Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I bet Devastation would be easier to find. Platinum probably have their own copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Xerophyte posted:

It's common in the industry -- or was common at the time in any case -- to have the source and all the other assets on perforce, which is a version control system that's generally run on some local server set up by your local IT department. At some point your local IT department will go "hey, we're migrating to [New P4 Version/Github/Something Else], teams please upload your work to the new server", current work gets uploaded to the new server, everyone moves on, and all the not-so-current work that was on the old server gets left to gather dust.

The only way that doesn't happen is if you take care to always migrate everything to the new system, which is a boring task that takes time and effort, adds a bunch of useless junk to your shiny new system, and does not necessarily pay off. If anything it's surprising that we haven't lost more stuff over the years.

That said: I guarantee there's an ex-Activision engineer who has some version of at least the source code (other assets less likely) and is debating whether or not it's worth the potential hassle to get in touch. I have yet to meet a programmer who did not surreptitiously keep most of their old work projects around at home to tinker with and reference ... except me, of course, since that would be a contract violation, please do not sue me.

need more video game archivisits/librarians

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't believe Baldurs Gate 3 finally comes out in less than a week.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
When can I watch all the 1600 endings on youtube

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm sure nothing bad will come of their decision to drastically inflate the expectations of the gamers.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

stev posted:

I'm sure nothing bad will come of their decision to drastically inflate the expectations of the gamers.
Don't worry, gamers will find reasons to be disappointed with the scope of even this (the laziness of devs is the only true constant in the gamer's universe)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dunno, Larian Studios is building on the foundation of Divinity Original Sin 2, and that RPG was really good and well designed. The Early Access has also been very good. At least the first 20 hours don't poo poo the bed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I've seen enough to know it's good. There could get rid of the unplayed Acts and I'd still think it was a good game, just surprisingly pleasantly short.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How big is the city of Baldur's Gate suppose to be in BG3? I loved how huge the city was in the other two games, it felt very immersive, and the atmosphere was really good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We believe in Larian in this house.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
who is baldur and what's the big deal with his gate anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Read the wiki

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s actually Baldur’s Gait and he’s the head of the ministry of silly walks

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

If people talked about my gate for 20 years and 3 games I would be mortified. My thoughts lie with Baldur during this no-doubt trying time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wanna bang on that gate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
activision continues to be the absolute worst

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The source is supposedly still available, it's just in their archives somewhere. Losing the source code / files for a video game is nothing new, we just never hear about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

We believe in Larian in this house.

:hai: they've been on a hell of a hot streak and I believe in their ability to continue that streak.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sailor Dave posted:

he runs the let's play archive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When Chris Pine said "Baldur's Gate" in the movie I leopointed

Sailor Dave posted:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Krizz is a real dumbass

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How many gates does this Baldur fellow need anyway

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
If I got bored reasonably early in D:OS, is D:OS2 enough of an improvement that I should be excited for BG3?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinitum posted:

How many gates does this Baldur fellow need anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok so here are the facts: there is no Baldur. Baldur's Gate is named after Balduran, legendary sea explorer, who set up fortifications in his home harbour (Gray Harbor) to protect his accrued wealth. When he disappeared during a subsequent voyage, the locals finished the construction of the walls, which in turn attracted more settlers, and thus paved the way to the modern metropolis of today

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neverwinter Nights? No thanks, I hate sweating in my sleep.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Waterdeep? Yeah, it better be

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

Ok so here are the facts: there is no Baldur. Baldur's Gate is named after Balduran, legendary sea explorer, who set up fortifications in his home harbour (Gray Harbor) to protect his accrued wealth. When he disappeared during a subsequent voyage, the locals finished the construction of the walls, which in turn attracted more settlers, and thus paved the way to the modern metropolis of today

:thanks:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I hope Boo finally gets to feast on eyeballs this time around

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Baldur? drat near killed 'er

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The forgotten realms wiki does the Star Wars wiki thing of writing everything in the past tense. Silly

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Forgotten Realmed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The realms dont seem very forgotten.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wizards of the Coast? More like Scum of the Coast That Deprives Creators of their Value

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Developers just losing source code/assets because nobody cares/is paid to maintain them seems like something that should be even more common

Reminds me of the (apocryphal?) story about the BBC just like taping over copies of old Dr. Who eps with no backup because hey those tapes are expensive who cares about this stupid cheap sci-fi show

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

The forgotten realms wiki does the Star Wars wiki thing of writing everything in the past tense. Silly
for fr at least its because theres always, a present day fr which is wherever the d&d books currently are, so it is all in the past from the perspective of whatever the most recent adventure or sourcebook theyve published is

this only matters if youre a psycho that 1. cares that much about d&d setting lore, and 2. are such a slave to it that you always make sure youre up to date on the chronology

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The realms dont seem very forgotten.

they should be

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

most of the 5e fr books have been building up to some kind of, obelisk related metastory, and the next fr adventure they're going to release is like "the secret of the obelisks" where theyre finally going to reveal what its all about. except no one knows or cares what the gently caress theyre talking about because if an adventure is like "wow this room contains a mysterious obelisk, no we're not gonna tell you what it does. pretty cool huh?" every DM is either going to omit it or replace it with something more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

never underestimate the ability of a bunch of grognards to stick strictly to the exact script bits.