Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Does DaVinci do that audio ducking thing people were talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why I use my paid adobe premier over free divinci: It does not, at least didn't when I used it, have a simple one button solution to auto duck.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

SimonChris posted:

It can though the interface might be a bit much to look at at first blush. It's also not a 'one-button' solution but this tutorial seems easy enough to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqcJrA4AdU

DaVinci also has free learning material on their website which includes exercises to help you get familiarize with it's various workspaces. (There's also a ton of tutorials on youtube that can walk you through whatever it is you want to do.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 30, 2023

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

SimonChris posted:

Yes.

Leal posted:

Why I use my paid adobe premier over free divinci: It does not, at least didn't when I used it, have a simple one button solution to auto duck.

You're right, it doesn't.

You have to set up a compressor on your commentary audio channel and send the audio to the music channel. Then you have to add a compressor to your music channel and set it to listen. From here you can fiddle with the settings until you like what you hear. This sounds way more complicated than it is. But if you wanna just press one button and be done then, yeah no.

I don't even use ducking, I'm cool and prefer consistent levels.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What's the deal with webp anyway? I've seen a bit of it and it looks cool enough, but I'm not sure how well it works and how universal it is in various web browsers. I'd adopt it if it's worth using.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Mega64 posted:

What's the deal with webp anyway? I've seen a bit of it and it looks cool enough, but I'm not sure how well it works and how universal it is in various web browsers. I'd adopt it if it's worth using.

The advantage of webp over gif is the file size, basically. You can do significantly larger animations for the same amount of load. Granted, with internet speeds being the way they are, that's less of a problem nowadays.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

To give a point of reference, all my animated stuff I export as gif and convert to webp in GIMP.

This is the original gif, at 5.61 MB:

And here's the converted webp:

It's 1.79 MB, for not much loss in quality.

Blastinus posted:

Granted, with internet speeds being the way they are, that's less of a problem nowadays.

Yeah but when you're working with a 2 MB limit to keep things in lpix, you have to save space where you can.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
GIF is an utterly atrocious file format for modern times. It was developed 35 years ago and optimized for the needs of that era. These days, the limitations on framerate and color depth (256 colors for the entire thing!), and the heinous file size, make it poorly-suited for just about everything we'd want an animated image for.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Blastinus posted:

The advantage of webp over gif is the file size, basically. You can do significantly larger animations for the same amount of load. Granted, with internet speeds being the way they are, that's less of a problem nowadays.

There have been threads in LP where you get 3-4 updates on a page and the total size of the page is ~500 MB. Size definitely matters still.

Animated gifs weren't meant to do full frame video. Gif is a bad format in general nowadays, it was made for limited palette images in the 16-bit color era and animation was basically hacked on later by piggybacking on its support for storing multiple images in a single file. Gif can work reasonably well for content that palletizes well and if only a small part of the image is animated, if you optimize it, but that's a lot of work for something you get for free in apng or webp.

WebP has issues but it's a better format, with better compression controls, the ability to do lossy compression, etc. It's supported on every current browser, and has been for years.

That said: frankly, for the sort of full screen video clip shown in two posts above, you'd ideally just use a video format. I'm not really sure how the forums handle webm/mp4/etc embedding, I know there was talk of img tags making the loop soundlessly like it does with animated images but I have no idea if Jeffrey went with that or not.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Epicmissingno posted:

Same! But five years and Dragon Quest 9.

Maybe I will update again. Eventually.

'Tis I, the still alive ghost of the reader of your LP, here to harass yoouuuu! :ghost:

But seriously, I'm glad to hear the LP is at least still on your mind, and not dead. The only reason I haven't been poking it up lately is because I'm afraid of being branded a necromancer and getting banned in the process.

I hope to see an update soon-ish, or at least sometime this decade. :v:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

That said: frankly, for the sort of full screen video clip shown in two posts above, you'd ideally just use a video format. I'm not really sure how the forums handle webm/mp4/etc embedding, I know there was talk of img tags making the loop soundlessly like it does with animated images but I have no idea if Jeffrey went with that or not.

Any mp4, webm or gifv link in a post will automatically be converted to a <video> embed (by javascript after the page loads), but if you want it to loop you have to host it on imgur because there's a special exception to make that happen (and likewise, you can't make it not happen if you host on there)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The reason people are using .webp files is because lpix supports them, and it doesn't support video formats

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I made a batch that I keep on my desktop to webm whatever I drop onto it through ffmpeg, could probably adjust the quality for LP use but what I have is fine for sharing/shitposting type stuff

code:
C:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i "%~1" -c:v libvpx -crf 10 -b:v 10M -c:a libvorbis "%~1".webm

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I'm aware that I'm writing here, having not scrolled back even a little bit to find my answer, and for that I accept my due punishment for laziness...But for a general SSLP, what's a reasonable (non-animated) screenshot dimension? I'll worry about animations when I get there, but I'm looking for my first-ever LP, and for now I'm only worried about static screenshots.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mycelia posted:

I'm aware that I'm writing here, having not scrolled back even a little bit to find my answer, and for that I accept my due punishment for laziness...But for a general SSLP, what's a reasonable (non-animated) screenshot dimension? I'll worry about animations when I get there, but I'm looking for my first-ever LP, and for now I'm only worried about static screenshots.

900px wide if you intend to put it up on the LP Archive someday

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mycelia posted:

Hwurmp posted:

900px wide if you intend to put it up on the LP Archive someday

I use 1024px for mine, as I think 900px is too small to be legible for most PC games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

900 pixels wide isn't a guideline for the Archive, it's the literal maximum; anything wider than that will get resized down, iirc.

If it's at all possible you should consider cropping to relevant screen regions if the text is too small. When I did Disco Elysium I had a fairly involved setup to autocrop the part of the screen with the text box for anything I didn't need to show the whole screen for.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Thank you both!

...Now that I've said as much I fear I must ask some assistance. I would very much like to LP the visual novel "Raging Loop". I'm pretty sure the text dump of this game exists, somewhere (beyond my personal copy on the Nintendo Switch which is unfortunately very strongly defended). However, I fear I lack the wherewithal to actually obtain such a text dump. I can *probably* figure it out on my own eventually, but if someone smarter than me is capable of obtaining it, I would be within your debt; I'm happy to figure out all the portraits and whatnot, if the text itself can be captured by someone smarter than me,
In any case, thank you all for your insight. I really do want to contribute to the LP forum at some point! It's just finding the right opportunity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arist posted:

900 pixels wide isn't a guideline for the Archive, it's the literal maximum; anything wider than that will get resized down, iirc.

Yeah, I just gave up ever having my LPs in the Archive.

I think the Archive is set up to work very well for video LPs and LPs of games on handhelds and old consoles, but I don't think it suits modern PC games and how dense and information-filled the screens tend to be.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

mycelia posted:

Thank you both!

...Now that I've said as much I fear I must ask some assistance. I would very much like to LP the visual novel "Raging Loop". I'm pretty sure the text dump of this game exists, somewhere (beyond my personal copy on the Nintendo Switch which is unfortunately very strongly defended). However, I fear I lack the wherewithal to actually obtain such a text dump. I can *probably* figure it out on my own eventually, but if someone smarter than me is capable of obtaining it, I would be within your debt; I'm happy to figure out all the portraits and whatnot, if the text itself can be captured by someone smarter than me,
In any case, thank you all for your insight. I really do want to contribute to the LP forum at some point! It's just finding the right opportunity.

Depending on the formatting of the in-game text display, you could probably just have an Irfanview cropping setup that snips it out so you can post it as invididual pictures.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I just gave up ever having my LPs in the Archive.

I think the Archive is set up to work very well for video LPs and LPs of games on handhelds and old consoles, but I don't think it suits modern PC games and how dense and information-filled the screens tend to be.

You're probably right, but also when I try to read SSLPs with dense, information-filled screenshots, it's always very hard for me to tell what exactly the LPer wants me to pay attention to. It's not just a matter of supported resolution, in other words. A good LP is going to need cropping or other custom work to highlight the relevant part of the screenshot.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

mycelia posted:

Thank you both!

My text dumping skills are limited, but as I don't know what the file structure of the game is like, I can't say if I'd be able to rip the text or not. I don't know if I'll have to be diving through proprietary formats and compression or if it's a simple obfuscation.

There is another alternative here, which is to use gocr to automatically transcribe the text from the game. It's not the fastest in the world and nowhere near as convenient as just having the raw text, but it does save you the effort of transcribing yourself. I wrote a python script for a game I couldn't text dump to get the text and it did work. I just never did anything with that LP idea. You run it per dialogue line while going through the game/recorded video, it does all the screenshotting itself, and it appends the found text to a file.

If it's something that you'd want to try, I can pack it up and stick it on a google drive link. It's designed for Windows, but that can be changed with a bit of work.

Regardless, if you want to use gocr, I went ahead and looked up a screenshot of dialogue and figured out the right ImageMagick settings to produce a good file for gocr:

code:

convert -brightness-contrast -50 input.png bright1.png
convert -monochrome -brightness-contrast 0x100 bright1.png ocr_in.png

Those lines do need to be separate. It gets you a clean image of only 0 Black and 100 White, and thanks to the shading on the game's text box it doesn't seem to be disrupted by anything in the background.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 2, 2023

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Odd Wilson posted:

My text dumping skills are limited, but as I don't know what the file structure of the game is like, I can't say if I'd be able to rip the text or not. I don't know if I'll have to be diving through proprietary formats and compression or if it's a simple obfuscation.

There is another alternative here, which is to use gocr to automatically transcribe the text from the game. It's not the fastest in the world and nowhere near as convenient as just having the raw text, but it does save you the effort of transcribing yourself. I wrote a python script for a game I couldn't text dump to get the text and it did work. I just never did anything with that LP idea. You run it per dialogue line while going through the game/recorded video, it does all the screenshotting itself, and it appends the found text to a file.

If it's something that you'd want to try, I can pack it up and stick it on a google drive link. It's designed for Windows, but that can be changed with a bit of work.

Regardless, if you want to use gocr, I went ahead and looked up a screenshot of dialogue and figured out the right ImageMagick settings to produce a good file for gocr:

code:

convert -brightness-contrast -50 input.png bright1.png
convert -monochrome -brightness-contrast 0x100 bright1.png ocr_in.png

Those lines do need to be separate. It gets you a clean image of only 0 Black and 100 White, and thanks to the shading on the game's text box it doesn't seem to be disrupted by anything in the background.

Oh, thank you! I'll give that a shot. (I also very belatedly realised this should've been asked in the other thread probably, thank you for humouring me anyway :shobon:)

(eta: and I'd also be very grateful for the Python script! I can do a tiny bit of Python, ironically *also* for dealing with text, but that was a hassle and a half.)

mycelia fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 3, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

mycelia posted:

Oh, thank you! I'll give that a shot. (I also very belatedly realised this should've been asked in the other thread probably, thank you for humouring me anyway :shobon:)

(eta: and I'd also be very grateful for the Python script! I can do a tiny bit of Python, ironically *also* for dealing with text, but that was a hassle and a half.)

Here it is all cleaned up as best as I could. I tried to provide what explanation I could as to what does what, but it should at least be vaguely readable. You'll need to do a little fiddling yourself to make it work for you, but hopefully it's of some use. Otherwise this stuff was going to sit on my desktop and be basically forgotten.

Find it below. Check the readme for what requirements it has, if you want to try and use it as-is.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FjghRPmqYvTJSo9B7Q_EEuBPMr1uQb7d?usp=sharing

I dunno if anyone wants me to crosspost this to the Tech Support Fort or not. This is admittedly more of a thing for there, but here it is anyways.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm making my first post in forever 'cuz I'm driving myself batty trying to find this one video, that was part of an unrelated LP thread (don't remember the game) that was doing riff commentary on a poorly animated short film about Hercules. I do believe it's on the LParchive as well. One of the commentators was British. Wondering on off chance if that rings a bell for anyone since if I don't remember anything more specific I don't think I'll ever be able to find this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I'm making my first post in forever 'cuz I'm driving myself batty trying to find this one video, that was part of an unrelated LP thread (don't remember the game) that was doing riff commentary on a poorly animated short film about Hercules. I do believe it's on the LParchive as well. One of the commentators was British. Wondering on off chance if that rings a bell for anyone since if I don't remember anything more specific I don't think I'll ever be able to find this.

Would it happen to be MoominBiscuit and SuperGraffiti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH_FaNn6SK0

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal posted:

Would it happen to be MoominBiscuit and SuperGraffiti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH_FaNn6SK0

drat, that PS2 LP series is a blast from the past.

Weirdly not in the Master List either.

MoominBiscuit
May 8, 2009

WoOooOOOOOoo!

Genocyber posted:

One of the commentators was British.
Ok, now I have to know which one.

Also who made that YouTube account because it for sure wasn't me

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...
Sooooo... hi guys.

A while back, circa 2016, I started an Arc the Lad Collection LP. I just got my settings up so that I can start making content again, and it turns out my save game data won't work anymore. I got through AtL 1 and partway through AtL 2 before things happened.

But, it turns out my screenshots and scripts are still LPix/SA Forums compatible, and with the exception of a couple of edits for things like Tindeck, I can actually repost everything up to the last update I did before the original post was archived.

While I'm playing back through AtL 1 for new clear data, I wanted to know: Is it better for me to start a new thread, with the warning that I'll be posting some old LP updates back to back before resuming the LP proper, or is it better to seek out the original archived post? Unfortunately, I don't have the post link and I'm not familiar with the process, but if this is preferred I'm sure I can read up on it more.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I'm not rushing off to post this tonight or anything, I plan to have my game data all caught up before I follow either of the above pathways.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Naw just start a new thread with the explanation you mentioned, digging through the archives sounds like a huge pain plus it was a long time ago anyway

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The original thread is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717647 if you want to refer to it. It was on the LP Master List.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...
Thank you both for the help! I'll probably start a new thread, since I have some stuff that's likely broken in the original post anyway and it'll give me a chance to clean up little things along the way.

Now for the easy part of catching back up through to where I was in the games. Thanks again!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh god it's been 11 years since I did an LP and the itch is unbearable. Mostly want an additional pair of ears on the audio levels, I think they're ok in my headphones but always good to have a second opinion.

The Real Enemy Is Rebar: Let's Play Tomb Raider 2013!

10 years ago Crystal Dynamics rebooted the Tomb Raider franchise, I bought it day 1 and really liked it. I also really like the rest of the trilogy so I want to play it again. Let's enjoy Lara Croft's no good very bad sailing trip and her journey from innocent and naive rich girl to hilariously bloodthirsty murder god in pursuit of her girlfriend.

Also my LPing skills are a bit rusty, the last LP I actually did was the Klonoa series back in 2012. Bear with me while I get my video legs back. This probably isn't going to be a 100% completion run, but I am going to do all the major side stuff and challenge tombs. I'm playing the PC version maxed out with all the fancy hair physics I couldn't run at the time because I had the Xbox 360 version and which these days don't even make my PC fans turn on. I'm familiar enough with the game that I don't think there's going to be much dying, but if there's extended periods of frustration I will cut them out. Also don't expect montages of the various gruesome and offputting special death animations because as much as I like the game, I hate those and I do not want to subject you to all the various ways Lara can be impaled on rusty metal.

Onward to Yamatai!

Episode 1: Cave of Blunders

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
The sound levels are pretty good to me. Game's not too loud, dialogue's audible and you're neither silent or deafening.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah it's in the Would Not Complain About It zone imo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nice, I'm gonna threadpost then.

E: I forgot thread tags were a thing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So, for my primarily image LP's, I started out doing .gifs, then swapped to .webp because it took 1/10th of the space of a .gif.

Now I'm being told that .webp's are, in fact, a terrible format, both technically and morally bankrupt. Is this just internet nerd madness or is there something to it and I should be using, I don't know, animated .png's instead?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

So, for my primarily image LP's, I started out doing .gifs, then swapped to .webp because it took 1/10th of the space of a .gif.

Now I'm being told that .webp's are, in fact, a terrible format, both technically and morally bankrupt. Is this just internet nerd madness or is there something to it and I should be using, I don't know, animated .png's instead?

As far as I know (and that's not very much), the .MNG never really caught on, so I'm not sure how widely it's supported. I'd say that .webp is probably the way to go.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

PurpleXVI posted:

As far as I'm aware, people don't like it because Google made it and kinda just forced it onto the internet and a lot of programs still haven't implemented support for it. Neither of which really matter for an LP, unless the person in question is trying to read it with an old or incredibly niche browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

senrath posted:

As far as I'm aware, people don't like it because Google made it and kinda just forced it onto the internet and a lot of programs still haven't implemented support for it. Neither of which really matter for an LP, unless the person in question is trying to read it with an old or incredibly niche browser.

They tried to insist that any day now Google could make you pay money to use .webp's which was a very ?????????? statement.