Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there anything more terrifying than a tired and delirious toddler waving a marker around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

nachos posted:

Is there anything more terrifying than a tired and delirious toddler waving a marker around

Probably a tired and delerious toddler running around with a plastic marker in their mouth

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Renegret posted:

We do have a barfing pattern though, in that it's always a direct hit on me.

Speaking from experience, if your kiddo has a barfing problem, make sure you never talk to them or otherwise have your mouth open when your face is close to theirs…

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

It's OK guys, I've personally figured out how to guarantee a huge projectile vomit. Just buy a brand new carseat.

Best part is that immediately beforehand, I'd given the kids a plastic plate each cos they were eating muffins and I didn't want CRUMBS all over the new seat. Crumbs! Can you imagine! Definitely worse than what transpired 30 seconds later

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jumpsuit posted:

It's OK guys, I've personally figured out how to guarantee a huge projectile vomit. Just buy a brand new car.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oh God first day of daycare is tomorrow and I'm freaking out

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GoutPatrol posted:

Oh God first day of daycare is tomorrow and I'm freaking out

Enjoy your colds, its been two months for us and I've almost stopped coughing

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Any recommendations on programs, ways, or books/stuff to teach your kids to read via phonics?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Try Slavic languages, or German. English it too inconsistent.

I'm only half kidding. It's sure so much easier to sound out every grapheme, or have consistent phonemes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

King Hong Kong posted:

Anyone who buys my toddler Play-Doh is on my enemies list.

How about kinetic sand?

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

c355n4 posted:

Any recommendations on programs, ways, or books/stuff to teach your kids to read via phonics?

We've been having good progress with this book https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985/. We seriously started at just before 5, when he already had some previous exposure to phonics at pre-K. We're about 1/3 of the way through and just fly through the lessons now.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

A Bad King posted:

How about kinetic sand?

Or slime?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Enjoy your colds, its been two months for us and I've almost stopped coughing

Whoa, it's possible to stop coughing?

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
The first year of daycare we were sick at least once and usually twice a month. The second year we were sick once a quarter, and then it tapered right off.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

2DEG posted:

We've been having good progress with this book https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985/. We seriously started at just before 5, when he already had some previous exposure to phonics at pre-K. We're about 1/3 of the way through and just fly through the lessons now.

I’d recommend this book for most typically developing kids. It didn’t work for mine.

If verbally blending sounds or segmenting words into sounds is hard for your child, Heggerty Press has some standalone (purely verbal) phonemic/phonological awareness books, which is a vital pre-reading skill.

If your child is dyslexic or has ID, look for an Orton-Gillingham program like All About Reading or Logic of English; both programs have versions for younger beginners and versions for older beginners (my kid was 13 when I pulled them from public school and homeschooled for half a year; LoE for 6 months and Wilson Reading System at their school for the last two years has brought them from K to 3rd grade reading level).

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Yesterday the kiddo learned that magnets work on metal and not wood or plastic. Amazing to watch that kind of learning in REAL TIME!

Also we spent forever playing the Untitled Goose Game just honking at each other :3

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

First year of daycare we were sick about every other week from about October until April.
Second year we were sick continuously from January until April.
I really hope third year is better, I can't take another winter like this past one :smith:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jose Valasquez posted:

First year of daycare we were sick about every other week from about October until April.
Second year we were sick continuously from January until April.
I really hope third year is better, I can't take another winter like this past one :smith:

Our experience was that the third year was a lot better.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
The start of daycare was rough for us in terms of the little guy getting sick a LOT, but it was also a joy to watch how being around other kids boosted his development. It's like the older kids took him aside and went "OK, pal, here's how this crawling poo poo works."

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
We all had to take showers after spending three hours at the pool. Obviously my boyfriend helped his son out.

Five minutes later

“DADDY YOU HAVE A BIG PENIS”

I am dying. 😂

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

“GREAT HOG POPS”

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

dismas posted:

“GREAT HOG POPS”

I had to mask my laughter as coughing because boy we do not want that to become A Very Funny Thing To Say Everywhere

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I guess in theory I’m grateful for full family vacations, but holy poo poo is managing a toddler at a beach house a nightmare, especially with a teething infant that’s constantly attached to mama which means I have to facetank every delirious whim. So far the cycle has been play on beach => jump into water with full clothes and diaper => scramble for swimsuit/sunscreen/water diaper => proper swim => shower and snack, about every 2 hours. I guess I need to put more faith in the other adults here who all have older children, but it’s tough when your toddler can sprint to the water in about 20 seconds.

I can’t even drink my way through this! I‘ve been sober for a decade!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
HFM

Round 2

Fight!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

HFM stands for Have Fun Man (or Mom), right?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We where going home from sweden on a ferry recently after a car trip, we didn't have a cabin so we and many others sat in the disco just for the seats. I wondered about taking our kids there but saw many families, lack of seats on this boat... There were a few people dancing on the music but they left after a while and things calmed down.

Then käärija comes on (cha cha cha) and my son (almost 10) gets up and starts dancing on the empty dance floor and eventually is jointed by a bunch of older girls. I thought it was pretty impressive. I would never have dared get up in front of a huge room of strangers as a kid, nor as an adult... I think the kid's gonna be alright, he doesn't lack courage.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
The song is a bop that no one can resist. Cool that your kid started a spontaneous dance party!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You have dance clubs on ferries?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How else can you have a ferry dance? Make sure you eat nothing nor drink any wine, or you shall never leave the ferry kingdom

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
after his bath last night, my just-turned-2 son took off his towel to walk up the stairs, and every couple of steps would stop, stick out his butt and wiggle around, singing, "naked, naked!"

wish my husband was there to see it, because he'll probably never do it again lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's frankly bizarre how quickly a kid can go from thrashing and laughing to fully asleep

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I signed my 2.5 year old up for soccer in the fall! I’m going to be a soccer mom :woop:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My kids are 5 and 7 and neither has an ounce of interest in organized sports. The younger one will play catch with me and I’ve tried to get them excited for something but nope, nothing. I’m not going to make them do it but as a kid who grew up in organized sports it feels so weird that they’re not in softball, gymnastics, basketball, just anything.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My almost-5-yo was constipated over the weekend, which wasn't fun. Luckily she loves blueberries, so we let her free feed those all weekend & eventually she cleared the blockage without TOO much fuss.

But oh god. What was behind the blockage. She woke up in the middle of the night and had an accident and it was everywhere (but not on the bed!! Good girl was trying to get to the washroom!!) and it took forever to get her calmed down and showered. I hope that's the last of it.

Blueberries. :catstare:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My 4 yo loved soccer practice but then the moment the games started, he was suddenly too tired/hot/hungry/legs hurt.

Kid doesn't have a competitive bone in his body and I'm fine with that. The stereotypes about soccer moms and parents who take youth games too seriously are not an exaggeration.

I've never felt judged before for having a job but, here we are.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

My kids are 5 and 7 and neither has an ounce of interest in organized sports. The younger one will play catch with me and I’ve tried to get them excited for something but nope, nothing. I’m not going to make them do it but as a kid who grew up in organized sports it feels so weird that they’re not in softball, gymnastics, basketball, just anything.

I grew up playing soccer while my friends were in baseball/basketball, hockey etc

I mostly saw soccer as an activity I had to do, but baseball/basketball and especially hockey looked really interesting, I never thought to ask my parents if I could do those instead. Also I guess we got pretty active into weebalo/cub scouts and later boy scouts which ate up a lot of time

My guess on why we did soccer was because it was what was presented at the "after school activities" booth at parent-teacher night, or whatever

Camping is a pretty good not-organized not-sport worth checking out. A lot of my under-15 childhood was spent splashing around in creeks and lakes miles from the nearest parking lot

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah we go camping and they like that. Well, the splashing parts. They don’t like the sleeping in a tent part so we ended up starting to borrow a motor home to “camp” in (I still sleep in a tent.)

They’re active. They run around outside a lot, love to play with other kids at the playground, LOVE to swim. But when I ask if they want to join a swim team they want nothing to do with it.

Which is fine, they’ll be fine. Just weird to me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was active running around playing with my friends as a kid, but my parents tried and failed to get me into several organized sports. I just hated anything competitive. Then eventually I got into rollerblading, mountain biking, snowboarding. My mom was always worried I was going to break every bone in my body, but now I'm 45 and still never broken a bone.
It is becoming clear however that our son has inherited his mother's sense of coordination (days since she's stubbed a toe on furniture: 1) so I'm not sure where we'll fall on pushing sports. I feel like I benefitted from Tae Kwon Do but I didn't do that until my twenties, but they have a class at his preschool. Anyone with a 4 year old feel martial arts at that age are worthwhile?

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 1, 2023

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
If they had toddler taekwondo I would sign my dude up for that in a heartbeat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

remigious posted:

If they had toddler taekwondo I would sign my dude up for that in a heartbeat!

ohhhhhhh no I'm not falling for that

That little poo poo can already outrun me I'm not giving him the tools he needs to beat me in a fight