission Impossible movies

Gotta agree, I thought it really sucked. Just a slog.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The last big set piece happening after the climax of the plot was real dumb.

Also kinda looked like poo poo, and was just a worse version of that exact scene from Jurassic Park 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The number of times a character says the words, "the key", "the entity", or "the train" had me kind of freaking out in this strung out state of boredom.

It all felt like it was plotted and scripted by a chatbot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought 2:45 was a pretty bulky package for two B+ action setpieces, but I think said setpieces still delivered the goods.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

General Dog posted:

I thought 2:45 was a pretty bulky package for two B+ action setpieces, but I think said setpieces still delivered the goods.

Yeah, they still worked for me even if nothing was as inspired as the opera scene in 5 or the bathroom fight in 6

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's for sure the weakest of the Bird/McQuarrie era, but it's still a lot more competently and cleverly crafted than most of what passes for big-budget action these days.

Just the gags with the Fiat in Rome beat out anything in the last 3 F&F movies or Dial of Destiny or, dare I say it, John Wick 4.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Solaris 8/10. I really liked it, but both Andrei Rublev and Stalker above it for me.

Barbie 8/10. Enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. I gotta say though, it misses the mark every now and then. But the amount of laughs it got from me, makes up for it. Easily. Margot Robbie, Gosling and loving Cera are all brilliant.

Asteroid city. 4/10. Man... It was not terrible, but it sure wasnt good either. That is two rather big misses for Wes Anderson in a row for me now.

Synecdoche, New York. 9/10. Brilliant. Slept on it for way too long

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Woodenlung posted:

Barbie 8/10. Enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. I gotta say though, it misses the mark every now and then. But the amount of laughs it got from me, makes up for it. Easily. Margot Robbie, Gosling and loving Cera are all brilliant.

Asteroid city. 4/10. Man... It was not terrible, but it sure wasnt good either. That is two rather big misses for Wes Anderson in a row for me now.

agree with both of these. Barbie could have cut a lot of the 2nd act and the entire executives stuff after their intro scene but otherwise really great.

Asteroid City never hooked me, mostly because the movie constantly kept telling me none of this matters. Just head up his rear end 100% now. I liked French Dispatch a good bit though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 30, 2023

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Bottom Liner posted:

Asteroid City never hooked me, mostly because the movie constantly kept telling me none of this matters. Just head up his rear end 100% now.

Yep that is the feeling you are left with now. Too high on his own farts. Was really looking forward to it as well, thought the trailer looked beautiful and interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

watched Oppenheimer on 35, that sound mix sucks! weird experiment in industry hype, not a good movie but interesting to think about

how did so many actors get attached to this weird whale of a film?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Five Easy Pieces (1970): A+
Not at all what I expected, especially having watched the diner scene, devoid of context, on YouTube. The longer the movie ran the more respect I had for Nicholson's character, though the sexual dynamics in this film aged like milk in the summer sunshine. Interesting character study. I could tell that Bobby was going to leave Rayette, and the idea of just leaving everything behind and just....going...is fascinating to me.

e: The more I think about this movie the better I like it. Amending my rating to A+ because it's one of the best I've seen lately.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 4, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Police Academy (1984): C
Stripes did the 'screwballs in boot' far better than this did, and Police Academy follows that movie's formula almost to a T. This is a bit tough to rate because a) I'm a police abolitionist and b) the racial and some of the sexual humor has aged extremely poorly in 40 years. I did, however, get a chuckle out of the speech scene and the horse scene. But overall there are far better misfit comedies out there than this.

e:

Rosemary's Baby (1968): A
Told an IRL friend, who is really into horror movies, that I had seen this film. "There's a lot to unpack in that movie" was partly his response. He's right.
The most horrifying scene for me was the end, when maternal instinct draws Rosemary to the (literal) abomination she birthed and she quietly seems to accept the child as her own. I half expected the movie to end with Rosemary slitting the child's throat. With the feminist themes in this movie, it's almost hard to call this a horror film, though it is scary in a tense, building way that's unlike other 'scary' movies I've seen before. Loved it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 11, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm trying to do director filmographies and I think I messed up. I should have eased into it with people that have a small body of work, instead I went with Spike Lee who was making a film a year for a while there.

Anywhoo here's my ratings for what I've seen so far (some of these I haven't seen in decades and changed my opinion on completely..like I loved Bamboozled 20 years ago, and seeing it again I realized how bad the final act gets)

She's Gotta Have It (1986) 3.5/5
School Daze (1988) 2/5
Do The Right Thing (1989) 4/5
Mo' Better Blues (1990) 3/5
Jungle Fever (1991) 2/5
Malcolm X (1992) 4.5/5 (this is actually the highest rating I've given anything so far on letterboxd)
Crooklyn (1994) 2.5/5
Clockers (1995) 2.5/5
Girl 6 (1996) 2.5/5
Summer of Sam (1999) 2.5/5
Bamboozled (2000) 2.5/5

aughts and up spike is way more miss than hit, but i'm committed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Crooklyn and Bamboozled are two of my favorite films of his but there's no denying Malcolm X is on another level.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Crooklyn and Bamboozled are two of my favorite films of his but there's no denying Malcolm X is on another level.

my biggest beefs with crooklyn; the child actors are very uneven in talent, which is fine, they are kids..but the movie is pretty much carried by their stories in this..and the uncorrected anamorphic switch in that last act was really offputting..which i know was by design, but just didn't do it for me as a directing choice..it has some really strong elements for sure though, and i liked the autobio aspects

and bamboozled is great when it's trying to do a producers style satire about how terrible the industry is, and also great when it shines a light at how bullshit the "representation" was and continues to be in media..but falls apart when it turns to thriller/melodrama at the end..and the video choice, while i get why, was done better in girl 6 where it's reversed (film majority, video segments..here video majority, film segments)..again, another choice he made i thought didn't work

dude is slept on, there's a few things like he got game, inside man, and 25th hour in this next block of work that ended up being hits..like even his average stuff is interesting to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I recently rewatched he got game for the first time since it came out. Still great, but the hooker scenes are unnecessary and the music is absolutely atrocious. He just has these rushes of blood to add awful things to his movies, which seems like his trademark.

But seeing ray allen bang “college girls” played by porn stars will never not be funny though.