Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Imagine if you could experience the entire march to and retreat from Moscow without actually leaving your trench in front of Bakhmut thanks to climate change

I think the AMOC shutting down wouldn't affect Ukraine much, but the gas huffing Central & Western Europeans are boned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why is Poutine a national dish? It's arguably worse than fish and chips.

because canadians like to pretend theyre better than americans when theyre jsut americans who speak french

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

because canadians like to pretend theyre better than americans when theyre jsut americans who speak french

Arguably Canadians are worse than Americans because they earnestly beleive they're less racist than Americans while doing what they've done to First Nations people and loving Nazi symbols

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh holy poo poo, lol

Brad Thor- Dead Fall posted:

Lethal operative Scot Harvath is dispatched to avenge the killing of American citizens abroad in #1 New York Times and #1 Wall Street Journal bestselling author Brad Thor’s new pulse-pounding thriller.

In the war-ravaged borderlands of Ukraine, a Russian mercenary unit has gone rogue. Its members, conscripted from the worst prisons and mental asylums across Russia, are the most criminally violent, psychologically dangerous combatants to ever set foot upon the modern battlefield.

With all attention focused on the frontlines, they have pushed deeper into the interior to wage a campaign of unspeakable barbarity. As they move from village to village, committing horrific war crimes, they meet little resistance as all able-bodied men are off fighting the war.

Simultaneously, a team of Russian soldiers has been dispatched by the Kremlin to loot truckloads of art and priceless cultural treasures hidden away in a host of churches, museums, and private homes.

When multiple American aid workers are killed, America’s top spy, Scot Harvath, is sent in to settle the score. But in a country so vast, will Harvath be able to find the men in question and, more importantly, will he be able to stop them before they can kill again?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Arguably Canadians are worse than Americans because they earnestly beleive they're less racist than Americans while doing what they've done to First Nations people and loving Nazi symbols

Don't forget how we treated the Japanese who built our railroads to secure the 49th parallel as our border.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"Scot" with one "t"....hosed up

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The JAO is treated as some sort of cynical joke on Stalin's part but it's genuinely one of the best chunks of land in all of Russia. Great soil, great climate (well winters are rough), beautiful as hell, poo poo tons of resources.

I'll take your word on the soil but the climate doesn't look too good to me. It's got a short sharp growing / warm season where it's overcast a third of the time. At least it has good rainfall then.
My source if you want to look at all the graphs.
https://weatherspark.com/y/143222/Average-Weather-in-Birobidzhan-Russia-Year-Round

Here's a couple of key agricultural metrics compared to London.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/143222~45062/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Birobidzhan-and-London

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Dongbei/Manchuria has very cold winter but also has very fertile earth to grow rice.

I don't think rice has ever been popular there, sorghum, corn, wheat and soy I believe.

Nix Panicus posted:

Excuse me, thats the Nigerian Revolution of Dignity, and it was a 100% organic response that everyone loved and supported

*Nigerien* ie from Niger.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I hope more Ukrainians start complaining about this demon crackkker nation.

The Mediterranean climate is formed by trade winds from cold and hot climates intersecting with each other in such a way that keeps the temperature mild all year. It's very similar to how Europe isn't as cold as Russia because of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation current. If the geographic circumstances are just right then latitude doesn't matter.

While I'm playing around with weather data, Kiev and Toronto have pretty similar temperature patterns, Kiev is about 7 degrees further north. But if she's moved from Odessa to Montreal for instance there is a pretty big difference.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/19863~96633~96562~25077/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Toronto-Kiev-Odessa-and-Montr%C3%A9al

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Oh holy poo poo, lol

:eyepop:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Oh holy poo poo, lol

there’s a troop of degenerate murder-rapists going from town to town wreaking havoc, but nobody knows where to find them.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I think we can all agree we support Ukraine in its defense of its national sovereignty in crimea

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe there should be a thread poll

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

maybe there should be a thread poll

A public poll, voting booth style:

Do you:
A) Support President Zelensky [ ]
OR
B) Volunteer for immediate frontline conscription [ ]

Please hand your voting slip to the soldiers manning the voting hallway to exit so your vote can be counted.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Was Wagner actually recruiting from psychiatric care hospitals? I remember hearing something about that but I was pretty sure at the time it was something Ukraine made up to try and smear the recruiting process that was going on lol

**by this I mean to say, recruiting people with mental illness is something that would only actually make sense in a military context in a American spy novel lol

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the general rule is, if ukraine/the west is accusing russia of doing something, then ukraine/the west is definitely doing it themselves

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Starsfan posted:

Was Wagner actually recruiting from psychiatric care hospitals? I remember hearing something about that but I was pretty sure at the time it was something Ukraine made up to try and smear the recruiting process that was going on lol

where do you think we found all the tankies to post itt

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Surely the people who "made the desert bloom" could make do in a much more hospitable climate. It's also nice than the Pale of Settlement where they came from, so...? Why does Israel exist?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Israel exists because of a covenant with God. iirc

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

wagner recruited a crack squad from a psychiatric hospital. they're lethal... insanely lethal.

there's striker - he has depression, he welcomes death and will off himself the second he gets his gun.
there's slim - she has anorexia and presents a smaller target. she'll starve after a few weeks.
there's wildcard - he's a real schizophrenic and you know what that means: he immediately deserts to go stalk some celebrity
there's grace - she's catatonic... in the face of danger... and also at any other time.

i don't know what people who fantasise about recruiting patients from psychiatric hospitals expect. a group of hannibal lecters tearing their way through the battlefield?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

America closed all its psychiatric hospitals in the 1980s to prevent this exact circumstance

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

Israel exists because of a covenant with God. iirc

A new covenant was formed when God was crucified and the temple destroyed.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Megamissen posted:

niger not nigeria, easy mistake to make
e: just noticed the names in your name are not capitalized, gotta edit some posts

oh whoops yeah i mixed em up

i never noticed Nigerien refers to Niger and Nigerian refers to Nigeria until just now

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What's up with the rumours there might be a Coalition of the Willing to liberate them, and where's the thread to discuss?

I want to gossip about Tony Blair trying to get the Commonwealth to assemble a brigade group to invade Zimbabwe in the late 90's early 00's.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Orange Devil posted:

The Inca civilization only arose 700-800 years ago, bitch.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wagner was recruiting the most badass motherfuckers from the Dark Carrnival

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

the general rule is, if ukraine/the west is accusing russia of doing something, then ukraine/the west is definitely doing it themselves

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/29/europe/ukraine-christmas-date-change-intl/index.html

This article seems to imply that Putin created the orthodox church. O_o

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

haha. nyt is running an article about Russia damaging churches in Odessa

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

What's up with the rumours there might be a Coalition of the Willing to liberate them, and where's the thread to discuss?

I want to gossip about Tony Blair trying to get the Commonwealth to assemble a brigade group to invade Zimbabwe in the late 90's early 00's.

spec ops will fix this

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

haha. nyt is running an article about Russia damaging churches in Odessa

Let's hope nobody remembers all the hooting and hollaring about Ukraine demolishing the Russian churches with bulldozers, complete with celebratory before and after shots.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Zerg Mans posted:

I think we can all agree we support Ukraine in its defense of its national sovereignty in crimea

A nation can't have national sovereignty in a place it's never been a majority imo.

Frosted Flake posted:

Surely the people who "made the desert bloom" could make do in a much more hospitable climate. It's also nice than the Pale of Settlement where they came from, so...? Why does Israel exist?

IDK Belarus seems pretty nice and Ukraine obviously includes some of the most fertile land in the world. What makes you say the JAO is nicer?

Belarus: (image may or may not have been selected to appeal to FF)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the church that was damaged in Odessa is still perfectly fine and people are walking around in it wo hard hats

Jul 30, 2023
nobody privatized syria

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Oh holy poo poo, lol

what are the chances that these Russian villages they're looting dont have electricity or plumbing?

someone should read it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

what are the chances that these Russian villages they're looting dont have electricity or plumbing?

someone should read it

Page 56:

Ace approached the liberated village outhouse, his custom chromed blacked out multicam swiss made FN-2000 with the underslung shotgun / grenade attachement loaded and side mounted bayonet at the ready. That breakfast burrito weighed heavily on his mind. He easily disarmed another primitive Russian booby trap consisting of two tin cans hiding a grenade then checked out the interior.

"drat" he muttered to himself, through his limited edition Bungie store Destiny 2: Forsaken Edition neck gaiter.

It was gone. The toilet was just gone. Smashed out by the looks of it. The Russians had been careful not to damage their prize but not being able to use tools they'd instead crudely ripped up the floor and part of the wall and taken the whole lot with them. The bastards.

Ace's breakfast burrito continued to rumble.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Their counter-offensive is outperforming expectations

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4123794-does-ukraine-have-a-second-summer-push-up-its-sleeve/

Does Ukraine have a second summer push up its sleeve?
BY BRAD DRESS
07/28/23 5:42 AM ET

John Herbst, a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine and now a senior director of the Atlantic Council’s Eurasia Center, said Ukraine has slightly outperformed his expectations.

He pointed to Bakhmut in particular, where Ukrainian troops are retaking swaths of territory after Russia expended thousands of troops over a year to seize the city.

“If they were to close off Bakhmut and capture 10,000 or 15,000 Russian soldiers, that will be a significant defeat, with real political ramifications,” Herbst said.

He also argued that if Ukraine retakes up to 500 square miles of territory by the end of the operation, that would still be a victory.

“That’s not an impressive feat,” Herbst said. “But it compares very nicely with the failure of the Russian counteroffensive, which took nine months to take Bakhmut.”

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fizzy posted:

Good news for Ukraine - Their counter-offensive is outperforming expectations

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4123794-does-ukraine-have-a-second-summer-push-up-its-sleeve/

Does Ukraine have a second summer push up its sleeve?
BY BRAD DRESS
07/28/23 5:42 AM ET

John Herbst, a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine and now a senior director of the Atlantic Council’s Eurasia Center, said Ukraine has slightly outperformed his expectations.

He pointed to Bakhmut in particular, where Ukrainian troops are retaking swaths of territory after Russia expended thousands of troops over a year to seize the city.

“If they were to close off Bakhmut and capture 10,000 or 15,000 Russian soldiers, that will be a significant defeat, with real political ramifications,” Herbst said.

He also argued that if Ukraine retakes up to 500 square miles of territory by the end of the operation, that would still be a victory.

“That’s not an impressive feat,” Herbst said. “But it compares very nicely with the failure of the Russian counteroffensive, which took nine months to take Bakhmut.”

If you flip over the tin on the bottom of the packaging it reads "for domestic consumption only".

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

There's a video making the rounds of a single Russian tank taking out an entire armored column of Ukraine.

The the commentary from the Russian onlookers is pretty hilarious as they watch in amazement/disbelief.

IK edit: thread consensus seems to be we draw the line at videos of tanks full of people in them getting blown up, even if it's pretty far off or abstract

Somebody has issued a correction as of 04:58 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Gresh posted:

There's a video making the rounds of a single Russian tank taking out an entire armored column of Ukraine.

The the commentary from the Russian onlookers is pretty hilarious as they watch in amazement/disbelief.

IK edit: thread consensus seems to be we draw the line at videos of tanks full of people in them getting blown up, even if it's pretty far off or abstract

speng31b posted:

last time ppl started posting a bunch of blown up tanks in the distance videos itt they missed a bunch of poo poo like people running out of the vehicles on fire and it was dumb and gross so let's just not post that plz, im not going to go squinting at pixels in videos to see if something hosed up got posted im just gonna edit it out