Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

I thought that was the 60s one.

It was one of the two at least (though I do remember the 90’s series ending with Peter meeting Stan Lee)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

S+P on 90's Spider-man was pretty notorious, but not terribly worse than anything else (See: Alex Hirsch fighting with Disney on Gravity Falls)

Here's a good interview about it
https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-the-animated-series-john-semper-ernie-altbacker-interview/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While we’re on the subject, how were the post 90’s Spider-Man cartoons out of curiosity (that is, from the MTV one onward)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 29, 2023

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

While we’re on the subject, how were the post 90’s Spider-Man cartoons out of curiosity (that is, from the MTV one onward)?

Spectacular Spiderman at least was incredibly solid and about as continuity driven with some amazing fight scenes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spectacular Spider-man is very good
Everything else is "fine" more or less

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember liking the one where there was a mini-team with a teenage Iron Fist and White Tiger and stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Junpei posted:

I remember liking the one where there was a mini-team with a teenage Iron Fist and White Tiger and stuff.

Hey, no trolling in this thread please.

(On a serious note Spectacular was the last Spidey show I really enjoyed watching. We'll see how the new one goes)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know, also despite the restrictions I seem to remember the 90’s show getting away with some pretty dark stuff at times (they even managed to bring in a watered down version of Carnage and The Punisher at one point)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 29, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spectacular Spiderman was canceled and replaced by the Disney-produced Ultimate Spiderman and the fans reacted the same way that Teen Titans fans reacted when TT GO! was made and the old show stopped airing.

Difference is that Spectacular Spiderman was a great show whole the original Titans cartoon was just alright.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 29, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The original Teen Titans was something weird and unique stylistically on top of having the type of plot that young angsty teens could really fall for, it's easy to see it could really draw in a loyal audience who would get upset about the new and different thing, even though TTG is also good.

Sockser posted:

S+P on 90's Spider-man was pretty notorious, but not terribly worse than anything else (See: Alex Hirsch fighting with Disney on Gravity Falls)

Here's a good interview about it
https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-the-animated-series-john-semper-ernie-altbacker-interview/

It also got absolutely wrecked by 9/11 because they had to cut a lot of wide shots of the city and mostly scrap an episode about a skyscraper being attacked.

Larryb posted:

The MTV one is pretty bad both from a plot standpoint and from early CG.

Spectacular Spiderman is pretty great and manages to link all the comicbook developments into one steady narrative with a lot of characters getting established long before they become plot relevant. It really gets into Peter Parker's weird teen angst from being constantly overwhelmed by all the things he's dealing with. They also take the thing from the earlier decades of the comics where Peter has a bunch of girls circling around him as prospective love interests.

Haven't really watched any of the Spiderman series since that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though in the Teen Titans cartoon’s defense, Slade is a way better name than Deathstroke and is a rare example of censorship actually improving on the original source material (they gave Starfire a much better design/personality as well)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Spectacular Spiderman was canceled and replaced by the Disney-produced Ultimate Spiderman and the fans reacted the same way that Teen Titans fans reacted when TT GO! was made and the old show stopped airing.

The same thing also happened to Avengers: EMH and the Disney Avengers. Jeph Loeb put the brakes on multi-episode story arcs in EMH because he claimed kids didn't like them (or get them) so Avengers was episodic until it also started doing the same thing but Loeb was busy with "real" TV by then so he didn't care.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Having Ron Perlman also helped sell Slade. Chris Parnell sounds fine but there's really no competition in which Deathstroke sounds more intimidating.

To be fair to the original Teen Titans show I do think its voice cast is excellent and it's by no means a bad watch. It just happened to come out in the early 2000s when WB and Cartoon Network cued into the fact that anime exists and Titans and a lot of other shows applied that visual style in a pretty cringey fashion that hasn't aged particularly well.

I also grew up watching the DCAU shows which were cool and badass to 10-year old me and I had an inherent bias against cuteness.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The same thing also happened to Avengers: EMH and the Disney Avengers. Jeph Loeb put the brakes on multi-episode story arcs in EMH because he claimed kids didn't like them (or get them) so Avengers was episodic until it also started doing the same thing but Loeb was busy with "real" TV by then so he didn't care.

So I take it Ultimate Spider-Man wasn’t very good then?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ultimate Spiderman is fine, but nothing Spectacular. Clark Gregg returns as Coulson in a really unconvincing "disguise" to keep an eye on Peter which is pretty amusing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have there been any other shows since then aside from the upcoming Freshman Year?

Also for that matter, does the 90’s show still hold up? I was thinking of possibly doing a rewatch eventually

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There was a 2017 animated series simply called Spider-Man that aired on Disney XD or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

There was a 2017 animated series simply called Spider-Man that aired on Disney XD or something.

How was that?

Also is there anything worthwhile about the MTV show? The visuals don’t look that great and from what I’m hearing the plot’s not much better

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the one thing I know about that one is that Robbie Daymond voiced Peter there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved OG Teen Titan's 'tell' - you could tell if an episode was going to be wacky (like the Mad mod episodes and the TV dude, generally the best episodes of the series imo) because the intro would be in Japanese. I think that's what that meant anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the first 5 episodes of the 1987 TMNT series are now up on the official YouTube channel (complete with a horrible new version of the main theme because Nick couldn’t get the rights to the original apparently):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cA5yaZ4f8jI

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

90s Spider-Man is like the one Spider-Man media property that ever came close to fully encapsulating the absolute insanity of the Spider-Man comics and all their bullshit plot turns. If it'd existed at the time, it probably would have adapted One More Day and played it 100% straight.

Much like X-Men. All the 90s Marvel shows did a lot of almost 1:1 adaptations of some weird-rear end comics to their credit... and perhaps to their detriment because a lot of comics really need a little bit more adjustment to a new form of media.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do like how the MAWS version of Slade Wilson is so obviously, 100% the sort of guy who would call himself 'Deathstroke the Terminator' if he could get away with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darth Walrus posted:

I do like how the MAWS version of Slade Wilson is so obviously, 100% the sort of guy who would call himself 'Deathstroke the Terminator' if he could get away with it.

Every time he opens his mouth I expect the voice of Pete White from Venture Bros to come out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved OG Teen Titan's 'tell' - you could tell if an episode was going to be wacky (like the Mad mod episodes and the TV dude, generally the best episodes of the series imo) because the intro would be in Japanese. I think that's what that meant anyway.

Mad Mod had some legit amazing animation, I highly recommend looking up some clips if you haven't seen it lately.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Arc Hammer posted:

To be fair to the original Teen Titans show I do think its voice cast is excellent and it's by no means a bad watch. It just happened to come out in the early 2000s when WB and Cartoon Network cued into the fact that anime exists and Titans and a lot of other shows applied that visual style in a pretty cringey fashion that hasn't aged particularly well.

Back then it was extremely this that annoyed me about it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See I'm young enough that sweat drops and cross-pop veins and wavey purple lines are just Things to me and I have no strong opinion on them in anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whether or not i enjoy gonk reaction faces depends on the show but even so it felt jarring when cartoons started doing it all around the same time.

Speaking of another show from back then that had definite anime influence, Discotek Media has also got a re-release of Cybersix coming out:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1685332346327953408?t=Xp-44Hu5zbvj_75gYPp36A&s=19

God this show was pretty.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 30, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Even as a child I thought it was annoying how every season finale gets resolved with "and then they decide to stop losing and win instantly." That's it that's my Teen Titans thoughts.

e: also since Slade/Deathstroke is relevant again in MAWS: what was with hiding his face. Surely an eyepatch is not gruesome enough even for a kids cartoon. It was cool though.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 30, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Deathstroke is literally just Deadpool if the people after Rob Leinfeld hadn't decided to poo poo all over his original vision for the character.

So it's easy to see why they poo poo all over the original vision for the character.

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of another show from back then that had definite anime influence, Discotek Media has also got a re-release of Cybersix coming out:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1685332346327953408?t=Xp-44Hu5zbvj_75gYPp36A&s=19

God this show was pretty.

I go back and forth on the art, but it's certainly high-detail.

Better with the song too.

Argentinanime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was Cybersix any good? I’ve only ever seen a small handful of clips

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

Was Cybersix any good? I’ve only ever seen a small handful of clips

It's decent. It's toned down a lot from the original comic to make it more workable as an all ages cartoon (they took out the explicit connections to the nazis for the main villain) but at the end of the day it's still a story about a crossdressing superhero and her brother trapped in the body of a panther fighting evil (and not so evil) monsters of the week experiments and battling a funny little shithead trying to run a crime ring.

I wouldn't call it a must watch series but as a curiosity it's definitely worth a look. Main theme song is really good but the overall show music is rather meh. Not that many cartoons had particularly good music at the time, or even now, come to think of it. Can't all have Shirley Walker scores.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 30, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also looking it up it seems the TV show Dark Angel allegedly ripped off the comic’s story more than a little bit

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TT '03 is the one time Slade has been genuinely cool and it's because they jettisoned all the parts of comics!Slade that made him deeply pathetic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They also gave him an amazing voice actor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also looking it up it seems the TV show Dark Angel allegedly ripped off the comic’s story more than a little bit

I've seen that '50 points of similarity' the Cybersix creators made between the two as well and a lot of those could also be seen as similarity between Dark Angel and Battle Angle Alita which Cameron had wanted to make for ages (and finally did, and it was good) or they're just so generic as to be pointless.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTGp18qLvlU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked the character development with Raven as she realised that her friends were in her corner despite her not wanting them to be there simply because they wouldn't leave her alone. Despite being total opposites in many ways she grew very close to Starfire, BeastBoy and Cyborg on their varying adventures, particularly in Nevemore and the episode where her and Starfire swap bodies. Also in the bad future episode where Starfire disappears, Raven's worst case scenario is being allowed to isolate herself.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 30, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how much did they have to water down Raven’s backstory for the show (as I seem to recall the comic’s version involving sexual assault which obviously wouldn’t fly in a kid’s show)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh they just replaced that in the show with mind flaying trauma instead. They don't really go too deep into her backstory but that doesn't mean they don't throw Raven into some dark poo poo. The episode where Slade pushes Raven to unleash her powers is not subtle at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myki_FSyaNs

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 30, 2023