Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Presumably, yeah.

Acolyte also wrapped at the start of June so it's unlikely to be too affected by the strikes.

No actor promo at least. A lot of films are getting pushed because of that alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Lando series is apparently still alive and Donald Glover will be reprising his role from Solo

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/donald-glover-stephen-write-lando-series-disney-justin-simien-exits-1235681988/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know a lot of people have put forward the idea of having old Lando narrating his adventures as a young man and I am totally here for that.

Every episode has Billy Dee Williams sitting on a park bench or something, chatting with a pretty girl about his old adventures, with young Lando played by Glover.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know a lot of people have put forward the idea of having old Lando narrating his adventures as a young man and I am totally here for that.

Every episode has Billy Dee Williams sitting on a park bench or something, chatting with a pretty girl about his old adventures, with young Lando played by Glover.

I mean, we know Billy is super easy to get back so that’d actually be plausible

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I’ll accept this only if Old Lando is an unreliable narrator boasting about everything he did, while Young Lando is having a much less smooth time of things.

Mostly I just want a framing device that lets us put all the more bombastic and kiddy Star Wars (which I love) down as overly heroic stories told by nostalgic vets wearing rose-coloured glasses.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't know if we really need intimations that billy dee, pushing 90 by the time this show would enter production, is putting the moves on pretty girls.

But hey I guess he did it to his own daughter in star wars 9 so perhaps nothing's beyond the pale for galactic superstar lando

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

I’ll accept this only if Old Lando is an unreliable narrator boasting about everything he did, while Young Lando is having a much less smooth time of things.

Mostly I just want a framing device that lets us put all the more bombastic and kiddy Star Wars (which I love) down as overly heroic stories told by nostalgic vets wearing rose-coloured glasses.

It's a pretty funny mental image to cut out of Glover fighting to within an inch of his life to Williams talking about how everything went off without a hitch to a rando woman at a space bar

e: Googled Billy Dee Williams to support and Old Lando still womanizing and he's been married for 50 years, nice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah that's the perfect framing device.

"I remember it fondly. The Selonian Queen was no match for my charms, and was soon under my spell."

Smash cut to Childish Landino getting the poo poo slapped out of him by an otter lady.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That concept reminds me an old FPS named of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger a bit. That game had a lot of fun with an unreliable narrator.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Parkingtigers posted:

So kinda like the movie Big Fish? I can get behind that.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah that's the perfect framing device.

"I remember it fondly. The Selonian Queen was no match for my charms, and was soon under my spell."

Smash cut to Childish Landino getting the poo poo slapped out of him by an otter lady.

lol even better.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Speaking of...

https://twitter.com/realbdw/status/1684962452528918528?s=20

Curious how the timing of all this lines up with the strike.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know if we really need intimations that billy dee, pushing 90 by the time this show would enter production, is putting the moves on pretty girls.

This is Lando you’re talking about. The tone for his interaction with women is set by a movie in which he starts macking on Leia from the moment he sees her, despite her obvious disinterest, the presence of her kinda-boyfriend, and the fact that he is in the process of selling her out to imperial goons

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So basically young indiana jones but with Lando instead? Sounds :krad:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mama Calrisian always said Life is like a box of [some extremely goofy starwars name for chocolate]. "

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

If they decide to go ahead with the "Jannah is Lando's long-lost daughter" thing, he's even got a built-in road trip partner to call bullshit on his tall tales.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I really thought the lando/jannah relation had been confirmed, though a quick search confirms you are as always correct.

Honestly good for them, not that that character is worth caring about or revisiting but it's the right call

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think that was part of a bunch of pre-release leaks, and likely WAS in earlier cuts, but got removed for more of a "wink wink she could be lol" resolution for the 2. Either way it was stupid.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I thought it because I was aware there was a book that came out after star wars 9 establishing lando had a daughter who got kidnapped and turned into a stormtrooper by the first order.

But it turns out that was not jannah apparently

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I thought it because I was aware there was a book that came out after star wars 9 establishing lando had a daughter who got kidnapped and turned into a stormtrooper by the first order.

But it turns out that was not jannah apparently

Doesn't he say that in the movie? Or imply it? Which is why Jannah + the ending is so weird. Not only way too convenient but annoying that there are 3 black people in star wars and 2 of them are related.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

poo poo on me if you must, but I don't think having one of like four black people in a galaxy far far away be related and having them just run into each other for no reason to find out is a good thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
JJ filmed EP 9 so ofc they were related because he thought it would be cool to have everyone on screen tied together somehow

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Rian: Your parents are nerf herders, nobodies. Real basic bitches.

JJ: You all might be related to Jar Jar, coincidentally.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jerkface posted:

I think that was part of a bunch of pre-release leaks, and likely WAS in earlier cuts, but got removed for more of a "wink wink she could be lol" resolution for the 2. Either way it was stupid.

This was the same movie with Finn saying her had to tell Rey something and then it never happened. It's all the same crap.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was going to tell her he needed to poop

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm trying to temper my expectations because I had such high hopes for years for an Obi Wan series, but Donald Glover was the best thing about Solo and and he's also an incredibly talented writer in addition to actor so gently caress it, I'm setting my hype levels to unreasonable!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

He was going to tell her he needed to poop

Finn: Rey? Rey can you hear me?
Rey: Yeah.
Finn: There's something I have to tell you.
Rey: What? What is it?
Finn: I cheated in the contest.
Poe: What?
Rey: What?
Finn: The contest - I cheated.
Rey: Why?
Finn: Because I'm a cheater! I had to tell you.
Rey: Great - I won.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Mama Calrisian always said Life is like a box of [some extremely goofy starwars name for chocolate]. "

Blentus Fritters

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i wonder what Lucas thinks of the strikes, given that he made the prequels without sag-aftra approval because they wouldn't let him not have opening credits

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lucas has a pretty long history of fighting against unions - the opening credits thing actually happened all the way back in the 80's. They let it slide for A New Hope, but he resigned from the guild when they fined him for it on Empire. It definitely makes things consistent across all the movies, but I wonder if it hurt Irvin Kershner or Richard Marquand's careers at all to not have their names right up front.

Lucas also clashed with the unions when filming the Original Trilogy - mainly on A New Hope, since the British crew didn't give a gently caress about the movie aside from doing the work and getting paid, so he couldn't get them to stay late or delay their breaks if he was in the middle of filming something when they were supposed to stop working.

Then Gary Oldman dropped out of Revenge of the Sith after recording dialogue for General Grievous because he didn't want to break union rules. They ended up replacing him with one of the sound editors.

Later in 2005, Lucas clashed with the unions over contracts for the hundred or so sound editors working at Skywalker Ranch. They wanted a national contract that would allow their benefits to transfer more easily across the country (Skywalker Ranch about a 6 hour drive from LA, so most people working there would have moved from somewhere else, potentially leaving behind family to do so).

During the 2007-2008 strike Lucas was unaffected because, even though The Clone Wars was in production at the time, the WGA and IATSE couldn't agree on which union actually represented writers on animated projects. I imagine he would have been pretty pissed if his brand new, very expensive show was delayed due to the strike though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Lucas has a pretty long history of fighting against unions - the opening credits thing actually happened all the way back in the 80's. They let it slide for A New Hope, but he resigned from the guild when they fined him for it on Empire. It definitely makes things consistent across all the movies, but I wonder if it hurt Irvin Kershner or Richard Marquand's careers at all to not have their names right up front.

To expound, he left the Directors Guild because they were pissed that he had the Fox and Lucasfilm bumpers only before the crawl. They let him slide for ANH because he was the director, but they rightly objected when he did it to Kershner for ESB.

He also broke SAG rules with THX 1138, in that the bald cult members he'd recruited to be background were actually mic'ed up and directed, either of which qualifies you for principal pay. I expected him to have broken the rules by getting the cult members in the first place, but it turns out no one wanted to shave their head for a couple extra bucks.

Side story: I was working on a lower budget show and one day had a bunch of guest principals. The SAG rep was standing at village watching to make sure we were playing by the rules and saw a boom mic over some background and raised a complaint. They ran playback and you could hear the mixer say "oh, go somewhere else, I think those are background" and our line producer did a whole little dance.

SAG-AFTRA is a great union and I hope they take the AMPTP to the cleaners.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That sounds like a cool story of I knew what any of it meant.
(And I want to know)

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure what context you're missing, but background actors are paid a certain rate, and they can't have any spoken lines or they have to get bumped up to another rate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm not sure what context you're missing, but background actors are paid a certain rate, and they can't have any spoken lines or they have to get bumped up to another rate.

I don't know what the following is/are:
Guest Principals
The village
The second use of background
Why being told to stand elsewhere matters, but you explained that one

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't know what the following is/are:
Guest Principals
The village
The second use of background
Why being told to stand elsewhere matters, but you explained that one

Guest principal actors: speaking actors on SAG contracts just there for two days. There were a bunch of them and the sound dept didn't know who was whom.
Village: Video Village. The screens where everyone watches what's being filmed
Background: used as a noun for background actors after the word "extra" was retired

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Why was extra retired?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm nearly done with Rebels now. I'm surprised that the introduction of time travel hasn't completely torn the fanbase apart over the last few years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

stev posted:

I'm nearly done with Rebels now. I'm surprised that the introduction of time travel hasn't completely torn the fanbase apart over the last few years.

People keep suggesting it as a way to retcon the sequels despite it being a terrible idea.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm just looking forward to Filoni Ahsoka using it to save Plo Koon so he can be used in other projects

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I mean, if that doesn't happen at some point in Ahsoka, then Filoni is perpetrating malpractice.

I just automatically assumed everything he's done up to this point with regards to Star Wars was building up to that exact event.

The Longest Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To be fair, I don't think anyone would complain too loudly if Ahsoka being present post-OT caused the First Order to die in its infancy and negate the existence of the sequel trilogy altogether.

The planned post-sequel trilogy movie prevents that happening, but it'd real funny if it could.