Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
very happy for all the Cubs posters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Twins bloggers have latched on to the Fangraph's theorized Hader trade, sending the Padres Marco Raya (a 6'0", 165 lbs SP prospect shelled in his first few AA starts who has never sniffed 70 IP since being drafted in 2020) and Brent Headrick, a 25yo swingman SP with mediocre AAA numbers.

So I guess it's time for the annual reminder that if you think a trade is a nobrainer for your team and it's for one of the best players available at any position and it doesn't fit some unique need of the trading partner, your idea is probably dumb as poo poo.

Analytical baseball writers are so terrible at trade proposals. Always have been.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
cubs being buyers will make their tripping over their dricks collapse be all the more hilarious

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Too many buyers, not enough sellers!

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

MrMidnight posted:

Too many buyers, not enough sellers!

nice tinder profile

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Rangers clearly tanked this series against the Padres to make sure Snell didn't get traded to the Rays or O's.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

live with fruit posted:

Analytical baseball writers are so terrible at trade proposals. Always have been.

I made the mistake of reading an article about the resurgent Bellinger that was just the author stating actually he's not that good, his exit velo and launch angle aren't as good as 2019. It was a nice palate cleanser to the article that stated Aaron Judge is the best player in baseball, I will give it that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Cool, glad for the Cubs and their fandom. gently caress it the team is hot why not give it a shot?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Would the Padres really trade Snell? I love that they’ve been going for it these past few years and would hate to see them start blowing up the team.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Cool, glad for the Cubs and their fandom. gently caress it the team is hot why not give it a shot?

Exactly. This is why the trade Ohtani talk was straight lol. Take a gamble and go for it!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Yeah even now this team actually making the postseason would be a minor miracle, they've rattled off a bunch of wins and are only 3 back of the wild card but they're not going to get to play the miserable Sox and Cardinals forever. That said it is nice after a couple years of ripping it down to the studs at the deadline to think that I might actually get to see my team play some meaningful baseball in August/September.

They really, really need to do something about the pen though, Kay is their one lefty and if he sees a meaningful inning that's trouble.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

Would the Padres really trade Snell? I love that they’ve been going for it these past few years and would hate to see them start blowing up the team.

He's a free agent and Boras client. He's going to be on a different team next year either way.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This is hilarious, the first time in a while the Orioles have been a buyer and almost nobody is selling

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

live with fruit posted:

He's a free agent and Boras client. He's going to be on a different team next year either way.

Ah I didn’t realize he was heading into free agency. Thought the Padres extended him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

Ah I didn’t realize he was heading into free agency. Thought the Padres extended him.

He's basically the only guy they didn't extend, at least who's not looking at a $500 million contract.

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022

Dinosaurs! posted:

Snell is a rental whether he's here or somewhere else. Doubt he's dealt for prospects unless they're going immediately to the MLB roster.

Darvish&Snell&Musgrove and Suarez&Hader should keep things close enough in any playoff series for Kim&Tatis&Xander&Soto&Manny. Otoh, the record

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

AndrewP posted:

This is hilarious, the first time in a while the Orioles have been a buyer and almost nobody is selling

People predicted this when mlb expanded to almost half the teams getting in the playoffs

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Verlander is pitching this morning... you'd think they'd sit him if a deal was close

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/mikedeportes/status/1685693952194740224

I'm not sure why the Pirates would be interested in trading one of the best relievers in baseball this year with multiple years of control remaining to a division rival but uh, hell if you can get him then go for it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AndrewP posted:

The upcoming free agent class is stacked with front line starters so their patience is understandable.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1685712478280577025

Giants starting pitching gets thinner. More bullpen games incoming, or maybe, a trade...

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Feels like 2/3 of teams would love to add a reliable back end starter this deadline and there are like 6 of those players available.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

As much as I like Gleyber if they get legit young pitching for him, I wish him the best in the land of DeSantis

The Yankees CLEARLY need offense so of course they are pining away after 2 pitchers who have 4 ERAs in the majors this season.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 30, 2023

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Feels like 2/3 of teams would love to add a reliable back end starter this deadline and there are like 6 of those players available.

Yep. Dana Brown basically said that the Astros are not in the market for a SP (which after this game seems to be a bad move) because the demand is so high.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1685727209661579265

LMAO Dylan Carlson has a 345 SLG this season. Why? What is the point?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
He’s still young but he’s not bringing anything with his bat that you don’t already have in Bader. Idgi either but I hope the Yankees do it because the cardinals need young pitching

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If the Cubs extend Bellinger and get Ohtani, then I won't mind letting Stroman go.

Belli is getting a QO at the end of the season if he doesn't get an extension.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why are the cubs getting Ohtani? If he's fine with losing he'll just stay in LA... He's going to a winning team.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hicks to Toronto

gently caress

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Why are the cubs getting Ohtani? If he's fine with losing he'll just stay in LA... He's going to a winning team.

Winning teams with Ohtani-level payrolls are pretty scarce though. Or at least more scarce than we probably thought they'd be, coming into this season.

What's he gonna do, go play for the Yankees and have the same problems while enduring the NYC media blitz?

Honest question, who's out there right now that is leading their division but could also afford to pay Ohtani while keeping their existing core?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

quote:

@JeffPassan
The Toronto Blue Jays are finalizing a trade to acquire right-handed reliever Jordan Hicks from the St. Louis Cardinals, sources tell ESPN.

With Jordan Romano on the injured list, the Blue Jays get arguably the best relief arm on the market. First on the scene was
@CraigMish
9:33 PM · Jul 30, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress you Toronto. Lose some goddamn games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mdemone posted:

Winning teams with Ohtani-level payrolls are pretty scarce though. Or at least more scarce than we probably thought they'd be, coming into this season.

What's he gonna do, go play for the Yankees and have the same problems while enduring the NYC media blitz?

Honest question, who's out there right now that is leading their division but could also afford to pay Ohtani while keeping their existing core?

He's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be in NY, why would he want Chicago? I'd guess it's going to be LAD, LAA or maybe a wildcard like Seattle of Arizona.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

He's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be in NY, why would he want Chicago? I'd guess it's going to be LAD, LAA or maybe a wildcard like Seattle of Arizona.

Oh god if it's the Dodgers I won't be able to handle it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mdemone posted:

Oh god if it's the Dodgers I won't be able to handle it

Shoulda traded him. At least you'd have to something to show for it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Shoulda traded him. At least you'd have to something to show for it.

Death before dishonor

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022
Nice of Passan to confirm Hader isn't on the market with that last bit

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mcmagic posted:

He's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be in NY, why would he want Chicago?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1685742616036392960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Because the Cubs own and they have plenty of money to pay him and they are looking to be contenders going forward.

Ohtani will be a Cub and he will also be my friend.