Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
At my Costco the self check out is just a lovely crowded regular checkout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Armacham posted:

At my Costco the self check out is just a lovely crowded regular checkout

Your Costco has a self-checkout? That sounds horrible. How does that even work? Doesn't one go to Costco to buy hundreds of things at a time?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Your Costco has a self-checkout? That sounds horrible. How does that even work? Doesn't one go to Costco to buy hundreds of things at a time?

bonus: costco does not have the hand scanner like walmart does. good luck.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

credburn posted:

It worked so well that they just station employees there to scan all your stuff for you!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

credburn posted:

No you go to Costco to buy a dozen packages of 100 things apiece

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My Costco has self-checkout, and it’s usually faster than the normal lines and works fine. But I rarely run into issues with self-checkout and prefer it. :shrug:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I have also been to a self check out Costco but they seem to always have one employee helping at every self check stand so I don’t really get the point.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

self-checkout should be an express lane

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Costco has said express lanes are against the point of what Costco is.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Also, this isn't the Costco thread, which is a thing that exists for some reason

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Triikan posted:

Also, this isn't the Costco thread, which is a thing that exists for some reason

On topic for both threads is that Costco got rid of the diced onions for the $1.50 hot dogs

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cerekk posted:

On topic for both threads is that Costco got rid of the diced onions for the $1.50 hot dogs

You just have to ask at mine

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There's a special place in hell for people who take a cart full of groceries thru the self checkout.

Hell really went to poo poo when they started just letting anyone in .

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I was at a gas station that recently moved to self checkout, and you no longer scan things. You just drop it all on a table and some ai camera thing guesses the products with like 70% accuracy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we will tell our grandkids about the www and they won’t believe us

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

euphronius posted:

we will tell our grandkids about the www and they won’t believe us

Let's get you to bed grandpa

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

You Are A Elf posted:

I’m told most, if not all stores have the weight detector in the bagging area of self-checkout lanes for anti-theft purposes, but most stores decide to disable it because if you already scanned the item, you’re obviously gonna pay for it so where’s the theft? Fry’s is the only store that has it enabled and it sucks poo poo.

Holy poo poo, this blew my mind. How does this deter any theft?

I guess someone thought "hey they could wave the can around near the scanner and say "beep" and this stops that. drat that's so stupid.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 30, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ikanreed posted:

I was at a gas station that recently moved to self checkout, and you no longer scan things. You just drop it all on a table and some ai camera thing guesses the products with like 70% accuracy.

Is there a re-guess button that you can keep on pressing until it guess some expensive thing as a cheap one, as that sounds like fun!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

ikanreed posted:

This would create a culture where people figure out what things they can snake by that look like other things that are much less expensive

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jelly posted:

This would create a culture where people figure out what things they can snake by that look like other things that are much less expensive

This feels far more like the dystopian cyberpunk future we were promised.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
TikTok added some marketplace feature thing and now every 3rd video is a loving dropshipper with some dumb bullshit.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There is absolutely no way the automated scanning checkout AI is programmed to err on the user's side, like, ever.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Dollar General stores. We've had tons of them built in our area over the last few decades and no matter how nice or new they are, the moment they've been open a few years the interiors looks like completely wrecks and overpacked with stuff.

I can't quite figure it out as other discount stores tend to do a bit here and there with looking nice (Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Five Below, etc.) in their own ways.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Went to go see Oppenheimer and wow people have just unlearned how to be in a loving theater. I’ve seen a few in the past year or so and like half, have been dogshit experiences.

What I’ve noticed most are:
- people on their phones in the middle of the film like, loving LEAVE. Why pay to see a film if you’re doing this. gently caress you.

- people taking off their shoes, and occasionally, their socks as well. They sat next to me during a three hour movie. I wanted to jump out of my skin. gently caress you SF Bio, this screening had like five people why the gently caress did you only have a few seats open to book?? What am I being punished for??

Like the cost of the ticket alone wasn’t great, why are people paying to be on their phone during a film? and take their shoes off and behave like a loving child?? You can just stay the gently caress home for free.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Why not move seats once it started?

At least movies aren't like concerts yet where everyone has to have their phone in the air recording it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I haven't been to a movie theater since like 2016 and I feel like I've made the right decision

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Why not move seats once it started?

At least movies aren't like concerts yet where everyone has to have their phone in the air recording it.

Sometimes you get a real picky usher that’ll get in your face for moving seats here.

Also lol, I saw that during Barbie. Like I love posting to my IG stories but I know the loving line

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

wilderthanmild posted:

TikTok added some marketplace feature thing and now every 3rd video is a loving dropshipper with some dumb bullshit.

Oh TikTok's been doing that for ages. E-commerce is one of its big revenue stream, just like Instagram.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

teen witch posted:

Sometimes you get a real picky usher that’ll get in your face for moving seats here.

Also lol, I saw that during Barbie. Like I love posting to my IG stories but I know the loving line

an usher? lol theaters can barely find enough workers to man the ticket and concessions booth.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Here's my "old man yells at clouds" moment. Now that I have a family of 4, I generally have enough groceries to warrant the lanes with actual checkers. But the last few months, the people working the checkout can't even muster a single word while I'm in their line. No "hello," "did you find everything okay?" etc. etc. Just nothing. I mean I get it. You work for Kroger and they're rear end, but I try to sort my poo poo out a logical way for bagging and will do my own bagging if enough baggers aren't available.

So I just said "gently caress it. I'll just do the self check out." Except it is such a pain in the rear end. Every 10 or so items it magically decides I didn't bag something that I just bagged. Or just says that I need assistance for no discernible reason whatsoever. Like, the only winning move is not to play.

Lol I'm sorry but deliberately inconveniencing yourself because the cashiers aren't smiling enough for you is kinda beyond just yelling at clouds, that's firmly into Boomer territory.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"I would normally be satisfied with the job a machine does, but I have to go to a normal line because I buy more at once now. What, why doesn't my temporarily assigned servant smile more and say things to please me that I know are meaningless?!"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Please tell me where to find the grocery store where the cashiers aren't required to pretend they care how my day is going, so that I can shop there.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Please tell me where to find the grocery store where the cashiers aren't required to pretend they care how my day is going, so that I can shop there.
I have never been to a grocery store where they give a gently caress about me in my entire life, where do you live

some people make small talk because they're lonely, but that's different

the only people who pretend to actually care or get in my business are salesmen who work at high ticket stores

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Meijer used to have self checkout lanes with a conveyer belt, but they ripped them all out for regular lovely self checkouts where you're crammed right against the person trying to check out right next to you. Why couldn't they remove a couple of regular check out lines instead of the cool self checkout lanes to put the lovely ones in?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

post itt if you're here to complain about checkout lines or checkers greeting you

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Here's my "old man yells at clouds" moment. Now that I have a family of 4, I generally have enough groceries to warrant the lanes with actual checkers. But the last few months, the people working the checkout can't even muster a single word while I'm in their line. No "hello," "did you find everything okay?" etc. etc. Just nothing. I mean I get it. You work for Kroger and they're rear end, but I try to sort my poo poo out a logical way for bagging and will do my own bagging if enough baggers aren't available.

So I just said "gently caress it. I'll just do the self check out." Except it is such a pain in the rear end. Every 10 or so items it magically decides I didn't bag something that I just bagged. Or just says that I need assistance for no discernible reason whatsoever. Like, the only winning move is not to play.

I used to do a lot of night grocery shopping in grad school, only self-checkouts available. I made rear end for money and relied on the specials/discounts/etc but half of them weren’t programmed into the self checkouts. I just shoplifted to make up the difference and I don’t feel even a little bit bad about it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You should feel bad for not shoplifting ebough

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Every produce item is a banana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Phone menu preambles are getting longer. It's not a drat constitution, just get me to the part where I press 3 to pay my bill.