Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

I was watching some documentary about cults and the expert was saying how the leaders will often make their followers comply with ridiculous demands because they want to demonstrate the control they have over them. What the demands actually are doesn’t really matter, the compliance is the point.

That's what the TPA demanding a new mayor show adequate respect to a dead dog reminds me of.

It clearly works, because while it's fairly absurd, for a certain subset of people who are reasonably concerned about crime in the city, it draws a line between the new mayor, and crime happening right now, without there being an actual connection there. It's set the tone for the discussion going forward, and Chow can waste a lot of energy trying to convince people that she is sufficiently concerned about crime in Toronto.

Of course, she can also not, and just set and implement her policies to the best of her ability, and let the results speak for themselves. She's got 3/4ths of a term and considerably more direct power than any of her predecessors, so she can either make something of it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Why the gently caress are the police still legally able to train and use dogs as weapons? It's bad for the people the dogs are sent after and it's obviously bad for the dogs. People's natural reaction will be to fight back because they're getting mauled by a dog, so of course dogs and people are both at great risk in every interaction.

There seems to be more regulation around the use of tazers and pepper spray that is far less likely to cause permanent damage.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Because the police probably don't want to have to bit fit enough to chase someone down.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

Because the police probably don't want to have to bit fit enough to chase someone down.

Now remembering that picture someone posted in an old thread with a cop feeding his canine partner a poutine while on the job. Roly poly dogs wont be chasing anyone down either.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DrBox posted:

Why the gently caress are the police still legally able to train and use dogs as weapons? It's bad for the people the dogs are sent after and it's obviously bad for the dogs. People's natural reaction will be to fight back because they're getting mauled by a dog, so of course dogs and people are both at great risk in every interaction.

There seems to be more regulation around the use of tazers and pepper spray that is far less likely to cause permanent damage.

You try taking away a cop's weapon.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Well, as long as the poutine didn't hurt the pupper. The shits at worst. That makes me feel a bit better, that a dog got to enjoy poutine. Poutine is really good. 😀

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I would like it if police were on the subway and streetcars or if the TTC had some kind of security force that was visibly present. Mayor Chow should make that happen

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arabian Jesus posted:

I would like it if police were on the subway and streetcars or if the TTC had some kind of security force that was visibly present. Mayor Chow should make that happen

To what end? It’s horribly expensive and minimally effective. It just gives you the perception you might be safer.

Best spend the money you’d spend doing that to address the route causes of crime and disorder, that’s what I’ve been saying all along. But since that hasn’t been happening visibly, people are going to ask for more police, more crackdowns, harsher penalties, etc. and then the left such as it’s constituted in this country will go “hmm, well on one hand, spending money on cops, on the other spending money on people… let’s compromise and do nothing.” Problems will get worse, reactionaries will make hay.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not.

They are, and uniformed officers have been increasingly visible on TTC for months now. There are also TTC special constables, who are for all intents and purposes police while on TTC property, and they're visibly riding the system regularly too. What this has accomplished beyond slightly reducing the customer capacity of TTC vehicles is questionable, but they're there.

DrBox posted:

Perhaps notable: https://globalnews.ca/news/9837379/london-police-dog-bites-off-suspect-ear-no-charges-siu/

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 29, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

apatheticman posted:

The RCMP is fighting tooth and nail to hold on to loving chokeholds.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

No, I'm trying to take away the cop.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PT6A posted:

It’s horribly expensive and minimally effective. It just gives you the perception you might be safer.

But enough about cops,

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Remember that Australian woman who was on that talk show discussing Palestine who talked about how when the rocket alarms went off her kid's dog got scared?

That's what the dead dog parade reminds me of. More empathy for a dog than actual humans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bleck posted:

But enough about cops,

Yes, that's literally what I was talking about.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Adenoid Dan posted:

Remember that Australian woman who was on that talk show discussing Palestine who talked about how when the rocket alarms went off her kid's dog got scared?

That's what the dead dog parade reminds me of. More empathy for a dog than actual humans.

In this case, who are we not being empathetic toward by mourning the dog?

All dogs are Good Boys, even police dogs. It's their handlers who are frequently unethical.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
The dogs who are afraid of parades, obviously.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

All dogs are Good Boys, even police dogs. It's their handlers who are frequently unethical.

I love dogs but every human who dies in that city is more deserving*. Police dogs are weapons and shouldn't be used because they can't be controlled reliably. Nothing good comes from pretending police dogs are "officers"

*Oddly enough not human cops

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Adenoid Dan posted:

I love dogs but every human who dies in that city is more deserving*. Police dogs are weapons and shouldn't be used because they can't be controlled reliably. Nothing good comes from pretending police dogs are "officers"

*Oddly enough not human cops

More bike cops, less police doggos

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Won't someone please think of the horses? Who else will protect our subways?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

I think it's the juxtaposition of murdering actual humans with tasers, chokeholds, etc. without a care in the world and then holding a full honour parade for a dog.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I bet you all won't even think of one good alternative to having armed men drive around the streets looking for people to victimize. :smuggo:

I don't think that retraining them is useful. I tend to believe that removing the financial incentive for police to close ranks from the equation will result in a less politically cohesive body that would be easier to regulate. I think that would mean union busting to a degree but, it would also mean examining the profession of for profit policing and industry around supporting their militarization.

Police close ranks because it's the only way to advance and achieve stability in their careers. Maybe that means you funnel cops out of policing to better paying jobs like the military.

Police are called on to do work they aren't trained for (mental health crisis response), actually pivot and equip officers to handle that type of work. Create units that only respond to those calls.

Disarm the police, or at least have a system where they must 'sign out' lethal weapons from a weapon locker in their vehicle. I think this would make police confrontation much more de-escalation focused.

e: any dissent should be investigated by the gov who is supported by the military and treated as corruption etc.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 30, 2023

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

Police close ranks because it's the only way to advance and achieve stability in their careers. Maybe that means you funnel cops out of policing to better paying jobs like the military.

Police are called on to do work they aren't trained for (mental health crisis response), actually pivot and equip officers to handle that type of work. Create units that only respond to those calls.

the first point I can't tell if you're serious or not here because a 4-year constable is going to average 30-40k more per year than a 4-year corporal in the CAF. For the second to clarify, these units already exist in many (most?) police forces in Canada. Officers are paired with an actual mental health clinician and are simply there to drive them around and act as security in case things go south. Unfortunately they're not funded very well and aren't always staffed 24/7. Several 911 communications centres have also incorporated crisis workers to divert 911 calls to and officers don't get involved in these whatsoever, though oftentimes these callers already have a rapport with their local officers or simply want to speak to someone with a uniform in person for whatever reason.

associations should be busted though and actual consequences would go a long way

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

I think that would mean union busting to a degree but, it would also mean examining the profession of for profit policing and industry around supporting their militarization.

Here's an article from teen vogue of all places for you to read and consider about this issue:

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/what-to-know-police-unions-labor-movement

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PT6A posted:

Yes, that's literally what I was talking about.

You were talking about cops in the specific context of adding them to subways to alter people's perception of how safe they are on the subway, and I was implying that the reasons they are ineffective on the subway are also the same reasons they are ineffective in general, please try to keep up

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe we should teach police dogs to ride police horses, and just cut out the human cops all together.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Just think in 20 years we can have parades and state funerals for autonomous police robots that fall down a staircase while trying to tase a homeless person

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We could have police robot dogs and horses tomorrow if we gave them more funding.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

eXXon posted:

Hey MikeC, what do you think about this?

When will Mayor Chow be posting X to show respect?

Was away for the weekend. I think the first tweet is kinda weak but everyone and their grandma is out for 'recognition and support', whatever the gently caress that means, so why not the cops too? The 2nd tweet is just lol. It's a dog.

Vintersorg posted:

I remember MikeC from the WoW days and saying people should earn their gear and other bullshit. Conservative scum.

:magical:

Fidelitious posted:

I think it's the juxtaposition of murdering actual humans with tasers, chokeholds, etc. without a care in the world and then holding a full honour parade for a dog.

They generally murder the right kind of humans with said tasers and chokeholds which is why most people have no problem funding the police. The dog thing is kinda gauche, I agree.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MikeC posted:

They generally murder the right kind of humans with said tasers and chokeholds which is why most people have no problem funding the police.

I'm literally dying to hear more about which police murder victims deserved it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MikeC posted:

They generally murder the right kind of humans with said tasers and chokeholds which is why most people have no problem funding the police.

:raise:

Legit Businessman posted:

Here's an article from teen vogue of all places for you to read and consider about this issue:

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/what-to-know-police-unions-labor-movement

it's still weird to me that teen vogue has a lot of thoughtful left wing editorials and investigative journalism these days but it's been a thing for a while

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MikeC posted:

everyone and their grandma is out for 'recognition and support', whatever the gently caress that means, so why not the cops too?

I can think of a few reasons.

Anyways, gently caress the poo poo-rear end second part of your post.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

MikeC posted:

Was away for the weekend. I think the first tweet is kinda weak but everyone and their grandma is out for 'recognition and support', whatever the gently caress that means, so why not the cops too? The 2nd tweet is just lol. It's a dog.

:magical:

They generally murder the right kind of humans with said tasers and chokeholds which is why most people have no problem funding the police. The dog thing is kinda gauche, I agree.

Got a list of what kind of people it's okay to murder? I'd love to hear more, you piece of poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes cops kill each other by accident because they’re incompetent.

Except usually it’s the dog cops that they kill so that’s probably still not good.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Jordan7hm posted:

Sometimes cops kill each other by accident because they’re incompetent.

Except usually it’s the dog cops that they kill so that’s probably still not good.

Na that's definitely not it.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hey judge dredd if you're gonna post such obvious ragebait at least admit who you think deserves death by cop

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

acumen posted:

Hey judge dredd if you're gonna post such obvious ragebait at least admit who you think deserves death by cop

Oh, I am sorry, I forgot we are only allowed to talk about summarily executing LANDLORDS BY HANGING around here among other capitalist pigs. Forgive me.

If you want a serious discussion with me, feel free to talk about it in a serious tone.

edit: On the bright side, I am sure some of those people the police killed were land owners.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Post your list

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

mikec post the list

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Post the list or gently caress off out of this thread. A comment that disgusting doesn't deserve "serious" discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The impression I got from MikeC's post was they were saying "people the general population are generally more okay with being killed by cops." You know, like how police will choke out a homeless person and there's maybe some outrage from the left and then nothing really comes with it. Vs the reaction you see if a cop shoots a little white kid.

I dunno, maybe MikeC genuinely thinks there's right people for cops to kill, but it just sounds like the typical sarcasm we use to talk about police violence.

PT6A posted:

It's ACAB, not ACABETD (all cops are bastards except the dogs) :colbert:

But unironically, yes, police dogs are effectively victims to the system.

I haven't followed the entire conversation, but I think it's pretty pathetic police basically use k9 injuries and fatalities to score sympathy points or to drum up outrage.