Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I’m struggling to think of another instance of a currently running strip that is both 100% reruns and so clearly the product of a bygone century. There must be any number of long-running but defunct strips that are less dated and better remembered. Why go with something that was old hat before the boomers started reading comics? It’s not even fun to look at — the art is rote at best and the image quality sucks. It just seems like such a weird outlier even in the context of whatever benighted low-circulation funny pages I imagine it runs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

"Just Let The Snake Audit Remotely" She Thought To Herself Before Posting The Latest Batch, Quietly Resigned To How loving Asinine A Sentence That Is

There's not a big :ironicat: enough for Holbrook painting Angelique as evil for cheating when Kell's ex-husband also did the exact same thing.

This is just meanspirited. The reason Ralph can't hunt is not because of incompetence, it was because he was the first person in Hellworld who had developed a sense of empathy by talking to a prey species and seeing all of them as people, not meals to murder.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i mean this is the strip where a wolf becoming a sheep was used as a comparison to a transgender kid so probably. and then he got into a relationship with his sheepskin living diploma.

and every protag uses these pheromones sometimes to Teach Bad People a Lesson and that's okay but when she does it, it's because she's evil.

i just get Anthony/Elizabeth FOOB vibes from this rabbit-mouse because she, like Blanthony's ex, is supposed to be seen as pure evil, but she is not.

The FOOB vibes is right. When she and Kevin were looking for a kid to adopt, she thought Lindesfarne was a porcupine and a plant eater. But once Kevin told her Lindesfarne was a hedgehog, Angelique had her misgivings about going through with the adoption. And she was right. There's a strip where Angelique was stressed out because she doesn't have the hunting instincts or skills needed to find Lindesfarne something to eat, implying that Kevin doesn't help her at all. Then both of them decided to raise Lindesfarne as a plant eater, because Holbrook thinks telling a hedgehog that they're a porcupine would magically alter your dietary requirements. Yeah, the last part's lovely but Kevin went along with it willingly, and kept up the ruse even when Angelique left the picture.

Holbrook likes to come up with new ways to paint her as evil incarnate, but the good guys pull off some terrible things on the reg anyway. Like that time they kidnapped Angelique and made her think they dumped her in the free-for-all murderwoods so that the entire rabbit population can scare her back into being a rabbit.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

There's not a big :ironicat: enough for Holbrook painting Angelique as evil for cheating when Kell's ex-husband also did the exact same thing.

This is just meanspirited. The reason Ralph can't hunt is not because of incompetence, it was because he was the first person in Hellworld who had developed a sense of empathy by talking to a prey species and seeing all of them as people, not meals to murder.

Kell's husband was absolved of his sins when he died and became a kindly ghost watching over his former family.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Doomykins posted:

New Popeye: Heavily divided, mostly competent but often misses the mark in spirit. The IP holder was likely treading water for years by letting any artist interested toss up a Sunday strip until only Milholland was willing to actually submit on time weekly.

Treading water's a pretty spot-on assessment. Before Randy passed the audition, The main Popeye Sundays were drawn by Hy Eisman, a syndicate longtimer who just turned 96 years old this spring. He was also tapped for the Katzenjammer Kids until it went into reruns in 2006. They were okay strips, but they didn't exactly pop. It still beats what happened to the dailies, which have been been Bud Sagendorf reruns since they fired Bobby London 30 years ago.

Bimmi posted:

I’m struggling to think of another instance of a currently running strip that is both 100% reruns and so clearly the product of a bygone century. There must be any number of long-running but defunct strips that are less dated and better remembered. Why go with something that was old hat before the boomers started reading comics? It’s not even fun to look at — the art is rote at best and the image quality sucks. It just seems like such a weird outlier even in the context of whatever benighted low-circulation funny pages I imagine it runs in.

That's not the only reason Mutt and Jeff is the ultimate zombie IP. The copyright that appears on every single M&J reprint is in the name of Brookstone founder Pierre de Beaumont, and as far as I can tell he never touched pen to paper in the fine art sense. His only claim to the strip is his mother was married to Bud Fisher for four weeks in 1925, but because they never got legally divorced she inherited the strip when Fisher died twenty-seven years later, and then she passed the rights on to her son.

Mutts

The Curse of Sally Forth

Peanuts (August 1, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

Skippy's Own Book of Comics

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943 catch-up

Spoiler for domestic violence I guess

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Wow, Daria's certainly pissed off at Olive Oyl.

And drawn in a different style.

And has her hair both up and down. It's a free country I guess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

good job

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Junji Ito is reading Sally Forth and taking notes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Jeffy has already begun to internalize the need to mask his neurodiversity at all times. :smith:

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'd kind of like to see Piraro take a stab at drawing a serious Prince Valiant comic

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have to admit, I quite like Mutt and Jeff because somehow it manages to deliver its old jokes well, and the fact that they're not only rerunning strips older than my grandparents but trying to update the jokes (to 1990s level) when they are obviously taken from somewhat grainy old newspapers that, again, are older than my grandparents, gives them a somewhat surreal appeal.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/22-24/51

"Ze competition" is probably the Howdy Doody TV show, immensely popular with the anklebiting set in 1951.

Archie 10/19/47

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never noticed the two guys with arrows in them before.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I hope they come around the corner and Savarna is standing there with that grenade launcher looking right at them. FOOOMP
i hope they round the corner and bubudan gets gunned down, transitioning us back another 12 months in the storyline because guess what, we were in another moss prophecy the whole time!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Seriously? One of those raindrops was a difference? Weber, you son of a bitch. :argh:

Poil posted:

I've never noticed the two guys with arrows in them before.
The arrow is one of the rarer ones. My impressionis it's probably between that and the shoe which one is most rarely used. I would probably say eyeball seems to be the most common.

Edit: I think most rare is the use of an actual Olive Oyl instead of 'O2', if you want to count that.

F Minus

Oh, we've got plenty of prisons don't worry.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Hey! It's Mud!

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey! It's Mud!

I hope he plays Muddy Boots.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yes, Good, The Gods Suffer This Day

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 11-12, 1962)

Welcome to 1962. I feel like we've officially reached the visual style everybody thinks of when they picture of the strip.

Big Nate

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

This is so Fingerpori.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Elon's going to take a look at that last panel and sue for copyright infringement.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Summer of 1941, the Sailorpedia says. But that's not the half of it, because by the end of the 1950s he was actually walking and wearing pants.

Sagendorf rolled that back somehow.

And no, I'm not bailing out on Olive & Popeye just yet, but yeah, I get where all the criticism is coming from.

I think what's unnerving about Swee' Pea talking is less that he's talking and more that he's talking in the same overly verbose way that all the other characters are talking. It's just another reminder of how the dozen characters we have in nu Popeye are all speaking in largely the same voice with their characters only distinguished by their exact placement on a mostly arbitrary morality scale. In Thimble Theater right now, we have both Popeye and Olive Oyl moping about not being together, but in completely different and distinct ways. Compare that to the nu Popeye strip of their having a couple's spat and being largely indistinguishable from each other.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Weembles posted:

I hope he plays Muddy Boots.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Well, that neatly tidies up a number of plot points so you’ll never have to think about them again. Now we can concentrate on more important matters eg what a “croust” is.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

I am barely able to stay conscious long enough to follow what's happening in this comic. I just know I hope this lady gets divorced and that this guy gets married so his wife can divorce him and that the company goes under and none of these dickweeds ever again experience joy.

So typical old Mary Worth plot I guess

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for July 28, 1927! And in honor of the ongoing Popeye discussion, we lead with Bruce Bairnsfather.

And in honor of melting tarmac in Arizona, Ellison Hoover.

And in honor of that slot in the back of my medicine cabinet for double-edged razor blades that probably hasn't been used since the 1970s, here's Don Herold:

John Held Jr.:

LJ Holton:

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 3/13–20/1997

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons changed format again...

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like you get to either write or make fun of that kind of story

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 27, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This story went on way too long and this ending (dear god I hope this is the end) is dumb and I hate it.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 26, 2001)
Henry's Cat, Simon's Cat, Top Cat, Garfield, Heathcliff...

Doomykins posted:

Heart of the City: Good, though caused a lot of reflexive dislike as people adjusted to the art style and that it was in fact written well for its target audience that wasn't them.
I remain unconvinced.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

I feel seen... plus or minus about five or six more cycles of this process.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Oof!

At first I thought ten was being an rear end in a top hat, but it was kinda over quick and he got better. I feel she has been a lot more consistently mean and an rear end in a top hat towards ten as the series progresses.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

"171 - Jucika Causes An Accident"

Illegally hot rear end.

A few years ago at a mall I saw this happen. A huge fat guy on a rascal scooter was so intent on staring at a passing girl in yoga pants that he kept leaning over further and further to stare over his shoulder, while also steering his scooter more and more to one side until he ran into a stand where some young people were trying to sell newspaper subscriptions and knocked the whole thing over.

Anyway here's Fingerpori

This is sadly topical. We had our parliamentary elections earlier this year, and due to the difficult times the great Finnish populace elected a right wing government. They've only been in power for a month, and already like five or six ministers and party leaders from one of the government parties have been caught either saying horribly racist poo poo, or having posted small books' worth of racist poo poo on far right message boards. Our prime minister keeps insisting that his government has a zero tolerance policy on racism, yet actually does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(July 15, 1917)

Little Nemo(December 9, 1906)

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is sadly topical. We had our parliamentary elections earlier this year, and due to the difficult times the great Finnish populace elected a right wing government. They've only been in power for a month, and already like five or six ministers and party leaders from one of the government parties have been caught either saying horribly racist poo poo, or having posted small books' worth of racist poo poo on far right message boards. Our prime minister keeps insisting that his government has a zero tolerance policy on racism, yet actually does nothing.

Maybe by 'zero tolerance policy', he meant they have no policy whatsoever.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 31, 2023