Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Inner Light posted:

e: If it gets really bad, we can get forums user Motronic to whip you up something for your cart on DoMyOwn that will take care of a horse.

I mean, if you've got a horse infestation - just look at it funny and it'll probably keel over dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What is it with smaller furniture stores having "no photography" rules? I've been to three recently, plus one like a decade ago on the other side of the county, and they had rules against photographing the furniture on display or taking pictures of price tags. I asked the salesguy at one, and the answer was such bullshit ("so competitors don't know what we're selling and steal our furniture ideas") that I assume he either made it up on the spot, or the real answer is something hilarious like "because we're all selling AliExpress and a photo would tell you that."

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

While I'm in a large metropolis, precovid I found a furniture store that was literally just a front for a Chinese manufacturer. All you needed was the dimensions and a picture of what you wanted material/looks and they'd make it from scratch and have it delivered in 2 months (ie: normal delivery times) for like half the price of anyone else.

It showed me that the markup on furniture was bonkers. Also interior designers also can get big discounts/kickbacks too from places.

Granted that place is gone now, but it was very tempting to get everything customized for my place at the time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The photo ban is so you can't comparison shop. Since all those stores are just resellers you can almost always find the product online for a fraction of the price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Homeownership: I figured out why the bird feeders are empty and broken.

(This one picked up an extra fawn almost immediately in the spring and is now up to THREE, she's starving to death nursing them. Yes, I went to tractor supply and picked up protein pellets and corn and I'll be feeding her and the fawns for the next 5-6 weeks and then tapering them off before winter.)

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Sundae posted:

What is it with smaller furniture stores having "no photography" rules? I've been to three recently, plus one like a decade ago on the other side of the county, and they had rules against photographing the furniture on display or taking pictures of price tags. I asked the salesguy at one, and the answer was such bullshit ("so competitors don't know what we're selling and steal our furniture ideas") that I assume he either made it up on the spot, or the real answer is something hilarious like "because we're all selling AliExpress and a photo would tell you that."

The "consignment" furniture stores here, which do occasionally have cool stuff, also bulk out their inventory with factory seconds from Article. They don't advertise that (or even really mention it unless you ask directly). To be fair to them the retail is usually around what they'd be online and they're already assembled.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
hi friends, I put a pride flag up on my house yesterday and someone fuckin stole the entire flagpole it was connected to last night so now I'm on the warpath, can anyone recommend some affordable ip cameras I can put up before I buy another one so I can catch the next rear end in a top hat who comes on my property?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 30, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

hi friends, I put a pride flag up on my house yesterday and someone fuckin stole the entire flagpole it was connected to last night so now I'm on the warpath, can anyone recommend some affordable ip cameras I can put up before I buy another one so I can catch the next rear end in a top hat who comes on my property?

Ring. Something made by a huge American manufacturer that includes automatic firmware updates is the only way to not be easily spied one/part of a botnet one day IMO.

Whatever you do don't get the Chinese Dahua/Hikvision/Foscam ones or their many clones (Amcrest, Lorex, etc.)

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 30, 2023

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Ring is the product that gave police warrantless access to footage without the owner's knowledge or consent. Personally I'd rather risk China looking at my yard.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arlo and Netgear both are American, have automatic updates, and aren't part of Amazon's police surveillance botnet.

Logitech is Swiss-American and has automatic updates, but is iOS/HomeKit only. That gives much much higher privacy since Apple is significantly more through about privacy, but can be a bit of a pain to set up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Ring. Something made by a huge American manufacturer that includes automatic firmware updates is the only way to not be easily spied one/part of a botnet one day IMO.

You're loving joking right

Fake edit after the coffee has kicked in:
My pops uses Wyze for "set up pointing at doors when we're gone, watching our dumb cats otherwise" and seems to like it, 100 HOGS? I know nothing about it, my pops was a computer toucher for a long time so hopefully he's picked a good company/product?

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 30, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tremors posted:

Ring is the product that gave police warrantless access to footage without the owner's knowledge or consent. Personally I'd rather risk China looking at my yard.

This is a staggeringly ignorant take for how plainly you make it.

A camera that has admin access back doors, which Dahua cameras (and their rebrands) sold today still do, lets the police access it trivially. Further, it could let it spy on your network traffic or be used as part of a bot net, not just access the video feeds. There's 2 acts of congress (2019 and 2021) restricting these devices on national security grounds. Further, just because the intercept hasn't run an expose on how often they allowed police warrantless access doesnt mean they don't allow police warrantless access.

Ring should not give warrantless access. However, Ring giving warrantless access 11 times in a year, out of millions of cameras, is absolutely NOTHING compared to the risks of allowing a spy device on your home network.

Any other huge American manufacturer with a solid cyber security reputation is good too. Doesn't need to be Ring, just not devices that are being restricted by congress for the exact sort of thing theyre purporting to be useful for.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 30, 2023

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

My pops uses Wyze for "set up pointing at doors when we're gone, watching our dumb cats otherwise" and seems to like it, 100 HOGS? I know nothing about it, my pops was a computer toucher for a long time so hopefully he's picked a good company/product?

Wyze appears to be entirely designed around upselling you to their cloud product... ffs you can't even have recordings longer then 15s unless you pay monthly to them

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

devicenull posted:

Wyze appears to be entirely designed around upselling you to their cloud product... ffs you can't even have recordings longer then 15s unless you pay monthly to them

Disregard my recommendation then, that sucks!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Johnny Truant posted:

See above, no I'm not. Wyze is also a Chinese company, though not one of the ones targeted by act of congress. I don't know much about their vulnerability history, but searching for CVEs related to them still turns up authentication bypass vulnerabilities. That said, they're hardly as egregious as Foscam/Dahua/Hikvision's built-in, hardcoded back door admin access. So long as they automatically update firmware to patch things like this, they could be fine.

Here's a link for those interested in the Wyze vuln I mentioned:
https://www.bitdefender.com/files/News/CaseStudies/study/413/Bitdefender-PR-Whitepaper-WCam-creat5991-en-EN.pdf

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

This is a staggeringly ignorant take for how plainly you make it.

A camera that has admin access back doors, which Dahua cameras (and their rebrands) sold today still do, lets the police access it trivially. Further, it could let it spy on your network traffic or be used as part of a bot net, not just access the video feeds. There's 2 acts of congress (2019 and 2021) restricting these devices on national security grounds. Further, just because the intercept hasn't run an expose on how often they allowed police warrantless access doesnt mean they don't allow police warrantless access.

Ring should not give warrantless access. However, Ring giving warrantless access 11 times in a year, out of millions of cameras, is absolutely NOTHING compared to the risks of allowing a spy device on your home network.

Any other huge American manufacturer with a solid cyber security reputation is good too. Doesn't need to be Ring, just not devices that are being restricted by congress for the exact sort of thing theyre purporting to be useful for.

I run Dahua cameras, they are unbeatable for the price. I do have them segregated on a VLAN with only NTP outbound access to WAN open for accurate timestamps. I certainly would not recommend using them in a publicly accessible way unless they are again totally isolated from other networks, but that goes for any kind of IoT style device.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

skybolt_1 posted:

I run Dahua cameras, they are unbeatable for the price. I do have them segregated on a VLAN with only NTP outbound access to WAN open for accurate timestamps. I certainly would not recommend using them in a publicly accessible way unless they are again totally isolated from other networks, but that goes for any kind of IoT style device.

If you know the risks and mitigations, youre in a different situation than someone asking for camera reqs inside the homeowners thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The rings are piss easy to set up and have like 100 options for power as well (solar).

You also don’t have to worry about having your own IP camera server.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If china or russia wants to keep tally of all the times deer walk across my property they can absolutely do so if it means I'm not janitoring the hell out of my setup, which I have done in the past and was a huge waste of my time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok have fun when the Chinese paratroopers know precisely what approach to use to avoid your suburban kill funnel

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Dave posted:

If china or russia wants to keep tally of all the times deer walk across my property they can absolutely do so if it means I'm not janitoring the hell out of my setup, which I have done in the past and was a huge waste of my time.

BRB DDoSing Rutgers using The Dave's cameras since he didnt wanna spend $20 more for a decent brand.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My arlos have sprouted legs and have me trapped in the basement please send help.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

If you know the risks and mitigations, youre in a different situation than someone asking for camera reqs inside the homeowners thread.

Not wrong, but also not something that is a crazy hurdle for the average SA user to clear. This isn't reddit or wikihow!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

skybolt_1 posted:

Not wrong, but also not something that is a crazy hurdle for the average SA user to clear. This isn't reddit or wikihow!

This sounds reasonable but is belied by the fact that most of the others in disagreement think the risk is about their individual video feeds versus the fact it’s a computer running linux that anyone can do whatever from.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw that emergency exemption applies to pretty much everything else you have as well so :shrug:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Other option, just camouflage a motion activated wildlife camera that records to an SD card and don't worry about privacy.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

killing weeds in places where I don't care if anything grows ever again: salt solution, vinegar solution, or soap solution... what's the best? yes I know, "mix", but, which component has the largest effect?

let's assume I don't want to use actual commercial weed killer for the purposes of this post, I know that works too

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

pmchem posted:

killing weeds in places where I don't care if anything grows ever again: salt solution, vinegar solution, or soap solution... what's the best? yes I know, "mix", but, which component has the largest effect?

let's assume I don't want to use actual commercial weed killer for the purposes of this post, I know that works too

Of those - the salt. I use a mix for a patio of pavers and it works well enough for a few months.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Helping clear out an old persons home and we just tore up some carpet that was all over the first floor. Awful ugly blue carpet that’s probably older than me. Just awful poo poo. Relatives think it was laid down in the late 70s

Of course it’s nice hardwood under. Probably original to the house, 1920s construction.

Realtor who’s helping move it sure did like it. (They’re selling to pay for her end of life stuff)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cyrano4747 posted:

Helping clear out an old persons home and we just tore up some carpet that was all over the first floor. Awful ugly blue carpet that’s probably older than me. Just awful poo poo. Relatives think it was laid down in the late 70s

Of course it’s nice hardwood under. Probably original to the house, 1920s construction.

Realtor who’s helping move it sure did like it. (They’re selling to pay for her end of life stuff)

Very nice! I can almost smell the carpet from here. When we removed 1100 sq ft of late 80s vintage carpet from an old lady house, the house immediately stopped smelling like old lady. It was a 2 for 1!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I love hardwood but how much would it actually cost to rehab a whole house like that?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pmchem posted:

Salt will work the best, but it has potential to work too well. Salt doesn't break down and can be carried by water, so the next big rainstorm (or your irrigation if you're careless) will dilute your application and can carry that salt toward other plants. If that's ok for your situation then it's great

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Cyranos post reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBHLB7fwBvo

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

I love hardwood but how much would it actually cost to rehab a whole house like that?

Floor refinishing isn’t too expensive if you don’t want to it yourself - we had 1500 sqft done for like $3500

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Floor refinishing isn’t too expensive if you don’t want to it yourself - we had 1500 sqft done for like $3500

Oh wow that’s not bad at all.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pmchem posted:

I was in a similar situation and was considering salt, but learned that it's actually worse than commercial weed killer because it will literally kill everything in the ground, and cause it to be infertile for years to come. I ended up going with this product called Eraser Max and it works great. Highly recommended.

https://www.domyown.com/eraser-max-super-concentrate-herbicide-p-17313.html

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Oh wow that’s not bad at all.

Yeah it’s basically just sand it and then stain/seal/etc. The only real risk is loving up with the sander and leaving a divot if you’re DIY’ing and don’t know what you’re doing.

We’re not doing gently caress all, just exposing it so prospective buyers can see nice (if in need of refinishing) hardwood instead of hell carpet.

It’s amazing how much if lightened up the house too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm sure it's useful in northern climates, but I just can't imagine ever carpeting over hardwood floors

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It was the 70s. The whole decade is just bad decisions layered on top of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think at the time it was marketed as being quieter than hardwood floors. Not just in the sense that footsteps are quieter, but that the wood floors that were getting pretty old at that point were popping and creaking and laying carpet on top was a cheaper alternative than actually fixing them.