Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hostile V posted:

Angelique is a rabbit who racefakes as a rat using pheromones and yes she's Kevin's ex-wife who refused to have kids with him so they adopted Lindesfarne and he kept the kid in the divorce.

Jesus Christ Holbrook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

"Then those warriors went to kill their girlfriends."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hippocrass posted:

Jesus Christ Holbrook.

Don’t worry, the other characters constantly racefake with pheromones also so it’s not a problem wait I am being handed a note.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Green Intern posted:

Don’t worry, the other characters constantly racefake with pheromones also so it’s not a problem wait I am being handed a note.

I regret to inform you that the duck(and all the other animals) is a racist.

Also: Does RL know this? Aren't they married now or something?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yes RL knows it he's into how horrible she is or something I forget

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I'm consistently amazed by your ability to make the puns work. Your English is surely better than mine.

I don't think this one does come off tho. A rarity.

I think the spirit of the joke's on "That's not what the enlarger is for!" but the art doesn't support it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Yes RL knows it he's into how horrible she is or something I forget

i mean this is the strip where a wolf becoming a sheep was used as a comparison to a transgender kid so probably. and then he got into a relationship with his sheepskin living diploma.

and every protag uses these pheromones sometimes to Teach Bad People a Lesson and that's okay but when she does it, it's because she's evil.

i just get Anthony/Elizabeth FOOB vibes from this rabbit-mouse because she, like Blanthony's ex, is supposed to be seen as pure evil, but she is not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
isn't she CEO of one of the Murder Incs

Holbrook Hellworlds have a lot of evil to go around is all. kind of a high baseline.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Doomykins posted:

isn't she CEO of one of the Murder Incs

Holbrook Hellworlds have a lot of evil to go around is all. kind of a high baseline.

She is one of the top executives at the evil Murder Inc. Not the good Murder Inc that Kell runs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/19-21/51

Archie 10/16-18/47

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

I was idly curious about what the "sandwiches and coffee" sign said originally, but wound up digging up a bit more.

1922 (December)
1922 (January)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Miss Swinnerton can get it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hwurmp posted:

Miss Swinnerton can get it

These Archie strips remind me a bit of John Allison's work...in that Bob Montana can't help himself from drawing pin-up girls in incidental roles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Never forget that all artists are extreme perverts because they have the power to draw anything they can imagine.

If patreon had existed ~75 years ago, I’m sure we could make some requests re: Miss Swinnerton cramming Latin.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Or maybe just leave the magic sentient ice cream truck alone?

Peanuts Through the Ages (Oct 9-14, 1961)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Oof!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 8-10, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (July 11-13, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Hospitality Crew (November 6, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 24-26, 1938)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Seems like a bad ice cream truck though if it never stops to actually distribute its product

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Seems like a bad ice cream truck though if it never stops to actually distribute its product

Really thinking of the Justice League episode Legends right now

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

So all this time the ice cream truck was actually that big ol' fish in the lake in your town?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Larryb posted:

That's what I've been thinking the entire drat time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Old Jingles is a drug front

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 02/27/1997–03/06/1997

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Good game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gg nexmap

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 26, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

A whole bunch of people's jobs got eliminated by AI and Holbrook thinks this is a happy outcome.

Okay.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

We didn't need a suspension anyways.
I dunno, I think you need one hell of a suspension to get that kind of airtime off a perfectly level piece of road.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Huh, a single lane bridge.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Why is Mutt & Jeff even in papers? Who’s it supposed to be for? Is there an unserved Yellow Kid fanbase out there?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Bimmi posted:

Why is Mutt & Jeff even in papers? Who’s it supposed to be for? Is there an unserved Yellow Kid fanbase out there?

It's the funny pages, it's full of strips that made it big in the 1950s and then never left. Put it down to extreme conservatism of newspaper's aging audience, and also the fact that there's not so much competition to break into syndication as the money's totally dried up.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's the funny pages, it's full of strips that made it big in the 1950s and then never left. Put it down to extreme conservatism of newspaper's aging audience, and also the fact that there's not so much competition to break into syndication as the money's totally dried up.

M&J made its debut in 1907 (!) and had already been a zombie strip for 20 years by the time the ‘50s rolled around. Who still wants to read it? Why choose THIS comic? I’ve seen some really low-rent strips in smaller papers, but this one has me completely baffled. Just… WHY?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bimmi posted:

M&J made its debut in 1907 (!) and had already been a zombie strip for 20 years by the time the ‘50s rolled around. Who still wants to read it? Why choose THIS comic? I’ve seen some really low-rent strips in smaller papers, but this one has me completely baffled. Just… WHY?

It costs nothing to make (reruns that the syndicate owns outright?), replacing it with something new would cost money, no one is writing in a complaint, and anyone who did would likely be outweighed by the people complaining that a classic was removed.

Julet Esqu posted:

A whole bunch of people's jobs got eliminated by AI and Holbrook thinks this is a happy outcome.

Okay.

In this scenario those people were mean, so they deserved it.

Though the story actually seems to be that a secretary improved herself, so she was promoted over people who looked down on her. But rather be smug and tell them off in person, she celebrates their unrelated downsizing with her likewise unfirable friend.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought she was talking about managers. The boss was still there tho so pobodys nerfect

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Also you know it's fake because no "higher up" is going to lose their job to AI. No they're the ones who are going to use it to put others out of work because they think it's cheaper than actual people or such.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "170 - Jucika On A Bus"

The Talented Jucika!

"171 - Jucika Causes An Accident"

Illegally hot rear end.

Bimmi posted:

First of all it's average at worst and often decent, so it beats half the thread regulars in quality. :haw:

New strips don't seem to actually come by that often and their spots are hard fought and hard won, especially if the newspaper syndicate or the IP holder or whatever is making free money squatting the space. I also assume the money isn't so good that you have a lot of super hard working talent beating down the door for fiercely competitive spots held by long timers who are used to robotically hitting deadline. I think the Breaking Cat News author had a lot to say about that a few months ago, those spots get locked down for decades. Looking at some of the new strips we've seen in the last 3 years. Note that half of these were grandfathered in and the artists would(or likely have been) rejected for original pitches:

Crabgrass: Good strip with some growing pains and feels like three reboots so far.

Heart of the City: Good, though caused a lot of reflexive dislike as people adjusted to the art style and that it was in fact written well for its target audience that wasn't them.

New Nancy: I'll be kind to everybody else in the thread and say it's mostly good, though even the defenders acknowledge that sometimes it'll run 10+ "DEPRESSING KIDS ARE DEPRESSED" or "I SAY X, BUT I THINK OPPOSITE OF X" strips in a row.

New Trail: Lazy, rushed garbage made by someone who tricked(or was tricked by) the IP holder into providing a "fresh, new take" on Mark Trail and submits rough draft sketches without an ounce of writing sense. I'm not sure who needs Mark Trail to waste paper and if the four digits in income is worth it but I wish they'd just retired it when Jams self destructed.

New Popeye: Heavily divided, mostly competent but often misses the mark in spirit. The IP holder was likely treading water for years by letting any artist interested toss up a Sunday strip until only Milholland was willing to actually submit on time weekly.

Time Travel Girl Strip: Incredible art, forgot to make a back log, dead in the water for half a year and never got to print.

I suppose we never see all the strips that are submitted and rejected before even getting a chance.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Crikey 7/29/03

Huh, that zookeeper looks oddly familiar.

Brenda Starr 5/28-30/51

"That doesn't actually answer my question, but okay."

Smokey Stover 12/11/55

Everyday Movies 8/18/36

"When the noise of the orchestra dies down, I'll tell you more about him."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/24-26/41