Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

No, I mean Musk is also happy about the DoD buying his stuff and using it however they want to. Russia is not dumb enough to try to retaliate against DoD contractors for the work they did for DoD, because the DoD would take that personally.

It's a way of removing both agency and risk from SpaceX on the matter, and also probably adding some extra margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
That is attributing far more sense to musk that is probably appropriate.

Also coming out of the trump :matters: era, there was some question as to whether billionaires could just openly sass the MIC and get away with it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Musk just gets quietly told by an aonymous well dressed stranger the DoD has been bankrolling SpaceX so give them what they want

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1685316726798331906?s=20
If you still believe anything the Puccian state tells you, that's on you at this point

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
putin is a hosed up person

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Celexi posted:

putin is a hosed up person

Someone needs to clean his clock, OP.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Someone needs to clean his diaper too

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
There is a phone app?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

blyat

shits pants falls down stairs cries about gay bears.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

moscow having some air defense issues

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1685473497785552896?s=20

was it ever revealed where these drones are being launched from? seems a long way from ukraine and a lot of eyeballs along the way to spot them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

appropriatemetaphor posted:

moscow having some air defense issues

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1685473497785552896?s=20

was it ever revealed where these drones are being launched from? seems a long way from ukraine and a lot of eyeballs along the way to spot them

There's a lot of hypothesis about them being false flags to encourage the Russian populace to fall in line with the war, I don't know how true that is but the first few drone attacks were pretty stupid.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

CommieGIR posted:

There's a lot of hypothesis about them being false flags to encourage the Russian populace to fall in line with the war, I don't know how true that is but the first few drone attacks were pretty stupid.

If anyone would attack their own people as an attempt to drum up war rhetoric it would be Russia.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
those are not small drones, and I can't think they wouldn't be radar detected, so I'm, going with inside job.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Holy poo poo that's actually insane

No one injured, no one claims responsibility

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I don't know why you all think it's a false flag when recently when there's a horrific attack on Ukraine and Zelensky vows retaliation, there's a drone attack on Moscow. Also, what building did they hit?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Toxic Mental posted:

I didn't think it hit a building, that's nuts.
gently caress putin.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah the most logical thing is that it's Ukrainian. They're at war with them, obviously.

That said, Russia are definitely the masters of doing terror attacks on civilian infrastructure

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Willo567 posted:

I don't know why you all think it's a false flag when recently when there's a horrific attack on Ukraine and Zelensky vows retaliation, there's a drone attack on Moscow. Also, what building did they hit?

because the most likely target for retaliation isn't moscow, it's your balls

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think the question really becomes what would Russia actually do with the support. I mean is it going to be more people join the war? That's highly doubtful at this point especially Moscow citizens. They're not going anywhere near the loving War.

Russia literally cannot gain manpower from doing this. They would actually press gang people.

Like what's the expectation here 100,000 moskovitese
going to line up and enlist?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah the most logical thing is that it's Ukrainian. They're at war with them, obviously.

That said, Russia are definitely the masters of doing terror attacks on civilian infrastructure

i think it's just as likely if not more so that it's not a "false flag" so much as it is opposition inside russia that's gotten it into their heads that the best way to avoid becoming a mobik is to do terrible things internally and bring the war to an end before their numbers can be called up. after all, it is russia themselves that have it literally written into their playbook that you beat up civilian installations in order to make people not want to fight. or, if that sounds too outlandish, chechen dissidents deciding that now's a good time to get some payback because russia's so distracted.

moscow's about 1k km from kiev, which is enough to make range problematic, and there's a much easier and more valid military target that's much closer: the HQ of the southern military division that wagner rolled into recently. this war is dumb enough that i wouldn't rule anything out entirely, but russia's got plenty of enemies to make blowing poo poo up equally likely from any number of sources.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe I'm just predisposed to be suspicious but I'm wondering why there's always a handheld camera set up to catch these super close drone strikes in Russia. I can't help but feel there's a difference between these videos of a drone suddenly appearing and going boom and that horrifying video from last year where that ukrainian family filmed a sukhoi slamming a dud missile into their apartment building.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Coolguye posted:

because the most likely target for retaliation isn't moscow, it's your balls

Just as a heads up willos balls have been deemed safe for good and we don't bring them up anymore

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

fragments found in the wreckage had the letters "H" "R" and "C"....

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Coolguye posted:

i think it's just as likely if not more so that it's not a "false flag" so much as it is opposition inside russia that's gotten it into their heads that the best way to avoid becoming a mobik is to do terrible things internally and bring the war to an end before their numbers can be called up. after all, it is russia themselves that have it literally written into their playbook that you beat up civilian installations in order to make people not want to fight. or, if that sounds too outlandish, chechen dissidents deciding that now's a good time to get some payback because russia's so distracted.

moscow's about 1k km from kiev, which is enough to make range problematic, and there's a much easier and more valid military target that's much closer: the HQ of the southern military division that wagner rolled into recently. this war is dumb enough that i wouldn't rule anything out entirely, but russia's got plenty of enemies to make blowing poo poo up equally likely from any number of sources.

Yeah. If it was a strike on the Kremlin (at least, not that joke of a drone attack like was done earlier) or on properties of Putin, I could imagine it being Ukraine.

Randomly in Moscow is... Well, it does make me feel like there's more to it than that, at the risk of sounding conspiratorial.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

My money is on internal agitators. They probably did get armed by Ukraine though.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe I'm just predisposed to be suspicious but I'm wondering why there's always a handheld camera set up to catch these super close drone strikes in Russia. I can't help but feel there's a difference between these videos of a drone suddenly appearing and going boom and that horrifying video from last year where that ukrainian family filmed a sukhoi slamming a dud missile into their apartment building.

Seems like they hear it coming and they're looking around for it. Not to mention that people have their god drat phones out all the time these days anyways.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Toxic Mental posted:

Is it odd to anyone else that only a single floor of windows appears blown out? I would expect an external drone strike of the size shown in the video to affect multiple floors and be more centralized vs. strung out laterally.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Anyone know what that office floor used to do?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://www.salon.com/2023/07/29/how-russian-colonialism-took-the-western-anti-imperialist-left-for-a-ride/

Relevant article for a relevant thread topic!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

HonorableTB posted:

Just as a heads up willos balls have been deemed safe for good and we don't bring them up anymore

war truly is hell

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Jimlit posted:

My money is on internal agitators. They probably did get armed by Ukraine though.

No clue how legit this dude is, but he's saying there's been FSB-related drone activity in Moscow recently.

Building houses various government ministries.

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1685477178790809600?s=20

Images for non X'ers:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

No clue how legit this dude is, but he's saying there's been FSB-related drone activity in Moscow recently.

[Igor Sushko tweets]

Igor Sushko is the definition of [citation needed], even more than wherever Gigolo gets his stuff.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Willo567 posted:

lead nutsack shield on standby

e: trust zero of what sushko writes. man's basically a Russian WAR CRIME GIGOLO

ee: lol beaten

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd buy it being a false flag if it was an attack on civilians, but based on what I've read it was a legitimate target. All this being a false flag would only demonstrate that Moscow's defenses aren't effective, that Ukraine can inflict precision strikes in their capital city. It makes Russia look incompetent, it underlines that they're at war.

On the other hand, every other decision out of the Kremlin has been stupid as gently caress so why not this too.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
sushko writes very good clancy fanfiction

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Russia is like the geopolitical equivalent of the Hot Dog Car sketch from I Think You Should Leave.

US is the I Used To Be A Piece Of poo poo sketch.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The thread clearly shifted from discussing Hillary Clinton avatars to the fake news about the bridge because they're hiding the fact that they're mad about the Hillary Clinton avatars.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
fake news about the bridge??

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://clips.twitch.tv/EagerSincereDaikonKlappa-yh97c5tgK40mF-j8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Vaginaface posted:

Anyone know what that office floor used to do?

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1685495137781104640