Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BisbyWorl posted:

Before you ask; no, there will not be some kind of clever twist where following the prophecy bites us in the rear end. All the poo poo Zeratul finds will always help us out.

Hooo boy, is that, in the grandest of Blizzard ways, not true and yet true at the same time. Infuriating.

Fun fact: Zeratul can kill an Ultralisk faster than the duration of Void Prison, and watching speedruns of this mission in particular is fascinating (there's a skip right at the start before you get blink because the map loops back on itself and you can see a small sliver of that area through a hole in the cliff face... which is enough to blink through).

But yes, this whole prophecy business is very much Blizzard really trying to work the angle of what exactly Zeratul has been doing in those intervening years exiled, while also setting him up as The Guy who Knows What's Going On. And as we'll see, all it really does is expose just how little Blizzard really planned out the whole trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Now that both LPs are going on at the same time, it really strikes me that Zeratul in SC2 plays pretty much the same role as Medivh did in WC3, the difference being that people actually listen to him.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Calax posted:

If Memory serves, the cutscene that plays at the start of this level featured in a LOT of the initial promo materials for the game.

Exactly.

When it appeared i wad redacting a list of "My Top 10 VideoGame Villains!" for another forum, and after the ending of Brood Wars, Kerrigan had a lot of possibilities of ending on the top of the list. But, when this come out, il was clear that the caustic, manipulative and ruthless "queen bitch of the galaxy" was gone and Kerrigan seemed to have fallen in a depression spell, waiting for destruction as some sort of deliverance.
So I put her out only ad an "honorable mention", waitnng for the game to come out, and we know what happened then...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Between the lovely prophecy and the loving anime battle, this was really where I started to desperately sour on Wings of Liberty.

Also just... all the loving retcons. I mean it gets worse in Heart of the Swarm, but I'll bring that up when we get there for the sake of leaving some stuff unspoiled, but the Xel'naga were loving eradicated by their own hubris in a one-two punch. First they hosed up the Protoss and thought they could just walk away, and the Protoss attacked them, causing massive casualties. Then they hosed around with the Zerg, and were real proud, until they realized the Zerg had slipped their leash and were smashing through the hulls of their ships to devour them and their knowledge, which was how the Zerg knew to home in on the Protoss in the first place.

The only hint we had that ANYTHING was going on, outside of lovely secondary media like books and whatever, was that Duran was doing some fuckery at the end of Brood War in the bonus mission, but even that might as well have been him being an entirely other species or just a huge psychopath or whatever.

This loving game. THESE loving games. They hurt me.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

no, it was pretty obviously xel'naga Duran was referencing. it was always gonna be the xel'naga returning

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That whole scene was Blizzard writing a check they simply couldn't cash. To me, at least, it's a similar effect to Sovereign's conversation on Virmire in Mass Effect 1: a scene late in the game that suddenly recontextualizes the entire scope of the game and setting, but the sequels just could not live up to the menace of that one big scene.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I actually like the last protoss mission in wings, its a cool set piece

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I liked how prophecies worked in VtM: Bloodlines. Rosa spoils the plot for you, but not necessarily in the way you'd thought.

But VtM has prophecy and magic baked into it with the Malks anyway, so it's not as jarring.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks Zeratul was completely butchered in SC2. Pretty much nothing that made the character interesting or cool remains except his design and even that just feels lacking compared to what we see of him in SC1.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I particularly hate how the prophecy turns Kerrigan into a completely worthless "villain". The idea of her going all "lol nothing matters" could work in a vacuum I guess, but like... why is she gloating about how the prophecy says the universe is doomed while simultaneously trying to keep anyone from reading it? If she's convinced she's gonna die anyway, what is her motivation for doing literally anything anymore beyond :moreevil:? And most importantly, why are we supposed to care about her being the big bad if she's not actually the big bad?

It could maybe work if Kerrigan was somehow in league with the Xel'Naga, or helping them return ala Saren in Mass Effect, but as it stands, Kerrigan is no longer a character with any believable goals--just a plot device that we're only fighting because The Prophecy Said But Thou Must. It's lazy as hell and completely dismantles one of the cooler characters Blizzard created.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Both the Protoss and the Zerg lost a lot of their character in the jump to SC2. This will obviously get more visible in HotS and LotV, but they just feel like Terrans - or rather humans - with different units and funny accents instead of being bizarre and alien.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 8

Well we got no money, no new unit, and we haven't hit any research milestones.

>Talk to Hanson.

So this will be quick.

Well, now you mention it I could use a drink or two. Maybe what I saw'd make more sense if I was drunk.

What was it, Jim?

An old friend of mine...looking for the end of the world.

>Talk to Horner.

I used the Ihan crystal Zeratul gave me. I'd swear it only lasted a few minutes... So vivid... Zeratul's been searching for a Xel'Naga prophecy about the end of the universe. There's more, I just haven't got to it yet.

>Watch news.

Valerian Mengsk is... well... Mengsk's son. He was introduced in the Dark Templar Saga series of novels, and is literally the only thing to really carry over into SC2 despite the Saga being written specifically to give story hooks for SC2. His entire thing is comprised of being a Not rear end in a top hat Mengsk and being an archeology fan, and the latter rarely comes up here.

Let me get right to the question on everyone's mind — is there anyone special in your life right now?

Truth be told, Kate, I have had a crush on you for many years.

Oh stop!

But in all seriousness, with the zerg invasion, there's little time for such things. I've been studying military tactics under General Warfield, and whatever spare time I have is devoted to statecraft.

>Talk to Tychus.

I helped 'em defend their homeworld from the zerg during the first war. When Kerrigan came back leading the Swarm, I helped 'em out again. They're real big on loyalty.

drat Jimmy, almost sounds like you respect 'em.

I wouldn't expect you to understand, Tychus.

>Talk to Tosh.

Have it your way. But you want to tread careful when you go lookin' into the beyond. If you need me, you know where I be.

Now, we might have just stared at a magic rock for a while-

But the Prophecy missions still count for mission timers.

So while we still have these two missions on the docket...

We let all them prisoners loose an' he'll never know what hit him. Just let me know when you're ready to pull the trigger.

Tosh's final mission is now open.

Or we could stare at Zeratul's Prophecy Rock for a few more hours.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 5, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Let's get the protoss stuff over with in one swoop imo, that way we can be done with the awful retcons and character butchery and won't have it hanging over our heads for the rest of the LP. Stare at the rock a few more hours.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Stare at the rock. Get all the Protoss stuff done at once IMO because holy crap is it a mess story wise. Fun to play though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fajita Queen posted:

Let's get the protoss stuff over with in one swoop imo, that way we can be done with the awful retcons and character butchery and won't have it hanging over our heads for the rest of the LP.

I have some bad news

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Nah, just do Tosh's thing and not anyone else's.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Meaty Ore posted:

Now that both LPs are going on at the same time, it really strikes me that Zeratul in SC2 plays pretty much the same role as Medivh did in WC3, the difference being that people actually listen to him.

There's a couple big differences:
1) Zeratul approaches people he actually knows and has good rapport with rather than running around after strangers.

2) Zeratul hands Raynor evidence that lays out everything he knows

3) Zeratul yells "doooooooom! But I refuse to explain. I must go now!" wait no, this part is exactly the same.

He is leaps and bounds more competent at actually attempting to convince people.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Time to ponder the triangle again.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

VostokProgram posted:

I actually like the last protoss mission in wings, its a cool set piece

It's a cool set piece once. After that, every time you try and play the campaign it's a slog of the same mission exactly like Zero Hour.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Octatonic posted:

Nah, just do Tosh's thing and not anyone else's.

I also want to do Tosh's mission. IIRC it changes the tone of future conversations with him

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

Valerian Mengsk is... well... Mengsk's son. He was introduced in the Dark Templar Saga series of novels, and is literally the only thing to really carry over into SC2 despite the Saga being written specifically to give story hooks for SC2. His entire thing is comprised of being a Not rear end in a top hat Mengsk and being an archeology fan, and the latter rarely comes up here.

One thing to note here is that his mother was a Umojan, they're a bit more technologically advanced than the rest of the Terrans and we'll see them later on.

Lt. Danger posted:

no, it was pretty obviously xel'naga Duran was referencing. it was always gonna be the xel'naga returning

That makes me wonder about a storyline about Duran and the return of all the rear end in a top hat Xel'nagas and them getting their asses kicked for the last time by an united front of all the races tired of their poo poo would have fared instead of what we got in this trilogy.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 30, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Koorisch posted:

That makes me wonder about a storyline about Duran and the return of all the rear end in a top hat Xel'nagas and them getting their asses kicked for the last time by an united front of all the races tired of their poo poo would have fared instead of what we got in this trilogy.

"They hosed with all of us and made us into the broken assholes we are. Instead of communist tribespeople and worms just doing worm things. We should team up and beat their asses for introducing us to politics and daytime television."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

CAN'T STOP THE ROCK

BisbyWorl posted:

Well, now you mention it I could use a drink or two. Maybe what I saw'd make more sense if I was drunk.

Alcoholism Narrative Reference Counter: 6

Previous Incidents Also Counted:
  • Shooing The TV In A Drunken Rage
  • Making Deals With Tychus
  • Sneaking A Drink In Zeratul's Hallway
  • Matt Horner's Concern After Chatting With Zeratul
  • Raynor Hero Unit Joke Lines

Not Counted Because The Counter Would Explode:
  • Literally Every Cantina Conversation With Tychus

Kith fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 30, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FoolyCharged posted:

3) Zeratul yells "doooooooom! But I refuse to explain. I must go now!" wait no, this part is exactly the same.

Well, no, as you pointed out he handed Jim a magic space dvd player between the doooom! and going back to his home planet.
Zeratul 3 - 0 Medivh

Man, the internissions after these mystic vision missions get another vibe when you know Jim is supposed to be an alcoholic.

Horner: yes sir the magic rock gave you a vision and that's why you stared into space unresponsive for hours
Tosh: I believe him
Jim: stay out of this Tosh

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Koorisch posted:

big ol' spoilers for all SC2 campaigns: that is what happens

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
One of the better comments I saw in (I think) the SC1 LP thread was that the SC1 Protoss were fantasy characters stuck in sci-fi story, while SC2 Terrans are sci-fi characters stuck in a fantasy story.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

You forgot the extremely important golden glowing buttocks!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Fajita Queen posted:

Let's get the protoss stuff over with in one swoop imo, that way we can be done with the awful retcons and character butchery and won't have it hanging over our heads for the rest of the LP. Stare at the rock a few more hours.

Agree.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The story of the Protoss mini-campaign is so bad that it’s a crime, too.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Yes, I think so. Just get 'em out of the way, get all of that research done, and be OP for the rest of the campaign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I concur. Get this nonsense out of the way now and chalk it up as a bad trip on space dust.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
which crime is worse? robbing a train or breaking prisoners out of a political prison?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, the “victim” in one is a dead empire that couldn’t possibly prosecute you any more… though on the other hand, you’re also potentially loving with the money of the current empire, so who can really say which is worse?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Well, the “victim” in one is a dead empire that couldn’t possibly prosecute you any more… though on the other hand, you’re also potentially loving with the money of the current empire, so who can really say which is worse?

The victim of our theft is the current empire since we're robbing their trains. Their victim is the old empire since they're doing grave robbery / archaeology

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also hurting trains is unforgivable! :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I still have no idea which is which so I voted for protoss

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Poil posted:

Also hurting trains is unforgivable! :(

i regret to inform you that not all trains are good

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

I meant in a way that doesn't *suck*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

disposablewords posted:

This was, indeed, one of the saddest things to me. The Xel'Naga were depicted as very powerful but with a bit of a hubristic streak that was their downfall, at least in the SC1 manual, and the hints the game dropped of some still being around who had gotten pissed and determined to see the idiot project through was real promising to me.

SC2, playing it dead straight: "Ah, a prophecy of the Xel'Naga!"

Yeah one thing I really enjoy about the Xel'Naga in the SC1 backstory is that they're kinda pushovers. They get chased off by the Protoss and eradicated by the Zerg, and both those races are significantly weaker at that time than they'd end up being by the time the game happens. Like the Zerg hadn't even left their homeworld yet. They hadn't assimilated any of the strains that would end up making them so deadly. It kinda gives this idea that the Xel'Naga were real big on science but weren't necessarily the most gifted when it came to military applications of that science. Like they're in the wrong genre and are actually Civilization players trying to rush the Science Victory at the expense of their military.

I guess this idea of "These great beings were advanced far beyond what anyone else is capable of but that didn't stop them from getting their asses beat by their creation" is, while okay maybe not the most inventive thing, still wildly more interesting and evocative than "What if the Titans from Warcraft, but... IN SPACE!"

Also my big beef with prophecies is that they ruin characters. "I'm doing this because it's what the prophecy said to do" is the most boring possible motivation a character can have unless you're playing with it somehow. The prophecy kind of feels like they shoehorned it in because they couldn't think of any other way to get Raynor and Zeratul to set aside their differences with Kerrigan and try to work with her instead and like, really? You couldn't think of anything better?